Geborgenheit

Odnoliub / однолюб
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(n.) to feel completely safe, like nothing could ever harm you; security, comfort, trust, satisfaction, acceptance and love from others.
(German)

 

The rest of the group has just left Dahyun’s place and were now going their separate ways. Sana and Tzuyu went to their apartment building together, while Nayeon and Jeongyeon went to the nearest bus station together. Their and Momo’s houses were quite far from the rest of the group and each other. Dahyun, Mina, and Jihyo lived in the elite neighborhood, Sana and Tzuyu lived near them in apartments for elites, Jeongyeon and Momo lived in the shady part of town, and Nayeon lived in the normal middle-class neighborhood. Usually, they would go to the bus stop together and separate there as they needed to take a different bus. Nothing particularly exciting happened on the way there, except the fact that they held each other’s hand. Just like the lovey-dovey couple they are; despite knowing each other for most of their lives and in a relationship for almost half a year, they never seemed to get tired of their honeymoon stage. Much to the distress of their friends.

 

They made it to the bus stop and were waiting for Nayeon’s bus to arrive. The bus stops were usually still full of people in this time of the day, however, the area they are in makes the difference. Since Dahyun’s house was in the elite part of the town, there is a low percentage of people that actually use the bus stop. The people in this area just used their lavish cars, which was probably worth more money than Jeongyeon’s and Nayeon’s family have combined. Almost all members of the group were rich in from one way or another, not all legitimately, except for the both of them.

 

The Parks family owned the biggest law firm. The Minatozakis has the biggest magazine company in Korea and Japan. The Sons was a family full of gifted and demanded artist and athletes. While the Myouis family was full of gifted musicians and dancers instead. The Kims owned the biggest share in the most successful Entertainment companies. The Chous was one of the biggest arms dealers in the world. And the Hirais was the largest mafia group in all of Asia.

 

Jeongyeon didn’t have a family or at least not anymore. Growing up was not an easy task for her and her older sister, Seungyeon. Their parents were drunkards and gamblers who did nothing but waste their money on alcohol or drugs. Her parents were also short tempered, and they were often the victims of their anger. At the end of the week, Jeongyeon and Seungyeon would always be covered in cuts and bruises. It would be more severe after coming home from gambling.

 

Being neglected, the siblings had to find a way to survive on their own. Much to the discomfort of her sister, Jeongyeon got into stealing, from pickpocketing to robbing a cashier in the dead of the night. All of this by the age of 8. It was impossible to think that a child of her age could have done something like that, nor even have the knowledge of that. But she did, she had too. If not, she and Seungyeon wouldn't survive. And Seungyeon herself got into street fighting to earn money.

 

Jeongyeon hated that period in her life, but she is also grateful for it. Because it was then she met Nayeon and Jihyo. She first met Nayeon in a park where she attempted to pickpocket her mother and failed. However, instead of reporting her to the police or anything, Mrs. Im gave Jeongyeon money instead. She probably has guessed why a child like her had to steal and pitied her. Jeongyeon was bewildered and grateful, but before she could say thank you, the woman had left. So she went to that park every so often to see if the kind woman was there.

 

It was a month after that before Jeongyeon saw the woman again. She had said her thank you and promised to repay her someday, Jeongyeon didn’t know how but she wanted to. That woman was the second person to have ever been nice to her, the first being her sister.

 

Jeongyeon then noticed a little girl by her age behind the woman, it was Nayeon. Mrs. Im pushed Nayeon to be friends with Jeongyeon, and so they did. They became best friends and Nayeon became Jeongyeon’s favorite person, besides the woman and Seungyeon. Mrs. Im wanted her daughter to have more friends and be more aware of the real world, and she wanted Jeongyeon to have some sort of happiness in her life. Mrs. Im may not know a lot about Jeongyeon, but she knew enough from what she saw.

 

Then one night changed Jeongyeon’s life forever. Her parents had just returned from another night of gambling and were particularly more pissed, and of course, they would let out their anger on their children. But this time, Seungyeon tried to fight back to protect herself and her baby sister. The ordeal didn’t end well. Their father had taken a bottle of soju and crashed it onto Seungyeon’s head. She got a concussion and the glass bottle broke. It would have been much better if it stopped there, but no, what happened that night will always remain in Jeongyeon’s mind. Their mother took the bottle from their father and stabbed Seungyeon in the stomach.

 

The young Jeongyeon didn’t know what to do, she was in a panic. Her sister just got stabbed and for all she knows, she was next. So she ran, she didn’t know where to go nor did she had time to think about it; but anywhere was better than that hell hole. Jeongyeon ran until her legs hurt. Without her noticing, her feet had carried herself to the Im’s household, which was far away from her own “house”. Jeongyeon wailed and banged on the door till someone opened it, she was so loud that the neighbors probably woke up too.

 

Mr. Im was the one who opened, and he quickly took the crying Jeongyeon into his arms. They had become quite close in the few times Jeongyeon visited their house. He carried Jeongyeon into his bedroom, where he and Mrs. Im would comfort the girl. But Jeongyeon didn’t want to be comforted right now, she wanted help. Her sister was dying. So she told the Ims everything she could, and soon they called the police and ambulance. Then they tried to assure Jeongyeon that it was going to be alright and she didn’t have to suffer anymore. Soon Jeongyeon fell asleep from exhaustion, and the Ims brought Jeongyeon to their daughter’s room. Apparently, little Nayeon had been eavesdropping and was extremely worried about Jeongyeon. She refused to let go of the other girl until she woke up.

 

The next month was a tiring for Jeongyeon, both physically and mentall

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter