Drabbles

Free Samples: A Writing Guide

This came from my blog. I thought that it's better I put it all in a series.

I am new to the site, but I am not new to writing, I've written really long chaptered fics before, though most are deleted or still in the vault, haha. I mainly write for my own enjoyment, sometimes I want to read a story but there is none that cater to my style, so I write them myself. It sounds obnoxious, but this comes about when one is picky and have too much imaginations.

The intention for this advice series is to guide other writers a bit regarding what to look for in your imagination when you write your story.


Write A Story: Drabbles

I will start out with the background. It is an odd way to start, since most would starts out with the Plot. However, I often write fantasy stories, and how my story started out often rely on a scene in my head that inspired me. And this usually ends up becoming just drabbles of some sorts. Drabbles are short, does not really need a plot line. Sometimes just some fun dialogues, or just a scene that would further makes you want to write more and continue on into a story. Often time, they turned into short story. I recommend to just write the scene in  your head out as a drabble, do not think about plotline or anything, just write it out and then read it, leave it, then read it later. If it makes you want to write more, then write more.

This is the five main things that I look for in my imagination, scene by scene: Mood, Time, Objects, Subjects, Actions.

Mood:

The mood of the scene can be happy, serene and tranquil, chaotic, etc.

Time:

What time of the day is it? Is it morning? Is it noon? Evening? Night? Describing the time of the day can also help describe the mood of the scene.

Objects:

In Real life, or in fantasy, there will always be some type of objects behind us or around us. Imagine the scene as in your room, with a wall here, or a wall there and you set up where the bed is, where the desk is. Or you can just imagined the scene is a prairie/valley, and on the prairie are some trees, flowers, grasses. Etc.

Subjects:

Who is in this scene? Is there anybody there? If so, how many? How do they stand? What or Who are they looking at? You can also get very details into the descriptions of their clothes, hair, facial features, etc. I often don't care for those things, unless it's really related to their character and something of importance that I want reader to know about.

Actions:

What is happening? Who is doing what?

I know my explanations is not very detailed, it is hard to explain it, so I'll give you a few examples, and try to figure out the five parts in each scene.


Examples: I

The Moon and I (you can already tell that it's gonna be night time, haha).

Outside is very quiet, but I can still hear the crickets, cricketing a serene melody against the howling wind.

I looked out the window and saw the moon, up above the sky, shining brightly, overlooking the meadow. 

The flowers all went to sleep and the fireflies are out on the edge of the lake.

Mother said to never go out at night, especially when it's dark out, but mother worries to much.

There is the bright lit moon overlooking everything. What could possibly go wrong?

Yet, I contemplated for a bit, should I risk being punished by mother, and have the best adventure of my life, or ...but nothing will happen!

So, I tipped toe over to my closet, 'OW!' I kicked my bed's post.

"WHAT'S GOING ON UP THERE!?" Mother shouted.

"Ah drat, mother is still up." I whispered to myself, then I heard footsteps going up the stairs, and I immediately jumped on my bed, kicked my blanket opened and pulled it over my head immediately.

"My little hopscotch, was it you that i heard screaming just now?" Mother whispered to me.

I didn't answer, I was pretending to sleep, but I realized my bunny ears were sticking out, so I gently, snuck my paw up the blanket and pull them down. Hopefully, mother didn't see that.

Oh well, I guess it's best that I go to sleep now, good night my beautiful moon.


Example II: The Friend that Became a Matchmaker

‘What is love that possessed a person to love unconditionally for ten years? Is it even love if it’s from a young boy at seven to a young girl at six? Why keep this love for so long even after rejections? Absurd! How can someone stay loving one person forever like this? Why waste your teenage life like this? Why waste life for one love? If she doesn’t accept you for a decade, will you wait a century? Absurd!’

‘Jinwoo, shut up!’ Jaebum closed his book and let out a deep sigh. He couldn’t even read in peace due to Jinwoo’s yapping all afternoon. And he deliberately went a bit further than the campus of their high school to read in this desolated park. Why is this fool always following him?

‘Jaebum-ah, this buddy of yours is just worrying~~’ Jinwoo feigned a weep, kneeling on one knee to hold onto Jaebum’s hand, ‘As soon as I heard that you were rejected, I ran out from the hospital and came to visit you. Don’t you worry old buddy, I will make it right and set you up with better girls!’

‘Don’t you dared!’ Jaebum warned with his soulless eyes.


Example III: The Matchmaker Friend's Plan

In a dimly lit staled room with old newspapers plastered over the walls, with an old war memorabilia of an armchair and a black hello kitty sofa by the wall, there was a table in the middle and a few folded chairs.

‘Okay, listen up! This is gonna be our plan to mend the pieces of our Jaebum’s heart!’ Jinwoo lay out the map of a blown up Jaebum’s heart mri scan on the table.

‘The ? When did you get this?” Mino asked.

‘Please don’t tell me this is a real scan of his heart!’ Jackson said.

‘Ah, don’t worry, don’t worry, I got permission from my dad.’ Jinwoo reassured, “now! Back to our plan! So, Jaebum’s heart was scattered into 12 pieces.”

‘Eh? Why 12 pieces?’ Taehyun asked, solemnly sitting at the corner with his Russian blue cat. And suddenly the atmosphere turned dried and cold.

‘Why are you here?’ the other three asked in shaky voices.

‘I have no plans for today and saw you guys being secretive, so I followed. So have we decided to kill Jaebum and dissect his heart?’ Taehyun asked.

‘Uh…no?’ Jackson will always be wary and confused of this hyung’s motive.

‘Oh, okay, then I’ll just sit and watch what you idiots are doing,’ Taehyun dragged a chair over and sits comfortably with his legs crossed and his cat, Mr. Aryan on his lap.


Example IV: Just a Moment

It was in the midst of Autumn that Jaebum saw her, sitting quietly to herself on the bench underneath the big oak tree. He remembered it as a blissful moment every afternoon as he passed by on his bike. She would be reading, sketching, or just simply enjoying herself counting the fallen leaves. And each time he wondered who she was waiting for, if only he had stop to observe a little longer. Truthfully, he just wanted to have a look at her for more than just a few seconds speeding by.

The edge of autumn came, he found the courage to stop his bike one afternoon. She was sitting quietly with a book, laughing to herself as she read. He parked his bike to the side of the tree. She glanced at him then back to her book as he settles down on the other end of the bench. The awkward moment commenced. He looked away and so did she, she couldn’t even continue her reading.

The wind blew by and the leaves descends. They gazed up to the fallen leaves, each has a quaint smile on their face.


Example V: Lost

Jackson had in his hand the address on a piece of napkin, but the streets are tough to get by. They are narrowed, and there are no signs. He had to use French to ask for directions but even so, he couldn’t understand even with the dictionary opened. Homesick, lovesick, and hungry, he stopped his search in front of a cafe, L’Objet Perdu. He ordered a salami sandwich and a cup of cafe-au-lait. He was in luck, the moment he settled down to the seat, the rain poured. He reads the address one more time, doesn’t seemed to exist. Or maybe he’s lost. He checked the GPS on his phone, nothing shows up.


Example VI: On Edge

The edge of winter is here.

The snows cover and hide away the many graves on the ground of the mansion’s front garden; giving it a pure clean look. The pot of rose bush out on his balcony is cover with snow, and the roses turns into rose hips.

He lights up the one candle on the cake and stare at it for a few seconds before blowing it out. He pushes the cake aside before opening up the yellow envelope that he receives for his birthday. The envelope comes from an unexpected source.

He smiles when he opens the journal and see each page has a rose embedded along with the date.

She knows he does not like white roses so she has them in the range of red roses, with only his birthday segment has a blue rose, and the message she wrote along with it has him grinning from ear to ear.

I was normal on other days, but my temperature suddenly drops on this day, and I feel blue. Do you know why? It’s because I remember that night, and I feel lonely without you.

He checks the envelope again to see if there is anything more, but that is it. No note to go along, just a journal with roses.

He threw the journal on the coffee table. He his lips, and his hands fidgets; he cracks his knuckles. His hands forms into fists as he tries to hold in his anger. He is angry at himself the most for agreeing to this nonsense from his father and family.


Go write some drabbles, and don't think too much about everything else, just get the scene out of your head, that is releasing stress.

Till next time...