light a fire (where the wild things are)

light a fire (where the wild things are)

lt was raining the day their paths crossed for the first time. Not a drizzle, but the kind of rain that poured on and on relentlessly and incessantly. Red was scattered across the sky. Kyungsoo thought it very much looked as though it had split right open in the middle and rain was bleeding through. He leaned his cheek against a curled fist, face turned towards the glistening street outside. It felt like the rain would never stop as they pounded against the window, each drop sharp and carried its own tempo.

 

He noticed the man then on the street, and it seemed so natural that he would notice the shadowed figure standing right beside the lamppost across the road. He was pretty far off, and his judgment was clouded by the rain and darkness of the evening, but the figure definitely belonged to a tall and slim man. He was wearing a sweater with the hood drawn, hair out of sight and the top half of his face veiled in shadows. Just there, standing in the rain, getting completely drenched. Completely uncaring. And staring right at Kyungsoo.

 

His eyes were hidden, yes, but Kyungsoo could feel them trained on him. He kept his eyes on the hooded figure, the same way the hooded figure himself was staring at Kyungsoo. And then something in the world shifted. He felt it, and he knew the hooded figure did too. It was a message from the universe.

 

It was meant to be. It had been written in the stars when the universe came together that Kyungsoo would spot this mysterious figure on an evening the world was swallowed by rain. They were at the crossroads now.

 

He sat up straight, gaze unyielding. But they were still separated by distance he had no control over. A car cruised past slowly, and shielded the hooded figure from Kyungsoo’s sight. His posture had never been straighter. His breath caught in his throat. The car passed.

 

And the street across the road was empty. It was like a ghost-town, except for the dim lights shining out of the old antique shops. There was no hooded figure beside a lamppost, no one at the mercy of the rain, no crossroads.

 

Kyungsoo blinked slowly, and then shifted his attention back to his papers.

 

-

 

He arrived at the crossroads again a week later. It didn’t occur to him as quickly as it did the first time round. Hair mussed, eyelids heavy, arms wrapped around a thick book on Gothic Literature, it was fair to say Kyungsoo definitely wasn’t in the best state of mind. He hadn’t slept a wink for the past five days, and it was undoubtedly starting to take a toll on him. Lost in thought and eager to get back to his sanctuary, he had long since tuned out of his surroundings. The hooded figure’s appearance caught him by surprise.

 

It wasn’t difficult and didn’t take a perfectly-timed coincidence to spot him this time round. He was standing right before Kyungsoo. Still in a sweater, with the hood drawn again, and nothing had changed except that it wasn’t raining anymore and the distance had been done away with.

 

He was much taller than Kyungsoo had estimated. About a head taller, and seemingly well-built with broad shoulders and long legs. Nothing further could be concluded. Kyungsoo stopped in his tracks. It was evening, and the sky was a diffused velvet blue this time. He didn’t need the light from the surrounding street lamps to aid in his vision, but he was grateful for it in his current state of lethargy.


All it would take was five steps. Just five steps for their paths to collide and cross. Kyungsoo remained perfectly still. He lost track of how long he stood there. His mind was a little messed up from the lack of sleep and food, but his stance remained defensive. The hooded figure mirrored his actions, albeit with an aggressive aura.

 

Kyungsoo waited. He wasn’t in total control of himself. And danger seemed to be swelling in this situation. His instincts were slowly starting to take over, but he had to suppress them. Seconds and minutes flew right by as he struggled between irrationality and sensibility, his mouth drawn into a tight line.

 

Then the hooded figure spoke.

 

“I know who you are.”

 

His voice was deep, and it shot right through Kyungsoo. He let out a barely audible gasp, eyes widening slightly. Something in him shifted. He had denial at the tip of his tongue, but then it melted into thin air as quickly as it came. The crossroads. He felt it. It came slow, but it was here now.

 

His feet were at shoulder-width, arms still tight around his book, and he let his eyes fall shut for a moment. When they opened, they were narrowed and lighter than his usual amber eyes, a hint of gray in the uncertainty of the night.

 

“I’m not clueless as to who you are, either.”

 

The hooded figure did not react for the first few seconds, and then his response was non-verbal. He pulled his hood back, dark hair and darker eyes glinting in the moonlight. His lips parted, and the corners of his lips lifted slightly, creating the false impression of a smile. Kyungsoo clenched his fists. It was nothing like a smile. He saw the fangs, just a bit of them, exactly what the hooded figure intended. Then he turned around and was gone within seconds, melting into the night.

 

Kyungsoo had to keep walking this path now. There was no way to reverse.

 

He resumed his journey. His eyelids were no longer as heavy, his eyes a pretty shade of amber again; his guard was down.

 

Raven hair, dark eyes, and fangs - there was no mistaking it. He didn’t need to see the marks on his body for confirmation. It was clear as day, dark as night.

 

Kim Jongin, House of Night.

 

-

 

Quite the impression was made the third time they met. It happened slightly a week after that fateful little run-in, when Kyungsoo was rested enough and his senses sharp again. In truth, he already knew there was another presence in the alley when he decided to walk through that shortcut with his hands tucked into his pockets. He was prepared, ready to take on what he had to.

 

Jongin’s aggressiveness threw him off balance just slightly. Kyungsoo was flung against the wall all too suddenly, Jongin’s grip suffocatingly tight around his neck. He was completely lifted off the ground with his feet hanging several inches in the air.

 

He had almost forgotten the magnitude of the strength creatures like them could possess, having blended so perfectly into human life. His face was masked with impassiveness even though he chided himself internally for underestimating the danger Jongin could potentially bring.

 

“Do Kyungsoo,” was said with the meanest sneer Kyungsoo had witnessed in a long while now. He let his eyes take in the dark eyes, the dark hair, everything that was the opposite of him.

 

Kyungsoo did not speak. He remained motionless by choice, waiting to hear what Jongin had to say.

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

His feet came into contact with solid ground just as suddenly as it was robbed from him. A brief moment was used to steady himself and keep his stand firm as fingers curled into fists.

 

“I was on my way to getting dinner,” replied Kyungsoo with defiance overflowing in his eyes.

 

Jongin did not relent from the gaze. He still kept Kyungsoo trapped against the wall. He was easily three inches taller, and his muscles were taut beneath his tight black T-shirt. Even though they both knew Kyungsoo wouldn’t run, his palms were still pressed against the wall on either side of the smaller male. He was caged in.

 

And Jongin certainly didn’t look very happy with his answer.

 

“In this school. In this place. Are you after me?”

 

Kyungsoo tried to look for malice in those eyes, but there was none. His fists remained clenched as he resolved not to Change, not keen on any enmity between them.

 

“I have been here for far longer than you have. What makes you think I have prophetic abilities on top of everything else?” was retorted in a steady voice of reason and for a moment Jongin’s eyes seemed to soften, but it didn’t last very long.

 

“I can’t trust your type.”

 

“What do you want me to do?”

 

The taller male leaned in. His eyes were so, so, so dark. Kyungsoo couldn’t look away. So dark, so mysterious, and so damn alluring.

 

His words were forceful; every single syllable was exhaled through clenched teeth. “I want you to know that if you try anything funny, anything at all, I will take you down.”

 

There was barely enough time to register the gleaming fangs as Jongin’s lips parted wide enough before darkness crashed heavily into him. He was engulfed. Blinding darkness all over; a raging storm that had no intentions of ceasing yet. Something sharp scraped his neck and his breath halted, skin erupting into goosebumps. He waited for Jongin’s fangs to sink into his neck, for him to realize he was not a pureblood, but it never came. Silence and darkness remained his captor.

 

Now he was angry. He let the Change he had so desperately been trying to suppress burst forth just as a crack split the darkness and light poured in, a tidal wave consuming everything in its path. It was so strong, he couldn’t help it. The light was impossible to control and he could feel the fire in his palms. Then the defeated darkness was gone. His sight was back, but there was nobody in sight. The alley was empty again.

 

The world was still for a long while as Kyungsoo assessed the damage around him. Many years of suppressing what was completely natural to him had gave life to the paradox of stronger but weakened self-control. He had not Changed for many years now, only when his thirst invaded him entirely, but even then he had not used any of his powers. He had been determined to guard it from the world that took everything away from him until now.

 

Now he stood surrounded by the burning cardboards and trash that littered this little alleyway, home to some unfortunate souls. The fire would burn out soon enough, Kyungsoo was sure of it. He was its master.

 

He shut his eyes, willing the fire to burn everything to ashes.

 

Do Kyungsoo, House of Day.

 

He hadn’t been that, not since they came and killed every single vampire they found. Kyungsoo witnessed only the aftermath when he returned from a solo trip into the woods. He was only trying to find himself and he came back to find everyone else lost forever. A new vampire back then, all he could do was run until the world threatened to fall apart. Would he have been called lucky or a coward?

 

Kyungsoo hadn’t been a vampire since.

 

When the gears of the clockwork started spinning again Kyungsoo turned towards the direction he knew Jongin had left in. He must have ran for days to put as much distance as he could between himself and whoever did that to his people. He didn’t look back, he never did, but he found himself staring after Jongin now.  There was no putting out the fire once the flame had been reignited. It would only continue to burn, stronger and stronger.

 

Jongin’s presence lingered long after he was gone.

 

The crossroads merged into one.

 

Something in him was awakening. Something that had been suppressed for a long, long, long time.

 

-

 

His concentration scattered only when Jongin walked into the lecture theatre. He didn’t need to turn around to see him, his strong presence the clearest indication. It was something Kyungsoo had not felt for the longest time, and it was a sensation both familiar and terrifying. Whether he welcomed it or not, there was still no way to tell.

 

The taller vampire was already staring at him when Kyungsoo turned. Their eyes met instantly and the little flame burned on steadily. He could see every single detail of Jongin’s face now that he could afford indulgence, the distance proving nothing to his unhumanly sharp eyesight. He didn’t need to see the marks to know Jongin was a pure-blood. His face was sculpted perfectly, sharp around the edges and cheekbones prominently high. There would have been no other explanation for his especially strong presence and how helplessly Kyungsoo found himself gravitating towards him despite knowing how Jongin felt about him.

 

Kyungsoo had walked this earth for an awfully and unbearably long time all alone as his destiny would have it. It was the punishment of being the sole survivor of his clan. The misery was his to bear, the guilt was his to shoulder, and this hint of hope was something he used to dream of with fervent desperation so long ago it was completely foreign now.

 

It could have been 5 seconds since their eyes met, or 5 minutes; there was no knowing for sure, but Kyungsoo couldn’t bring himself to tear his gaze away. The thought of attracting attention from people surrounding them was ignored in pursuit of the light before his very eyes. He was blind to everything else but Jongin. It wouldn’t take a lot to convince him that the universe had shrunk and encompassed only the two of them at this moment.

 

For an eternity he didn’t even have the smallest shred of hope, but now there was a small flickering flame barely beyond him. With a little luck, it did seem as if it would be in his grasp as long as he stretched his arm far enough.

 

That was exactly what he was doing, if only the flame didn’t simmer into nothing.

 

Time was caught in a tug-of-war between flowing too quickly and not passing at all when Jongin rose gracefully and all eyes turned to him. He broke the charm, walked away, and any rational thoughts in Kyungsoo had long ceased to exist when he got to his feet and chased after Jongin.

 

His heart was beating in a jerky sort of manner, almost mechanically, when he caught up with Jongin who wasn’t very far off.

 

“Jongin!”

 

The taller vampire didn’t bother to respond. He continued walking down the hallway, his backpack slung over one shoulder. Kyungsoo took bigger strides and reached out for Jongin’s wrist. He knew it was a bad choice, and that was proven true when he was slammed against the wall with Jongin’s grip too tight around his fingers.

 

His other hand was still tucked in his pocket. There was cockiness in assuming he needed only one arm to tame Kyungsoo but he wasn’t exactly wrong. His eyes were dark, too dark, and Kyungsoo struggled not to get lost in them and lose his ability of speech. It was arduous effort to remember where he was.

 

“What do you want? I thought I made it perfectly clear for you to stay the away from me.” It was a statement, not a question.

 

“I—“

 

Jongin’s grip became practically bone-crushing before Kyungsoo got the chance to form a coherent reply. It would have reduced a human to ashes by now and Jongin knew that pretty damn well. He wasn’t trying to hurt Kyungsoo for real, just scaring him.

 

It wasn’t working one bit.

 

Kyungsoo was flustered on the surface, but in his heart was a blanket of calmness. He closed his eyes for a moment, willing his composure to be on its best side before he collected his thoughts and did what he thought would make Jongin understand how seriously he was taking this.

 

His eyes were gray, so bright, a mystical light trying to infiltrate the darkness of Jongin’s own eyes.

 

“Why are you doing this?” He asked, voice as steady as he had hoped it would be. It was all coming out. The Change. He couldn’t keep this up for long because soon he would grow thirsty again, and that was too dangerous. He couldn’t expect to conquer Jongin if he couldn’t even keep himself in check.

 

Jongin did not flinch. It was light against darkness. Kyungsoo against Jongin.

 

“The past is still fresh in my mind. This is how we’re supposed to act. Don’t act like you’re clueless.”
 

The past he was referring to was by no means any shared history between him and Kyungsoo. He was talking about the grudge their clans held, the very one that tore them apart and gave birth to enmity between them. It was one Kyungsoo always knew about, but never understood. He wanted to roll his eyes so badly. Did Jongin think they were reenacting Romeo and Juliet? Regardless, nobody in his clan ever talked about it. Perhaps Kyungsoo was still new, but he really harbored no ill feelings towards Jongin.

 

“It’s only like this because you want it to be. We don’t have to be like this. I haven’t seen any other vampire since that happened, Jongin, and I don’t want us to pit ourselves against each other because of this reason. We don’t have to.”

 

Jongin drew his hand from his pocket and slammed it into the wall, narrowly missing Kyungsoo’s head. He was dangerously close now. Kyungsoo could feel his breath on his face. It was very warm, and he had to tilt his head back so he could maintain the eye-contact.

 

“What do you know? You’re not even pure.” Jongin hissed, and then drew his lip back, revealing his fangs. This was bad. This was too dangerous. Someone could walk past and see them. Even though they could probably hear them from a distance away, Kyungsoo wasn’t sure if Jongin would snap out of this. He wasn’t sure if he could snap out of this.

 

His own self control was slipping, teetering on the edge, and what was locked was breaking free, free, free.

 

“You’re right,” Kyungsoo said slowly. His tongue felt heavy, words heavier. “I’m not pure like you, but I’m still a vampire.”

 

Jongin was more than capable of trapping him in darkness once again, but he didn’t. He did nothing beyond holding Kyungsoo against the wall as he did in the small alley. Similarly, there was no real malice in his eyes now, just anger and confusion, and Kyungsoo wanted to get to the bottom of it all. If selfishness was his reason for wanting to retain Jongin by his side, so be it. He didn’t even think he would find anyone like him again, so even if Jongin seemed to hate him with all his heart, he had no intentions of letting him go. These thoughts occupied all of his mind, and barely any attention was paid to the chains rattling, to what was gaining enough energy to break through his suppression.

 

“Barely.”

 

There it was.

 

Kyungsoo slumped, feeling all the air leave his body. His gaze dropped to the marbled floor.

 

Barely.

 

He had tried his hardest to integrate into human life after losing everything, and he had been so successful, too successful. Jongin was right. He was barely a vampire anymore.

 

And then it broke free.

 

The first thing he felt was the hunger burning through the pit of his stomach and briefly wondered how Jongin had managed to deal with this if he had remained what he was.

 

He drew his own lips back, exposing sharp fangs. He could see himself— no, someone unrecognizable in Jongin’s eyes.

 

“I’m thirsty,” Kyungsoo whispered. He didn’t know what came over him. All he knew was that he had been holding this back for so long and now that it was free, he couldn’t help himself. Jongin’s chest was sturdy and Kyungsoo’s finger trailed higher until he was his collar. There was no knowing when his hand got there; not that it was an important detail. He let the hunger claim control over him. The other hand found its other half and Jongin let him undo the first two buttons of his shirt daftly, exposing the sturdy chest he felt and the marks he had longed to see.

 

The vampire marks.

 

Kyungsoo had seen them, but never of vampires belonging to the House of Night. Jongin was the first. His marks were exquisite. The tell-tale crescent of his clan was an onyx constellation in the middle of his chest and Kyungsoo was enthralled. He couldn’t look away, couldn’t advise himself otherwise as his finger landed on the tip of crescent and Jongin’s burning skin. A half-blood would possess only the mark of his clan, but Jongin was a pure, and equally charming onyx lines swirled around his crescent, extending across his chest.

 

His finger was just starting to trail downwards when Jongin withdrew, stepping backwards, and Kyungsoo nearly lost balance. He hadn’t realized he had gotten this close to the taller vampire. There was a moment of deathly silent when the epiphany what he had just done sank in tenderly.  It wasn’t Jongin who had gotten closer. It was him, half mad with hunger. He didn’t know what was scarier—the fact that he had been trying to take some of Jongin’s blood, or that Jongin had witnessed his little game.

 

Jongin walked away without a glance back, doing up his buttons as he went. The other male was left where he stood, feeling nothing but overwhelmed. The key was dangling before him, and now everything was spiraling out of his control. All these years he had spent trying to become as human as he possibly could were wasted.

 

The thirst left flames in its wake as Kyungsoo continued to stare after Jongin. He was in a lot of trouble. But he had not felt this alive in a very long time.

 

-

 

Losing all of his sanity was an inevitable outcome if Kyungsoo continued to try and suppress his thirst by mostly ignoring what was crucial. The professor droned on and on as he tapped his pen against the table, a steady rhythm he likened to the flow of blood around him. His senses were now fully enhanced. He couldn’t ignore what was pressing down on him anymore. He needed to Drink.

 

It had been a week since he last saw the pureblood vampire; that not being something he particularly minded until now. He didn’t want Jongin to look at him when his self-control was next to none. The disdain in Jongin’s eyes wouldn’t do him any good.

 

Animal blood was not enough to quench his thirst. He was in the midst of Changing. It would take so much more than just animal blood to fulfil this. He knew all too well what he needed, but he didn’t have many friends, or any friends for that matter. Since they were all acquaintances, he didn’t know where he was going to find blood to satisfy him without hurting anyone. Human blood was the last resort— there was another kind of blood that could complete his Change.

 

A dozen eyes followed after him as he tried his best to be as discreet as possible in leaving the lecture theatre. His senses were at their peak, but he was not as graceful as he was a long time ago. Clearly, none of that had been taken away from Jongin. He had been dealing with this in a very different manner.

 

Kyungsoo’s footsteps were heavy and dragged as he swept the empty hallway. Helplessness kept trying to overcome him on top of everything else. A long sigh accompanied his footsteps as he raked a trembling hand through his hair, not knowing what to do, what to think, what to feel.

 

He knew where Jongin was. This connection had intensified since the last encounter. It was impossible not to feel the pureblood vampire’s overwhelmingly strong presence, especially because there was something deep inside Kyungsoo calling out for him. He was burning with need for his blood.

 

His people used to take the blood of humans as well, but they had turned to hunting animals instead to avoid providing the Hunters with more reasons to annihilate them. The ones that had completed their Change could indulge in each other’s blood from time to time. They struggled for peace. That didn’t work out in the end, evidently. Kyungsoo came to a rest, sneakers scuffed against the ground. In his current state, rationality was a forgotten dream. The intricate thoughts in his mind were beyond his comprehension.

 

He was turning into an animal.

 

And he had to make a decision right now.

 

The lecture notes he had clutched in his hands were reduced to ashes in a matter of seconds as his footsteps became resolute and steady. The Kyungsoo who had left the lecture theatre was a hunter, and Jongin his prey.

 

It was the Kyungsoo who could proudly declare himself to be part of his clan. Jongin was calling. He would respond.

 

-

 

He didn’t mind that Jongin didn’t greet him at the door. The doorknob melted easily in his hand and Kyungsoo strolled into the living room. It was minimalism at its finest. Jongin had really done away with everything except for what was really necessary— a small couch beside the window and a coffee table and that was it. Kyungsoo only had time to briefly entertain his curiosity of exploring the rest of the apartment before he was plunged into darkness again despite knowing sunlight was pouring in through the open window.

 

This time, he already knew what to expect.

 

“I’m not afraid of the dark, Jongin.”

 

The other vampire didn’t relinquish the darkness he had unleashed. He knew Kyungsoo had his own way out of this. He was testing Kyungsoo’s strength and will.

 

“I can give you a reason to be,” he said.

 

Kyungsoo proved him otherwise. He felt the darkness crumble, a million shattered pieces at the mercy of Kyungsoo as he conjured his own gift of light. The smaller male was met with the sight of Jongin in sweatpants and a black T-shirt, sleeves rolled up in revelation of his biceps. He was what would have been a comfortable distance away in other circumstances, but Kyungsoo was here for his blood and he was too far away for his liking. An inch apart was the most he could withstand.

 

“You know why I’m here,” Kyungsoo whispered.
 

The dauntless look in Jongin’s eyes showed no signs of yielding. He stood his ground.

 

“Why should I let you feed on me?”

 

Prior to coming face to face with the man himself, Kyungsoo had not the slightest intention of using his powers on Jongin but Jongin had a way of forcing him into a corner. Self-control broke free of his grasp and Kyungsoo’s fist loosened, a strong flame dancing steadily on his palm.

 

“Other than the fact that I can set you on fire?”

 

Jongin’s gaze flickered ever so slightly. The fire did not steal his attention from Kyungsoo.

 

“Other than that,” he answered.

 

A wry smile tugged at Kyungsoo’s lips. “Because my blood is just as good for you as yours is for me.”

 

Jongin’s coldness was untouchable. Kyungsoo’s fire was no match for it.

 

“I know you are aware that I can do without your blood.”

 

The flame did not weaken even as darkness started to close in. It was day out, but Jongin was doing his thing again. Light against darkness, coming together.

 

Kyungsoo took a step forward. Jongin did not flinch. He wanted to ask how he had been satisfying his thirst then, but that question dissolved on the tip of his tongue as he decided on the futility of it. It wouldn’t make a difference. Jongin could have been draining humans of their blood and it wouldn’t sway Kyungsoo’s determination to feed on him. He wanted to sink his fangs into Jongin’s neck and feel the blood pour in. He wanted to find comfort in the pureness of his blood. He wanted to feel like a vampire again.

 

“Are you going to come to me willingly or am I going to have to take you by force?”

 

“Why are you so sure you’re a match for me?”
 

The bubbling tension filled up the empty spaces in the apartment, a stifling presence that only hardened his resolve. He took another step, one that signaled his readiness.

 

“Three.”

 

Jongin’s face remained completely unruffled.

 

“Two.”

 

Yet Kyungsoo got the sense that he was only waiting for him to make his move.

 

“One.”

 

The dance had started the moment Kyungsoo spotted the hooded figure on that rainy evening, and it was his turn to lead this time.

 

Darkness crashed into him but he remained undefeated as the distance between them  was bridged in the blink of an eye and he made no detours, fangs sinking right into Jongin’s neck. From that moment, nothing but Jongin mattered. Time froze entirely as blood spilled into Kyungsoo’s mouth, rich and hot. He couldn’t help a small moan as it flowed down his throat thickly. It had been too long and it was so incredibly good. Images of a face that had become very distant in his memories flashed through his mind, a mellifluous voice speeding through the passage of time loud and clear in his head—  You should try it for yourself one day, Kyungsoo. He harder, harder, and harder still, for the thirst only seemed to grow stronger. There was nothing stronger than the desire to drink as much as he wanted until the thirst went away, until the memories stopped haunting him, and the universe could align with his own constellation again.

 

He was still blinded by the darkness when he was thrown back with unspeakable strength, back slamming into the wall so hard he was sure there would be a crack. It was still dark when his vision returned. Jongin had them encapsulated in his circle of darkness.

 

“This is why you came to me, huh?”

 

A very helpless smile was Kyungsoo’s answer as he wiped his mouth with his sleeve. It came away bloody. Jongin was very perceptive, there was no need for elaboration. He probably already figured it out the moment Kyungsoo stepped into his apartment and was just waiting for confirmation. It had to be him. Kyungsoo had to drink from him because he was the only one who was strong enough to stop him. Had it been some ordinary human, he would be left drained of his blood by the time Kyungsoo was finished with him, and it still wouldn’t match up to just one mouthful of Jongin’s pure blood.

 

His thirst wasn’t about to go anywhere yet, but it wasn’t bothering him as much anymore. Now he could think. He remained unashamed even with his rationality returning in tatters. This was what he had to do and he would do it all over again if he had to.

 

The bite marks on Jongin’s neck were already imperceptible.

 

Kyungsoo hooked his collar with his fingers, pulling it aside to expose as much skin as he could. He cocked his head to the side so Jongin had totally unrestricted access. Allowing him to drink his blood right now wasn’t the smartest thing to do, nevertheless, he had to repay Jongin in one way or another. He couldn’t think of anything else Jongin could possibly want from him.

 

“Come on,” he said with a hint of impatience as Jongin took his time closing the distance between them.

 

Jongin’s eyes were impossible to look away from. He wondered how they could remain so cold all the time. The taller vampire leaned in, inhaling deeply and Kyungsoo let his eyes fall shut. Hoping he wouldn’t collapse was the best he could ask for.  It wasn’t something that should weaken him, but Kyungsoo happened to be immensely vulnerable right now.

 

Sharp fangs grazed against his bare skin and Kyungsoo’s breath hitched momentarily, deja vu washing over him. He waited, and waited, and waited, and there was nothing. His eyes shot open, only to meet Jongin’s intense gaze.

 

“Get lost.”

 

The darkness was already being lifted as he spoke, diffused light filtering through the veil. Kyungsoo’s eyes trailed down to where his own lips had been pressed against a while ago. He could still smell the blood and his tongue darted out to his lips, an instinctive move with the thought of paradise. Jongin’s face darkened, well aware of Kyungsoo’s intentions.

 

“I will destroy you,” he promised, his tone so cold and resolute it offered no space for disbelief.

 

Anyone could tell by the predatory look in Kyungsoo’s eyes what he wanted to do. He was already addicted. His first drug—Jongin’s blood.

 

As the light came rushing back, Kyungsoo’s eyes cleared. He blinked slowly, trying to register everything that had just happened and the dangerous thoughts in his mind that grew progressively distant as the sun reclaimed him. He still wanted to drink from Jongin again, desperately so, but now was not the time. Besides, Jongin had not accepted his own offer. He couldn’t take without paying back.

 

He didn’t need to be told twice. He took one last look at Jongin, and left.

 

The blood stains on his sleeve served as the only proof that this ever happened.

 

-

 

Hell rained on the following days, a storm like never before. Kyungsoo kept himself locked in his room, steering clear of all human interactions. Something very drastic was happening in his body, and he was too weak to restrain himself. He knew he would pounce on whoever looked healthy enough to satisfy his thirst.

 

Jongin’s appearance had completely wrecked the world he had built for himself. The Change was forcing him to become the vampire he was before the tragedy, but it happened to be everything he had been trying to avoid. Just crossing paths with Jongin changed all of that. He felt just as lost as he did back then.

 

Isolating himself from the outside world left him in a delirious frenzy, and the hallucinations he was drowning in were the worst. They consumed him whole. The ghosts of his past haunted him relentlessly, drifting through the fire and Hunters, and Baekhyun’s face appeared endlessly. He would have thought he had transcended time if not for the distorted images that loomed before him.

 

You should try it for yourself one day, Kyungsoo.

 

He brought his knees to his chest, hands cupped to his ears. It did nothing to block out the noise, but he had to try.

 

You should should

 

He tried to moisten his cracked lips. The thirst had left his throat in flames and it had only worsened over the past few days. He needed to Drink so badly he was going insane.

 

Baekhyun’s face was just as he remembered; sharp features and kohl-lined eyes. His friend was right beside him, face so incredibly close to his own he could almost feel his rasp of cold breath.

 

You should your for yourself self day

 

A scream tore its way out, ripping everything in its path as Baekhyun’s face burst into flames. The choking smoke wasn’t half as bad as the pungent fear that reeked from the burning corpse before him. Kyungsoo’s body had completely frozen. Only fire could warm him up— the same fire that destroyed everyone else. This had to be it. This had to be how his people felt when the Hunters came for them.

 

Kyungsoo mustered all of his remaining strength and forced his eyes shut. His palms felt the heat first and a small flame burst into life, flickering weakly. He would set himself on fire and end it all.

 

The door was completely torn from its hinges as a tall shadow slid into his room, footsteps agile. The flame went out and Kyungsoo’s eyes were damp with tears. Fear, anxiety, relief, all at once.

 

His body was absolutely burning when Jongin reached him, wrapping his long fingers around Kyungsoo’s warms. A barely audible gasp left his lips at how ing hot Kyungsoo’s skin was. The smaller vampire had really done himself in. His face was ghastly, lips ashen, and he was shaking. He was almost unrecognizable. This couldn’t possibly be the same vampire that left his place the other day. Tears streamed down his face as he trembled, his breath coming in irregular intervals.

 

The heat from Kyungsoo’s skin was burning his bare skin but Jongin held on. He couldn’t take his eyes off Kyungsoo in his state of suffering. This was pain beyond imagination. He knew because he had been through that in the early days when he was on the run, trying to become as human as possible while avoiding the ghosts of his past. It was a mistake he had made and now Kyungsoo was suffering the same fate. He wasn’t entirely blameless, which was why he was here.

 

Kyungsoo was still hyperventilating when Jongin dug a sharp nail into the juncture where his neck and shoulder met. The other hand shifted upwards until he was cupping the back of Kyungsoo’s head, pulling him forward. Then he positioned himself above his head before his blood came gushing out. Kyungsoo’s lips remained closed until the first drop landed on his lips and he gasped audibly. His lips parted and Jongin leaned forward, allowing the blood to flow freely into his mouth.

 

He let Kyungsoo drink, already feeling his presence regain some of its energy. It grew stronger and stronger and Kyungsoo had been drinking for at least five minutes when Jongin straightened up, pressing two fingers against the wound on his neck and feeling it heal instantaneously. This was his limit. He couldn’t spare any more blood or it would be at the expense of himself. Sparing this much of his own blood was already toeing the boundary.

 

Kyungsoo definitely looked better. His face had regained some of its colour even though he was still deathly pale, and he was no longer shaking as badly. His arms were still wrapped around himself, and Jongin slowly released his grip on the back of Kyungsoo’s neck.

 

His palm was burnt, the skin red and raw. He felt the pain— every single second of it, but there was nothing that could have disrupted him from feeding Kyungsoo. The pain was nothing but numbness now. Jongin studied it for a little longer. It didn’t seem like anything worse than a second-degree burn, so it would seem he had nothing grave to worry about with his ability to heal quickly. It wouldn’t take more than three days.

 

Kyungsoo’s skin had practically been on fire.

 

Jongin took a risk and pressed his other palm against Kyungsoo’s cheek. It didn’t come away red and raw, so that was a good sign. The smaller vampire’s eyes were shut, his breath steady; the worst was over. Now he just needed to rest. He didn’t want to think what would have happened if he wasn’t here to help Kyungsoo or if he had been able to ignore his pain. In fact, his heart clenched a little as he looked at Kyungsoo’s docile form before him. The boy was asleep, and with some luck, he would remain so for the next few days until he had healed inside.

 

He sat down beside the bed, feeling the tendrils of fatigue wrap around him. It had been a very long time since he offered this much blood to anyone. Kyungsoo had taken some previously, but that was a very minimal amount, barely enough to help with his thirst. He remained in that exact position until the sun set and cast long shadows into the room, just watching Kyungsoo’s face. His eyebrows pulled together occasionally, but otherwise he was perfectly still.

 

Jongin let the night heal him as well, directing all of its energy towards his burnt palm. He hadn’t gotten out of this the easy way. That night, he had left seven corpses in his path, all completely drained of their blood. He was able to live with it, but he knew it wouldn’t be the same for Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo was nothing like him. This boy wasn’t pure, and he did not have the same hardiness Jongin did.

 

The moon watched over the two of them as the gentle night breeze engaged the lightly swaying curtains in a dance.

 

-

 

It almost felt like he was in a different universe when he came to. It was night out, and the open window brought in a chilly breeze. His neck was painfully stiff. Sleep had a way of leaving mist in his eyes as Kyungsoo rubbed them, trying to get his vision to clear.

 

The last thing he remembered was the agony and suffering and then the shadow that came to end his misery and take him out of purgatory. He was in the exact same position; arms still curled around himself, but the thirst that had consumed him from the inside could hardly be felt now. It had been tamed somehow.

 

Kyungsoo’s tongue darted out to moisten his lips. He sat up in bed, unable to make sense of anything at all. Hadn’t that shadow been the end of him?

 

The moon was visible from where he sat up, and he eyed it warily. What exactly had happened?
 

There were no corpses in his room, and the stiffness in his body was evidence that he had slept like a log for a long time, so where was the raging thirst in him?

 

Jongin’s sudden entrance came as a surprise to Kyungsoo who was still too caught up in his confusion. He didn’t even hear the door swing open. Jongin’s presence was completely masked in the night. He was at his strongest right now, and Kyungsoo, his weakest.

 

“Hi,” he croaked at the tall figure who appeared more like a shadow than anything in the darkness of the room.

 

“You’ve been out for 18 hours.”

 

Kyungsoo scratched the back of his head. The stiffness was starting to fade from his joints and he cracked his fingers, wishing he didn’t feel so weak. Healed, but weak.

 

“Why are you here?”

 

Jongin stopped before his bed. He couldn’t see his face, but he could picture those cold eyes.

 

“I felt it,” he said. “I felt your pain.”

 

It was pointless playing dumb. Kyungsoo knew exactly what he was talking about. He would have been able to feel it from Jongin’s presence had it been the other way around too. Their lives were intertwined forever no matter how much Jongin wanted him to stay away. Their presences were wrapped around each other, co-existing.

 

“I’m not a pureblood, you know that. I didn’t have the strength to handle this. Nothing worked for me. Animal blood didn’t, not the way it used to suppress my hunger.”

 

He took Jongin’s silence as permission to go on.

 

“My body wouldn’t accept anything else other than your blood after I’ve had my first taste. I couldn’t stop The Change from happening after it remembered how it was like to be a vampire again. I don’t know what you did, and I’m not sure if i want to, but thank you for saving me. I don’t know what kind of destruction I would have caused otherwise, or if I would even have pulled through at all.”
 

His voice was hoarse and his lips cracked, but these were words he had to say right now.

 

Jongin didn’t fidget or shift. He remained perfectly still, almost like a stone sculpture if not for the sound of his breathing.

 

“Your body was confused and torn. Your mind, too.”

 

There was no coldness in his voice, only a kind of quietness that flowed like music into Kyungsoo’s ears.

 

“How have you been living all this while?”
 

Kyungsoo hung his head, suddenly grateful for the darkness surrounding the both of them. He knew Jongin’s vision was perfect right now, but as long as he felt shielded from his eyes, he could still deceive himself into thinking so.

 

“Nothing like a vampire,” he admitted. “I’m a half, so it wasn’t impossible for my body to adapt back to being human again. Things were different, but I was able to push away my instincts.”

 

“Your thirst? How did you deal with that?”

 

“I turned to animal blood at the beginning. Then its frequency started to dwindle over time and I’ve mostly been able to suppress my thirst. I’ve even been consuming human food. It made me sick at the start, but my body was able to adapt back.”

 

The sound of Jongin grinding his teeth seemed to resonate in the small room, bouncing off the walls. Kyungsoo tried to catch a glimpse of Jongin but it was still too dark for him to make out his features or even hope of catching his expression.

 

“You understand that things have changed again, right? The Change is complete. There is no way back now.”

 

Kyungsoo knew what that meant. He had watched it happen to some of his people. Baekhyun had been through that too. You should try it for yourself someday, Kyungsoo. Those were the last words he would ever hear from Baekhyun as they sat with their backs against a huge apple tree, basking in the sunshine that fateful afternoon, hours after Baekhyun completed his Change. We’ll see about that, Kyungsoo had replied in a light voice. Show me your mark.

 

His eyes widened, hands flying up to his chest. He pressed his palm against it. When he disappeared into the woods three days before he came back to find everyone dead, he had been battling anxiety and frustration of not being able to Change. New as he was, it shouldn’t have taken that long. How tragic was it for his dreams to come true only now?

 

Jongin watched with interest. He had remained by Kyungsoo’s side for the first 6 hours until the sun rose and it became too much to bear. Of course the smaller vampire had selected the room with the best angle, and it proved nothing but a lot of discomfort for him. He left to let the sun heal Kyungsoo and returned again at sunset. He was only coming back from his project meeting when Kyungsoo roused from his slumber with flushed cheeks. He had not touched Kyungsoo at all, much less seen his new mark.

 

The t-shirt was removed in a fluid movement and a flame flickered to life in Kyungsoo’s palm. It was strong and steady, completely unlike the flame Kyungsoo had conjured moments before Jongin’s initial arrival with the intention to end himself. The smaller vampire brought the flame to his chest and Jongin’s chest was entirely devoid of air as they took in the new mark at the same time.

 

Jongin had seen the marks belonging to Kyungsoo’s people and this was definitely not how it looked like. Instead of the long swirly lines flowing into each other in the middle to resemble a flame, Kyungsoo’s swirly lines took the shape of a crescent, flowing into each other on the edges. It was the combination of a crescent and a flame, of his own mark and the flame that should have been Kyungsoo’s.

 

The incandescent light from Kyungsoo’s fire made it glow a little, and Jongin swore he saw a dancing flame in the crescent-shaped flame for an enchanting second.

 

“This…” Kyungsoo started, voice choked. His eyes were wide when they met Jongin’s and it was the first time the taller vampire was unable to read his expression at all. “You gave me your blood, didn’t you? It was your pure blood that completed my Change.”

 

Jongin saw no point in confirming what he knew Kyungsoo already knew. The truth was obvious, immortalized in his chest.

 

“The blood of the House of Night…” he uttered in a shaky whisper. “My blood and your blood…”

 

The flame on his palm did not tremble like his voice did. It was a warrior in the darkness, protecting Kyungsoo from the coldness of the night.

 

No words were spoken for an awfully long time. Neither of them could register what had happened. The realization, once accepted, would be an immense weight upon them. They didn’t want to admit it or think about it, at least not for now. Jongin summoned the darkness, allowing it to curl around his frame, tempted to disappear from Kyungsoo’s sight completely.

 

Shrouded in darkness and fuelled by its strength, Jongin broke the silence.

 

“I’ve never done this before. I’ve never offered my blood to complete anybody’s Change.”

 

Kyungsoo took a while to mull over his confession. “I’ve never thought my Change would be completed by someone of another House. I didn’t even think it would be possible.”

 

“It was a reckless move on my part.” Jongin’s words had to be forced through gritted teeth. “It was my fault.” Yet, even as he said that, he found that he couldn’t quite take his eyes off the mark on Kyungsoo’s chest. He had always thought them to be polar opposites, perpetual rivals, but now their marks were joined together so perfectly it was nearly impossible to tell they had been two completely different marks at all.

 

“You saved me,” Kyungsoo responded simply. “You did nothing wrong besides saving me.”

 

The flame grew smaller and smaller as his eyes grew lighter, until an auroral gray was embodied in his irises. He could see through the darkness, he could see Jongin so clearly. His eyes were not cold— that was the first thing Kyungsoo picked up. He looked pained and uncertainty surged through Kyungsoo.

 

This didn’t seem like the same Jongin he had been interacting with. He wasn’t at his throat, for that matter, but there was also confusion and pain in his eyes, so many other emotions Kyungsoo couldn’t even start to dream of deciphering. He would never be able to. All he wanted was for Jongin to treat him with anything but hostility, and now that it was happening, Kyungsoo found himself not knowing how to react.

 

His eyes swept through the darkness and Jongin was soon left defenceless in front of him.

 

The taller vampire bowed his head, face hidden with that move. Kyungsoo waited patiently. He would be the one to admit the truth then.

 

“We’re tied together forever now, you and I.”

 

Jongin’s blood was the only blood he could drink now. He was a part of what had made him and completed him. There were no more crossroads, only one common road they had to walk down together.

 

He didn’t see it coming until Jongin had fled. He turned around and ran, using darkness to mask his disappearance perfectly. Kyungsoo didn’t try to tear the darkness apart with his eyes this time. He hunched forward, touching his mark with his fingertips gently.

 

He was Changed and Marked. Only Jongin could keep him sane from this moment on.

 

-

 

It took three whole days of doing nothing but lying around aimlessly on the bed before Kyungsoo felt like he was fully rested and ready to try to return to the life he had built for himself. He stepped out of his house bright and early on the fourth morning, decked in a comfortable checkered shirt and black jeans. The wind brushed against his face lightly, a gentle welcome back to the outside world. It brought a small smile to his face. He got enough sunlight to recuperate in his apartment, but nothing felt as lovely as being able to bask in what gave him life and strength. Vampires burn in the presence of sunlight? That was absolute bull.

 

He was a little thirsty, but it wasn’t anything he couldn’t suppress and three days had not been enough time for him to figure out what path he should take with Jongin now. From his tone, it was clear he knew his fate with Kyungsoo was shared now, governed by interdependence. Yet, he had not tried to reach out to Kyungsoo in any way.

 

A couple of acquaintances exchanged pleasantries with him on his way to the lecture theatre and everything felt so normal. What had happened three days ago was already starting to feel like a dream Kyungsoo couldn’t distinguish from reality. He might have convinced himself that it was one, if not for the mark on his chest that overturned all the sense in this universe.

 

It was nearly twilight when Kyungsoo gathered his lecture materials, sleeves rolled up to his elbows and ready to head home. Perhaps he’d watch a couple of movies and read some notes to catch up with everything he had missed before turning into bed. He no longer had to consume food because it would probably taste like absolute crap compared to the nourishment Jongin had offered him, so there was a long moment of hesitation when some friends asked him along for dinner at a new restaurant near the university.

 

He looked at the earnest faces of Chanyeol and Joonmyun, and found himself saying the opposite of what he had meant to. And thus, Kyungsoo found himself sitting in a restaurant with overly-dim lighting and hopelessly common decorations. The menu was nothing impressive either; it was almost a perfect replica of every other menu he had seen along this stretch of road. Chanyeol and Joonmyun chattered on and on infinitely, their faces shining as they scanned through the menu like it was exotic food they had never seen. Kyungsoo rested his head on a curled fist, bored. He already knew what he was going to get. Food was meaningless now anyway, eating it would only be for appearance sake.

 

A waitress was quick to serve them when Chanyeol called for one, and Kyungsoo watched her scribble down their orders with alacrity. He gave her enthusiasm towards her job at most three more months. This was a profession he had once tried, and got tired of the quickest. With all the years he had spent simply wandering from town to town, there were few industries left that he had not plunged into.

 

The food came just as quickly, and he watched his friends dig in with shining faces. They complimented the food, and only then did Kyungsoo lift his own fork and knife, slicing into the meat effortlessly. It looked fine, but he was slightly apprehensive about how it would taste, not because it was a new restaurant, but simply because his diet had changed.

 

It tasted like… nothing.

 

He could feel the texture and the tenderness of the meat, but there was no taste to it; almost like his tastebuds had decided to stop working, to react only to a certain someone’s blood. It was decidedly strange experiencing food the way he was right now. Shame, because Kyungsoo had grown rather fond of human food. He had been a complete er for mac and cheese. Now he would never taste it again.

 

Chanyeol and Joonmyun were way too engrossed in showering their respective meals with all the love and attention they could offer, and Kyungsoo tried to eat as normally as he could, shoving piece after piece of meat into his mouth and going through the routine of chewing until it was ready to be swallowed. He was only halfway through his meal when he first felt it. Spatial awareness was stolen away instantly and there was nothing Kyungsoo could do but direct every ounce of his attention and concentration towards what he was feeling. There was an unfamiliar sensation in the middle of his chest, right where he knew his mark was and his mind was all fuzzy.  There was only one face he could envision in the darkness, one that had appeared in his dreams multiple times.

 

Dark hair, cold eyes, high cheekbones.

 

He was calling out for him. Kyungsoo’s throat burned. Jongin was thirsty. He was so incredibly thirsty, and he was calling out for him. He stood up, eyes still dazed as the fork fell to the ground with a clang. Chanyeol and Joonmyun looked up, surprised.

 

They called his name multiple times before it finally got through to Kyungsoo. He forced an apologetic smile at them, mumbling something along the lines of having forgotten there was something urgent he had to do right now and had to rush off first. Then he reached for his wallet absently, pulling out some notes without really knowing how much that was worth and pushing them towards Chanyeol before he his heels and took off into the dark night. There were many things he missed, like the way Chanyeol’s face fell and the sympathetic frown on Joonmyun’s face when he turned to his friend. It was fine. They didn’t matter right now.

 

From the moment his feet came into contact with the pavement, there was nothing else that could reach him anymore. It was only Jongin, Jongin, Jongin in his mind. He ran for all he was worth, faster and faster, until the world was a mess of flashing lights and buildings blurring together. He didn’t know how long he kept up this speed. His mind guided his entire being towards Jongin. There was no telling of the exact location Jongin was at, but he knew where to go. He just had to keep on running.

 

Kyungsoo ran, and ran, and ran, with his breath steady throughout, and he found himself before a familiar looking door at the end of it. He recalled melting the doorknob right off not so long ago and now a new doorknob stood in its place. Kyungsoo couldn’t help the brief second of guilt as he wrapped his fingers around it, the heat doing its job fairly quickly.

 

Jongin’s apartment was just as bare as Kyungsoo remembered it to be. He knew where Jongin was and wasted no time in getting to him. He had chosen to set up a small sanctuary in the last room along the hallway, and it was pitch dark when Kyungsoo pushed the door open.

 

“Jongin.” He muttered, voice small in the uncertainty of the darkness.

 

He could make out a silhouette on the bed. Even with his unhumanly eyesight, it was impossible to see clearly. The room was exceptionally dark, as expected of Jongin to conjure the night to shield him from prying eyes.

 

There was no response.

 

Kyungsoo inched closer. All he could do was try not to trip on his way towards the bed, and it went as he desired because his knee bumped into the softness of the mattress without a single accident. He kicked his shoes off impatiently before crawling onto the bed. Jongin’s silhouette remained so still it was starting to worry him.

 

“I’m here, Jongin. I heard you calling out to me, I felt you.”

 

A small groan was heard and the darkness seemed to shift. It eased just slightly, and Kyungsoo could see him now. He was sitting propped up against a fat pillow, his eyes trained on Kyungsoo. He looked no different from the last time Kyungsoo saw him, only a little more drained.

 

“I didn’t call out to you,” was all he could say.

 

Kyungsoo tried to hold back his smile. This vampire in front of him was absolutely starving, in need of his blood, and that was what he was worried about? He bit his lower lip, hoping a hint of a smile was all Jongin caught. He didn’t want him to feel ridiculed.

 

He was on his knees, and pushed himself closer towards Jongin. The other vampire only stared, his eyes flickering with emotions Kyungsoo didn’t have enough heart to figure out. He reached out when he was close enough, hand sliding around the back of Jongin’s head. There was no resistance, which was better than what he had expected. Jongin should have done this the night Kyungsoo drank from him, but he held himself back for obvious reasons and Kyungsoo was repaying the debt he owed now.

 

He leaned into position, tilting his head to the side as much as he could and exposed his neck to Jongin.

 

“Drink,” he commanded in a gentle but firm tone.

 

Seconds ticked by without a reaction from Jongin, but Kyungsoo could feel his thirst. It was setting his own throat on fire. He was just about to force open Jongin’s mouth when Jongin did so on his own accord, fangs glinting. Kyungsoo kept his hand around Jongin’s head to hold him in place just in case. Then he let his eyes fall shut. He had never offered his blood to any other vampire. There was no knowing what to expect.

 

It wasn’t painful at all when Jongin’s fangs sank in and the blood flowed from his body into another. It didn’t feel like anything even though it took a short while to get used to the heat around the juncture of his neck.

 

He let Jongin drink patiently, eyes no longer shut now that he knew there wasn’t going to be pain as long as he was being treated civilly. He was facing the padded headboard, unable to turn his head, and Kyungsoo allowed his thoughts to wander.


Tonight, he wanted to get past the elephant in the room. It was time they sat down together and talked about what they were going to do about this now, instead of avoiding each other (only on Jongin’s part honestly) and dealing with this rationally.

 

They had to keep each other satisfied.

 

Jongin lifted his head when he was done drinking and pressed two fingers against the wound, watching it seal with an unreadable expression. Kyungsoo released his hold around Jongin’s head and sat back, feeling a little shaky now that it was over.

 

“We can’t rely only on each other’s blood.”

 

Jongin startled him by taking the initiative to speak first. The burning thirst in his throat was gone now, and he was finally able to feel calmer and more like himself. He had really lost control of everything back in the restaurant. Now he was with Jongin, he was at peace.

 

“What do you mean?”
 

“I’ve been surviving on blood bags,” said Jongin. “I know someone who works in the hospital, and he’s been my source of supply.”

 

Kyungsoo dropped his gaze. He knew very well what Jongin was saying. Their blood would keep each other sane, but they couldn’t rely solely on each other. It was not enough to satisfy their thirst, and it would only harm the both of them in the long term if he insisted on doing that.

 

“Why didn’t you get a blood bag this time?”

 

Jongin’s voice was almost husky. “I needed your blood.”

 

“Do you still hate me?”

 

The darkness seemed to swell. Kyungsoo kept his hands together, fighting the urge to conjure a flame. His mark was half Day, half Night, but his abilities had not changed. He still belonged to the Sun, except that he had gained acceptance from the Moon as well.

 

Jongin sighed heavily. “I guess we owe each other too much for that.”

 

I never harbored any hatred towards you, Kyungsoo wanted to say, I never wanted this bad blood between us. But he kept his mouth shut. It was redundant; Jongin had made it clear he couldn’t hate him, whatever that meant. It didn’t matter. The prejudice held by Jongin was slowly starting to dissipate, and Kyungsoo didn’t care if it was because of guilt or some other reason. This was enough for him. Tonight, he was going to change how Jongin felt about him.

 

They remained where they were, eyes not meeting. The darkness kept shifting around them, not to entrap Kyungsoo this time, but to accommodate him in the little nest Jongin had built for himself.

 

“Why do you hate me?” was blurted out before Kyungsoo could stop himself, and he regretted it the instant those five words left his lips.

 

Jongin’s tone remained cordial. “It’s between our clans.”

 

Kyungsoo looked up at his reply. Jongin’s face was the only thing he could see in this darkness. His hair was a little messy but otherwise he looked fine and healthy.

 

“No. That’s not it. Tell me the real reason.” He quickly decided against adding a threat at the end of it. Jongin wasn’t the kind of person to react well to that. He was someone who looked all tough and bad on the surface, but he had to be reached out to gently.

 

“You’re Day, I’m Night. You’re light, I’m darkness. What more is there to explain? We’re not meant to get along. We are at odds with each other. It’s in our blood. It’s in our nature. It’s in us.”

 

Jongin finally looked up and met his eyes when he heard Kyungsoo’s laughter. His eyes grew cold again and Kyungsoo barely had enough time to gasp before the darkness closed in on him, except this time it couldn’t consume him. He was part of it now. Jongin seemed to realize that only when he tried, and a frown broke the coldness of his face. He looked so much like a petulant child whose prank had failed.

 

Kyungsoo had only one word and one thing to offer. “Look,” he said in a low voice.

 

There was a bit of resistance from the darkness but the flame came to life eventually, flickering a little unsteadily on his palm. It was a very small flame, but one nonetheless. It was glowing with life in this unnatural darkness.

 

Kyungsoo’s smile was slow and easy as he maneuvered his gaze from the flame on his palm towards Jongin. The flame grew stronger and bigger as he continued to draw strength from not just himself, but also the darkness around him and from Jongin’s presence. It stopped flickering unsteadily, and instead danced against the odds, an incandescent beauty possible only in the darkness.

 

Jongin’s face remained masked with coldness, but Kyungsoo could see the reflection of the dancing flame in his eyes and his own heart was aglow.

 

“Do you understand now?”

 

Maybe the flame had stupefied him as he reached out with his other hand, coming to a rest on Jongin’s warm one. He took it placidly, holding on just tight enough for his heart to reach Jongin’s. He wanted to take the other neglected hand as well, properly touch the pair of hands that had guided him through the hell he had been through and saved him from the past that wouldn’t go easy on him, but he was contented with just one right now.

 

“We’re not opposites,” said Kyungsoo in an affable voice. “We were never created to be against each other. We’re complements. You make up for what I lack. I make up for what you lack. We can’t exist without each other.”

 

He looked at Jongin just sitting there in a black T-shirt, staring at the flame, and felt his chest constrict with pain. Despite his cold mannerisms, he had definitely gone through the same pain Kyungsoo did, losing his clan and walking this earth alone for so many awful years before they met each other. He must have wanted to connect with Kyungsoo so much, but was torn between that desire and what he thought was resolute. Kyungsoo wanted to break through all of that. He was very certain about what he felt. He was not going to let go of Jongin, not that either of them had a choice regardless, but he had finally found someone he could hold onto and his lonely fate had come to an end.

 

Jongin kept his eyes on the flame as he whispered, “You should go.”

 

This was totally different from when he told Kyungsoo to get lost the previous time he was here. Jongin looked as though he had a lot he needed to absorb and reconsider, and he didn’t blame him. He flicked his wrist upwards, sending the flame soaring into the darkness before it was lost and Kyungsoo got off Jongin’s bed, reaching for his shoes.

 

He didn’t look back at Jongin until he reached the door.

 

“I’ll come around soon,” Kyungsoo promised.

 

It was only when he was about to leave the apartment did he realize he forgot to tell Jongin that he melted his doorknob yet again, but Kyungsoo shrugged and just went on his merry way. Truth was, Jongin was also too much for him right now. Moreover, he would probably realize it on his own sooner or later.

 

Kyungsoo craned his neck, allowing the stars in the night sky to fill his vision as he walked home.

 

-

 

The streets were thumping with the gaiety of a Saturday night as they made their way through, the faces of the crowd eventually blurring together into an indistinct mesh of features. Sometimes they would walk close enough for their arms to brush, and it was always Jongin who would step further away, maintaining a safe distance between the both of them.

 

He was the one who showed up at Kyungsoo’s door, which signaled his acceptance of whatever Kyungsoo had said to him that night, but Kyungsoo could feel his guard was still up. This wouldn’t be something that would be easy to break through but he had all the time in the world to figure out everything this tall and handsome vampire beside him had been through and be part of whatever was in store for him— for them.

 

Taking a walk in the streets was much better than staring awkwardly at each other, humming and hawing to fill the air between them. Kyungsoo could tell Jongin was enjoying this too. The coldness on his face was still there— he had never seen it slip— but there was also a hint of warmth. They walked without saying much, occasionally stopping at shops they found interesting and exchanging opinions on little things.

 

Kyungsoo closed his fingers around the book he had picked up, feeling comfort in its weight and solidness. It had a rather intriguing cover and that was enough to convince Kyungsoo to reach into his back pocket for his wallet. He had only just started making his way to the counter to pay when Jongin cut him off at the end of the aisle, a book in his hands. His eyebrows were raised when he lifted the book to Kyungsoo’s face.

 

The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Vampires

 

Kyungsoo couldn’t help the laughter that burst through. “Oh,” he exclaimed. “Trust me, those books are absolute trash. They’re only going to piss you off.”
 

Jongin cocked his head slightly then. Kyungsoo thought he saw the corners of his lips quirk upwards, but it must have been ephemeral, for there was nothing to indicate humour afterwards.

 

“Why do they think they know about us at all?”

 

Kyungsoo glanced back at the man trailing behind him,  lifting his shoulders in a quick shrug.

 

“I’ve come to the realization that humans think themselves superior and capable of passing judgment on everything else. There’s nothing that makes sense about that. They’re never going to get close to gaining new knowledge when they choose to believe in what they want to believe.”

 

That was the lengthiest reply Kyungsoo had given him in one go so far, and he paused for a moment, unsure why he was suddenly feeling a wave of self-consciousness. The sound of footsteps behind him remained steady. Jongin would play him like an absolute fool if he chose not to respond to that. Damn it, why was the goddamned counter so far away?

 

Jongin’s response was one that left him amused.

 

“Why does it sound a little like you’re talking about me?”

 

A wide grin wreathed Kyungsoo’s face as he turned around to regard Jongin again.

 

“Sounds like it’s time for some self-reflection then.”

 

-

 

It was nearly midnight when they arrived at the campus. A particular vampire had decided to act a little crazy and talked about wanting to come back to school because there was a place with an amazing view and he hadn’t been there for a while. Kyungsoo went along. There was nothing else he could have wanted to do.

 

Shrouded in the darkness Jongin’s summoned, making it into the empty campus was not a problem. They remained as quiet as they could and all Kyungsoo could do was follow Jongin, but because they were sharing the same cloak of invisibility and he had no idea where the hell Jongin was leading them to, the only thing he could do to avoid lagging behind or going in the wrong way and stepping out of the boundary of the darkness was grab hold of Jongin’s sleeve. He felt Jongin stiffen, but that was all. Kyungsoo’s gaze wasn’t on the route ahead of them anymore. He couldn’t tear his eyes away from the sight of Jongin’s sleeve pinched between his fingers. It was at this very moment, on a Saturday night when the world around them was quiet and the moonlight mellow that Kyungsoo realized he already trusted Jongin wholeheartedly. He could be leading him to his demise and he would follow him without hesitation.

 

Jongin was everything he had been desperately wishing for so many years, and all of his stakes were on this man now. Jongin was everything to him. He wasn’t going to run away from that fact. He would embrace it fully.

 

They stopped before a building in the West Wing, one Kyungsoo rarely had lectures in, and Jongin nodded at the handles of the locked door.

 

“Do your job,” he said.

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes were wide. “That’s illegal!”

 

Jongin rolled his eyes. It made Kyungsoo feel a little happy for some reason. He was always devoid of emotions before him and the rest of the world, it would seem, and to be able to see something different was greatly rewarding.

 

“Right, and destroying two of my doorknobs isn’t? You sure have a messed up perception of the law, Kyungsoo.”

 

Kyungsoo’s face grew scarlet. He looked away from Jongin, half-wishing he could punch him in the face, and the other half wishing he had just agreed to doing it from the start. He was already planning to comply anyway.

 

The handles were cold when he grabbed them with one hand, and the other was pressed against the door lock between them. Already burning with embarrassment, the process was extra quick this time round and Jongin nodded with satisfaction when the glass doors swung open.

 

“Nice,” he complimented. Some of the embarrassment faded, but Kyungsoo’s cheeks remained a little flushed from the thrill.

 

They conquered flight after flight of stairs, and at last came face to face with the door that would lead them to the rooftop. Jongin twisted the doorknob while Kyungsoo’s breath was halted in anticipation, but it wouldn’t budge.

 

“Again,” said Jongin.

 

Kyungsoo sighed and placed his hand on the door-knob.

 

Cool air rushed to meet them as the door was pushed open with a creak and they stepped into the dark night. The cloak of darkness fell away, rejoining the night as Jongin dug his hands into his pockets as if to say this is it, this is my favorite place in school.

 

As far as Kyungsoo could see, it was just an ordinary rooftop. Despite that, he kept his comments to himself, grateful for many things. It was a place Jongin liked, and he wanted to try to find the same beauty he did in this quaint place. The honour of being an invited guest to this secret paradise filled his heart with joy.

 

The silence was comfortable as they took their time comprehending this universe. Jongin let the night cradle him, and Kyungsoo allowed the night to entwine him, a remarkable feat for someone who was only used to sunlight getting this close to him.

 

Jongin reached the ledge with a few strides and took a seat before swinging one, then both legs over it. They dangled freely. Kyungsoo followed him, swinging his legs over carefully and kept his grip on the edge of the sturdy ledge. When he got over his paranoia of falling over, he took a look at what laid before him and inhaled sharply.

 

This building happened to be at the edge of the campus, and before him was a bird’s eye view of a sleeping city. Grey buildings, flecks of yellow-tinted lights, a world beneath their feet.

 

This was the view he was promised.

 

“Amazing,” said Kyungsoo in a breathless whisper.

 

Jongin gave him a long glance.

 

“So, tell me.”

 

Kyungsoo hummed in response. The alluring sight before him rendered him incapable of looking away.

 

“What is the most ridiculous thing humans say about vampires?”

 

“That we sleep in coffins? That’s crazy. I love my bed.”

 

“You sure do sleep a lot.”

 

Kyungsoo ignored his remark pointedly and went on. “That’s just one, and I have no idea why they make us out to be a lot more heartless than we actually are. They fear us because we Drink from them, but they have completely no idea that we do depend on each other’s blood too. We’re so misunderstood, I don’t know how the hell they come up with like that.”

 

When there was no response after a few minutes, Kyungsoo’s interest changed its course. Jongin’s face was its usual state of impassiveness, but the moonlight was shining on his face and made him appear considerably softer.

 

“What about you?”

 

Jongin took his time to come up with an answer, and when he spoke, his response slowly left his lips.

 

“That we’re creatures who are basically dead. That we have no heartbeat, no functioning organs, no fatigue. That is too cruel.” Their eyes met when he turned his head to regard Kyungsoo with those dark eyes, except the moonlight had seeped into them and Kyungsoo was getting drunk on them. “They call us the undead. The undead can’t possibly feel anything, but we do.”

 

Kyungsoo’s stomach twisted painfully and there was nothing he wanted to do more than pull Jongin into his arms. The boy kept his mask on all the time, but beneath it, he was just as lost and afraid as Kyungsoo was. He needed love, he needed so much love. It was always the ones who looked as though they didn’t need any love and could get by on their own that needed to be loved the most.

 

“Tell me,” he said, restraining himself from reaching for Jongin. He didn’t want to scare him away. He wanted to coax him out of his shell, even if it meant a long wait.

 

“Have you ever been in love?”

 

The question stunned him into temporal silence. Kyungsoo shook his head when he realized his speech ability was lost for now. He didn’t remember what kind of life he had led before he turned into a vampire, and he hadn’t been one for very long before everything changed. Love was a luxury he wasn’t able to afford in the midst of figuring himself out.

 

“I watched him die.” Jongin’s voice was steady, but his eyes were otherwise. They were sad. “I couldn’t do a single thing as I watched the blue fire consume him. I tried to reach out for him, to burn myself along, but the very last thing he did for me was to extinguish the blue fire as soon as I tried to even after his death. He was the last one who was still burning when I got there. They killed him last.”

 

The epiphany would have undoubtedly sent him toppling off the building had it been tangible. This was the underlying reason why Jongin was so wary of him and wanted to believe in the grudge so much. It was blue fire, but fire nonetheless, that took away everything he loved, and Kyungsoo was fire.

 

“It was the same blue fire that killed all of my people,” said Kyungsoo in a small voice.

 

Jongin broke the eye-contact, turning his head back to the blissfully sleeping city. Some secrets could only come easy in the dark.

 

“I know. The truth is, I stopped hating you the first time I saw your flame. I was selfish; I just wanted someone I could blame. I thought it would make me feel better.”

 

Kyungsoo took a leap of courage and shifted closer to him until the sides of their thighs were pressed together.

 

“Did it?”

 

Jongin laughed dryly, without humour. “Not at all.”

 

“You’re not alone anymore. You don’t have to be scared and alone from this moment on. I’m here. You have me with you.” It sounded really cheesy in Kyungsoo’s mind, but it didn’t sound as bad when it left his lips and he was relieved. He meant it— every single word. He wasn’t going to go anywhere. The mark on his chest felt warm, a slow burning from the inside that didn’t hurt him one bit. It was witness to his promise.

 

“You have me with you,” he repeated.

 

Jongin’s eyes were so damn mesmerizing. the world that was beneath their dangling feet, all he needed was this pair of eyes to realize there was still a lot of beauty left in this universe. Jongin’s appearance had opened a gateway to a world that wasn’t so terrifying and lonely. Kyungsoo wanted nothing more than to fall right into it.

 

“Thank you,” Jongin said, and even though it wasn’t the reply Kyungsoo had hoped to get, it was enough.

 

He bumped their shoulders together playfully, and the night grew a little older.

 

-

 

Kyungsoo shifted his weight, trying to get as comfortable as he possibly could while studying. His notes were scattered all across the wooden floor he had gotten so used to seeing. Lately, he had been spending more time in Jongin’s apartment than his own. Studying seemed more like a manageable task with someone else around to motivate him.

 

Occasionally he would glance over at Jongin who was sprawled on the couch, tapping away on his iPad. Looking at him like that, it was all too easy to forget who he really was, and what Kyungsoo himself really was. He just looked like a normal teenager, as attached to his electronic gadgets as most teenagers were nowadays.

 

Kyungsoo couldn’t help the sharp flare of curiosity. “What are you doing?”

 

He was used to seeing Jongin read a book, so seeing him so intensely concentrated on his iPad was worth neglecting his notes for a little while.

 

Jongin hardly looked his way. “Nothing much.”

 

The scowl on Kyungsoo’s face should have been enough warning for Jongin to come up with a decent reply to his question, but he wasn’t looking, and all it took to dim the screen completely was a flick of his wrist.

 

Jongin’s eyes were wide, mouth shaped into a perfect ‘O’, astonishment spilled all over his handsome face when he finally gave Kyungsoo due attention. It seemed like a lifetime ago when coldness was the only expression Jongin wore. He was starting to see different sides of Jongin, even though they were mostly brief and never stayed long. Jongin looked good no matter what expression he chose to wear.

 

“That’s rude,” he said, but there was no real anger in his tone.

 

“What were you doing?” Kyungsoo asked again, a cheeky grin spreading slow on his face.

 

“I was just playing a game, okay? It’s not like I was on an online vampire dating site… What else can you do besides that? I feel as though I should be a hell lot more careful around you.”

 

Kyungsoo flicked his wrist again and the display screen came back to life. It proved to be less interesting than the male sitting five feet away.

 

“Not much,” Kyungsoo declared with mock superiority. “Just you know, the usual. Setting people on fire, destroying their iPads, breaking into their house, their blood, and flying.”

 

The astonishment remained on Jongin’s face.

 

“The last one isn’t true. I’m just kidding.”

 

“You’re pretty incredible,” said Jongin. “Not bad for someone as small as you.”

 

Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes.

 

“What did you say?”

 

The lights went out — no, darkness curled around the lightbulbs —  before Kyungsoo could register what was happening, and Jongin had disappeared into the sudden surge of darkness.

 

“Use your fire to seek me out if you’re that good!”

 

His head snapped towards the sound of Jongin’s voice. His night-vision had definitely improved after he was Marked, but this was an extreme amount of darkness. Jongin was really going all-out. He was either really into this, or wanted to fathom just how strong Kyungsoo truly was.

 

“Come on,” Kyungsoo said in a groan. “I don’t wanna set your apartment on fire. And my notes! They’re still everywhere. At least let me gather them before we do this? Jongin?”
 

Silence was his response, and a very mocking one too. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. He rose to his feet, running one hand through his hair in vexation. He really didn’t want to risk setting his apartment on fire, but he didn’t want Jongin to think he was weak either.

 

“How much of a child are you to still enjoy hide-and-seek this much,” he murmured into the darkness. He could see nothing beyond the furniture in the apartment. It wasn’t going to be easy finding Jongin.

 

A flame came to life at his command. Kyungsoo kept it before him, trying to light up the darkness. It worked considerably well even with the excess amount of darkness. He stepped away from his notes, away to a safer place.

 

“Are you expecting me to start shooting fireballs around? I’m not that powerful, you know.”

 

Still no response.

 

His smile was helpless now. Jongin was so much like a child sometimes. They had gotten a lot closer with the amount of time they were spending together, but still not in the way Kyungsoo hoped. He was working towards that, and he knew he was getting there. It was just a little out of reach.

 

“Fine, I’m not gonna be responsible if you lose your apartment!”

 

His eyes turned gray. A cold darkness engulfed the room the moment his flame went out, and it recoiled just as instantaneously when Kyungsoo’s hands burst into flames. Much of the darkness weakened, but no Jongin appeared. That kid was taking this way too seriously.

 

Kyungsoo frowned. Then it came to him. He lifted his hands, the flames wild and proud, and flicked his wrists upward in a fluid movement. Air rushed through his rounded lips, and the obedient fire left his hands, slave to its owner. Fire flecks rained down all around him, spreading far, burning slow. Just like that, the air around them thronged with giddy petals of flame, flared to incandescence.

 

Kyungsoo admired the ethereal scene before him, watching darkness chase relentlessly after the fulgent flecks. And he waited.

 

The fire flecks painted the outline of Jongin, a silhouette of his own will. He was standing right before Kyungsoo, and when the darkness slithered away from him, bringing along the dimming ashes, they were face to face.

 

The close proximity had been completely unexpected, leaving Kyungsoo stunned and at a total loss of what to do. He endeavoured to speak, but his mind was clouded, and Jongin looked so very handsome. The look of pure wonder suited him well. Then a miracle in the form of a small smile extended across his face.

 

Kyungsoo thought the flames were gone, but he was wrong. There was still one more, the brightest one, right in his heart. Jongin’s warm breath splayed across his face when he took a bold step closer, one hand reaching up for his equally warm cheek. Jongin was smiling. He couldn’t help it. Jongin looked dazzling.

 

“Found you,” Kyungsoo whispered, with only a moment to wonder if he was really talking about himself instead when his lips found their way to Jongin’s. His lips were softer than Kyungsoo had imagined them to be, and not cold, not at all. They were so incredibly warm, Kyungsoo felt rejuvenated from just one taste. He kept his lips pressed against Jongin’s, not daring to progress beyond basic contact, and hoped Jongin would respond. It felt like he was kissing fire. The air around them stirred and Kyungsoo’s hand fell to his side, forcing himself to back off. He felt like a moth drawn to a flame.

 

He had expected Jongin to wrap him up in darkness, but all that happened was darkness swirling around them in tangled vines. Jongin had seemingly no interest in doing that.

 

“When…?”

 

The ellipsis was easy to fill in. Kyungsoo in his bottom lip.

 

“I don’t know. It just felt natural to do that.” His gaze turned apologetic. “I’m sorry. Did you dislike that?”

 

It came as a surprise when Jongin’s eyes fell shut.

 

“I didn’t dislike it,” he said.

 

That was not the same as liking it. Kyungsoo allowed his self-control to spiral free long enough for him to lean forward and kiss Jongin’s lips again, just lightly, before drawing back and taking a few steps away. Staying too close would mean losing himself. He had to make a hasty retreat.

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” he confirmed, and took Jongin’s silence as consent.

 

His notes were long forgotten as he his heels and fled, the realization of what he had just done sinking in, painting his face scarlet. How did they go from simply chilling around each other to kissing?

 

Kyungsoo’s fingers were pressed against his lips when the escalator door shielded him from the sight of Jongin’s door. He hadn’t expected he would do that, but he didn’t regret it. No, not at all. A small smile graced his face, very similar to the one that had been on Jongin’s face.

 

It was strange that kissing Jongin was such an instinctive move, and one that felt so natural and good, and Kyungsoo couldn’t be bothered to solve the mechanics behind that. He remained in a daze the rest of his way home, Jongin’s smiling face carved into the back of his eyelids.

 

-

 

There were only two things on Kyungsoo’s mind when he left the campus with his backpack slung over one shoulder and the sleeves of his sweater rolled up. The diffused light from the setting sun revealed the vexation on his face, a man who was only half-aware of whatever was happening around him. Autopilot guided him to a place he had found more than just a home in and Jongin’s familiar door was a treat to his weary mind as the elevator door pulled open with a ding.

 

He paused, footsteps faltering before they picked up pace again and he knocked on the door without really knowing what he was doing. He had promised they would see each other again today, and since Jongin had not made the first move, the responsibility fell on him.

 

He was still lost in thought when the door swung open with a creak that had started to sound like welcome since a while back. The first thing that really registered was Jongin’s turquoise T-shirt. The black sweatpants remained, but he had replaced his usual all-black outfit with a dash of blue, and he looked so very handsome. Kyungsoo admired him as subtly as he could, taking in the stark contrast of his tan skin against the vitality of the blue. His eyes were dark as usual, but they had since lost their iciness — or Kyungsoo had gotten used to them and they no longer kept him away.

 

“Hi,” he greeted Jongin breathlessly, unsure of what he was expecting in return. Maybe a greeting as well, but never in his wildest dreams would he expect the small smile Jongin offered. His corners of his lips quirked upwards into a modest smile that sent Kyungsoo’s heart into fits of palpitation.

 

“Come in,” invited Jongin with the same smile and Kyungsoo complied. He stepped past Jongin into the apartment and last night came rushing back into his mind. Governed by boldness, he had made his feelings plain and clear to the very man standing just one step away from him. But that very surge of boldness was nowhere in sight today and a very meek Kyungsoo stood awkwardly in the middle of the living room, unsure of his next step. Jongin didn’t seem mad, so he wasn’t sent into a state of anxiety. Yet, he desperately wanted to know what Jongin thought of all that, and if they could progress any further.

 

Confessions of love threatened to spill from his lips, only he had not the same courage today and it didn’t seem like a very appropriate move right now, especially when the atmosphere was slightly awkward. He clutched at the sling of his backpack and bit down on his lip, waiting and hoping Jongin would say something first.

 

He did.

 

“Was school… fine today?”

 

Kyungsoo felt him shuffle closer, but he was momentarily paralyzed and unable to meet his gaze.

 

“It was okay. Just normal.”

 

“I see.”

 

Jongin was standing before him now.  Kyungsoo kept his head bowed slightly. There was something he wanted to say, but doubted the appropriateness of those words.

 

“Kyungsoo—“

 

His head snapped up a little too quickly in response, coming face to face with those dark eyes. He couldn’t keep it anymore.

 

“You look good in that shirt” and “I want to drink from you” were blurted out from two different people at the same time, and they left each other slightly stunned.

 

Jongin smiled again. Kyungsoo was really getting used to the small doses of beauty Jongin offered him every now and then. Like heroin. He was getting hooked.

 

“Thanks,” said Jongin. “I just grabbed a random shirt today and it turned out to be this. Thought it’d be nice for a change anyway.”

 

Kyungsoo didn’t want to question the validity of that statement although he felt it must have been a deliberate move (and deep down, he hoped he was the reason why Jongin’s world was starting to explode in colours). His palm was hot against his nape, awkward.

 

“Uh, you can drink if you want to.” Then he glanced around him. “Here?”

 

They had done this a couple more times after the first, and they used to do it in complete silence. But something had changed since last night and they couldn’t remain on the same path they were on anymore, and Kyungsoo was finding it a tad too difficult to figure out how he was supposed to behave around Jongin now.

 

Jongin seemed the less awkward one. He shrugged. “It’s up to you.”

 

Kyungsoo ended up on the couch, certain his legs would crumble in response to any physical contact with Jongin. He tilted his head, tugging at the collar of his sweater to expose enough skin for Jongin to sink his fangs into. This was something he was used to doing and there was no novelty in it until Jongin settled down beside him, their legs pressed together.

 

“Ready,” declared Kyungsoo in a shaky voice. He was thinking about the blood bags Jongin would offer him every now and then, the human blood that had been sustaining their thirst, and felt a sharp flare of pride in knowing there was nothing that tasted better to Jongin than his blood. It was what only Kyungsoo alone could offer.

 

Jongin twisted his neck and leaned in, and now Kyungsoo was thinking about the kiss from yesterday night and how his lips had felt like fire, like what he had embraced his entire life. Jongin was so close, he could see the tangle of his midnight lashes, and there was no way to breathe. Then he leaned into his neck and there was a dull and barely noticeable pain before his blood was flowing into Jongin’s mouth.

 

There was no other contact besides Jongin’s mouth on his neck, but Kyungsoo could feel everything else too deeply. His own eyes glowed, lightening into a mystical gray he couldn’t help, hyper aware of Jongin’s presence all around him. He listened dimly to the sound of his own blood flowing into Jongin’s mouth and the thudding of his heart in sync with Jongin’s. His hands fluttered, wanting to reach out and touch Jongin’s warm skin. The world shrunk, encapsulating only the two of them.

 

This reaction was nothing Kyungsoo had ever experienced before, even though he had to admit it always felt good when Jongin drank from him because of his feelings for him, but this much of a reaction was a first. He forced his fingers into fists, keeping them anchored to the couch. As much as he wanted to, there was no knowing what Jongin felt for him at the moment and it was better to appreciate whatever they had now instead of constantly trying to push further. This greed was dangerous. Kyungsoo couldn’t quite recall when he went from wanting Jongin to not hate him to wanting him to love him and need him as much as he did.

 

He was almost drowning in these thoughts until Jongin lifted his leg and straddled Kyungsoo in one move. The angle was much better, and his fingers curled around Kyungsoo’s arms. Kyungsoo’s heart went into hysteria and he gasped. His own thirst was on fire, driven by his urges. It made him a little ashamed, having finished one blood bag just this morning. But something in Jongin kept calling and he couldn’t fight well.

 

He was desperate.

 

“Jongin…” was moaned hoarsely.

 

He felt too much of Jongin with their bodies pressed together and his own feelings uncontained. He was getting so ; it was like a snowball that was growing bigger and bigger as it continued to roll down a snow capped mountain. Too quickly. Moving all too quickly. A distant voice from a lifetime ago floated back to him. You should try it for yourself one day, Kyungsoo. He had waited this long to finally understand what Baekhyun had meant about the wonders a mate could make you feel, the crazy addictiveness a pureblood possessed.

 

His eyes were the lightest they had ever been and he was staring at the ceiling, his vision blurring. Then it happened. The light-bulb shattered and burst into flames, and there were only two things Kyungsoo could understand. The first one was that Jongin had stopped drinking from him, pulling back to regard Kyungsoo, and the second was he had to put out the flames.

 

The sun had set completely and night had kicked in when they came back to their senses and Jongin made his move before Kyungsoo did. Without even turning away from Kyungsoo, he used the darkness to smother the flames. It worked. Kyungsoo’s labored breathing showed some signs of returning to normal then, but he was still out of control.

 

“,” muttered Jongin under his breath as he cupped Kyungsoo’s face and took in his glowing eyes. He should have been more careful. He grabbed the hem of Kyungsoo’s sweater and forced him out of it, tossing it aside carelessly as he studied his Mark. The half-crescent, half-flame Mark was also glowing, albeit only slightly in comparison to his eyes. This much of a reaction from Kyungsoo was definitely because of his Mark. It was something beyond Jongin’s explanation, but the intimateness of their relationship was not one either of them could escape from. Jongin was tied to Kyungsoo, just as Kyungsoo could not gravitate towards anyone else but him.

 

He could not provide an explanation for whatever was going on because he had never known it possible for such a Mark to be born and complete Kyungsoo’s Change. There wasn’t anyone’s advice he could seek either, so Jongin could only stare deeply into Kyungsoo’s eyes and leave everything else to his instincts.

 

“You need to calm down,” he said, and it seemed to have a small effect as Kyungsoo’s breath grew a tiny bit steadier. His neck was still bleeding. Jongin had forgotten to seal his bite wounds when the sudden bursting of his light-bulb stole his attention, and he cursed himself internally, pressing two fingers against the wounds. He kept his other hand on Kyungsoo’s face.

 

Not knowing what else to do would be his excuse to Kyungsoo if he decided to pursue the matter, but in fact Jongin was really drawn into the light in Kyungsoo’s eyes when he leaned in, his lips colliding with Kyungsoo’s. He heard a small gasp and was not interested in figuring out who it came from. Their lips were like fire when they came together, and for a moment Jongin worried that Kyungsoo would lose control and set everything around him on fire, but his breathing steadied even more and he kissed him with growing ease.

 

Kyungsoo’s lips parted ever so slightly and there was a brief hesitation before Jongin slipped his tongue through the gap, meeting Kyungsoo’s own tongue. Comets met in a dance, and not once did Jongin think about the lover he had left behind, only of whatever was happening now and Kyungsoo.

 

They kissed languidly, until he could no longer hear Kyungsoo’s ragged breathing and it ended with a suddenness that mirrored its beginning. Kyungsoo’s eyes were amber again, no longer gray. Jongin exhaled a sigh of relief and knocked his forehead into Kyungsoo’s.

 

“God, you had me so worried.”

 

Kyungsoo didn’t respond. He was still in shock. All he knew was losing himself when Jongin started drinking from him, and feeling like he would explode into flames before he found himself locked in a kiss with Jongin and it brought him back down to earth, to where he belonged.

 

They remained like that for a while, their foreheads joined, and the night grew increasingly colder. Kyungsoo’s eyes were b with bewilderment, and there were at least a million questions he wanted to ask, but didn’t know how to. Jongin, meanwhile, took his time wondering why he had reacted by kissing Kyungsoo. Sure, at that moment it felt like it would help, but he had felt something in him come alive when their lips met. He had gotten a taste of that last night, but tonight, it was everything.

 

He tried to conjure the memory of his deceased lover but it wouldn’t come. Kyungsoo’s breathing proved to be too much of a distraction and Jongin gave up. He drew away, his elbows resting against Kyungsoo’s bare shoulders, feeling his skin burn right through him. It didn’t burn the way it did the night his Change was fulfilled, but a nice temperate kind of warmth that rushed right into his heart.

 

“I’m sorry,” Kyungsoo whispered in a small voice.

 

Jongin shook his head. His gaze landed on the dried blood stains on Kyungsoo’s neck and then back on his face. His eyes were wide open, and Jongin’s heart ached.

 

“I’m not,” he replied.


The relief that consumed Kyungsoo there and then was palpable, made obvious through the smile that bloomed on his face. His arms remained limp by his sides, but he could feel Jongin’s on him and that was all that he needed. He made his confession.

 

“I like you.”

 

Jongin waited for the guilt to come, but it never did.

 

“I don’t mind that,” he said, and their smiles were so identical there was no knowing where they started, much less where they ended.

 

-

 

“Do you want something from that?”

 

“Huh?”

 

Chanyeol’s brown eyes were filled with concern when Kyungsoo gave him the attention he deserved. A sharp pang of guilt threatened to flood his entire being. Thoughts of Jongin had him submerged in a place unreachable to anyone else.

 

“Are you okay? Seems like you’ve got a lot on your mind right now.”

 

Kyungsoo smiled bashfully, looking past Chanyeol and at the illuminated claw crane machine. “That machine?”

 

Chanyeol’s intense gaze never left him. It could get really overwhelming at times, but Kyungsoo pretty much assumed that was just how Chanyeol was.

 

“Yeah,” said Chanyeol with a grin. “I’m really good with those machines. I can get you anything you want.”

 

Kyungsoo sighed inwardly as he walked towards the claw machine, eyes quickly raking through the stuffed animals that sat waiting behind the glass surface. Apparently a meal with Chanyeol also included doing things after the meal itself. They shopped, talked, and spent a large portion of the night together. It wasn’t that Kyungsoo harboured any ill feelings towards Chanyeol. In fact, he rather liked him as a friend. But he had too much of Jongin on his mind right now to enjoy spending time with anyone else.

 

He decided on a stuffed puppy with brown fur and black marble eyes. “That one,” he told Chanyeol.

 

Thankful for the opportunity to exhibit his skills, Chanyeol wasted no time in producing a coin and slotting it into the machine. A cheery blast of music signaled its activation and Chanyeol’s lower lip was trapped beneath his teeth in concentration as he maneuvered the claw towards the puppy. Kyungsoo’s eyes followed the movement of the crane, his arms crossed. The longer he stared, the more the stuffed puppy resembled Jongin.

 

It was definitely the eyes.

 

Kyungsoo’s interest was suddenly sparked. He watched excitedly as Chanyeol hit the push button and the claw plunged down. It caught the stuffed puppy loosely and Kyungsoo’s eyes were wide as it embarked on a journey towards the drop hole.

 

They were united in anticipation until the stuffed puppy successfully fell into the opening and Chanyeol bent down to retrieve it. He presented it to Kyungsoo with a disarming smile that might have charmed Kyungsoo sufficiently had he not a certain someone in his mind at this moment.

 

“I hope you like it,” Chanyeol added when Kyungsoo received the stuffed puppy with both hands, already thinking of how he would give it to Jongin.

 

“I do,” confirmed Kyungsoo.

 

It was nearing 11pm and the streets were mostly empty with most shops closed for the night. The streetlamps showered soft light upon them and it was guilt Kyungsoo felt when he looked into Chanyeol’s earnest and sincere eyes.

 

“I think it’s time we head home.”

 

It seemed Chanyeol had wanted to hang out longer as the sincerity in his eyes melted into disappointment. He bit down on his lip and Kyungsoo’s guilt ten-folded.

 

“Let’s do this again when Joonmyun’s free,” added Kyungsoo in hope of some redemption.

 

Chanyeol examined his face for a little too long and the air around them grew awkward when he muttered his agreement. “Okay, let’s go home.”

 

They lived in the same vicinity and Chanyeol’s offer to walk him home was one Kyungsoo couldn’t bring himself to reject, so they turned their backs to the claw machine and started towards home with a new stuffed puppy clutched in Kyungsoo’s hand.

 

Conversation was rather sparse as they made the 15 minute trip home. They chatted a little about school and how much of a pity it was that Joonmyun wasn’t free to join them today. The last part involved Chanyeol insisting on sending Kyungsoo all the way to his doorstep and Kyungsoo relented at last, worn out. So that was exactly what they did, and Kyungsoo thought that would be the end of it until the elevator doors pulled open and a familiar face greeted him.

 

“Jongin?”

 

Jongin’s gaze swung from him to Chanyeol, then back to him again. There was just enough time for the surprise on his face to materialize before the mask of coldness returned.

 

“You left your notes at my apartment. I just thought I’d swing by and drop them off.”

 

He stepped aside to allow the two of them to step out from the elevator and the ding of the elevator door shutting resounded in an air of awkward tension.

 

Kyungsoo looked past Jongin’s shoulder and sure enough, there was a stack of notes beside his door.

 

“I was out for dinner with Chanyeol. Did you just arrive?”

 

Jongin’s gaze flickered towards Chanyeol again.

 

“I waited for a while,” he muttered, deliberately vague.

 

The stuffed puppy was the only source of comfort to Kyungsoo as he eyed Chanyeol. The auburn-haired male looked plain confused. Of course he would. The implication of some kind of ambiguity in their relationship was pristine clear in Jongin’s words and it wasn’t a wonder that Chanyeol was muddled when he had never seen the two of them together.

 

“I should go,” Chanyeol said in a husky voice, taking a final look at Kyungsoo before he made his escape into the elevator.

 

The silence the remaining two lapsed into was by no means comfortable. It was awkward and tense and Kyungsoo felt like . When Jongin spoke, it was to indicate his wish to leave too.

 

Usually Kyungsoo would go along with whatever Jongin wanted to do, except this time. He reached out and grabbed Jongin’s wrist as the taller male turned away, the other hand still holding tightly to the stuffed puppy. His explanation was scorching hot on his tongue; he had to let Jongin know.

 

“Jongin, listen. We really just went out for a meal and walked around for a bit and he insisted on sending me home, that’s all. Chanyeol is nothing more than a friend. There was someone else who was supposed to turn up, but he wasn’t free.”

 

He kept his grip around Jongin’s wrist tight, hoping Jongin could feel how much Kyungsoo wanted him to stay.

 

“We’re not...dating, you know?” Jongin said tentatively when he angled his neck to regard Kyungsoo with those dark eyes. “You’re free to do whatever you want. You don’t owe me an explanation.”

 

Kyungsoo almost pulled his hair out in frustration. How come Jongin didn’t understand him at all when his all of his cards were laid before him— he would never know.

 

“I know we’re not dating, and that’s not why I wanted to tell you. I’m telling you this because I like you, Jongin. I’m already yours regardless of how you feel towards me. I don’t want you to misunderstand anything simply because I like you, and that’s all there is to it.”

 

Jongin showed no reaction to his suave confession for the first couple of seconds. His reaction was physical when he did, pushing Kyungsoo against the wall. Kyungsoo nearly dropped his stuffed puppy in shock.

 

“I’m not easy to deal with,” said Jongin. They were so incredibly close. His arms remained by his sides, not relying on physical contact to pin Kyungsoo in place.

 

It took Kyungsoo a while to realize that was a warning, a sort of preamble to what it would be like staying true to his confession.

 

“I’ll work very hard,” Kyungsoo promised.

 

Jongin’s appearance shattered any chances of living like a human, yet now that they weren’t using any of their abilities, Kyungsoo thought this was the most human he could ever experience. His eyes trailed down to Jongin’s lips. Did he have enough courage to taste them again? To feel them pressed against his own and hold Jongin in his arms would be a fatal overdose but he couldn’t care less. He never wanted to kick this addiction.

 

The stuffed puppy drew his attention away from thoughts of kissing Jongin and he lifted it, shaking it before Jongin’s face.

 

“This sort of reminds me of you so I thought I’d give it to you.”

 

Jongin stepped backwards so he could look at the puppy from a comfortable distance.

 

“What on earth is that?”

 

Kyungsoo laughed. “It’s a stuffed puppy from the claw machine.”

 

Jongin continued observing the object dangling from Kyungsoo’s hand. His eyes narrowed at the recollection of something or someone.

 

“Was he the one who won it?”

 

Oops. Kyungsoo swallowed dryly.

 

“Yeah. It’s fine then, I’ll just throw it away or something.”

 

“Keep it,” said Jongin as his expression eased. He shook his head and took another step away from Kyungsoo, much to his dismay. “It’s rude to throw away something someone gave to you.”

 

The stuffed puppy seemed to be echoing Jongin’s sentiments reproachfully when Kyungsoo glanced at it. He nodded obediently.

 

Jongin turned his back to Kyungsoo again but the same feeling of dread didn’t hit him this time.

 

“Give it to me when you win one yourself.”

 

A grin bloomed across Kyungsoo’s face as he stared after Jongin’s receding back. This was quite possibly the best night of his life (or the first of many to come).

 

-

 

The pale tint of orange spread evenly across the sky, signaling sunset. It was the most beautiful one Kyungsoo had ever laid his eyes on. He was at a standstill on a bridge he had never quite seen before, not that it really mattered right now. His hand was so small against the vast sky as he tried to reach out for it, to grab some of the ethereal beauty for himself. If he could, he would cut a small slit in the sky and let all the colours bleed into his skin until there was nothing that could ever take them away from him. The river surface beneath him was a tranquil reflection of the town he was in. A sense of familiarity was starting to creep in. It seemed like he had been here before a lifetime ago.

 

His hand fell away from the sky, onto his chest instead, the sudden thought catching him off-guard. He grabbed his collar and lifted it, until his bare chest was visible to him. The skin appeared almost porcelain, smooth and unmarked.

 

A gasp stole his breath and he took a step back in shock. The sky had bled right through itself when Kyungsoo looked away from his chest. It was crimson, and the town was crimson, all its little building and streetlamps and cobblestones. Yet, the world in the river remained unchanged, a plateau of the gorgeous sunset he had caught earlier.

 

The siren sounded and pierced right through Kyungsoo’s ear. He winced, a sharp pain driving him to his knees as something warm and wet trickled from his ears. He didn’t need to check to know it was blood. There was no knowing whether he was human or vampire right now. His palms were pressed against his ears, but the shrill sound was persistent and Kyungsoo didn’t know if he was thinking when he straightened to full form and leapt over the railings of the bridge, diving right into the river.

 

Then darkness.

 

His eyes were open, but he saw nothing. The water was so cold around him, almost freezing. He started to kick upwards, trying to get to the surface, releasing some air bubbles at the same time. His legs thrashed wildly and his arms flailed, but no matter how hard he tried he seemed to remain exactly where he was.

 

Water filled his mouth and he gurgled, trying to look for a light he could follow.

 

A voice drifted to his ears. “Kyungsoo,” it said.

 

He turned wildly from side to side. The darkness was starting to fade into something… red? He couldn’t see anybody, only crimson all over, like the colours of the sky had leaked into the water as well. He wasn’t safe. There wasn’t anywhere safe.

 

“Kyungsoo,” the voice said again, but he couldn’t figure out where it came from. It seemed to echo all around him.

 

His supply of oxygen was running out. His patience was wearing thin. Desperation clutched him by the throat, only that it was something he seemed to have grown very used to.

 

He felt so incredibly small.

 

The water was alive around him and he stopped kicking, stopped trying to get himself to the surface. There was no surface. It was the end for him. It closed in around him, engulfing him whole, and all the fight in him had bled into the water in the same shade of red.

 

His eyes fell shut.

 

“Kyungsoo!”

 

The water recoiled with a hiss and Kyungsoo’s eyes snapped open. There was no water, no crimson sky, no ghost town. He was standing in an open field, sunset again.

 

Something warm touched his face and then everything disappeared as the real world seeped into his vision, too vivid for his liking. Jongin’s face hovered above him, his eyebrows knitted, eyes full of concern. And the feelings of disdain vanished. Primary colours were nice. They were bright and strong, like Jongin. He liked this reality.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

Kyungsoo remained silent for a few seconds, trying to recollect whatever had happened. He had decided to take a nap on Jongin’s bed when the latter left for classes and his sleep was plagued by nightmares, which wasn’t something that unusual. And now he was here. Jongin had found him. It was his voice calling out to Kyungsoo all along, and it was his touch that brought him out of terror.

 

He rubbed his eyes, smiling weakly. “Just a nightmare.”

 

Jongin examined him carefully before nodding briefly. He was still wearing his jacket, which meant he had probably just returned home. Kyungsoo’s heart skipped a little. Was coming to see Kyungsoo the first thing he did upon returning? He had barely any time to indulge in that fantasy before Jongin was wiggling out of his jacket, flinging it aside uncaringly. He flopped onto Kyungsoo, his entire body weight pinning him down to the bed.

 

“You were… battling something?” Jongin tried to ask casually, but the seriousness in his tone didn’t go unheard.

 

Kyungsoo hummed. “Something like that. I was trapped. Drowning in the river. The sky was crimson and the water became crimson too.”

 

Jongin buried his face into the crook of his neck, his arms wrapped loosely around Kyungsoo’s body.

 

“I used to have nightmares a lot too. About the fire. People dying all around me. I don’t know how many times I’ve watched him die again and again and again.”

 

Kyungsoo swept his fingers through Jongin’s hair, listening gravely.

 

“And now?”

 

Jongin raised his head so they could look at each other. He smiled.

 

“Better. I don’t get nightmares as much anymore.”

 

Kyungsoo smiled back, holding the side of Jongin’s face. He brushed his finger against his cheek.

 

“I don’t sleep as well when you’re not around,” he admitted.

 

Jongin looked almost pleased to hear that. His face plunged back into the curve of Kyungsoo’s neck. It was a warm and safe place.

 

“I’m glad we found each other,” he mumbled against his bare skin, and Kyungsoo’s heart stilled momentarily. They had progressed so much more since that night, and even though their relationship was still ambiguous now since neither of them had officially said anything about it, Kyungsoo was happy with where it was now and was certain it would only continue to grow in a direction he liked. And this now. This meant so much more than an “I love you” from Jongin.

 

He embraced Jongin tightly, feeling all his fears melt away. Jongin’s once fortified mind now had a place for him.

 

“Me too.”

 

Time halted while they laid there in perfect silence, enjoying each other’s company. The sun was setting outside the window. Kyungsoo had grown too incredibly fond of the sunset. It was what he was, halfway between the light and the darkness. Their relationship thrived on sunsets. He was soaking in bliss when Jongin chuckled.

 

“What are you laughing at?”

 

Jongin rested his weight on his elbows and slid further down Kyungsoo’s body until he could rest the side of his head on Kyungsoo’s chest.

 

“I’m just thinking how amusing it is that humans write about us as the undead when we’re here like this and your heart is beating so quickly.”

 

A tinge of pink dusted Kyungsoo’s cheeks.

 

“My heart’s not beating quickly.” As he said that, his heart throbbed and thumped a little faster.

 

Jongin laughed again, and upon hearing that, Kyungsoo’s indignance eased into happiness.

 

“There are too many things they’ll never know about us.”

 

Jongin yawned before acknowledging him.

 

“I’d prefer they never know about us.”

 

Me too, because I want you all to myself. Kyungsoo let his thoughts remain thoughts for now and continued to hold onto Jongin. There was no need to be afraid of the dark or the horror of his past as long as he was in his arms. Jongin was his lighthouse, keeping him sheltered from them all.

 

He held his arm against Jongin’s, reveling in the stark contrast. The paleness of his skin pressed so intimately against Jongin’s bronze skin; no poem could ever do it justice, no words could ever capture ambrosial beauty like that; it was art in its greatest form.

 

Two opposites, now one.

 

-

 

Taking one last look around the little apartment threatened to burst with precious memories, Kyungsoo exhaled audibly. It had only been two years since, but they were still crystal clear in his mind. It felt like just yesterday when Jongin would tangle him in darkness. He loosened his grip around his suitcase, suddenly wishing they could stay a little longer. This was a home that was warm with memories, a nest he was safe in, how could he bear to say goodbye yet?

 

Jongin’s arms encircled him from behind, his warm breath splaying across the top of his head.

 

“Can’t bear to leave?”

 

Kyungsoo placed his own hands on Jongin’s.

 

“Yeah,” he admitted.

 

“We can stay a little longer if you want to.”

 

Kyungsoo mulled over his words, rolling them over and back again. He unhooked Jongin’s interlocked fingers and broke free of his grip so he could turn around and look at him. He didn’t need a painting of the sunset when he had it right in his arms. This safe nest was embodied in Jongin. He would have it everywhere he went as long as they were together. And they would always be.

 

“It’s fine. You’re all I need.”

 

Jongin winked at him while he adjusted the scarf snug around Kyungsoo’s neck. He had gotten so good at taking care of someone else.

 

“Are you sure you won’t regret it? We really can afford to stay for a few more months.”

 

Kyungsoo jabbed him lightly in the ribs. He knew very well they could, but it wasn’t a worthy risk. In the early days, when they were still without each other, they moved from town to town frequently, hiding from the hunters. Kyungsoo didn’t know when he had managed to shake them off his trail, but he wasn’t going to risk having any of them catch up with him, especially not now that he had found someone he would rather die than lose.

 

“Let’s go, gramps.”

 

He grabbed his suitcase with one hand and a trunk with the other, heading for the door. Jongin followed after him with light footsteps. Little snowflakes met them when they stepped out into the cold, a charming welcome into the outside world that still held many undiscovered wonders. Kyungsoo tilted his head back and was met with the sight of millions of them falling freely from a velvety dark sky, each one iridescent. His breath was misty, but his heart was warm. He could watch them fall forever, if only there wasn’t someone who was patiently waiting for him.

 

Jongin glanced at his watch, most of his attention fixed on Kyungsoo. He used to think he would never meet anyone else who looked so good against the night sky again, but here Kyungsoo was. The things Jongin used to think as absolute all sounded inane to him now. He waited for Kyungsoo to fix those dazzling amber eyes on him again, but right now, he was at a losing end.

 

“Where are we going?” Kyungsoo asked, his eyes still directed towards heaven.

 

There was a thump as Jongin’s trunk met the snow-covered ground. He reached out and took Kyungsoo’s wrist gingerly, until Kyungsoo got the hint and his trunk followed suit with a similar thump. He didn’t mind not being the prime object of his attention right now as long as Kyungsoo was still willing to look away from heaven and at him. Their hands found each other smoothly, fingers interlaced. This was how Jongin intended to travel for the rest of forever. He had once been reluctant to fall, but once he started, there was no way out. The only way was in. No easy love could ever make him feel the same. They didn’t need gloves, not when Kyungsoo’s palm was sufficiently warm against Jongin’s. He didn’t need to use his gift for their love was the greatest one of all, and it would kept them warm for an unimaginably long time.  Alone, Kyungsoo was an incandescent flame, almost as bright as the sun. Together, they could set the world on fire.

 

And nothing was holding them back right now.

 

Jongin’s voice was gentle.

 

“We have forever to find out,” he said.



 

FIN.