Final

true as it can be

I.

 

“How did it all start?” The interviewer was a friendly, if eccentric looking middle-aged woman who was annoyingly persistent about their nonexistent love story.

 

“She carried me with her inhuman strength and I couldn't help but swoon in her arms.”

 

And Yoseob was definitely not helping to curb the interviewer's fantastical notion.

 

“What do you mean, inhuman strength?!” Eunji laughed appropriately and if she jokingly punched Yoseob's shoulder a little harder than normal, well then that was entirely his fault.

 

“Ow! You see? Superwoman.” Since the beginning Yoseob had been teasing and charming and has the interviewer completely eating out of his hands.

 

“When did you carry him, Eunji-ssi?!” The interviewer adjusted her glasses and leaned in all too eagerly.

 

“Oh, he was talking about a show we did a long time ago. I gave him a piggyback ride and everyone was so surprised how easily it was for me to carry him,” Eunji laughed and waved her hand dismissively, “It was nothing. Yoseob-oppa was really skinny back then.”

 

Yoseob feigned an insulted look, but when the interviewer wasn't looking he gave her a wink.

 

Eunji bit her lip at his audacity, until the subject changes back to the musical they were supposed to be promoting.

 

“I've had a sneak peek of your dress rehearsal and I have to say that you two performed beautifully!” The interviewer gushed, “Your chemistry is undeniable.”

 

“Thank you. I do have a talented co-star,” Yoseob grinned, “Eunji sang amazingly, wouldn't you say?”

 

“Not a note out of place.” The interviewer agreed.

 

Eunji blushed at the multitude of compliments thrown her way. Humbly, she praised Yoseob's guidance and her director's patience for the reason she could work so comfortably and confidently.

 

“Yoseob-ssi has been a mentor to you?”

 

“Oh yes, he's full of good advice. I couldn't have done so well without him.”

 

“You're welcome,” Yoseob smirked, and to the interviewer he said, “But between you and me, Eunji does well in everything she tries. I'm almost jealous.”

 

She laughed good-naturedly, and the interviewer does as well. Still, Eunji couldn't miss the gleam in her eyes and she knew that the interviewer still hadn't gotten what she wanted out of them yet.

 

“So, would you two say you'll be working together on more projects soon in the future?”

 

Yoseob's answer was quick, rehearsed and precise. “That's not really a question we can answer right now, but if the opportunities come than I would definitely consider it.”

 

“Yes. Yoseob-oppa is easy to work with. You could almost say that it comes naturally now.”

 

The second the words had left , the interviewer practically pounced on it. “You could almost say he's like a work husband now?”

 

Stunned, Eunji could only chuckle and stutter out, “I-I suppose?”

 

Yoseob turned to her with an eyebrow raised, “You suppose, darling?”

 

“Sweetheart,” Eunji hurriedly got over her stumble and shot back, “Let's not disagree in front of company.”

 

Yoseob laughed so hard he got out of his chair and stood to the side until he calmed. In contrast, Eunji sat completely still, a little mortified but mostly satisfied.

 

The interviewer pushed her glasses up her nose. She was definitely satisfied as well.

 

.

 

II.

 

Yoseob has years of experience over her, and he could deflect every unwanted questions with ease that Eunji can't help but be envious over.

 

As an honest person who wears her emotions on her sleeves, Eunji has a more difficult time dealing with the fans and papparazi who were less shy about asking about her personal life than a professional interviewer would.

 

Once when her manager wasn't around and she had lost sight of the girls while shopping, a swarm of high school girls surrounded her and the questioning had quickly begun.

 

“Eunji-eonnie, we went to your musical last week!” One eager fan revealed.

 

“Oh really? How was it? I hope you enjoyed it.” Eunji smiled indulgently.

 

“It was so amazing and you were so good, eonnie! I'm going to another show—the next one with you and Yoseob-oppa!” Another girl said.

 

“Thank you! Yoseob-oppa is really great--you won't be disappointed.”

 

“We know. We love seeing you work together.” The girls giggled and exchanged secretive glances.

 

Eunji's smile had turned a little wary. “Well, we've known each other for a long time. It's comfortable for us.”

 

One girl, more bold than the others, loudly proclaimed, “Of course, eonnie and Yoseob-oppa are very close!”

 

“Yes we are,” Eunji said awkwardly, “He's a kind sunbaenim.”

 

“And a good friend!”
 

“Certainly.”

 

“And a handsome co-star!”

 

The girls burst into a new round of giggles. Meanwhile, Eunji's face could mirror a tomato. “I suppose.”

 

“Oh, eonnie, you've said the same thing before!”

 

“Yes, yes,” A girl excitedly reminded her, “You called him your work husband!”

 

The girls squealed, and Eunji almost wanted to die.

 

“We're family.” Was all she could say.

 

Wanting to escape further awkward-ness, Eunji uttered a lame excuse before turning around and walking off as quickly as she could without seeming as she was running away.

 

Befuddled at their idol's sudden exit, the girls looked at each other quizzically, and shrugged their shoulders together in confusion.

 

“You shouldn't have mentioned the work husband thing.” The girls admonished their friend.

 

“What? It's not like I asked her if they were dating,” The girl rolled her eyes. “We know that they're not, anyways.”

 

.

 

III.

 

Eunji is always excited when Huh Gak-oppa calls, because while it may just be a call for her to come hang out with him, it could also be an invitation to join him for one his concerts or an invitation to do another duet together.

 

“You're my go-to duet partner.” Huh Gak had joked more than once.

 

“Thank you,” Eunji laughed, “It's nice to have a reserved duet partner.”

 

Huh Gak snorted,”Oh, I know you have more than one! Jung Eunji, you love singing duets—you can't fool me. You and Seo In Guk had made a lengendary duet couple.”

 

“Yeah, but that was just a one-time deal.”

 

“And you and Yang Yoseob. You two are everywhere,” Huh Gak continued n as if he hadn't heard her.

 

“We only sang one song together!”

 

“So you two aren't working together for that musical right now?”

 

“That's different,” Eunji protested, “I work with other people there too.”

 

“I forgot to tell you, when I went to the show I took one of the elevators—imagine my surprise when I saw you two plastered on the doors!” Huh Gak laughed loudly and unapologetically.

 

Eunji's face flushed redder and redder and finally, when she couldn't take it anymore she shouted, “WE ARE NOT DATING!”

 

Eunji threw her head into her hands and moaned with embarassment when Huh Gak's laughter simply doubled.

 

“Who said you were?!” He choked out between laughs.

 

.

 

IV.

 

“Ever since that interview, I've been a bit sensitive about the issue,” Eunji revealed to him. “And maybe I misunderstood a couple things.”

 

“Like what?” Yoseob asked, frowning when he noticed a bit of foam on her upper lip. Without thinking about it, he took a napkin and swiped it off.

 

Eunji's cheeks turned as warm as the coffee in her hands. Shrugging, she turned her attention from him to the swirling patterns of her cappucino foam.

 

“I thought everyone thinks that we're dating when we're not, but actually they haven't been thinking that and it's only just me who thinks that they're thinking that.”

 

She glanced up at his face. “Do you follow?”

 

Yoseob didn't miss a beat. “Yeah. You thought people think we're secretly in love but in fact no one actually thinks that. It's just you.”

 

“Exactly.”

 

“Well,” he paused, “Do you want people to think we're dating?”

 

Eunji sipped her coffee a bit too fast and burned her tongue. “What? Why would I want that? We're not dating. We can't be dating.”

 

“We're not dating,” he agreed easily, “But I don't know why we can't be dating.”

 

Eunji spluttered, “I don't understand. Do you want to be dating?”

 

“I haven't decided yet,” his lips pursed into a firm line, “but my decision wouldn't matter if you say we can't be dating.”

 

“... then let's say you can.”

 

Yoseob sat up straighter in his chair. “Then I would want to be dating, thank you.”

 

Just then, a fan who had recognized them stopped at their table and asked in astonishment, “Are you two on a date?!”

 

Yoseob's face remained blank, but he glanced at Eunji and after seeing no dismissal, reached out and took her hand across the table.

 

To the fan, he replied as a matter-of-factly, “We are.”

 

“We're dating.” Eunji echoed his sentiment.

 

Yoseob smiled pleasurably, “And you can go ahead and pass that along.”

 

The fan practically tore out of the coffee house, phone already in hand and typing so fast his fingers were just a blur.

 

Yoseob raised his cup to her before taking a drink, “Darling.”

 

“Sweetheart.”

 

Eunji gave his hand a squeeze.

 

-

 

A/N: Sorry for the grammar mistakes! I sort of rushed this one. I just wanted to get this little plot bunny out of the way before I continue on my other unfinished stories. (I hope this doesn't sound like favoritism?!)