final

Glee Club and Idiots

 

"Youngjae, would you stop?" snaps a voice to Youngjae's left. He startles and looks to his side, only to be met with the exasperated gaze of his friend Himchan. 

He clears his throat and avoids Himchan's eyes, instead looking at his plate in front of him, full of disgusting, sticky mashed potatoes and undercooked meat. "I don't know what you're talking about." He bits his lip as he hears his friend sighs loudly.

"You know what, it was fun at first but now I'm seriously getting tired of it." Himchan states. Youngjae decides to not open his mouth, knowing damn well his friend wasn't done yet and had more to say. Behind him, he hears another of his friends join in: "Oh. Are we talking about Youngjae staring at the 'hot basketball player but he's also in the glee club with me and oh my god he's so cute just look at him and his big smile oh god please kill me' guy again?" 

His eyes widening more every second, Youngjae frantically looks around to check if anyone is staring weirdly at their table, and then relaxes when he sees that clearly, no one had heard his friend. A snicker coming from a table closeby alerts him but he tries to think clearly: the person was probably not laughing at them, they probably didn't even hear anything since the cafeteria was always noisy.

The newcomer puts his plate (which was as unimpressive as Youngjae's) down and sits in front of Himchan with a bored face. 

Youndjae has just decided that he hates Moon Jongup.

"Why, yes babe, what else could it be." Himchan snarks, causing his boyfriend to roll his eyes. Jongup puts his dessert on Himchan's plate and the latter smiles before focusing his gaze back on Youngjae. "Our dear friend is still stuck on his ridiculous little crush and he doesn't want to do anything about it."

"Even though you've been annoying him with it for, what, two months now?" Jongup asks without any trace of malice. Maybe he isn't this bad after all. Then, he looks at Youngjae. "Please get on with it. Himchan won't stop complaining about this, even when we're about to -" he suddenly stops and whines in pain. Nope, Youngjae still hates him.

"Don't listen to him, Youngjae" says Himchan with a tight-lipped smile. "But he's right, just make a move! Go and tell Jung that you have the biggest crush on him, or I will do it myself."

Youngjae punches Himchan in the arm and the blonde yelps, glaring at him. "Don't say it so loud, you idiot!" 

Himchan whirled around, looking at Jongup for some support, but he only shrugs and points at Youngjae with his fork. "Leave him alone for now, he'll deal with it when he feels like it." The blonde scoffs at the lack of support from his boyfriend and grumbles. Youngjae sighs in relief. 

He actually has no idea how the crush he has on Daehyun developed, but it may be one of the most stupid things he had ever done, including that time in 3rd grade when he decided to hide all of his whiny neighbour's toys until the kid cried. But Jung Daehyun is not only more popular than him - and thus already unattainable - he also doesn't hang out with the same crowd as Youngjae. Daehyun is not immensely popular but his friends (Bang Yongguk and Lee Suwoong) are. Youngjae is only known by his teachers, his best friend Himchan, the latter's boyfriend and the other students in glee club. So, basically, no one.

But most importantly, Daehyun isn't even interested in boys. Youngjae would know, since a quick search on social medias could tell you anything.

He sighs again and starts to play with his miserable-looking mashed potatoes under the pitying gaze of his friends.

*

"Alright, today was quite good I'm impressed! We all have improved this year and I couldn't be more proud of us and -"

"Please Junmyeon, cut it out. We're not even finished with high school yet, we have like six months left." Kim Jongdae interrupts. Kim Junmyeon, the president of the Glee Club frowns and pouts at Jongdae, whom only laughs and puts his arm around him. "Keep your cheesiness for your girlfriend, okay?"

The leader only nods stupidly as his friend ruffles his hair and leaves, hurrying after his short grumpy friend and Li Yin, his girlfriend.

Youngjae gulps as he notices that Daehyun still hasn't left the room, and is taking time tidying his stuff while talking to Kim Junmyeon. He's aware Daehyun talks with everyone but him in the club, but honestly Youngjae knows he would be wasting Daehyun's time. He actually wanted to have a word with their leader before leaving but seeing as Daehyun doesn't seem to be getting out soon, he decides that he'll catch the oldest another day. 

Just as he steps outside the room, he hears a quick breathless goodbye and feels a hand on his elbow. He jumps, turning around and startles again. It's Daehyun. Why is Daehyun holding his arm.

"I, uh, Yoo Youngjae, right?" Daehyun stutters, smiling awkwardly. Youngjae feels his skin heating up and stares at the other's hand. Holding his elbow. But the hand quickly moves away when Daehyun realises Youngjae looks uncomfortable, and he clears his throat. "Well, yeah ah, I just wanted to say that you were impressive today. I like your voice." 

Youngjae is still gazing at his arm when he fully understands what Daehyun just said. He looks up and blinks.

"Oh. Thank you?" he replies and immediatly blushes. Daehyun is looking at him strangely, almost expectantly, and Youngjae feels like he can't breathe properly.

Daehyun laughs awkwardly again and scratches his neck. He almost seems nervous and Youngjae has no idea why. Daehyun opens his mouth but Youngjae beats him to the punch and speaks before his brain can think. 

"I love your voice, too," he blurts out. He feels blood rushing to his cheeks and hopes the other can't notice how red his face is getting. Daehyun smiles shyly and his posture gets more confident.

"Thanks! So, you know we haven't talked a lot before but you seem really, uh, cool and well, do you wanna hang out? Go see a movie and uh... grab dinner. Or something. Like, later?"

Youngjae freezes. "Yeah, uh, okay." he answers shakily. Daehyun then smiles, smiles so big Youngjae stops breathing for a few seconds. Daehyun nods again, his smile unfaltering and rushes out with a 'i'll text you later'.

Youngjae feels too dizzy to realise he didn't give him his number.

*

Two weeks later and Youngjae still hasn't heard anything from his crush. He knows he is probably overthinking it all, but his insecurities started to kick in and he can't help but think it was just a joke from Daehyun. The way he worded it, it sounded like a date. He even asked Himchan the day after, and he confirmed it. And he knows he can trust his best friend on matters like this.

Today is one of those days when he can't stop thinking about it. He glances at Daehyun, only to find that the other is already looking at him. Not for long though, because he quickly turns around and laughs at what his friends say. Youngjae shighs for the umpteenth time today.

He feels a hand on his shoulder and looks up. "Hey, maybe he actually forgot to ask for your number and now he is too embarrassed about it?" Himchan makes a face, knowing himself how stupid it sounds.

"Forget it, Himchan."

The older nods.

*

Youngjae decides that his crush on Daehyun has to stop. Clearly the other isn't interested in being his friend, or even acquaintance, so really he should put an end to it. 

At first, it's a bit difficult since the other is in the same club and virtually almost everywhere. In some of his classes, or playing ball outside, or just laughing loudly in the cafeteria. But then it gets easier. He focuses more on his friends and on singing. He actually even starts hanging out with people from glee club.

Sometimes, he wishes he didn't notice how Daehyun stares at him sometimes. He also wishes his heart would stop beating so fast every time he caught the other.

"Date me." The words kept ringing in Youngjae's head. When Daehyun asked him earlier if he could stay for a moment, this isn't what he was expecting at all. He wasn't expecting anything actually. Maybe an apology, an explanation? Definitely not this.

"No." He blurts out without thinking. He feels a bit proud of himself for not flinching when Daehyun gets closer, half a smile on his face.

"I know you like me."

Youngjae freezes, a million of questions passing through his head. Then, he sees red. "This isn't funny, Daehyun. I don't even understand how you know that, but it isn't funny, okay? So what if I do? Are you trying to make fun of me? My feelings aren't something you can toy with." He snaps, rage evident in his voice. He starts to move towards the door but Daehyun is quicker and steps in front of him.

"No! Listen, just listen to me. I know you have a crush on me. I know because my friend, Yongguk, he told me. And he told me because his boyfriend, Junhong, you know Choi Junhong? Well, anyway, he told Yongguk he heard you say that. And - " 

Youngjae stops him in his rambling and his voice sounds quieter. "Daehyun, I don't care, okay? Please leave and don't approach me again if you're not going to apologise because -"

"He told me because he knows I like you!"

Youngjae's brain stops working the second he registers Daehyun's words.

"What?"
"Yongguk knows I have an enormous crush on you since you sang that stupid song in front of everyone in glee club. That's why he told me Junhong told him that he heard you saying you like me."

There is a long silence. Youngjae is staring at Daehyun and Daehyun looks back, flustered, the color red adorning his cheeks. Then, Youngjae blinks.

"Which song was it?"
"Are you seriously asking me that right now, Youngjae? I just told you I like you!" Daehyun almost yells, incredulously, but Youngjae doesn't answer. "It was Slow Motion." He adds, quietly.

Then, Youngjae laughs. He laughs until his belly hurts and he feels like he can't breathe. Daehyun bits his lip worriedly and waits until he is finished.

"That was at the beginning of the year. I can't believe this. Oh my, god. Why… why did you wait so long? And why did you avoid me after talking to me?" 

Daehyun looks down but answers: "You never seemed to like me, most of the time you were glaring at me. I really thought I had no chance... As for the avoiding, I was so excited about the fact that you agreed to go on a date I forgot to ask you for your number and then I was so embarrassed… Yongguk wouldn't stop laughing at me and... Ouch! Youngjae!" He rubs his arm, where the other just punched him and pouts. Then Youngjae smiles.

"Wait, does this mean you will date me now?"

Youngjae laughs before nodding.

"Of course, you idiot."

 

 

 

sorry for the typos i didn't proofread. Emma I love you so much, once again Happy Birthday! To the moon and back