Final

The Ocean Was a Witness to What Happened

 

It was close to 1am when Yoongi first met Park Jimin. It was a night full of restlessness for him, Yoongi couldn’t shut off his mind and it didn’t help that he hadn’t left his apartment in what could’ve been three days, he wasn’t sure when the last time was when he stepped onto a concrete pavement while the sun shone down. Knowing he probably wouldn’t sleep well that night anyway he shrugged on a hoodie and slipped on some shoes then left his apartment.

 
 

The night sky greeted him and the crisp air told him Autumn was around the corner. Yoongi sighed in relief as the shackles of being self kept in his apartment were released. He took his time to take a slow walk and take in the night, the bright stars guided him on his path.

 
 

It took about twenty minutes for him to reach the sandy beach, the tide was halfway out and the black choppy depths reflected the luminous moon for miles. Yoongi walked along the pavement that was just before the sand. The beach was empty and he decided he liked the sea the most when it was like this, it felt more intimate, just him and the sea and no other being. The waves were talking to his soul but he couldn’t understand what they were saying to him.

 
 

Yoongi walked further and breathed the sea air deeply but then stopped when he saw a figure standing in the wet sand, Yoongi squinted to try and get a better look at the person in the poor lighting. The figure was standing facing the water, hands in pockets, wind blowing short hair to the side. Yoongi’s eyes widened when the stranger suddenly fell to his knees and bowed his head. Yoongi was frozen still as he watched them, he knew it wasn’t his business but he couldn’t help but watch.

 
 

He didn’t know how long he had been just standing there but his feet had started to tingle from standing in one place for so long, the boy in the sand lifted his head and stared at the moon, he slowly brought a hand out to reach for the white light in the sky but it fell down to his side quickly. Yoongi didn’t register that he had stepped off of the pavement and onto the soft sand. Each step he took towards the stranger was slow, unsure and heavy, he didn’t know what he was doing or what he was going to say to this person.

 

 

When Yoongi had gotten closer to the boy he saw him writing something in the sand, he heard him sniff and noticed he was silently crying. Yoongi stopped a couple of meters away from the hunched over figure who hadn’t even noticed him approach, too caught up in his thoughts.

 

“Uh are you okay?” The stranger jumped at the voice and let out a small squeak as he turned to Yoongi. They stared at each other and Yoongi noticed the tears that didn’t stop running down the guy’s face and now that he could fully see him he saw how young he actually looked.

 

 

“Okay stupid question I know.” Yoongi looked out into the water, he was closer and felt the magnetic pull of the waves calling to him. He looked back at the boy who was now staring at the sand in front of him, Yoongi followed his gaze and read what he had written in the sand, it was a goodbye message to put it simply.

 

“I’m sorry,” the boy scoffed and turned his face away

 

“You don’t even know me,” he wiped his tears

 

“I can see you’re suffering and as someone who knows what that’s like I’m sorry you have to feel it.” He swapped what foot he was putting the most of his weight on.

 
 

They were silent, the only noises were the crashing waves and they both looked out at the sea, sharing a bad night for the both of them.

 

“He’s gone,” Jimin whispered out as he stared blankly, Yoongi just looked at him “he’s gone forever and I loved him. ! I loved him so much,” he dropped his head again and added onto his sand message under where lover was and put best friend.

 

 

Yoongi was surprised when the boy suddenly stood up and staggered closer to the water. Yoongi quickly went after him, for why he did he wasn’t even sure.

 

“Are you happy now?” The boy’s voice was laced with anger “Are you happy world? You took the one person that meant to most to me. Why? Why?

 

Why?!” His voice broke as he shouted the last part and fell onto his hands and knees and wailed. Yoongi leant down next to him and rested a hand on his back but it was the wrong move as the boy shot up and glared at him “Why are you here? Who even are you? Why are you doing this?” None of his questions got answered as Yoongi didn’t know the answers himself.

 

 

They stayed there like that for what must of been half an hour, Yoongi had just sat and watched the moon rise higher and higher with the boy hunched over on the wet sand beside him. The sobs had slowed down and eventually turned into sniffs, his breathing slowed and Yoongi looked over at him when he took a long shaky breath then sat up.

 

 

They sat in the same place for even longer, the boy pulling his knees to his chest and hugging them. Time passed quickly and slowly and Yoongi would of enjoyed the time more if the boy beside him wasn’t hysterically upset.

 

 

They were finally moved by the incoming tide as the hours passed, Yoongi hadn’t realised just how long they’d been out there for but the tide and

slowly brightening sky gave him some indication. They were pushed back to the dry sand and watched as the boy’s message was taken by the sea, his final message to who he’d lost.

 
 

The sun replaced the moon’s position and the pair watched as the orange ball rose and changed the sky to a pink to red gradient. In the new light Yoongi looked over to the exhausted boy, his eyes were lifeless and looked irritant from crying, his face swollen from the streams of salty tears and no sleep. Yoongi knew he probably had eyebags and didn’t look his best either but the quiet stranger was worse as you could see the pain he was going through on his face.

 

 

“Thank you.” The boy’s voice was strained and raw “Thank you for staying with a nobody,”

 

“You don’t have to thank me.” Yoongi studied the sand that was trapped on his shoes

 

“Why though?”

 

“Because you looked like you needed someone.” He offered him a small smile which wasn’t reciprocated “I’m Yoongi,” he felt like it was much too late

for name giving

 

“Jimin.”

 

“Listen Jimin, I know I’m a stranger but sometimes it’s good to talk to someone about your feelings and at times it’s easier to talk to someone you don’t

know about it. I’d be happy to be that person if you ever did need someone.” Jimin just made a noise that showed Yoongi he heard what he said “Do

you have a phone?”

 

“Yeah,” Jimin took his phone out of his pocket and gave it to Yoongi to put his number in

 

“You don’t have to call or text but you’ll have my number just in case.” He handed the phone back and silence washed over them again.

 
 

The sun was rising quicker and the sky was turning a purple.

 

“His name was Taehyung,” Yoongi was surprised by Jimin speaking “he was my best friend and boyfriend but now he’s gone.”

 

“It’s hard when those that mean something great leave us but what you need to remember is that their memories are with us, they won’t be forgotten.” Yoongi leant back on his hands

 

“Thank you, Yoongi.”

 

 

People started to appear, buisiness men and women on their way to work for an early start, people out running in the early morning. Nobody knew what had happened between two young lost men on the beach that night and they’d never know, the moon and early sun were the only one’s to witness them.

 
 

“I think I’m going to go home,” Jimin said with no emotion

 

“I can walk you if you want?” Yoongi asked as they stood up, Jimin stood with a sullen hunch which made him look smaller than he actually was

 

“No it’s okay, you’ve done more than enough,” they stepped onto the pavement

 

“Don’t forget if you need anyone I’ll be there just send me a text or call,” they faced each other for the last time

 

“Thank you, goodbye Yoongi.” Jimin turned around and started to walk

 

“Bye Jimin.” Yoongi watched Jimin’s retreating figure until he was gone then headed for his own home.

 

 

The bright morning sky carried him home.

 


A/N: Thank you for reading! This is probably garbage but I wanted to post it anyway. I got the idea for this when listening to the nbhd's Greetings from California. Comments and feedback is appreciated^^