Band-aids

Training Wheels

I.

 

"Yoongi-hyung! Teach me how to ride the bike!" Jimin called out to his childhood friend and neighbor, Min Yoongi.

"You're so silly. You bought a bike but you don't even know how to ride one," Yoongi drawled out, "you gotta pay me every hour."

"But hyung we're friends!" Jimin exclaimed. He can't believe his hyung would ask him to pay for teaching him how to ride a bike.

"I was just kidding kid," Yoongi said and he smiled that gummy smile that he only showed Jimin, "it's good that your bike has training wheels. Later on when you already know how to balance I'm gonna pull those training wheels off got it?"

Jimin just nodded with a smile and thought that Yoongi-hyung was the best hyung with the best gummy smile in the world.

 

II.

 

"Jiminie I", Yoongi hesitates as he holds his mug of espresso tightly, "I really like you."

Jimin just watches in shock at his hyung. His favorite hyung... likes him? Park Jimin? He must have eaten something weird for breakfast. "Hyung you gotta be kidding me," Jimin stares at Yoongi and snickers a bit. But Jimin stops as he sees the look of hurt and embarassment in his hyung's eyes. He's flattered that Yoongi-hyung likes him but he's too overwhelmed to even take it seriously.

"I'm serious," Yoongi says and he stares at Jimin's eyes like he hasn't seen them in eternity.

"But hyung. We're men," Jimin whispers because he thinks the cafe is full of students studying for their exams. Not because he's ashamed. No.

"I don't expect you to like me back Jimin. Just take your time. I won't force you if you don't want to," Yoongi whispers as well and he thinks that's the longest thing he's ever said to Jimin.

Jimin was too shocked. Surprised even. And it feels like the walls of the cafe are pressing in on him. His latte smells too sweet. His lips are dry. And he feels too numb.

"I gotta go," Jimin says and hurriedly walks out of the cafe. Away from his stupid hyung. Away from his favorite hyung. Away from his gay hyung. Away from Yoongi.

Yoongi just watches at Jimin's retreating form and wonders if he'll ever see that smile that screams of sunshine again. He wonders if he'll ever smell that cinnamon-scented cologne. He wonders if he'll ever hear that laugh that sounded of a thousand chimes again. He wonders if he'll see Jimin the same way he always did. He wonders if, perhaps, everything has changed.

 

III.

 

It's been 5 years.

Park Jimin did not know he needed 5 years to realize how much he loved being the reason why Min Yoongi laughed and smiled. He did not know he loved hearing Yoongi's raspy voice. He did not know how much he loved Yoongi's scent of freshly-mown grass. He did not know how important Yoongi is for him. He did not know how much he missed Yoongi. He did not know how much he loved his favorite hyung.

Sometimes, 5 years is too long to realize that it's too late.

"And I wish that this couple would be forever happy. I hope your days will be filled with pure. bliss. I'm happy for you Heejin, Yoongi-hyung. To the bride and groom".

"To the bride and groom," everyone in the reception hall echoed and the place was full of appluses and cheers. Jimin watched as the couple intertwined their arms and drank champagne. He watched as his heart was torn into a million fragments. He cheered and applauded along with everyone.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Jimin watched as the stars blinked. He was on the balcony of the reception hall. The wind blew gently as if to caress Jimin's dying heart. The cheers and applaudes in the hall was a bit muffled and he leaned on the balcony's cold metal.

"Jimin," an all too familiar voice called from behind. It felt like all the air has been out of his lungs and his heart beated erratically.

He turned around and saw the calm expression of none other than Min Yoongi. His favorite hyung. He stared and etched that very face in the deepest parts of his brain. Something about the peace made Jimin hope this moment would last for an eternity.

"Thank you for coming to the wedding Jimin. Thank you for everything." and Yoongi held Jimin in for a tight hug.

Jimin wanted to say a lot of things. But he knew it was best for some things to not be said.

"I'm happy for you hyung," Jimin whispered and it felt like being in that dreaded coffee shop all over again. "I got something for you hyung," Jimin said as he broke away from the bone-crushing hug. He handed yoongi a medium-sized box that was wrapped in vibrant green wrapper.

"What's in it?" Yoongi asked curiously as he shaked the box. It was a bit heavy and Yoongi smiled that gummy smile as he looked at Jimin.

What Jimin would do to see that favorite smile of his again and again.

"Just open it when you get home later hyung," Jimin smiled and turned to walk away. "The food was delicious hyung," he said.

"Jimin," Yoongi called.

"Yes?" Jimin watched at his hyung. The same expression he wore at the coffee shop.

"I missed you," he whispered.

"Me too," Jimin said and with that he turned to walk away. Away from the balcony. Away from the reception hall. Away from the noise. Away from the beautiful bride. Away from his favorite hyung, now married.

As he drove his way home, he let a lone tear trail his cheek.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Yoongi stood at the balcony and watched at Jimin's retreating form. He wondered if perhaps, everything has changed.

He tore through the green wrappers and opened the box. There laid two small wheels that made him remember his colorful childhood. He remembered a certain chubby boy who would always smell of cinnamon.

"These wheels sure worned out a lot, huh?"