The Dark Night

The Renegade’s Saviour

Sunggyu paces in his room, hands behind his back. It's such a human thing to do that he wonders if he's being nostalgic. No, he's not nostalgic, he's restless. Tonight is a special night. Tonight  is a night of prophecy. Not just any old prophecy, but one that concerns and his people and their future.

 

He knows of course, he's always known. After all, he's a commander of the Seoul Clan. And the Seoul Clan is one of the oldest vampire clans in the world. He holds a high position in the hierarchy and the Supreme Commander trusts him with his life. So there’s no way he wouldn't know about the prophecy. But his brethren doesn't. It's not the kind of knowledge you can share with those you rule over. It's a deep and ancient magic that needs to be carefully handled.

 

"My lord." It's Minho, his companion. Minho’s as human, as they come; Sunggyu’s not particularly fond of humans. But Minho’s fascination with him has kept the man alive and in the position of ‘companion’ for so long. Sunggyu didn't promise Minho an eternal life, which is what most of his kind want do if they wish to lure a human into becoming their attendant. Frankly, he's never understood this infatuation of his kind to take humans as partners. Humans are food. Period.

 

He wonders restlessly if companion is the right word to describe his relationship with the human. Minho is only a little more than a servant.

 

But Minho has proven himself to be useful. He can blend in everywhere, and spy on other humans. It's a win-win. And he doesn’t quite trust humans.

 

Sunggyu looks up as the man approaches.

 

"You seem impatient."

 

Minho doesn't know why tonight is special; he can't be trusted with this kind of information. He doesn’t answer and chooses to instead send the man away.

 

Alone in the room again he resumes pacing.

 

Tonight will mark the birth of the one, the prophesied child they’ve been warned about - the vampire slayer, as some refer to him in deep fear. But the prophecy calls him 'The Renegade.’

 

The Renegade - that's who they are waiting for. Waiting to put an end to him as soon as his life begins. The vampires swore an oath to protect each other, to save their kind from other races, most of which are their enemies.  However tonight, they must put an end to one of their own. Tonight, Sunggyu must break the oath he's taken. The Renegade can’t be allowed to survive the night. The lives of his people, his clan, vampire-kind are in his hands.

 

The prophecy is old, older than him or any other vampire he knows at present. The prophecy is as old as time itself and holds secrets that not even he fully understands. Dongwoo was the first one to tell him of its existence, but at the time he couldn’t reveal its contents to him completely. Many centuries had passed before he became a Lord among the vampires. Finally, it was time for him to know the exact words of the prophecy.

 

Tales of the vampire slayer is well known among the vampires, but most of them believe that the slayer is a shapeshifter, one of their oldest enemies. He has no doubt that the shifters would gladly slay all the vampires in their sight if they got the chance. But they can take on shapeshifters as they have proved countless times at wars. He is not worried about any shapeshifter, no, tonight is not the night for old enemies.

 

Tonight, they have to be vigilant among them, among the vampires. As incredulous as it sounds, tonight, the enemy is closer to home than it’s ever been.

 

Tonight the Renegade will arise, as dark as the night, as the prophecy claims.

 

“My lord, it’s time.” This time it’s a different voice. The cold listless whisper of a vampire.

 

He should be honoured – he’s been chosen to put an end to the Renegade. Even though he will be breaking the precious oath he had taken to protect the vampires, his brothers, tonight he will make the ultimate sacrifice by breaking it. The upper echelons who rule the vampires all agree – it is a step that must be taken for the greater good.

 

Wrapping his jacket around him tightly, he sets off. He knows the small house with the white-picket fence very well.  They have kept watch on the house, just in case the vampire tries to flee. But that is a slim possibility since she has no idea…

 

 

 

The room is quiet save for the sounds of a woman's whines. Sunggyu doesn't understand why someone would choose this kind of pain. Childbirth is necessary for the survival of a species, but Sunggyu finds it to be too much of a human trait to be cherished or esteemed.

 

Her screams grow louder and more labored, and Sunggyu knows the child is almost here. He contemplates committing the act now. Killing both mother and child would ensure the death of the Renegade. But his oath to protect not harm his kind so he must spare the mother's life. Besides, it is not her fault that she was chosen to bear the curse.

 

So he waits.

 

It comes before he can stop it, the memory.

 

He learned over the years how to push it down, his past. A life that died hundreds of years ago, with a single bite.

 

However, even now as he prepares to kill, his humanity somehow haunts him.

 

"Sunggyu-ah," her voice is melodic. It always is in his memories.

 

"Omma?"

 

Her smile is soft and radiant.

 

He reaches out to touch her, wanting to feel her warmth. Even if in the recesses of his mind he knows the moment isn't real, he still tries to feel.

 

"Ahhhgggg," the woman's screams breaks the memory's hold.

 

Then he hears it, the reason he is here. He hears the first cry of new life. A life he must end before it starts to save his own, to save his species.

 

“It’s time, my lord,” Jimin reminds him, stepping forward from the shadows.  “This way,” Jimin guides him through the rooms into a small alcove. “I think you’ll find this suitable.” Jimin bows before leaving. He has gone to fetch the baby.

 

It is traditional for the lords to bless any vampires born to their nest. The prophecy had not been been very specific as to the year and date of the Renegade’s birth but the elders had carefully calculated them using the knowledge from the original scroll that held the prophecy. On the day that Sunggyu was made the lord of his nest, he was informed that the Renegade would be born in his fold. The knowledge was hard at first, but he considered it an honor that the elders would bless him with such an important task. A task that he would accomplish tonight.

 

He waits for the child’s arrival.

 

After he blesses the baby, it’s customary for him to bless the mother as well. But tonight, he is not sure if he will be able to face the mother after he has done the deed.

 

“My Lord, it’s a boy.” Just as the prophecy predicted.

 

Jimin presents the baby to him. He takes the little writhing creature in his amrs carefully, astounded by how warm it is. Well maybe it is not warmer than a human being but it has been a long time since he had touched a human being. An arrow shoots through his heart as he remembers a very soft human touch, that of his mother’s.

 

But why is a vampire baby so warm? Is this the indication then, that what he is holding in his hand is more than a vampire?

 

The first thing he notices about the baby are his eyes. They’re large, round, and deep, like a lake. He doesn’t see eyes like that every day, at least not in this country. His throat thickens as he notices the mole on the baby’s nose – everything is real. Until now, the Renegade has been a name whispered, a word on paper, a scary story vampire parents told children. Now, now he’s holding the very object that inspires fear among vampires.

 

I am holding the Renegade in my hands.

 

And yet, he feels no different. It’s just another vampire baby, excelling in beauty perhaps but nothing else. He cannot possibly be looking into the eyes that would murder him in cold blood. That’s impossible.

 

But there is no time for him to judge. He has to carry out his mission and save his species. He cannot waste any more time.

 

He lays the child down before him, rifling through his satchel for the hidden weapon. The child gurgles and squeals in front of him. His little arms and legs flailing about. The child’s large expressive eyes are taking in each of Sunggyu’s movements, as though he knows what the vampire is planning.

 

Again the man wonders if there is more to this child than words written on a piece of paper. He can’t think about that now. He has a duty, one that only he can complete.

 

Sunggyu places one hand over the child’s eyes. With his other hand, he raises the weapon high.

 

“For the clan,” he whispers as he lowers the blade.