1/1

Only Fools Fall

He wasn't sure how long he had been staring, though he's sure it's past the level of being creepy. But how could he not stare? Just a few tables away from him sat Min Yoongi. Sure, Jeongguk was the one to actually be a child of Aphrodite but Yoongi was one of the most beautiful people he had ever seen. If not, the most beautiful person he has ever seen. Which Seokjin would surely object to. Either way, these days he had been catching himself staring at the son  of Athena a lot lately. He's not sure when this crush settled itself in his heart and mind but it was ever-present and prominent. Maybe it started the day Chiron asked Yoongi to help him with his archery. Yoongi touched his hands, shoulders, arms and each touch left a tingling sensation that couldn't be forgotten. Or maybe it was the calm aura Yoongi had that made Jeongguk so attracted to him. Whatever it was, he didn't feel his crush leaving anytime soon.


 

"Jeongkookie..." He heard beside him, though he ignored it. "Jeongkookie." He heard once again, but it was the hand that waved in front of his face and distorting his view of Yoongi that made him pay attention to whom the voice came from. He looked over at Jimin who currently had an expression of amusement and worry as he looked at him. Odd mix, he thought. "What?" He finally asked the other. "I was trying to get you to stop staring, it was starting to get weird. I'm surprised Yoongi hyung hasn't noticed you basically staring into his soul for the past five minutes." Jeongguk rolled his eyes at the comment but that didn't hide the pink color that tinted his cheeks as he averted his attention to the food he previously abandoned, remembering how hungry he was and momentarily forgetting his crush that sat a few tables away from him. 

                                                                                                                                            ☾ . : 。*

The next time he found himself near Yoongi was at another one of their archery training sessions. This had been only their fourth one and he was already getting better. Maybe it was the will of wanting Yoongi to be proud of him that helped improve so quickly. Or it was just pure skill. (Truthfully, Jeongguk was betting on the first one) He shot another arrow into the bullseye and smiled proudly. Yoongi walked over to him from the tree he was leaning against and patted him on the back. "You're getting a lot better." Jeongguk's smug smile turned into a shy one at the compliment and he thought how ridiculous it was that the older male made him blush like an idiot when it should be the way around. Despite the children of Aphrodite being extremely beautiful a lot of them were awkward fools. But they always knew how to turn the switch and be what was expected of them. Well, Jeongguk usually did, until Yoongi came along. 

"How did you get so good at this?" Jeongguk questioned Yoongi as they took out the arrows from the board. "I had a trainer myself. I wasn't the most athletic when I got here two years ago." Yoongi chuckled at the memories, in turn making Jeongguk chuckle as well. "Who helped you?" He asked as they stashed their arrows away. "Oh, Hoseok. Y'know from the Apollo cabin?" Jeongguk nodded as he recognised the name. "Yeah, everyone knows he is. He's pretty much the sunshine of the entire camp." Yoongi nodded in agreement. "Yeah." The sigh the elder admitted wasn't of exasperation or annoyance but fondness and the pout that formed on Jeongkook's lips could not be stopped at the sound of it. "Well, I have to go." Jeongguk looked over Yoongi's shoulder to see Jihoon, also a son of Athena, waiting for him. Jeongguk just nodded as Yoongi was already walking over to the boy and he was left there with his mood dampened for what he sure would be the rest of the day. 

                                                                                                                                             ☾ . : 。*

Jeongguk sprawled himself over Jimin's legs with a heavy, and exaggerated, sigh as a way to get the other's attention. "Hyuuung." He whined when Jimin's eyes still hadn't left book he was reading. The elder bookmarked the page before setting it beside him. "Yes, Jungkookie?" He ran a hand through the younger's hair like he always did when he needed some comfort and he just liked doing it. "I'm having love trouble." The sentence was finished off with a childish pout and Jimin didn't bother to suppress a giggle which just made Jeongguk pout even more, coupled with a low grumble, because this was a serious matter. "You shouldn't be having any love trouble, Jeongguk. You come from the goddess of love, remember?" 

"Yes, I know. We're supposed to be some kind of love masters or whatever but not all of us can be like that, not all of us can be like you." Bitterness practically oozed of Jeongguk at the moment but none of his words were meant to be malicious. He would gladly be the stereotypical Aphrodite kid if it made everything easier. "I'm not a ‘love master’," Jimin protested putting air quotes around the term, "I'm just good at reading people." Jeongguk grumbled again at how that they might as well be the same thing. "Either way, what's wrong?" Jimin posed the question yet he could take a guess at what was troubling the younger male. 

"I like someone..." His voice fading off for a few seconds until Jimin let out a hum and nodded, indicating to continue. "And I think he likes someone else and it and I don't know what to do." At this point, he changed his place to be beside Jimin on the bed that certainly wasn't made for two people and buried his head into the crook of his neck almost as if he was embarrassed by his words and was attempting to hide in any way he could. "You're talking about Yoongi hyung, right?" The silence he received was taken as a yes. "Who do you think he likes?" Jeongguk let out a sigh as he moved his head to be able to look at Jimin. "Hoseok, from the Apollo cabin." Jeongguk wished he could say that with disdain or anger because it would be easier to be mad at Hoseok for taking something he wanted to be his but he couldn't bring himself to do so. Though he wasn't close to the son of Apollo the few times they have interacted have always been nice and he knew Hoseok always had good intentions and Jeongguk was just sad he wasn't the one being spoken of with fondness. 

"There was this way he talked about him and there was this look in his eyes..." Jeongguk responded when asked of why he thought Yoongi liked Hoseok, though he trailed off again as he didn't want to think about how much his crush liked someone else. "You said Hoseok trained him?" Jeongguk nodded. "Well, what if you're just interpreting everything the wrong way? What you saw could have been admiration. Kind of like how student looks up to their favorite teacher." Jeongguk wanted to believe that, he really did, but there was this part of his brain that fed him doubts and insecurities and all he wanted to do was hide again. His head found its place in the crook of Jimin's like before. "Just go talk to him. It's better to know for sure then to ruin yourself with questions of the unknown." There was a brief silence before Jeongguk let out an airy chuckle. "What's so funny?" Jeongguk looked at Jimin again. "You sound like some old wise man and it's weird." Jimin rolled his eyes, with a smile, and hit him in the chest lightly. "Whatever. But think about what I said." Silence rolled over them once again.

                                                                                                                                                  ☾ . : 。* 

Yoongi didn’t show up for their training session the next time it came around. Jeongguk shot a few on his own and once that got boring he sat on a tree stump to wait for the other. He didn’t know how long he waited, an hour or maybe more, but he knew that he felt rather pathetic sitting there with hopeful eyes that searched for the familiar face. But all he got was questioning and curious glances from the campers who passed by him. Jeongguk picked what was left of his pride and left the spot, with a backside that ached from the wood and a frown on his lips. He kept thinking about why Yoongi never showed. It wasn’t like him. Yoongi was a punctual guy and not the type to back out of something before he finished it. Though, no matter what he thought of it all led back to one reason that Yoongi wasn’t there: Hoseok

His worries were proven to be correct. He saw the two sitting at the tables the campers sat to eat. Yoongi sat across from Hoseok. He looked down shyly at his hands that were resting on the table. Hoseok had a smile on his face, it wasn’t necessarily a grin but it was sincere nonetheless. From where he stood he could see Yoongi’s pale cheeks turn a shade of pink and the weight of every doubt and insecurity being right made him want to crumble to the ground. But he held himself together because he spent enough time looking pathetic in front of his peers. He was forgotten, is a thought that kept taunting him as he walked away with steps that felt all too heavy and a lump in his throat. Again, he couldn’t get himself to hate Hoseok even if he desperately wanted to. He couldn’t hate someone for taking what was never his. What would never be his. Now he knew, with a heart that felt like it shattered into a million pieces, that there was a reason it was called a crush.