-- ONE --

Numb Numb

“Good work, everyone. Let’s have a short break.”

Everyone cheered and sighed in relief as the PD announced for a short break. They are just rookies, but they are working hard like their sunbaes. The boys of NCT have just finished playing the games prepared for the episode to be aired weeks from now, and even though it is tiring and stressful, the boys are enjoying it, because it means they are an inch closer to their dreams – to be popular like their seniors in the company. They know it’s not an easy one, and all the pressure just because they are from SM, they are from the biggest company among the Big 3, and just because they have a lot to prove and to surpass are adding up every single day.

But for Lee Taeyong, he feels that he has to work harder than the others. All because he has done a series of foolishness when he was still a normal person, a normal high school student. It’s all in the past now, but the Korean netizens know no forgiveness nor forgetting, and every time NCT launches an activity, like a variety show or a comeback, or a unit debut, the forums will be peppered with negative comments and downvotes. He feels really burdened now, because the pressure is building up day by day. He feels bad because he and his team members are working hard every day, but all of the efforts seem to come into nothingness all because “Scamyong” is in the group with them. He feels that Yuta, the Japanese member, feels aloof at him sometimes because of his comments to a Japanese netizen in the past. He feels that the Chinese members don’t like to be around him, because his presence is too strong and intimidating for them. He even feels worse for his Korean members because their group always gets into the spotlight in a bad light. They didn’t spend years training just to be teamed up with a delinquent, a scammer, and a hopeless case. Sometimes, when he goes to bed after a long day, he thinks of quitting. He thinks that NCT will be better off without him. He feels that the Korean netizens will be very much pleased if he leaves the group. He doesn’t want to be the team’s disgrace.

“Whatever you’re thinking, just don’t do it.”

His train of thought was snapped when he felt a cold and wet sensation on his cheek.

He turns to face a tall cup of iced Americano, his favorite, and a smiling Jaehyun with it. He took the proffered cup and asked Jaehyun to sit beside him. The latter sat, still studying the former’s face. “Hyung, are you still thinking over the downvotes at Pann and Naver?” he asked Taeyong.

“Yes.”

“Just ignore those. Don’t let them ruin your dreams. Don’t let them know they’re winning.

Please, just don’t.” Jaehyun sounded concerned a little bit hurt, or so he thought.

He faced the younger.

“Jaehyun-ah, NCT will be better without me. Your efforts will be wasted because you still have the scammer in the group. You know them Korean netizens, they won’t forgive and forget. I just don’t want this group to be like T-ara sunbaes. I don’t want your efforts to go to waste,” he reasoned.

“Hyung, we are a team,” Jaehyun responded.

“Together we stand, fall and slip, because we are a team. Just show them that you’re working hard, and eventually they will accept you.”

A short silence followed.

And--- “I can’t imagine performing without you, hyung.”

Taeyong looked at Jaehyun, confused. “What do you mean?” Jaehyun flushed, covering his mouth with his hand.

“No, hyung, it was nothing, er nothing. I mean…” he stumbled. Taeyong raised his eyebrows, signaling him to continue.

“I mean, we spent years training, sharing joys and sorrows. Now that we’re here, the chance is already here. Both of us dreamed to be in a stage together, performing because it’s our passion.” His voice became smaller, quieter. “I just can’t continue with this idol life without you, hyung.”

Awkward silence followed.

Jaehyun’s now growing red, and Taeyong found it cute. “Jaehyun-ah,” he started. “By any chance, is it safe to assume that, you, umm, you like me?” The younger turned to face him, and he nodded.

“You’re just naïve, hyung. I hate you,” he replied in a small voice. Taeyong chuckled. “I just don’t want to assume, but I can feel it sometimes,” he deadpanned.

“Sometimes I’m thinking about that. But I just don’t want to put you in a risk. I am a guy with a bad reputation, a scammer, a racist freak, and you being with me, it’s just like adding more fuel to the fire. I still care about you, this is your dream. I don’t want to ruin this for you.”

He took Jaehyun’s hands resting on his lap, squeezing them lightly. “I like you, too. I just care for you,” he finished.

Then, Jaehyun’s face brightened up. “Let’s keep this between you and me,” he said with firmness.

“What?”

“This, stupid. We’re now going out, right? Let’s just be discreet about it.”

“But what about the others?” Taeyong asked, worried. “They don’t have to know now, but we’ll let them know soon.” He shushed Taeyong’s questions.

“Sungjong sunbaenim and L sunbaenim did that, and their team just accepted that. Same with Key sunbaenim and Jonghyun sunbaenim. I don’t know with Baekhyun hyung, but I think the whole team knows about him and Chanyeol hyung dating,” he explained.

“Wait, how did you know that?” the older asked. “Duh, we are all revolving around SMTOWN, it’s not that hard of a concept to grasp.” He tapped Taeyong’s nose with his finger, and said, “You are just plain naïve, hyung.”

He’s about to answer when Yuta approached the two of them. “We’re now shooting again, let’s go. And what’s with the holding hands, Taeyong?” he asked, gesturing towards the hands still pressed together. He quickly withdrew his hands, and said, “Yes, okay. Here we go.”

He stood up, leaving the younger with the Japanese boy. Jaehyun said, “Yes, we are now dating. You okay with that?” Yuta just nodded and said, “I can feel it. He’s just the naïve one here.” They both chuckled, going towards Taeyong and the others.