Secret Unveiled

World of Shadows

Areum’s eyes fluttered open. Her head felt light and fuzzy, as if she had been sleeping for a long time.

“You’re awake.” A middle-aged man with glasses was staring at her. “You’re inside Myeong Hospital. I’m your doctor, Dr. Cho.”

The girl coughed. She felt so weak and there was a throbbing in her upper chest. She looked down to see bandages poking out from her simple hospital clothes. Reaching out with a finger, she touched it. A flash of pain ran though her, awoken from her memory. She involuntarily winced.

“You lost a lot of blood,” said the doctor as he examined Areum’s wound. “Thankfully, there was one person in that group of boys who had the same blood type as you,” the doctor said. “He donated some of his blood to you. He was quite willing, too. You should thank him later.”

“Joonmyeon Oppa?” Areum automatically exclaimed.

The doctor frowned. “His name was Chanyeol, I believe. He was the only person with AB blood.”

The girl’s eyes widened. “Really?”

The man nodded. “AB blood is rare. We tested the rest of the group, but they all had A, B, or O blood. I believe the Joonmyeon you are looking for had O.”

“But Joonmyeon Oppa is my brother. We have the same genetics.”

The doctor shook his head. “What are you talking about? Brother and sister can have different blood types. Also, I think you’re mistaken; according to the testing, you have no relatives amongst the boys.”

“No relatives?” Areum repeated, dumbfounded. She turned pale.

“Are you alright, Miss?” The doctor looked at her worriedly. “Maybe you’ve mistaken Joonmyeon for your real brother. Do you want me to call your real brother?”

“Could you call Chanyeol Hyung?” she whispered weakly.

“Would you like to thank him? Although visitors aren’t allowed until tomorrow, I’ll try calling him in. However, don’t tire yourself too much; he should be here for no longer than five minutes.” The doctor left the room. “Hyung?” he muttered to himself in confusion before approaching the waiting boys.

As soon as Chanyeol entered, he rushed to Areum’s side. “You’re alright? You’re alive? Thank goodness,” he sighed.

“Hyung,” Areum whispered. “Did you donate blood for me?”

“You lost a lot of blood,” Chanyeol stated.

“How… how about Oppa?” Her voice was barely audible.

Chanyeol froze. “Um, he has a different blood type. You know, siblings can be like that. You parents probably had AO and BO blood.”

“The d-doctor said that I-I have no relatives among the Hyungs. I-Is that true?”

Chanyeol wanted to face-palm himself. They hadn’t told the doctor to keep that a secret.

“Call Oppa.” Areum’s voice was pleading. “Please call him.”

“The doctor is mistaken,” Chanyeol stated, making his voice firm. “It’s a small mistake.”

“Call Oppa,” she insisted. She looked tortured. “Call him!”


When Joonmyeon entered the hospital room, Areum was pacing back and forth near her bed.

“Areum!” he cried out. “Are you alright? You should be lying down!” He rushed towards her, but the girl’s pained expression stopped him in his tracks.

Areum slowly faced him. “You’re not my real brother?” She took one step back.

Joonmyeon shook his head. Sorrow pooled in his eyes. “Areum,” he called out, his voice breaking. He reached out for her, but she flinched and stepped back again. Joonmyeon felt like his world was falling down. He lowered him arm and looked away, willing the tears not to come.

“You are my sister! You’ve always been like a sister to me! Ever since I met you in the orphanage, there was not a day I didn’t think you were!” he cried out.

Areum just stared at him with dull eyes.

“Areum, it’s not safe to be out of bed. You should be resting in your condition,” he whispered.

“So you’re not my brother.” Areum seemed to be murmuring to herself. Her face looked pained and was ghastly white. Joonmyeon felt worry overshadowing his sadness.

“Areum.” His voice was gentle. “You have to rest right now. You have to get well.”

Confusion was overwhelming the girl. “I… I want to be alone for a moment,” she whispered, refusing to look at the boy who she once thought was her beloved brother.

Joonmyeon bit his lip. He turned and walked out of the room, feeling as though his heart had broken into a million pieces.

As soon as he entered the hallway, five pairs of eyes pierced him. “How is she?” Kai exclaimed while jumping out of his seat, which was so unlike himself. “What does she say about-”

“She doesn’t want to talk to me.” Joonmyeon’s voice was hollow.

Suddenly, the gang leader went over and grabbed Sehun’s arm tightly, eliciting a surprised cry from the younger boy. “Sehun,” Joonmyeon said. His voice had steadied itself and although his eyes were still full of sadness, they were serious at the same time. “Since you’re her best friend, could you please persuade her to rest and stay beside her? I don’t think I can…” He broke down in the middle of his sentence. Baekhyun went over and patted the older boy’s shoulder as he cried.

“I would do it even if you hadn’t asked me to,” Sehun replied. He promptly entered Areum’s room.

“Hyung,” D.O. spoke out. “Don’t act like the world is ending. Although the truth is out, the fact that she still loves you doesn’t die as easily. She’s just confused. She’ll understand once her thoughts become organized.”

“I don’t want her to leave me,” Joonmyeon said between sobs. “I love her so much.”