Discount Runner and the Runaway Prince Pt.1

I'll have a TaecKhun and... a TaecKhun, please
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hey, there! Happy Christmas, my lovely subjects! It's been a long time since I posted here. It's because I had been busy with Ætla Ójafnaðr lately and also, I was not in the right condition to finish anything for the last two weeks. OTL Hahaha. This, however, turns out a bit different from what I intended in the first place (most of Nichkhun's back story is changed), and I don't know where had my comedy went, so please make do with this.

Title: Discount Runner and the Runaway Prince, Part 1.

Genre: Drama, a little bit comedy, is not in this part, sorry. (lol)

Summary: In which Ok Taecyeon is a man addicted to discounts and member specials and Nichkhun Horvejkul is a rich son who runs away from home. Thanks to a crushed tumbler, Taecyeon now has to shelter the demanding runaway prince and think of a way to survive with his way of living.

Warning: this is not as funny as I wanted (lol)

“Today’s discount is at Vallhalmark. Twenty percent off for half a pound of minced beef, green bean only. Seventy percent off for selected imported snacks. Fifteen percent off for every pack of enoki mushrooms. Today’s special member discount is at Kingbuck’s Coffee: ChocoRilla Frappuccino, regular or large, with price of one size below. Tumbler special at Nera Café. Anything for $3, regular size.”

“Whoa, you really know everything, don’t you, Hyung?” Chansung said in awe. Taecyeon snapped his special journal shut, smiling smugly.

“Are you going to pursue those? Do you even have time for all those?” Minjun asked, skeptically leering down as he put his elbow on Chansung’s shoulder. Taecyeon scoffed, and then, in a fashion of mighty eagle, he declared:

“Why the heck not? Well, this time I will have to choose Nera over Kingbuck.”

So, this was the tale of Ok Taecyeon, normal office worker—the prospective future head of creative department—who was likeable but also questionable. He did not remember much about how this weird obsession started, perhaps somewhere between him graduated from high school, and began to live on his own in this faraway fun island to him beginning to work at this corporation. He collected privilege cards and member cards for special discounts, he marked and put notes in his journal about specials that happened that particular day, and he collected pretty much everything that would make him pay less or none for something that sometimes he did not actually need. He lived frugally, but also, stupidly—as for the reason, you know already: he bought one too many unnecessary things at bargain sales.

“I’d like one dark chocolate frappe, here’s my tumbler,” Taecyeon ordered at the counter, handing the Easter special tumbler he bought last month to the cashier slash barista whom he knew only started to work here a little bit over three weeks ago.

“That will be $3, sir.”

“Here’s the money.”

“Your receipt, sir. Please wait for a moment.”

Taecyeon nodded and slithered toward an empty stool nearby, waiting patiently. The new barista didn’t even bother asking for his name—all employees including the manager of the shop knew his name; it had been added into their new employees’ initiation. No one misspelled his name, too, thanks to this obsession. He was a regular here—a maniac, some people (namely a bastard went by the name Minjun and sometimes Wooyoung and from time to time Junho) said. He fished out his phone and busied himself with texts and news articles as his order was being prepared. He, then, opened his daily planner to mark his accomplishments so far. Today, he would drink this special prized beverage (check!), drop by Vallhalmark to buy all discounted items, and he would sleep after planning for big discount tomorrow at the Orange Mall. He certainly did not need any more long sleeved sweaters or turtlenecks, but the discount was up to 90% and it was far too good to pass. Sometimes Taecyeon thought he was crazy.

“Mr. Taecyeon, one dark chocolate frappe!”

Taecyeon rose at the call of his name. He took the tumbler and left the shop. Although he thought it was quite a nice day, it seemed that today was his unlucky day. Just as he took a single step outside, someone bumped into him, knocking the tumbler out of his hand. The poor vessel rolled away on the paved road and ultimately met the busy road ahead. A truck passed by and crushed it into pieces.

“My… tumbler…” Taecyeon was too shocked that his voice almost inaudible. He picked up the remaining pieces that flew to the side.

“Sorry about it, I’ll buy one as compensation,” a voice told Taecyeon. He whipped his head quickly. He glared at a disgustingly handsome man that had enough bravery to speak to Taec after what he had done.

“That’s my tumbler, man! Watch where you are going, will you? And it was a special edition, too!” lamented Taecyeon.

“I’ll buy a new one, exact copy of that, as an apology, okay?” the man said coolly, fishing out his wallet without too much thought and proceeding to enter the shop. Taecyeon was fuming, face red and teeth gritted. He pulled the man’s arm.

“Don’t take it lightly, stranger. That was not ordinary tumbler. It held memories of my hard work and discipline, you bastard!”

“Huh? That’s just a ing beverage holder, man, what’s wrong with you?” the man said, visibly annoyed, but he did not raise his voice. He slapped away Taecyeon’s hand from his arm and glared hard at the slightly taller man, but Taecyeon swiftly caught his wrist.

“Give me your ID,” demanded Taecyeon, closing in on the stranger’s face.

“What?”

“Your ID. I’ll hold on to it until you replace the one you broke,” said Taecyeon. He took this very seriously since the man seemed to be far unsympathetic and proud, not to mention stupidly confident that everything could be solved with some money in his stash—no matter how deep his pocket was, really.

“Wait, what? My ID?”

“You said you will get me a replacement, right? I doubt you can find it within five minutes, so I’ll hold on to your ID and I’ll give you my card. Once you find the tumbler, find me and I’ll give your ID back.”

“You underestimate me!” the stranger growled—but somehow his voice was mellifluous and lacked the necessary intimidating tone in it.

“So, you’re afraid to take up the challenge? If you are really as big as your talk, this will not be a big deal for you,” Taecyeon said with a wide, irritating grin. The man huffed, vexed and challenged by the words. He harshly pulled back his hand to coil out of his branded wallet the ID Taecyeon wanted. He slapped the card on Taecyeon’s chest and shot him daggers. For some unknown reasons, Taecyeon felt this glare was familiar—did they meet before? Or did Taecyeon see him somewhere? He wasn’t sure. It slipped off his mind as soon as he attempted to recall the memories.

“I’ll find it in less than five minutes! Stay here!”

“Here’s the example,” Taecyeon said grimly, handing out the pieces of his shattered tumbler to the man.

“Freaking maniac—he doesn’t know who he is talking to!” the man mumbled angrily as he marched into the shop with the pieces.

Taecyeon stood at the same spot, reading the ID card he was given. The name was Nichkhun Horvejkul, age 28—the same as he was, well, this man actually was older by six months—and he was Thai. Taecyeon put the card inside his own wallet, pulled out his business card, and waited patiently. Unfortunately, he knew well that Mr. Horvejkul wouldn’t be able to find the exactly same tumbler. He knew that the item was already sold out just a week after its initial release. The promotion for it was crazily cheap and people could not pass up the chance, especially because Taecyeon encouraged them. This was exactly why Taecyeon was almost made the head of sales and marketing department—too bad the creative department stole him first.

Five minutes passed and Mr. Horvejkul stomped his way out of Nera Café. He looked upset—but it was a given. Taecyeon waited until the man stood right in front of him, then he asked, totally smug: “How is it?”

“Do you see anything in my hands? They’re freaking empty!” the man yelled, showing his empty palms to Taecyeon.

“I guess now you can keep my card, here,” Taecyeon said, exhibiting his big teeth, as he slipped his business card into Horvejkul’s pocket. The man was red, so close to explosion. Taecyeon stepped back and gestured a salute. With a graceful mocking bow, he excused himself, “Until then, Mr. Horvejkul. Wish I could accompany your search, but I have a date at Vallhalmark right now. Arriverdeci!”

“Bastard,” the man said, sighing loudly as he saw Taecyeon fled the scene. The last thing Taecyeon saw was the reflection of the man taking out his phone and making a call.

*****

 Taecyeon opened his flat’s door and shut it with a kick. His hands were occupied by two large plastic bags. He managed to buy all discounted minced meat packs and all available imported snacks, and of course every pack of enoki mushroom he could get. It was a rough battle. He must fight against valiant soldiers of the households: moms. Taecyeon would never imagine a big sale without them around. It was so much worse than fighting for number one Christmas gift last year—or Black Friday, always Black Friday.

“You bought unnecessary things again,” greeted his sister, Jihyen, who was visiting him for two days, staying at the hotel across the street, but since she had spare keys, she always crashed into the flat without a notice. She was supposed to leave for their hometown in an hour.

“There was a big discount, Noona, you can’t blame me,” Taecyeon said, defending himself. He laid down the big plastic bags on his small round table in the kitchenette. He opened his fridge, finding every shelf and nook had been occupied by many more unnecessary grocery items he had been purchasing the past week.

“Taecyeon, I’ll take some of these, okay? Try to spend your money on something you really need,” Jihyen said, pitying her little brother. She took out two packs of meat and three packs of mushrooms. She brought with her the rest while leaving all the snacks behind. Taecyeon managed to cook part of his purchased items and ate the cuisine with his sister before she left for the airport. Taecyeon was a big eater, but it seemed that his kitchenette was always full—he wondered why (his sister would roll her eyes at this).

“Be careful, Noona,” said Taecyeon, sending his sister away by the door.

He went back to his apartment. Everything was in order inside his place. There, in the corner, was a cupboard where Taecyeon kept everything. He pulled the top drawer, revealing ordered files. Running his fingers to the Black Friday section, he fished out a small bundle of papers.

“A Black Friday is coming up soon, not my favorite sale deal, but everything is a lot cheaper. Ah, it’s a real drag. It’s a war I wish not to participate,” he mumbled with a pout. Indeed, he was very reluctant about Black Friday, a hellish event that most Americans were horrendously attracted to. “Those poor stores become victims every single time.”

He chuckled and pinned one Black Friday poster on the planner board on the wall in line with the bed. He still had to save his energy for tomorrow’s deal at Orange Mall, so he decided to rest earlier. Taecyeon showered, brushed teeth, and changed into his sleeping attire—tank top and pajama bottoms. He went to sleep in no time—but he was jolted awake by a continuous buzzing sound from the intercom. He groaned and checked on the alarm clock at his bedside. It was two a.m. He grudgingly left his bed and, with half-lidded eyes, he pushed the button.

“Who’s it?” he slurred with a yawn.

“I got your freaking tumbler, freak; let me get my ID back!”

A familiar voice answered from the other side. Taecyeon took a few seconds until he fully registered what the voice told him. He immediately was alert. The door was quickly opened and there Taecyeon found the handsome man stand before him with the exact copy of his smithereens of a tumbler. Mr. Horvejkul slapped the tumbler to Taecyeon’s chest and glared at him with red, tired eyes completing his battered, disheveled look that must be a rare presentation of himself.

“I can’t believe you come all the way here at this hour just for your ID. How did you find my address?” sputtered Taecyeon, genuinely shocked by the outcome.

“Asked your ing company, of course! My ID, don’t make me repeat myself again, you bastard!” the man replied, even angrier than before, but Taecyeon easily assumed that it was mainly because of the fatigue. He could not afford to be offended since he knew his pain.

“The card is inside,” said Taecyeon. “If you want you can stand there while I am fetching it, but you also are welcomed to sit and have a cup of tea first.”

“After what you made me go through? I’m sorry, I’m going to exploit all hospitality you have to offer!” the handsome man said. His voice was noticeably hoarser than during their first meeting, and it sparked pity in Taecyeon.

“Come in, I’m sorry if it’s narrow and unfitting your standards, Your Highness,” said Taecyeon sardonically with a big grin as he made way for the tired and irritated handsome man. Honestly, Taecyeon was amused and saddened by the sight.

Horvejkul dropped his body on the couch and let out a huge sigh. Taecyeon closed the door and took the tumbler to the kitchenette where it belonged with all his collections. He boiled a small kettle of water and put into a teapot two tablespoons of English Breakfast. He poured the boiling water into the teapot and then brought on a tray the complete silver tea set accompanied by a platter of leftover scones.

“Hey, I hope you won’t mind if it’s just Twinning—”

Taecyeon stopped as he found the man was asleep on the couch, curled into it with his designer’s jacket tossed carelessly on the floor. Well, so much for being a wealthy young man, he could fall asleep on a relatively cheap, four-year-old couch. Taecyeon put the tray very carefully atop the table, but Horvejkul jerked awake.

“Oh, sorry to wake you up,” Taecyeon said, his pose frozen midair. The other man glared at him drowsily.

“I didn’t sleep,” he insisted—whined cutely, if we were going to be honest.

“Then, here your tea. One lump or two?” Taecyeon played by Horvejkul’s rules and just believed what the man said. He poured the tea for the guest first.

“Two, I like it sweet.”

The curt and whiny answer sounded rather unlike the man, but Taecyeon thought it suited him. The man now looked like a spoiled son of a business king, used to people serving him and all his whimsical requests. Taecyeon did as he asked since Ok Taecyeon was raised as a proper gentleman by his parents. He slid the cup toward the man gently. The man sipped the tea quietly.

“I’ll take your ID now. Please wait a moment,” said Taecyeon. He did not wait for the man’s approval and took his leave anyway. Taecyeon quickly took the ID he confiscated this afternoon from his wallet. He held it out to Mr. Horvejkul as soon as he was in front of the couch.

“Good. I’ll take my leave now,” said the man coldly, snatching the card with a grim face. He stomped to his feet and made his way to the door swiftly.

Taecyeon held back the need to laugh and waited until he was out of his door. He would not mind seeing the man again in a more favorable situation. Taecyeon went back to sleep only for about an hour before startled awake once again by incessant buzzing on the intercom. He dragged himself toward the door, again, and pushed the button, repeating the question, again, only to hear the very same voice answering him, again.

“Its-a-me, idiota!” an obviously drunken version of the voice, it was, followed closely with an amount of adorable giggles. Taecyeon cringed and exclaimed, quizzically: “Huh?”

This time, though, Taecyeon was genuinely wondering why the man would come back to his apartment. He looked back to his living room and noticed that nothing was left behind when the man stormed out, so the probability of the man coming back to fetch back something his was completely scratched out. Taecyeon opened the door only to receive a lifeless bundle that resembled the handsome man in his arms.

“They kicked me outta da hotel! Can ya believe-it? Me!” the man mumbled like a baby, obviously was half conscious now, thanks to whatever liquor he drank before going back to Taecyeon’s flat. “Me dad froze me card! Stupid bozos after me! No more money for da prince—no one’s gonna take me seriously!”—he sobbed grotesquely, then returned to his drunken demanding and spoiled whiny self—“Dun’ wanna go home! Dun’ wanna dun’ wanna dun’ wanna—gotta find the er first. Lemme stay with ya, handsome bastard! I’ll give ya sumthin’ if ya take me in!”

Taecyeon was flabbergasted and he absolutely had no idea what to do. The man was unable to even stand on his own! He clung to Taecyeon and started to cry and laugh at the same time. Taecyeon had no choice but to take him inside. It would be awkward if any of his neighbors saw them like this. Taecyeon kicked the luggage that came with the man inside and left it at the entrance as he lifted the man—he was so much lighter than expected—and placed him on the couch. The rich boy did not let him go, though. He hugged Taec like a koala would. It was irritating.

“Let me go!” Taecyeon groaned.

“Y’re me slave! Provide me warmth! In bed!” the drunken rich boy bellowed, towing Taecyeon unto him shamelessly. Taecyeon grunted frustratingly. He needed sleep, pronto! So, he decided to take the koala-wannabe to his bed. Whatever, if he must have a creature glued to him, he would prefer to have it in bed. At least he would not be suffering, well, not as much as he would if he stayed on a couch.

*****

Taecyeon woke up with a start. The alarm clock he was supposed to hit just a second ago had now crashed onto the floor. Someone did the favor for him already, someone who hogged eighty percent of the bed space just to press their whole body to Taecyeon’s. The host groaned at the memory. The obviously runaway prince (with no money whatsoever) refused to wake up and snuggled even closer to him.

“I really have no time for this,” he muttered, forcing his way out of the other’s grasp. The man was awake because of his forceful movements.

“Where are you going?” Mr. Horvejkul asked sultrily. He must be unaware of the real situation right now and mistook the host for someone else, Taecyeon concluded thoughtfully. He did not bother answering and moved on to wash up and prepare for work (also, for today’s bargain sale—he could not pass that up).

“Work, of course,” curtly Taecyeon replied. He casually made his way to the bathroom, ignoring the obvious wail that came after his reply. Something that might have sounded like this, “Why are you going to work? Stay with me, I need you! You can’t abandon me in your own house!” but really, Taecyeon could not say he was really listening to the rants of drunken Richie Rich that was, clearly, punished by King Dad for running away from his princely duties and responsibilities.

Taecyeon kept his pace, acting normally as if he had no uninvited guest tailing him as would a duckling seconds away after hatching—and was continuously bombarded with absurd questions concerning his frugal way of living that spanned ubiquitously and he firmly ignored. Taecyeon dressed up—effectively ignoring his new shadow figure’s wolf-whistle—and started breakfast with mashed potatoes, bacons, sausages, and eggs as usual, café latte on the side. Of course, his irritating gatecrasher received a portion of breakfast. The man actually cleaned up when Taecyeon barked at him, commanding him to properly present himself as an adult, but he daringly put on Taecyeon’s shirt and boxers instead of his own even though he had commented how they were “shabby” and “cheap”.

“Your luggage is at the entrance,” Taecyeon said as he chugged the remaining drop

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter