Chapter 1

Episode 46

 

I didn’t know what was wrong with me. I turned, avoiding her glazed. She was too focus with her fear to notice my discomfort.

Initially, I was really excited for this ride. I love height, it make me feel like I was at the top of the world. Joy, however, was the total opposite. I can’t believe it. The girl that was fearless at everything is not complaining like a child as we buckled our seatbelts, getting ready to be sent up more than fifty meters off the ground.

I usually enjoyed seeing that side of her. It make me feel comfortable, like she can rely on me in situations like this. That’s how our relationship has always been. She is good at one thing while I am good at another. We fit each other well, like a batter fitting into a mold perfect, filling up all its gaps.

We were at an amusement park and was about to ride the Gyro Drop. I dragged her along with me and was having a really good time teasing her as she puffed up her face. Yet, she had to ruin my mood by mentioning about the guys she liked in middle school. Like, seriously, who cares? I didn’t. Why did she have so much crushes anyway? Didn’t she said she liked me? Am I just another one of her crushes as well?

I felt so frustrated. Not because I was jealous, but because I was baffled. For today filming, she took me to her old high school and we even played basketball together. Everything was good. I liked these kind of days the most, where we could just do whatever we wants without the production team adding scripted lines and events for us.

But I didn’t feel so good at that moment. When she brings up about her past love interests, I didn’t know why but I feel so irritated, I couldn’t controlled my facial expression. To the point that I can’t even look at her in the eyes. I was too absorbed with my confused emotions, and I thought she was too because of her fear of height.

The next thing I knew, my lips automatically curved into a half-moon. The tickling warmth of her fingers reaches my hands and I unconsciously intertwined her fingers with mine. I felt my lips raised so high that it could reach my under eyes; to the point that I almost let out a chuckled. The mystery feeling that I was having before faded away in an instant. I turned to the worried girl beside me and reassured her that everything will be okay.

That’s how it’s always been with her even since the beginning. The show would give us specific “missions” every now and then to help us progress and make our relationship more interesting for the viewers. However, she always managed to throw in a curveball at almost every situations to make me wonder every times how unique this girl could be.

Like when we are at the basketball court earlier today. I am really bad at basketball, it’s just not my thing, but being with her make it more enjoyable than I have anticipated. Sure, I can’t even count how many guys she mentioned today, but it was still fun spending time with her. She’s too oblivious and was trying so hard to make me jealous that she didn’t even realize the hints I gave her.

When we were at the court, she asked me how I would behavior toward girls that tries to approach me, and we acted out the scenario. I told her I placed an iron wall around me to block out the girls, and that was the truth. I even said that the girls need to be on my waitlist first, and that out of all of them she is the sixth on the list. I thought she would have caught it, but instead I was labeled as a bad boy. To me everything number six is life. Even my last name, Yook, mean six in Korean. My life began with six and it will end in six, or at least that’s how special the number meant to me.

Even on our first meeting, I said the exactly same thing about my iron wall. In all honesty, it’s not that I don’t know that I am good looking, it’s just that I have a hard time getting along well with girls. They can be so troublesome. I mean, I know not all girls are like that, but the one that I met so far tend to always gave me that impression. That’s why I’m more comfortable with the guys and my band members. Also, that is the main reason why I prefer noona.

After minutes of waiting, we were finally lifted up into the air. Joy continued to hold on to my hand like a little kid, and started counting from 1 to 10. I was in high spirited, but she was too scared to even open her eyes. I wanted to ease her fear.

“Joy, you should enjoy the view. You should make a wish.” I wondered what her response will be. She’s always good at doing and saying things unexpectedly, so I was prepared for her answer. Or, at least I thought I did.

“Oppa, I love you.” Not only did she managed to open her eyes and look at me while saying those words, but she also made my heart stopped for a split second. I hold in a smile and try to act cool as I gave her a response. The next thing I knew we were dropped straight to the ground. During the drop, I couldn’t get her words out of my head to fully focus on the ride.  

“Joy, you are actually not scared but trying to act girly because you are here with me right?” I have to know why she suddenly said those three words to me. Did she really meant it? Was it at the heat of the moment or did she planned it out all along? Before, when we went on the roller coaster ride for our wedding ceremony, she wasn’t like this at all. She was fearless.

“I’m not pretending. I really can’t take Gyro Drop.”

“Then what can you take?”

“I can take roller coasters.”

“You…. I really can’t seem to figure you out.” Even though I really meant what I said, Joy just ignored my statement and went back to counting.

“Is it over now?” Joy asked when the machine hit a stop.

“I think you were pretending to be scared.”

“I’m not kidding. I really had a terrible time back in my first year in middle school.” Joy refuted.

“You aren’t kidding? Fine, you must be really happy then because you have so much memories.” I even though my inside burned a bit.

We went on several more rides afterward. During the rides, we joked around like kids, but that nagging feeling inside me just won’t go away.

“You know, an amusement park gets way more fun if you come with a handsome guy.” I proclaimed to Joy.

Once again, she didn’t answered me but giggled silently to herself. I want to know what she was thinking. Was she thinking about me or her crushes? Why am I even doing this? If I was really that curious about her past relationships, why can’t I just ask her directly?

I then suggested that we ride the Viking. It was one of my favorite and I wanted more skinship with her. However, instead of skinship, I just got myself a good laugh. Her facial expressions was just too hilarious and amusing. Even though we didn’t have any interaction during the ride, I was satisfied with just seeing how original and adorable she was.

I knew that the program was ending soon, and I think Joy did too. It hasn’t been officially announced yet, but the two of us has been on the show for a fair amount of time now. Our deadline was approaching soon, rather I like it or not. We have to make way for the new couples that are joining the show. I wasn’t too hung up on it though. Joy and I are good friend, and just because the show ended, doesn’t mean our friendship will. At least that’s what I had thought at the time.

 


 

Sorry, the first two chapters are just recaps. I wrote in Sungjae’s perspective and I will do so for Joy in the next chapter. I apologize for my terrible grammars. I just wrote in an instant without planning at all ahead.

Their conversations are taken from the show. It is not of my own work and I take no credit for it.