Sailing 0805

Sailing into the night

With trembling hands, she slowly opened the door, the coldness of the metal clung upon her skin. 

She was afraid that the same old scene will welcome her again.

And she was right. 

The dorm was deafeningly quiet, except for the little creaks of her movements. She saw the dark and empty room, which was once filled with noise, a beautiful noise, a noise that she missed. Terribly. 

Sitting down on the luxurious couch, she stared at the huge photo hanging on the wall. It was them. The nine of them, more than six years ago. When they were not as popular as right now. When they were still young with flying dreams. When they were still afraid and clueless of what might happen to them. When life was simpler. 

She remembered coming home after a tiring day, the nine of them almost collapsing out of exhaustion once they entered the door. There were those who would go straight to the kitchen to finish their food supplies. Those who would fall asleep right away on the couch. Those who would just watch TV or play video games. Those who would go straight to the bathroom. All of those loud chatters, laughs, banters, and blabbers about nonsense things, she missed them. 

The windows were covered with thick mist from the cold outside. It was winter. And Taeyeon's heart was feeling the same. 

Her phone suddenly beeped, echoing through the cold walls of the dorm. It was their manager, confirming their schedules for the coming week. She sighed as she was used to it. She didn't know whether it's a good thing or not. 

A six-year-old memory suddenly came into her mind, when their manager confirmed their first event. Their ear-wide grins brightened up the day. Some squealed, some jumped, some hugged.

 And she remembered that special person who squeezed her hand whilst looking deeply into her eyes. 

"This is it, Taeyeon-ah!" The voice echoed in her memory as she recalled the image of her best friend grinning in happiness. 

Unconsciously, she smiled. Her heart felt the warmth that engulfed her at that day. 

Stephanie Hwang or globally known as Tiffany Hwang. Her best friend. Her sister. Her family. Her love. Her dreams. Her life. 

Her emotions were her kryptonite. She might appear calm all the time, but she was actually the worst in handling them. Because she always keeps them in, and waits until it is ready to explode. 

And then Tiffany came to her life. She was not expecting her, but fate did her a favor. She had someone to talk to during the tough days of her trainee days. She had someone to hug whenever she felt alone. She had a hand to hold whenever she could not stand anymore. She had someone who shared the same dream with her. And she did not know that the heavens were good, for they gave her another seven to lean upon. 

Although she could not open up herself to the other seven as much as she did to Tiffany, she was really grateful. They gave her a family. She has a family. 

At first, she had already told herself not to become too attached, for they will not last forever. This was not forever. But the other eight proved her wrong, they stuck together through thick and thin. 

But as time changes, they have moved on. They have decided on what to do with their lives. Almost all of them moved out of the dorm, finding their own selves independently. 

She was assured that they will stay as Girls' Generation no matter what happens. But she could not help but miss the old Girls' Generation. 

She missed the excitement of filming their first music video. The bliss of accepting their first award. The nervousness of making a comeback. They all got used to it, but no, they never bragged. 

She heaved a deep sigh as she the radio; joyous Christmas songs reverberated throughout the speakers. 

It's Christmas after all. 

She stood up and wiped the window with the heel of her palm. Overlooking her were the bright lights of the city, twinkling as if mocking her that she was all alone in the dark. 

Her thoughts were cut short when the door suddenly opened, and there emerged three of her members. 

"Yah! Stop pushing me!" A familiar voice. Shikshin?

"It's dark!" With Yuri. 

"You're dark!" "Yaaaah!" 

"Stop it let me squeeze through the door." A high-pitched voice. Sunny. 

"Wait you shorty." 

"Just because you guys are tall!" 

Her eyes widened, she did not expect them to be here. She could recognize them even with their footsteps. 

"TAENGOO!!!" 

"You're already here!" 

"Why didn't you open the door for us?? Tsk." 

She could not help but smile as the three knowingly made their way toward the couch. 

"We brought food!" 

"And soju!" 

"Why are you smiling like an idiot?" 

Before she could answer, a loud bang on the door echoed. 

"YAH!” 

"Why are you blaming me?!" 

"Unnie~" 

"Kids, be quiet the neighbors might complain." 

"Come on unnies and maknae!" 

The four inside watched them with grins on their faces. 

"Why are you all here?" Taeyeon asked. 

"Actually, I didn't know that these five will so be coming over. I just randomly called Yul and Sunny to have dinner with." Sooyoung answered. 

"Wow you're all here! I just called Fany to shop some presents when we bumped into Hyo and maknaes at the mall." Sica added.

“And decided to go to the dorm out of the blue.” Maknae shrugged. 

"We brought food too!" Yoona raised the bags of food she were holding excitedly. 

"Well, shall we start this party?" Hyoyeon suggested whilst taking out the foods and sojus. 

"Maknae's gonna drink tonight!" 

"Unnie~" 

"Oh please you already had your screen kiss." 

"Fine. But only a few okay?" 

"Ohhh Seohyun is getting flexible huh!" 

"Good job to her roommate!" A high five. 

"Yah don't eat all the kimbap!!!" 

And the food war with loud chatters began.  

 

Taeyeon watched the sleeping bodies on the carpet. Almost everyone got drunk and fell asleep on the floor. She smiled as she felt the warmth that was missing earlier, filling up her whole being. 

She laid down on the farthest end of the piled up bodies. An arm quickly wrapped around her, giving her further warmth. 

"Merry Christmas, Taetae." she shivered at her warm breath tickling her ear, and she felt her nuzzle against her neck. 

She glanced at the body clinging to her, and to the silhouettes of the piled up bodies. She smiled. 

The bright lights reflected from the window, and the Christmas songs played softly on the radio. 

It's a merry Christmas, indeed.