Chapter One

Symphony for Second Male Leads
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

     Nothing happens unless first you dream. - Carl Sandburg

 

     When Kim Jung-hwan's eyes opened, the sparse room he woke up in didn't register as strange. In fact, it didn't occur to him that he wasn't in his own bedroom. He stared  at the wooden door in front of him from the mattress where he lay for an oblivious moment or two - until he turned his head to the right and realized there was a man sleeping next to him. Fair, sharp nose, messy hair with honey highlights. Stranger still, this didn't faze Jung-hwan at all, and was about to drift back to sleep when the door opened. 

     "Good morning." A man wearing glasses in a light-blue button-up shirt and gray pants came in. He gave a quick tight smile. "How are we feeling?" 

     Jung-hwan propped his torso up with his elbows. 

     "We have to go to work," he continued. 

     "I know you." Jung-hwan's voice came out husky. He was trying to remember the man's name but for some reason he couldn't. 

     "Well, do you know who you are?"

     Jung-hwan's mind went blank.  

     The man gave an impatient sigh. "Jung-hwan ssi!" Automatically, he replied, "Yes, sunsengnim" and then everything clicked to place.  "Chae Eun-seok.  Paksanim."

     "Yes, DOK-TOR, and a doctor who's going to be late if we don't leave in 10 minutes. Get up. Both of you!." Then he slammed the door shut on his way out.

      The man next to Jung-hwan already had a pillow over his head. Jung-hwan gave him a few seconds before he nudged the pillow. "Seo-joon ah...yah...Seo-joon. 

     "Stop bothering me or I'll kill you." Seo-joon muttered underneath the pillow. 

     "Go sleep in your own room then." Jung-hwan was starting to get a headache, his throat was parched, and his stomach was shouting for carbohydrates. He got up and headed to the door.  "Mmmm, sulguk. I hope there's enough for me."

     As soon as Jung-hwan was out the door, Seo-joon sat up his hair all mussed up, "Aaiiish! That bastard. " 

 

 

     "Wooow. I'm the one who made us breakfast, and I'm still the one who's driving." Eun-seok drily commented as he turned the wheel. 

     "I''m sorry," Jung-hwan said absent-mindedly riding shotgun. Seo-joon's music school was the opposite direction of the hospital so it was just him and the doctor. He couldn't shake the nagging feeling from this morning. He felt he dreamt something important, but he couldn't remember what it was.   

     "Is everything alright? You and Seo-joon went all out last night. Still, you shouldn't have drank so much the night before your first day." That must be it.

Please log in to read the full chapter