1/1

To the ends of the earth (if we have to)

Being with Amber makes the world seem like a better place, Henry figures. When she kisses him, there’s a certain gravitational pull, like they’re on the edge of the universe, where they can run away and leave reality behind.

And run away they did.

“Let’s go on a road trip.” He whispers into her ear in between stolen kisses in one of the dressing rooms, his hand gripping her waist. Her face was full of sweat and her eyeliner was smudged, but to him, she has never looked more beautiful.

“You and me, no one else. An old pick-up truck, washed-up diners, cheap motels. No cell phones, no schedules, no responsibilities, no nothing. What do you say?”

She smiles that lopsided smile of hers, hands travelling up under his shirt. “Cheap motels?”

That was Amber’s way of saying yes.

They drove up north, armed with nothing but a crumpled map that they bought from a convenience store, together with snacks and candies that are surely not included in their idol-diet. Henry pulls Amber by the waist at the chip aisle, and when she squeals at the sudden nip that he gives her, the snarky teenager at the counter gives them a reprimanding look. Laughing their asses off, they paid for everything and trudged out of the store with her arms on his shoulders and his heart on his sleeve.

They hopped on his pick-up truck, Henry in the driver seat and Amber on the passenger’s. They let the windows open with the breeze coming in, not even minding that it was messing up their usually styled hair. Amber props her feet on his dashboard and turns the radio on full blast, and when Henry views her from his peripheral vision with a grin on her face and singing at the top of her lungs, he couldn’t help but sing along with her,

They stop through various joints, eating greasy burgers and cold french fries when the junk food ran out. A ketchup smear on the corner of his lips prompts her to lean across the table and kiss him senseless, and soon enough the air was too hot and the diner too crowded. They quickly slipped out of the booth and onto his car, consuming notions of needs and wants and pleasures. Amber buries her face at the crook of his neck and holds him close, and Henry whispers in her ear while at it, on the edge and so, so close and-

“I love-“

Amber smothers the rest of his words with a searing kiss.

On some nights when the weather is worse and the people are sparse, they stay in cheap motels on unknown places where no one can recognize them. Henry runs through the perimeter with Amber in a piggy-back, her laughter ringing through the thin, concrete walls. They only stop making out and eating sour candies when the grumpy old man staying next door shouts at them to “Stop being disgusting and let us sleep!”, mumbling something about those damn kids and their damn hormones, and they step into their room with the disposition of being drunk on each other’s poison.

They spend most nights not sleeping, just staring at each other wordlessly from across the small table while Henry traces all her tattoos and Amber memorizes the contours of his face; or playing stupid card games that end up with them cuddled on the carpet and whispering on each other’s ears. The morning after is hell, of course, the lack of rest catching up to both of them as Henry drives them further and further away. But everything becomes so much better with a little bit of coffee and a little bit of Amber, and when he looks at her beside him among coffee mists and filtered sun rays, he figures he has never been more in love.

The days and nights go on, and soon enough they were lost about how long they’ve been away. Mondays, Tuesdays, weekdays and weekends melding together into one blissful memory of him and her and them, and feeling like the rest of the world don’t exist.

But the rest of the world do exist, and all good things must come to an end, don’t they?

Soon enough, the no phones, no schedules, no responsibilities, no nothing rule is shattered, and they opened their cells to find numerous missed calls and messages. Henry calls his manager and receives an earful of scolding, while Amber tends to a sobbing Victoria on the line.

“You are not kids anymore, Amber. It’s time to grow up.” Victoria said when she was calm enough to talk. They look at each other through worried eyes and lips bitten, and they both knew Victoria was right.

This dream; it’s about to end.

After promising one last night on the road, Henry turns back the truck and retraces their way. They sit in silence inside the car, the idea of the reality that they have to face present and ominous.

Being with Amber makes the world a better place. When she kisses him, there’s this certain gravitational pull, like they’re on the edge of the universe where they can run away and leave reality behind.

But the reality is this: There is only so much time in 24 hours for being a celebrity and having a girlfriend.

“Let’s not check in today.” Henry mutters, a soft smile directed towards her. “Let’s just find a hill and sleep on the open cargo like normal people.”

She returns his smile through the threatening tears.

They do find a hill and they do sleep on the cargo like normal people. They place a makeshift bed from the heaps of clothing and spare blankets, and he pulls her to his chest while she counts his heartbeats.

“When all is said and done,” She mumbles, looking at him. “I want you to always remember this.”

He answers with lips pressed on her forehead and eyes closed, and promises at the tips of his fingertips.

Tomorrow, there will be flights to China and screaming fans and schedule upon schedule upon schedule. His relationship with her will be reduced to late night phone calls, blurry videos and stolen moments in dingy dressing rooms, walking through eggshells and the scrutinizing eyes of the public. He will be kissing other lips and she will be holding other hands, and there will be a strange coldness where her warmth used to be.

“When all is said and done,” He whispers. “We will always have this.”

--