Prologue

The Good Husband

Prologue 

Warning: Implied infedelity, swearing


"Does your husband do it like this too?" 

"Sir, this way," the same chauffeur that he had known all his life opened the door quickly, ushering Baekhyun out as fast as he could. As soon as he was out he slammed the door and sped away, leaving him to face the blinding flashes and prying questions of the reporters surrounding them. They moved in closer, and the team of bodyguards formed a protective circle around him and the man that stood in front of him. Though he was being crowded into the building like cattle, it was only when he felt his husband grab his hand that he started to feel suffocated. Every step he took and every question being hollered into his face felt like the invisible hand around his lungs tightened its hold. 

"How long has it been going on?" 

"Do you plan to divorce?"

"What about your son? Who gets the custody?" 

"Mr. Byun, is it true what we heard in the video? Do you hold yourself back from your husband?" 

"We won't be answering questions," the head of security cut off sharply. "Please allow the couple to pass." Baekhyun lowered his head to avoid having to look at the people surrounding them, blindly following where he was led. The hold on his hand was warm and strong, a feeling he was familiar with. That was what scared him the most about the scandal. Through it all, since whenever it started to the man standing in front of him now, he had noticed nothing out of the usual. It was him that he always saw - the man he married. He saw him in a different light, yes, but that couldn't erase the fact his actions were still the same, he treated Baekhyun the same as he always did. From the beginning of their relationship until now, it was the exact same. There was no gradual drifting apart or cold actions. Though honestly Baekhyun preferred that to the unchanged 'lover' he currently had. If he had started to avoid Baekhyun, abstained from the endless hugs and kisses, at least he knew he had something to lose in the first place. I was in love with you once, but I'm not anymore. I'm sorry, that's why I cheated. But now - what was this? I guess I never loved you. If he had treated him so tenderly and lovingly and then stopped, at least he knew he was once genuine in his love. For him to continue all these actions with him all these years must have meant they carried less significance than Baekhyun thought. Suddenly the hand around his lungs felt much tighter. 

At last the refuge of privacy welcomed him as they were escorted into the building. The mixed voices of the paparazzi could still be heard, but at least he was out of their sight. 

"The conference is being held in Hall C, sir," one of the officers reported. "Everything is already set up. They're just waiting for you to arrive." 

"Of course," he nodded, before pulling Baekhyun forward with the grip on his hand. He made sure he was walking beside him instead of hiding behind his back like he had been and started off towards the Hall. There was a time when Baekhyun would smile up at him proudly and face the cameras with a smile. Those times were over, as he felt like a dead weight at his husband's sight as they entered the press conference. Immediately he was greeted with the now-familiar barrage of flashes, though he was spared the dread of the questions. His legs felt like they were made of lead. He didn't want to stand on that podium. He didn't want to feel so ashamed, be looked upon pityfully. 

"Keep holding my hand," Youngwoon whispered to him as they climbed up the carpeted stairs. Though Baekhyun wanted to stand tall and proud next to him, he simply wanted to be left unnoticed. If he had a choice he wouldn't be here at all, but good image and response to the scandal was necessary. They were supposed to act more in love than ever, proving their relationship was still going strong. At least he had managed to convince the company to let Sehun stay home. He would die before he let his son experience the humiliation he felt at the moment. 

"I sincerely apologize for any harm my actions may have caused anyone," Youngwoon started. Baekhyun felt himself fade into the background, standing behind his lover more than beside him. He still clung to his hand - management would kill him if he let go in front of dozens of cameras. It helped to let him feel a little less alone in the unfriendly atmosphere of the room. 

"Of course I am deeply offended by the charges I am accused of, and I will disprove them in court," Youngwoon had kept speaking. "As for the video," he paused. There was no way to refute that. It was solid evidence, played on every TV screen and phone in the country. The goddamn video Baekhyun still couldn't bring himself to watch. "I will take responsibility for that. I am sorry for the trouble I've brought to everyone. My family and I are already working to create a better bond. The love we have for each other is still as strong as it ever was, and I am ashamed that people are doubting that because of a small mistake I made." 

At some point Baekhyun tuned out the all too pretty words and focused on keeping his mind empty for the duration of the press conference. It was surprisingly easy, though the lack of sleep he had in the past few days probably helped. Keeping his eyes on the floor and head down, he was able to close his eyes under the safety of his fringe. 

"Thank you," Youngwoon finished, bringing Baekhyun's hand to his lips before leading him out of the hall. The calm demeanour Baekhyun had vanished in a moment, though he held it in until they were out of earshot and sight of the journalists. Ripping his hand out of his husband's grip, he looked at him in the eyes for the first time in days and glared. 

"Don't act sweet with me," he snarled, turning on his heel and stalking away. He couldn't care less about the security surrounding them, no one would believe them if they said anything anyways. 

"How many times do I have to apologize?" Youngwoon caught up to him and reached for his hand again. Baekhyun saw this coming and snatched it away before turning to face him. 

"And how many times do I have to tell you not to touch me?" He spat. If he had held all his anger in the past three days he was at his breaking point now. With fiery eyes and a strong stance, he confronted Youngwoon. "Don't come back to the house. I called my own chauffeur to drive me back home. Stay away from me, and stay the  away from Sehun. Don't even think of him." 

"Baekhyun, we can still fix this," Youngwoon tried pleading, but was cut off. 

"If there's anything you've taught me, it's taught there was nothing between us to fix in the first place." 


Posted 14.7.16, 1.2k words

I finally have something up! I thought of a Good Wife au for a while, but after watching the pilot eps of the Korean remake I was really inspired. This is going to be my fixation for the next few weeks OTL. This is only the prologue, so it's quite short, but I felt like I had to have this interaction between the happy rainbow fluff couple. It also doesn't fit into the first chapter that well and it is the first scene of the drama so. I also wanted to at least have on chapter up to motivate me not to give up on this story. Hopefully that doesn't happen (again).