Nu Reality

Recollection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Welcome to Nu Reality, a cloud based augmented reality software that boasts in its authenticity as a true replica to the real concrete world. This will be your first step to a second chance in a risk-free environment, in which you can choose to live your life differently. Have you wondered what it would be like if you had said yes to that job offer? How about if you did make that trip to the Amazonian rainforest that you were supposed to have taken 2 years ago? How different would you be as a person if you had decided to pursue your dreams as an inventor? A musician? An athlete? Today, our innovative and state of the art software can help you answer those questions.

 

First, Nu will download zettabytes of your personal memories on to a microchip with your consent. This microchip will then be implanted close to your parietal lobe via a non-invasive procedure in one of our certified clinics. From there, you will pick out two to three defining moments of your life that you deem appropriate. With these selections, we then connect you to our authentic cloud based world environment where you can choose to live out your life differently, risk-free.

 

We strongly believe that this technology liberates us from one of our most crippling faults as human beings: Doubt. With Nu Reality, you will not be reduced to the endless could-have-been’s that riddles our older generation close to their death today. We strive for a fuller life, to gain access to the complete picture, and to acquire an in-depth revelation of self without having to worry about loss of time or resources.

 

There is no death in Nu, nor permanent disabilities. Nu is the closest solution our humanity can get to living in a paradise. All you need to do, is to be prepared to have the best sleep of your life for approximately 3 to 5 months. You will wake up refreshed, energized, and with 50 months of life experience and information as to who you really are and what you are capable of. There is absolutely no reason to say no.

 

Let your mind roam free in an entirely new world with nothing to hold you back. No permanent repercussions, no missed chances, and no missed connections in an environment that our brains perceive to be identical to the real world. So close your eyes and open your heart; and welcome, to your Nu Reality.

 

--

 

“…and welcome, to your Nu Reali…” Tiffany turned her TV off while pivoting on her heels to snatch her coffee mug off her kitchen counter. Glancing at the glowing digits hovering over the key hooks near her front door, she took a brisk sip from her mug while trying to get an arm in her jacket. She still had about 5 minutes left before she had to leave for work.

 

“Yuri, weather report.” Tiffany said out loud while slipping a foot into one of her khaki high heels. The room chirped and then a female voice came alive to reply to her command.

 

“Good morning, Tiffany. It will be a bit overcast today, so expect a cooler evening after sunset. There is still 12% chance of showers, but an umbrella will not be necessary. A message from your mother came through last night, would you like me to wire it to your cell?”

 

Tiffany gave herself a quick once-over in her full body mirror by the front door. “That’d be great, thanks.”

 

“It’s been wired.”

 

Fluffing up her hair one last time, Tiffany unhooked her car keys from the wall and grabbed her manila clutch from the stand.

 

“Yuri, lock the door behind me please.”

 

“Automatic home security system, engaged,” And with that, she was out the front door.  

 

--

 

Overcast again, Tiffany grumbled to herself underneath her breath while sitting in traffic. She couldn’t remember the last time she saw the shining sun, or felt the warm rays against her skin. If it wasn’t pouring, it was overcast, and clouds that look permanently constipated were killing her vibe.

 

She tapped her index finger against the steering wheel once, and then twice, before she felt a sudden onset of disturbing unfamiliarity. Her awareness shifted in a way that her train of thought stuck on the topic of the weather- When WAS the last time she had seen the sun? Her eyes glanced at the date display on her vehicle’s main center console. It was mid-July. Her eyes glazed over as she remembered that the last time she saw any form of sunshine was back in March.

 

Why had she not noticed this before-?

 

Her car speaker chirped and Yuri’s voice came alive to interject her thoughts.

 

“Incoming call, Mom. Incoming call, Mom.” Tiffany quickly pressed on the talk button on her center console.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Hey, it’s mom. Did you get my message last night?” Tiffany smiled through her guilt at the sound of her mother’s low but sweet voice.

 

“Sorry! I got in late last night and had my OS wire it to my cell for me to listen to it later. Everything okay?”

 

“Of course. I just wanted to let you know that there was a slight change of plans for Friday. We switched the reservation from the Spa to that Nu Reality they’ve been advertising so much. Your cousin couldn’t stop raving about it,” Tiffany rolled her eyes, as this wasn’t the first time her cousin was behind a plan that seemed kind of stupid.

 

“I thought they needed to put you to sleep for like 3 months though?” Tiffany flicked up her turn signal to turn into her office parking lot.

 

“Oh it’s not for the full treatment. They offer an hour long trial. I know that you don’t think very highly of them- although I have no idea why, but an hour out of your life for your mother can’t be too, too bad. Right?” There was a clear mirth in her mother’s voice. Tiffany loved and resented that tone simultaneously.

 

“Mom, you could’ve rented a stripper and I’d be down.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter