we'll look back on today.

when we turn forty five

It's Yoojung's 25th birthday, and as she did in the previous years, Doyeon stays around when the party reaches the end. Their circle of friends - sisters in all but blood, they have vowed - also stay to clean up the house. Yoojung has tried to tell them to leave it, but they refused, and Yoojung surrendered, instead helping them to the best of her efforts, making them agreed to let her even if it was her birthday party if they insisted on cleaning up when they're her guests.

"Doyeon, catch!"

Sejeong throws a rubber ball, and Doyeon's honed out from years of experience reflex leads her to reach out and grasps the ball from the air smoothly. One of Yoojung's pup that hasn't fallen asleep trots towards her, yipping indignantly, demanding for its favorite toy.

"Seriously, unnie?" Doyeon asks Sejeong, crouching down to offer the ball. The pup nudges the ball immediately with its little nose, causing it to roll off to a distance. It chases after it with a happy bark.

"The pup's on the way," Sejeong grins.

"You could just roll the ball away yourself."

"And let you continue your daydream?"

Doyeon frowns. "I'm not daydreaming."

Sejeong pokes her foot with a broom. "Sure you're not. Shoo shoo. You're on the way."

Doyeon rolls her eyes and steps aside, watching as Sejeong sweeps past with her broom that she has named Eru since one hour ago.

"The broom is a boy?" Chungha has asked in an incredulous tone.

"Sshh!" Sejeong has hissed. "Don't say it too loud. Eru still thinks that he's undergoing an identity crisis, so he's not sure yet."

Doyeon lets her focus wander as Sejeong leaves - yelling "Mina, moves aside! Give way for Eru!" - and settles at Yoojung, who's stacking the chairs in the other corner of the room with Nayoung's help.

Yoojung has been avoiding her during the party.

It wasn't obvious, but Doyeon knows Yoojung more than enough to recognize the subtle gestures. Chungha the mother hen also noticed, and took Doyeon to the side in the middle of the party to interrogate her. Doyeon has said that she knows nothing, and Chungha has nodded to her explanation. Doesn't mean that Chungha was happy with it, Doyeon reluctantly decides. If the way Chungha nudged Yoojung to several guys afterwards was any indication, that is.

"Doyeon, catch!"

Doyeon blinks, broken off from her mental musings, but too late to react to a broom being thrown towards her direction. The broom veers off to the side, but not enough for its handle to avoid a collision against Doyeon's stomach.

"Ouch!"

"Whoops!" Sejeong exclaims, jogging towards her. "Sorry, Eru thought that he's actually a bird, so -"

"Sejeong!" Chungha's exasperated voice booms from across the room.

"Uh oh," Sejeong winces. She turns to Doyeon and grins wearily, "Well, I might have to run for my life, but just wanna ask - you okay now?"

Doyeon rubs her stomach, eyes narrowing at the older woman. "You can always distract me from my nerves with non-dangerous tricks, you know."

"Why settle for normal if you can go extravagant?"

"I hope it's worth having Chungha unnie hunting down your arse," Doyeon deadpans.

Sejeong winks at her in return, turning around and starting to run. Doyeon blinks, trying to understand the wink - and realizes, finally, that Sejeong probably enjoys having Chungha running after her, ready to scold an earful.

Masochist.

Doyeon looks down at Eru - the broom - and perks up when footsteps come to her direction. She turns, seeing Nayoung running towards her, Yoojung in tow.

Doyeon swallows.

Nayoung is the first one to ask. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," Doyeon answers. "Eru suffers most of the injury, I think."

Yoojung snorts, not amused by her humor, while Nayoung picks up the broom, sighing.

"I will return this to the storage."

"You might want to ask if it prefers flying," Doyeon offers. "Sejeong unnie said that he thought -"

"I will leave you under Yoojung's supervision," Nayoung cuts in, giving her a mock-glare. "I will pick up the yellow book on my way, to find the phone number of a mental health institution."

"For Eru, I believe," Doyeon innocently beams.

Nayoung shakes her head, flicks Doyeon's forehead, and leaves, muttering about dry sense of humor under her breath.

For the first time that night, Doyeon finds herself alone with Yoojung. She turns to face the latter, who has grown quiet, again.

"Hi, Yoojung," Doyeon says.

Yoojung looks up at her and flashes a smile.  It doesn't reach her eyes.

"Hi, Doyeon."

No Dodo, or Dodojjyu. Just a plain, simple Doyeon.

It sounds distant.

Doyeon smiles. "Want to take a walk?"

It catches Yoojung off guard. "A walk?" she asks, "But it's -"

Almost midnight.

Cold outside.

Eerily quiet.

Just the two of them.

And Yoojung is supposed to avoid Doyeon.

"Come on," Doyeon interrupts, reaching for Yoojung's hand, intertwining their fingers together and tugging her to walk. "It's been long since we visit the garden."

Yoojung struggles to formulate a response - to refuse, really - but her brain doesn't want to back her up with a good reason. As Doyeon half-drags her past the back door, Yoojung gives up, and starts to follow Doyeon's steps instead. Doyeon's fingers in hers relax visibly the moment Yoojung stops resisting - but Yoojung doesn't comment on it.

They meander along the path, several lampposts stand proudly to light their way, passing flower bushes and a large tree they used to sit under during their youth. Not that they're old now - Nayoung would be really offended if they said so - but it has been long since they took a time to reminisce their long-lost days of innocence.

"Yoojung."

Yoojung hums. Her gaze doesn't leave the path they're walking, but she tilts her head to indicate that she's listening.

"Were you avoiding me?"

Yoojung nearly pauses. But she quickly masks her surprise with a thoughtful hum, trying to think of an answer. She can answer no, although she knows that Doyeon can always tell when Yoojung's lying. She can skirt around the question, or excuse herself and run back to the house. She can let the question hanging unanswered in the air, even if Doyeon asks again.

Yoojung lets out a heavy sigh.

She's too tired to lie.

"I was," she answers at last.

Doyeon doesn't seem surprised. Of course she doesn't. Yoojung would be surprised if she does.

"Why?" Doyeon asks in a whisper.

"You aren't seriously asking that," Yoojung replies, looking pointedly at the row of roses they pass by.

"True," Doyeon murmurs, and Yoojung feels her stomach drops. She knows why, Yoojung bitterly thinks. Doyeon gives their joined hand a squeeze, unaware of Yoojung's inner turmoil,

"Well... who's the first birthday wisher this year, then?"

It has always been Doyeon.

It must have been Doyeon.

It should have been Doyeon.

But it wasn't.

"It was - Sohye's brother," Yoojung replies curtly, an ugly feeling clawing inside her stomach.

An unspoken 'and it's your fault that it's not you' pours all over her tone, but all Doyeon lets out is a thoughtful noise.

"I see," she shortly replies.

This time, Yoojung really pauses. You 'see'? She stops, and gawks at the nonchalant air Doyeon's reply gives off, as if it was a small matter, as if - as if it's not important. Yoojung tries to break Doyeon's hold, desperately wishing to go back to the house before her stupid tears come rushing in, but Doyeon has always been the stronger of the two.

"Yoojung," Doyeon softly says.

"Why?" Yoojung snaps, her voice hoarse. She glares at her feet, not wanting to look up and meet Doyeon's eyes. "Why - why wasn't it you?"

Yoojung shuts her eyes, trying to calm down. Doyeon would probably laugh - and say, really, Yoojung, you're 25 and you're fussing over me not being your first birthday wisher? - and if that's it, a little voice in the back of Yoojung's mind swears to rip Doyeon apart.

"I overslept," comes Doyeon's reply.

Yoojung looks up sharply. "You -"

"I haven't slept all day yesterday," Doyeon quietly adds.

"Doing what?" Yoojung accusingly asks. "You weren't with unnies decorating - or Sohye, Somi and Mina, buying things. You disappeared yesterday, Doyeon -"

"I have my reasons," Doyeon replies, smiling down tiredly.

Yoojung wants to hate that smile.

"Then why?" she pleads. For an explanation. For a reason to no longer be mad at Doyeon. She watches as Doyeon swallows, her palm against Yoojung's begins to sweat.

"Why what? My reasons?"

"No. Why - why aren't you wishing me happy birthday at all?" Yooung chokes. "Until now, Doyeon. You haven't said - haven't said anything at all."

She feels her guts clenching painfully inside. She blinks a tear, and Doyeon's hand comes up to brush it off before she can react. There're sorry and worry in Doyeon's eyes - and Yoojung wants to stop looking. So she drops her gaze to the ground, but Doyeon's hand in her cheek leaves a trail of tingles she can't ignore.

"Because," Doyeon murmurs, her tone resigned, "I'm stupid." Her hand lingers, trailing down to cup Yoojung's chin, slowly tilting her head up.

Yoojung finds herself staring at Doyeon's eyes, the faint smile Doyeon has, the crease between Doyeon's eyebrows.

And the a sliver of feeling in Doyeon's eyes that she doesn't yet dare to understand.

"I thought - if I couldn't be the first to wish you happy birthday," Doyeon says, "then I can be the last one."

"You're planning to say happy birthday and then kill me off?" Yoojung croaks.

"Don't kill the mood," Doyeon scolds her, an amused smile betraying any stern look she manages to pull off. Then the amused smile turns into something - more gentle, more subtle - a smile Doyeon only lets Yoojung to see.

Yoojung blinks, and Doyeon leans in slowly. It's slow enough to give Yoojung a chance to react - a chance to pull away - but she can't find it in her to move. So instead, Yoojung closes her eyes and feels Doyeon's lips grazing her forehead gently, chastely - calm and swift like the night's breeze, yet leaving Yoojung warm rather than cold.

Yoojung's breath hitches. Doyeon hasn't pulled away. She freezes in her place when Doyeon leans lower, resting their forehead together. A slight chuckle escapes Doyeon's lips, her breath ghostly caressing Yoojung's skin.

"Happy birthday, Yoojungjjyu," Doyeon whispers, pressing a kiss to the tip of Yoojung's nose, and Yoojung can feel - rather than see - Doyeon's smile before she pulls away.

Doyeon straightens up, her hand dropping to the side. Yoojung feels her cheeks warm up considerably, her thoughts scattering all over the place. She gathers a courage to look up - and Doyeon is looking at her, her smile hasn't faltered, and Yoojung almost wants to ask.

Does your heart go wild too?

Is your brain being dumb too?

Am I the only one?

Am I -

"Is that all?" Yoojung finds herself asking. Her shoulders sag at the unspoken questions she can't voice out.

Doyeon tilts her head, her smile fading into a thoughtful frown. Yoojung thinks there's a flicker of nervousness in Doyeon's eyes - but wonders again if she's actually seeing the mirror of her own.

"It depends - do you want your present now?"

"You aren't bringing anything right now," Yoojung states the obvious, eyeing Doyeon's empty hand. "Unless you hide something in your pocket -"

"No I'm not," Doyeon nods. "But do you want your present now?"

Yoojung stares. There's a subtle rush in Doyeon's words. Maybe - maybe she isn't imagining things and Doyeon's actually really nervous.

But why?

"Will I like the present?" Yoojung finds herself wondering out loud.

Doyeon smiles, and, after a second, shrugs her shoulders. Yoojung narrows her eyes. Doyeon has always told her that no, she wouldn't like her present - she would love them. Doyeon has always maintained a great amount of confidence in her ability to pick gifts for Yoojung.

So why the doubt now?

Yoojung her lips.

"I want my present now."

Doyeon nods, smiling - not in relief, Yoojung carefully notes - but it's not a forced smile, either. Doyeon tugs on their joined hands, pulling Yoojung to resume their walk again. Yoojung doesn't object, but her mind is trying its hardest to guess.

The path ends at an empty bench, several steps after it is a water fountain Chaeyeon and Yeonjung have always liked. Yoojung cranes her neck to look at the bench, and frowns when there's no a wrapped box like she has initially expected.

Doyeon gestures for Yoojung to sit, and Yoojung obliges, still puzzled about the present Doyeon mentioned.

"Er - you aren't going to sit?" Yoojung asks quietly, looking up to Doyeon who still stands rooted at her spot.

Instead of answering, Doyeon turns slightly towards the water fountain, then she looks up, smiling wistfully at the night sky.

"It's full moon today."

Yoojung looks up. Indeed, the moon shines a whole, but she notices another thing - how starless the night is.

"The stars are avoiding Mr. Moon today," Doyeon muses, as if able to read Yoojung's mind.

Yoojung smiles. "Yeah." She fleetingly thinks of a memory of the past - a day when Doyeon said the exact same words, to humor Yoojung who was disappointed because there's no stars in their stargazing night.

Inevitably, she thinks of the conversation that had followed that sentence, too.

"Do you remember?" Doyeon asks quietly, "About that day."

That day.

Yoojung shakes her head, but Doyeon doesn't see it. Which is good. Doyeon can always tell if Yoojung's lying.

"You were pitying Mr. Moon for staying single that night," Doyeon recounts. Yoojung squints at the moon. She doesn't have to see Doyeon's face to know that she's smiling at the nostalgic memory. "Then I told you to worry about yourself. We might stay single forever, unlike the mighty moon up there."

"Yeah," Yoojung whispers. Her gaze shifts, to Doyeon, and she belatedly realizes that it's probably a bad decision - for she finds herself unable to look away.

"We made a promise."

Under the moonlight, Doyeon's long, dark hair frames her face softly, a few strands escaping loosely from where her hair is tucked behind her ears, dancing disobediently to the gentle breeze of the night.

Under the moonlight, Yoojung feels her breath leaving her very being, the small part of her brain that still maintains sanity until the very end desperately thinks to keep breathing, lungs, keep the oxygen coming, for the love of God -

Doyeon turns to look at her, one of her hand reaching up to put the wild strands of hair back in place. The moonlight illuminates her every move, as though staged, as though planned, to enchant Yoojung's attention more than Doyeon already has.

"Do you remember?" Doyeon whispers. "The promise."

Yoojung sits very still. A part of her tries to regain back her senses, while another part latches onto Doyeon's words. A promise. The promise.

Yoojung remembers. But she doesn't want to admit that she does.

"If we're not married by the time we turn forty five, we'd marry each other." Doyeon's smile is still there. But something has changed. Subtly, like a gentle wind that pushes an old leaf to finally leave the branch. Yoojung sees the constrict of as Doyeon swallows hard,

"Do you remember?"

Of course Yoojung remembers.

On the days invitation of their high school friends' marriage greets their morning, she thinks of that promise.

On every daring question of their parents that consists marriage or dating, they share a look and sometimes, they say the promise to each other again, out loud.

On the quiet nights they spend together in the midst of tiring routines the life demands of them, Yoojung thinks, quietly repeats, and grasps that promise between her fingers, feeling gradually better - a sliver more hopeful, a little more alright.

Yet every time Yoojung remembers, she dreads the time Doyeon would bring up the promise without preamble.

When there's no marriage invitation, when their parents don't bug them about marriage or dating, when there's no reason for Doyeon to bring up that promise.

Because then, it would mean only one thing...

"I remember," Yoojung replies, when the silence has been stretched too long. She musters up a smile, if only to appease a frown Doyeon has come to have during her mum earlier. So who's the lucky guy? is what Yoojung needs to ask, but she doesn't want to - so instead she mutters,

"What about it?"

Yoojung sees Doyeon's jaw tighten. Sees the brief clench of her fist. Notices the tense joints in her shoulders.

Yoojung wonders if there's a man out there that understands Doyeon more than she does.

"Well, I -" Doyeon tilts her head to the side, and Yoojung feels her stomach churn. "- I'm not good at keeping promises, am I?"

Yoojung wants to - no, she doesn't know what she wants to do. Laugh, probably, because yes, Doyeon isn't good at keeping promises. Oversleeping and thus missing dance practice she has promised for Sohye, forgetting to bring a pair of shoes she has promised Somi to lend, giving in and eating a box of pizza against her promise to Chungha to look after her meal...

But Yoojung also wants to cry. Because no matter what happens, Doyeon never breaks the promises she makes for Yoojung. No matter how small, no matter how silly. When it comes to Yoojung, Doyeon doesn't break her words. It's one of the things their friends envy about Yoojung - to have no worries about Doyeon breaking promises.

This time, however...

Yoojung isn't sure if she's happy.

"Yoojung?" Doyeon softly calls, her tone worried.

"I - I guess," Yoojung chokes out, hating her voice for cracking. There's always a first time to everything, she dejectedly thinks. She drops her gaze to the ground, willing the fog surrounding her eyes to clear up already. "Yeah. I guess - you aren't... good at keeping promises."

"I think..." Doyeon trails off, "...I think, for your present - you should stand."

Yoojung holds off a sob that threatens to escape her lips. Of course Doyeon would think that this is a present for Yoojung. She has every reason to think that it is. Best friends will be overjoyed when their best friends find the love of their life.

But inside, Yoojung feels her heart breaking, and she isn't sure her knees are strong enough to hold her up for long.

"I don't know, Doyeon, I don't think -"

Then Doyeon softly whispers,

"Please?"

Yoojung exhales harshly. She can't say no - not when Doyeon said it in a plea, as if it mattered the world to her - of course it matters the world to her. If Doyeon was going to announce to Yoojung that she's going to get married - if Doyeon -

She slams down every thought as she struggles to stand, trying her hardest not to alarm Doyeon. So she tries to divert Doyeon's attention, and asks,

"Why do you need me to stand?"

She manages to say her question without cracking, or sobbing, or outright crying. Good, Yoojung hastily thinks, just a little bit longer and - I can pretend to - she will think it's from happiness -

Yoojung hasn't lifted her gaze from the ground, and thus notices Doyeon stepping closer, stopping an arm away from her.

"Because," Doyeon softly says, "I need to do this."

The next thing Yoojung knows, Doyeon is down on one knee. She hears her heart gradually drumming up against her ears as she lifts her head - she sees Doyeon's smile first, one that offers warmth, understanding, but also holds a flicker of fear - then her gaze falls to the black velvet box Doyeon holds out to her, opened.

Two silver rings. Each bears a beautiful piece of diamond, and smaller pieces of stone that glow warmly under the moonlight.

"Choi Yoojung," Doyeon whispers, "would you be mine?"

Yoojung stands still, her jaw slightly hanging. Her brain is still trying to digest Doyeon's words, but her heart is faster - her hands are trembling, she realizes, and her cheeks are warm - with tears.

"I know we promised to wait until we're forty five," Doyeon nervously continues, "and I know never break any promises I make to you... but making you smile is what I do best -"

"Yes, I would."

"- and I want to give you the world - wait, what?" Doyeon's voice cracks, relief and disbelief pouring together into one.

And Yoojung chokes a laugh. She takes the black velvet box from Doyeon's hands, putting it gingerly on the bench, before sauntering to catch Doyeon in a bone-crushing hug. She sniffs to Doyeon's shoulder, a teary smile plastered on her face as she feels Doyeon hugging her back, less crushing, but Yoojung is always the more violent one anyway.

"You," Doyeon swallows, "would?"

Yoojung nods to her shoulder. She tilts her head, enough to whisper to Doyeon's ear,

"I would."

Doyeon's hands around Yoojung tremble. And Yoojung wonders if the worry and nervousness she witnessed earlier... Yoojung blinks, suddenly understands. She buries her face on the crook of Doyeon's neck to hide her smile, not caring that in doing so she's getting Doyeon's shirt wet.

"You're smiling," Doyeon whispers in mock hurt.

"Would you rather see me frowning?" Yoojung asks, pulling away slightly to face Doyeon. Doyeon frowns at her,

"No, but - I was nervous, okay? I had the entire speech planned -" Doyeon exasperatedly sighs when Yoojung giggles, "- and then you suddenly said that you would. Which is good. I think my brain was going to blank out anyway."

Yoojung smiles brightly at her... friend? Best friend? Lover?

That'd need some time to get used to.

"You were at 'and I want to give you the world'. What's after that?" Yoojung asks, half teasing, half genuinely curious. Doyeon scowls childishly at her for a few seconds, before letting out a deep breath.

"I want to give you the world, but I can't," Doyeon says slowly, staring into Yoojung's eyes. She smiles, tucking a wisp of hair behind Yoojung's ear, gaining a blush from the latter. "So I want to give you the second best thing I can ever afford..."

And then Yoojung is aware - of how close Doyeon is, how she can see the reflection of herself in Doyeon's eyes, feel the warm air Doyeon breathes sweeping lightly across her face. Yoojung's gaze flickers down, catching sight of Doyeon's lips.

There has been moments - a countless amount of 'almost' moments - where their gaze met, emotions drawing them in, but one of them, if not both, pulling away in the last seconds. Excuses, nothings, and careful avoidance of topic following each accidents.

Not tonight.

Yoojung leans in, and Doyeon dips her head low, brushing her lips against Yoojung's lightly at first. Then she presses another, longer, deeper - Yoojung's hands finding their way around Doyeon's neck, her heart thumping irregularly inside. This kiss - it doesn't set off fireworks, or suddenly brings out sunset, but it warms every inch of Yoojung, excites the butterflies in her stomach, and ignites happiness - an enormous amount of it - within her, until she feels like she's about to explode rainbows.

They part, Doyeon pulling away slightly, eyes shining in contentment. Yoojung feels slightly lightheaded, and having Doyeon still so close doesn't help.

Then Doyeon speaks, very close to her that Yoojung can feel the words against her lips,

"The most precious thing I have, Yoojung," Doyeon breathes, "is my world - I want to give you my world."

It's a big promise. Yoojung leans back, so she can hold Doyeon's gaze. Reading the emotions Doyeon lets her to see. There's determination. Sincerity. Honesty.

Love, Yoojung finally names the sliver of feeling she has been hesitant to label.

"You aren't going to give me your world," Yoojung tells her softly, kissing the tip of Doyeon's nose. "But you're going to share yours with me, as I share mine with you."

Doyeon smiles, nuzzling their nose together, leaving a peck upon Yoojung's lips.

"You're always the lyricist between the two of us," Doyeon murmurs fondly.

"Can't let you have it all. You're already tall."

Doyeon chuckles, and weakly pats her arm. "Can we move to the bench? It's kinda - tiring, my knee is hurting."

Yoojung stands up, offering a hand and making a show of struggling to pull Doyeon up to her feet. Doyeon lets her be silly like that, smiling in amusement at her antics - and Yoojung likes that they don't need to change themselves - except maybe the kisses.

It's a change Yoojung wholeheartedly welcomes.

"I have always wanted to be a prince, you know," Yoojung comments as they settles next to each other, closer than they would have been moment ago.

"I know." Doyeon shifts in her seat, the black velvet box already back in her hands. Yoojung looks up, amused to see the tip of Doyeon's ears turning pink. "That's why I - erm - placed two rings inside. I thought... you'd want to, you know, put on my ring."

"I do." Yoojung smiles, refraining herself from teasing Doyeon. She can do it later, in front of their friends. She grins at the thought. "So... are we going to wait until my next birthday, or are we going to do it now?"

"Let's not talk about birthdays for a while," Doyeon mumbles as she opens the box, "it reminds me of those times I failed to propose to you."

Yoojung blinks.

"Those times...?"

Doyeon stares at her, and then sheepishly nods. "I've been trying to do this since your 20th birthday."

"My 20th birthday!" Yoojung gasps. "That's when you tripped over nothing and dropped the cake on my face."

Doyeon flinches. "That's what you remembered?" she asks miserably, the edge of her eyes twitching. "Well you were acting mushy mushy with that big-headed sunbae, it was very distracting -"

"And on my 21th birthday, you -"

"Hand, please," Doyeon asks, opening her palm, face flushed. Yoojung snorts, and paws Doyeon's palm with a straight face.

"Woof."

"This is becoming less and less romantic," Doyeon mumbles, "but at least, I managed to forbid unnies from helping me to propose -"

As if on cue, some explosions are heard. The night sky that has been formerly calm in its darkness is soon lighted up by a number of fireworks, accompanying the lonely moon with the sparks of temporary stars.

"Chaeyeon unnie," Doyeon groans.

Yoojung laughs, happiness inside her bubbling too much for her to contain with a mere smile or slight chuckle. "Give it up, Doyeon, we suit comedy more than romance anyway."

"At least we avoided the mistletoe plan," Doyeon moans. "Jieqiong unnie suggested to sneak up on us and hang a mistletoe with a fish rod to force, quote, my dongsaengs' first kiss that should've happened years early if they weren't so stubborn to their own feelings, unquote."

Yoojung howls harder, holding onto Doyeon's shoulder for support. The latter sighs, but a smile soon touches upon her feature at the sound of Yoojung's laughter. She looks up to stare at the night sky and maybe appreciate Chaeyeon's work a little bit, until her gaze settles on a weird crown of leaves hanging centimeters above them.

Doyeon facepalms. "OH COME ON, YOU GUYS!"

Then the bush nearest to the bench rustles noisily, nine people falling forward in shock over Doyeon's yell. Yoojung stares at their friends, who immediately scramble over in embarrassment. Doyeon mutters in annoyance under her breath, and Yoojung laughs again, seeing their friends doing a quick urgent meeting - probably to discuss how to face an annoyed Doyeon.

The merry night gets merrier as the nine girls attempt to nonchalantly walk towards them and feign innocence.

"Guilty, all of you," Doyeon scowls while Yoojung tries to regain her breath again.

"Look at the bright side," Yeonjung happily says. "You now have witnesses for when you exchange your rings."

"Yeonjung, Sejeong, and I - we can sing a backsound for you," Chungha offers.

"But I don't remember agreeing to -" Sejeong yelps as Chungha steps on her foot, "- yep, eh heh, singing you say? Of course we can!"

"I can beatbox," Sohye says.

"Somi and I have agreed to be the audience," Chaeyeon adds.

"And I can be the pretty tree while Nayoung unnie can be a stone with Jieqiong unnie as an ostrich, for enviromental purposes," Mina finishes.

"Now see here you guys," Doyeon starts, but her next words are cut off as Chungha, Yeonjung, and Sejeong begin to hum melodies one usually hears for the wedding bride's entrance. Sohye begins the dum and the tss of her beatbox, gradually slowed to fit the melody. And then much slower, that she almost doesn't have to beatbox at all and she gives up ten seconds later. The audiences - plus Sohye who retires from her beatboxing career - adapt a look of seriousness and contentment, though, Yoojung thinks, they don't need to fake the happiness in their eyes.

Doyeon stands up, and picks up a ring from the box, sighing as though she has a headache from the messes their friends has caused, but mustering up the most genuine smile for Yoojung a beat later. Yoojung offers her hand, letting Doyeon to take it gently, eyes never leaving each other.

"This is the last chance to reject me, Yoojungjjyu," Doyeon says, as Mina raises both hands up and slowly sways along the breeze like tree's branches full of leaves would.

"Too bad," Yoojung replies, eyes twinkling. "You're already stuck with me forever, Dodojjyu."

The harmonized hum experiences a slight disturbance as Sejeong pretends to gag. Nayoung who stands next to Jieqiong the ostrich looks as pained, if not more. A stone can only handle so much cheese in a night.

Doyeon slips the ring to Yoojung's finger slowly, her smile growing into a grin when it fits perfectly. Yoojung, for her part, maintains her smile as she picks up Doyeon's ring, her eyes staring back at Doyeon, seeking for a reassurance that it's not a dream.

Doyeon seems to know. She always has a way to know.

"You will be next to me when I fall asleep?" Yoojung whispers.

Doyeon nods. "And I will be next to you when you wake up."

Have they spared their friends a glance, they would question why they seemed to be blushing - maybe even more than Yoojung and Doyeon. But their attention is to each other, the world forgotten - although, the humming trio's voices carry out nicely through the rather silent night. Yoojung puts the ring on Doyeon's finger, looking up once it snugly rested, fitting more than ever, and they smile at each other.

Doyeon feels a nagging voice inside her mind urge her to look up.

She does, and she finally lets out a chuckle, her shoulders droop in surrender when a mistletoe has been hovering above their heads once again - courtesy of Jieqiong and her fishing rod. Doyeon looks back at Yoojung, who smiles in amusement at the display, and Doyeon waits until Yoojung's eyes meet hers again. It doesn't take long - and Yoojung arches an eyebrow.

As if to say, what are you waiting for?

Doyeon smiles.

"May I?" she asks, leaning down.

"Always," Yoojung replies, tiptoeing and giving Doyeon's lips a fleeting kiss.

The crowd cheers, finally rushing towards them to congratulate - and tease them both to death, Yoojung later reflects. Doyeon lets go of Yoojung's hand as Jieqiong and Chaeyeon squish her in a bone-crushing hug - "CAN'T BREATH, NO UNNIES I'M SERIOUS" - while Yoojung is quickly hugged by Chungha the mother hen, with Sejeong grinning at her like a proud father. Mina suggests for another party, Sohye asking for the dress-code to be penguin onesies, while Somi and Yeonjung practically bounce while exclaiming "after five years of cliff-hanger and torture!", giddy and happy.

Nayoung wisely stays on the sidelines, snapping photos, not minding that the results would probably be darkness and even more darkness at such hour.

Doyeon catches Yoojung's gaze in the middle of the welcomed chaos, and Yoojung smiles brightly at her - one Doyeon readily returns.

A promise is broken, but for the better.

For when they turn forty five,

they'll look back on today, together.

And it's all that matters.

 

 

FIN