Chapter 1

Help Me, Stranger

Cr4hbLWVUAAbx9G.jpg:large

 

God, I hate rainy days.

The pitter-pattering of water droplets splattering on the pavement along with the scurrying of worn-out soles annoyed me to no end. Rolling my eyes, I pulled my hood up and let my thoughts overwhelm me, as I sat in that quiet corner in class.

This is how I pass my time in school. Maybe not in the past, but that's how I do it now. School used to be fun for me, a form of making friends and exchanging pleasantries, but it all went downhill when I made the worst mistake of trusting a person who should never be trusted. Now, school was... different. Different as in, hellish, downright torture. And these days, all I do is reminisce about the old days when I sit in class. The better days.

 


 

"Hey sweetheart, would you mind passing me that book over there? It's on that shelf right by your seat," came a voice that was surprisingly soothing. The old me back then was outgoing, easy to talk to, friendly. I was known as the girl who was friends with everyone. I made jokes to cheer people up, I'd do anything to make others happy, even though I was compromising my own happiness, but at that time, I didn't know it yet. So when I heard a new voice that seemed to be directed at me, I was filled with curiosity, eye twitching a little at his pet name. Sweetheart? Did he want me to tell him that it wasn't polite to give someone a pet name when you've just met? I looked up, ready to go on a long rant about pet names but the words got caught in my throat as I laid my eyes on him. He had his hair pulled back beneath a black cap, but the intensity of his gaze didn't falter the slightest bit. His eyes twinkled beneath the dim light, like a gem sparkling in the moonlight, as he looked right into my eyes, head cocked to the side ever so slightly.

"Sweetheart? Anybody home?" he added, this time chuckling a little, as he took in my astonished expression. I didn't miss how his lips seemed to curve into a smirk, showcasing his obvious amusement at my reaction. God... what was wrong with me? I snapped myself out of it.

"Sweetheart my ... don't call a girl by a pet name when it's the first time you meet." There, I got the words out, hallelujah. Reaching over to the bookshelf, I picked up the book he was pointing at and held it out towards him. 

"Huh, Jongin was wrong, girls hate being called pet names. I knew it! That always claims he's a dating expert but look what happened... Oh sorry... Um..." he quickly muttered incoherently under his breath as he reached out for the book in my hand. "My friend, Jongin - you might know him, he's pretty well-known here.. at least that's what he said - told me that girls love pet names and it just came out naturally.. Ah I'm rambling again but thank you and sorry," he added, one hand rubbing his nape sheepishly. I felt myself smiling involuntarily at how innocent he seemed to be at that moment, when he was acting all suave a minute ago. Cute. 

"It's alright, been a while since I met someone in this library other than the grumpy pal sitting by the front desk anyway. Did you know he hates it when people ask him for help? Gosh, why'd he even take up this job if he didn't want to tend to others..." This seemed to amuse him even further, as his smile widened and he leaned against the table, sitting on it slightly. "Oh yea, your friend's Jongin?"

"Yea, I got that from him the moment I walked in. Man, I really thought about abandoning the book, but I really need it... Although I don't think it's worth risking my life and coming into this library. But hey! I wouldn't have known that people actually still come here, someone as normal as you, honestly. Anyway, my name's Baekhyun, Byun Baekhyun. I just transferred here, so you probably wouldn't have seen me around, but you'll see me a lot more. My friend's Kim Jongin, that ugly snob who told me... Aish never mind," he introduced himself. I introduced myself back.

He pulled out the chair opposite me and sat down, book in hand. That half-smirk smile was still gracing his lips as he started on his next sentence. "So... nice to meet you. Second year, huh?" He asked, peering over my book at one of my assignments. I nodded. "Me too. Guess we'd be seeing each other prett- ah, wait a minute, I have to take this call." He stood up and answered his ringing cell. My gaze followed him as he started pacing around slightly, a slight furrow between his brows as he became more engaged in his call, a frown appearing on his face. 

Just then, he walked back to my table and lowered his phone. 

"Hey, I have to leave now. I'll see you around campus? Bye!" Before I could even reply, he scurried away, leaving me to stare at his retreating figure. 

Byun Baekhyun... he's interesting. 

 

 

 

 

 


Author's Note:

Sorry for taking such a long time to upload a chapter!

It completely slipped my mind that I had this story, I have been too caught up in schoolwork and exams. Hopefully, I will be updating a lot more regularly now. Thank you for taking time to read this! Please do leave comments and feedback on improvements I can make!