Prologue.

Princess Of The Barn

 

‘’You’re a disgrace!’’  

 

Disgrace.

 

The word that was so familiar to me echoed in my head and I realized my dad needed to find a synonym for the word, like it was getting so overused by now.

 

‘’Steph! Are you even listening?!’’

 

I looked up and at my dad whose face was red as a tomato by all the yelling, and I raised my brows. His finger was waving in my face as he once again started scolding me. Gosh, this is so typical - story of my life. I sighed and ran a hand through my hair as I leaned back on the couch. I let my eyes trail around the living room, and my eyes laid on my stepmom, who stood leaning against the door frame with a small smirk plastered on her face - oh how the was enjoying this. She had always hated me and I had always hated her. So honestly, if she was sitting in my position, I would probably make some popcorn and enjoy every second of it as well.

  I looked back at my dad with my brows furrowed. I was getting so bored by now, so I decided to open my big mouth and annoy him even more. ‘’Can’t you just skip to the point?’’

  My dad silenced and looked at me as I continued. ‘’I mean just skip to the point and ground me or whatever punishment you’re gonna give me.’’

  ‘’You want me to skip to the point?’’ My dad recited and I nodded as I watched him pace around in front of me. He scoffed in return and broke into a fake smile as he threw his hands in the air. ‘’Fine then. Okay. Go up to your room and pack your bags.’’

‘’What?’’ Was I not getting grounded?

 

‘’I’m sending you to your mom.’’

 

Out of all the times in my life I had been shocked, this had to be the most iconic one. My entire stomach turned and I started wondering if there was a way to un-skip to the point. Sent to my mom? The woman who had left me as a child to remarry and make a new family. I was being sent to her? Wait what… He couldn’t be serious, there was no way the old man was getting rid of me. But looking at his facial expression… he was dead serious.

 

‘’Is this her idea?’’ I stood up in a swift movement and pointed at my step-mom angrily. ‘’H-how-how can you do this?’’ My voice was getting shakier the louder I started speaking, but with all the emotions flowing through my body, I didn’t know how to handle them - I typically didn’t. And it only made me angrier and even more frustrated.

 

But no matter how angry or sad I was, my dad kept looking at me with the same empty eyes. Was I looking into the eyes of the devil himself now? Okay no, that would be my stepmom but seriously…

  ‘’Don’t point finger at your mother.’’ My father threatened through clenched teeth. ‘’Now go get to your room and pack your goddamn stuff!’’

  ‘’No I refuse! Dad please I swear I’ll-’’ I began to plead but was rudely cut of by the cold scoff that escaped my stepmoms mouth and I looked at her with fire shooting from my eyes.

‘’Oh darling it’s too late for that now.’’ She smirked and walked up to my dad as she grabbed his arm hugging it tightly. ‘’You’re mother is picking you up tomorrow morning.’’