.003

The Celebrity and the Student

THE CELEBRITY AND THE STUDENT

A pillow flung across the room and it landed square on top of Jung Taekwoon's head. It should be noted that Jung Taekwoon and Jung Leo are one and the same. Jung Taekwoon being his given birth name while Jung Leo was his stage name. The said man groaned once but made no other movements or sounds. It was strange how easily he blocked out the noise of his manager's angry complaints.

"Get up! Tonight is the night of the fundraiser and you have schedules before that. Also, you are running behind schedule by half an hour. I thought I was being nice by giving you an extra fifteen minutes to sleep, and this is how you are going to repay me? Up. Up!"

The covers keeping Jung Taekwoon warm were suddenly pulled from him and off the bed. A moment later his pillows were forcibly pulled from under his head as well. Only then did Taekwoon give up in trying to go back to sleep and forced himself to roll into a sitting position. He didn't try to hide his glare underneath his messy fringe of hair. His obvious glare of contempt was directed at none other than Brian Hwang, his manager.

"What gives? It has been years since I have had to wake you myself. I know we were out late last night helping the ladies, but I thought we got in decently early compared to some other nights in the recent past."

"Couldn't sleep." Taekwoon replied groggily as he rubbed his eyes. He remembered how they had talked for what seemed like hours at the time. Hana had just passed out and was slowly reviving herself with some food. He noticed the color returning to her face and the way her lips lifted up on one side when he talked to her. He shook his head, trying to clear his thoughts of her long enough to be productive. Brian gave him a knowing smirk as he pulled himself up out of his comfortable bed.

"You were thinking of that girl, what was her name again?"

Taekwoon nodded, his steps as slow as a turtle as he walked towards the bathroom. He wasn't feeling in the mood to get ready for the long day before him.

"Bae Hana, and I'll have you know that I haven't felt this way about anyone. I've only just met her yesterday but I want to meet her every day now and get to know more and more about her." When it came to thoughts and words about her they came clear and without reluctance. It was the first time he was ever so open about his feelings towards someone else. Brian nodded behind him and glanced down at one of the rings on his own finger. There had once been a time that he thought he would marry the woman of his dreams. Then he found out that she hurt him in the deepest way possible and soon after left him.

"Well if you stop dilly-dallying we may have time to stop by the coffee shop and see if she is still in." Brian was surprised when the sudden look of pure happiness and hope. It had been so long since Taekwoon looked excited about anything at all. He could only smile when Taekwoon immediately shut his bathroom door and the water to the shower could be heard from the bedroom.

 

A little while later:

Brian glanced around at the small cafe until his eyes landed on the back of Jung Taekwoon's black jacket. There was no sign of the young girl from the night before, but her friend MiJin was smiling up a storm in the direction of the young star. He could already feel the disappointment radiate off of Taekwoon's presence.

"I'm sorry, she isn't coming in today." MiJin, Bae Hana's friend and coworker, looked truly apologetic when she let the celebrity know the truth. Taekwoon could only frown and nod but MiJin's attention was already stolen by Hwang Brian. He was surprised to find her eyes light up and she waved enthusiastically at him.

"I'll see you later!" Brian winked at the girl before glancing down at his phone. Time was worrying him as they were truly running behind schedule now. There was nothing left to hold Taekwoon back from his schedules and if he didn't hurry his star along they would both be in trouble. He did feel bad however, as Taekwoon had been looking forward to more interaction with Bae Hana. Brian could sense an extreme dive in his star's mood which wasn't going to help the fact that his fans were curiously lurking around him, surprised that he would show up to the same coffee shop since the scandal the previous day.

"Brian-shi, I made a few extra iced coffees. Take them to your schedule or whatever...maybe it will relieve you of some harsh words since you are bound to be late. Hurry up and take him now before another disaster occurs like yesterday!" MiJin pushed a small carry out tray with 4 small cups of iced coffee into Brian's hands before waving good-bye and rounding the counter to the register where other guests were waiting for her. Brian gave her one last glance before following Taekwoon out of the shop while sipping on his own iced latte.

"The radio guest appearance is the only thing left for the day before the fundraiser tonight. Your change of outfit will be at that location. Just try to relax for the rest of the day, I'll worry about getting you to the station as quickly as possible and I'll deal with whoever says you are late. Got it?" Brian stared down at his phone once more as their driver shot out of their parking spot in front of the cafe. Taekwoon said nothing but stared out of the tinted windows of the van. "Also, don't be upset. I'm sure if it was meant to be you are sure to see her again."

Brian left the celebrity in silence after the last comment. Taekwoon seemed to ignore or not even hear him to begin with.

Later that night, Taekwoon was in a much better mood after his guest appearance at the radio station. One of his close friends, Sunggyu, had hosted the show and didn't show any anger at all due to his late appearance. Rather he seemed grateful for the ice coffee for him and a few of the other staff members. Sunggyu also understood Taekwoon's personality and didn't pester him with undignified questions. Taekwoon's mood had changed so drastically that he even agreed to sign a few autographs for a few fans and snapping a few photographs before they made their way to the fundraising event. The event, thankfully, didn't start for a few hours so they had some time to admire the decorations that were set up in the hall. The decorations were always bigger and better than the year before and were able to take ones breath away. The event always seemed to outdo themselves. Taekwoon especially liked the banner that announced what the event was and the amount of money that had been raised in the past. Once they were inside the banquet hall, an elderly woman with a kind, charismatic smiled approached him.

"It is nice to see you here again, Jung Taekwoon!" The kind lady spoke in a strong voice that always seemed to surprise the star. He gave her a smile before stepping closer to give her a gentle hug.

"You know I will never miss out on this fundraiser."

"Oh dear, I know. You haven't missed it since your debut."

Taekwoon smiled at the comment and gave the woman another nod. He then handed the woman a slip of paper which she opened and her eyes widened in surprise.

"Oh my. Jung Taekwoon, we cannot accept this!"

The older woman tried to return the slip of paper but Taekwoon refused to take it back. He managed to take a step away before his attention had caught on something from across the room. Young women and men in somber uniforms began to enter the room. They were obviously working the event and receiving instructions. What held his attention was that he swore he saw Bae Hana among those working the event.


"Bae Hana!" A familiar face called to the said woman. Shim Yuri was a regular at working the fundraiser and for years Hana and she had bonded over that fact. They became close friends ever since the first fundraising event they had both worked together. They gave each other a quick hug as it had been quite some time since they had last seen each other.

"Attention! It is time to start serving the drinks. Remember that there are important guests here and some have made very amazing and generous contributions to the fundraiser. Please act respectfully. Do not talk to anyone unless there is a question you know the answer to and please try not to make any mistakes!" The overseer of the volunteers talked sternly to each of them just as she did every year. Hana gave a nod to her friend, trying to keep the humor out of her face unless she were to be scolded for that too. Hana and Yuri were working and serving the same tables and as they were repeat workers for the event, they knew exactly what was needed done and so they immediately got to work.

Yuri and she flitted from table to table, serving water, tea and coffee and being complimented often on their hospitality and quickness. Then, when the food was ready they served table by table while a few men served alcoholic drinks and champagne.

"Heads up, there are a few s at table 7. Seems they've done a little drinking on their own and they are all pig headed!" Yuri warned her which she was thanked for before Hana glanced at the table. She could tell they were drunk by the way none of them seemed to stay in their seats and hooted and called across the room while presentations were going on.

Hana took some of the last plates of food out after having special instructions to serve a few people last. She placed the plates down and was about to return to the kitchen when one of the attendees raised his head and his eyes penetrated into her own. She nearly gasped loudly, but quickly pulled herself together although she was frozen to her spot.

"I thought I saw you here, Bae Hana." Jung Taekwoon was seated in front of her; Jung Taekwoon was smiling at her. There was a tenderness in his smile that she hadn't seen from him the night before. Though in her defense she had been exhausted. A few people at the table lifted their heads and looked around till they found her standing there. She could feel their judgments of her radiating off of them and she was quick to feel unwanted. Dipping her head, she gave the nicest acknowledgement she could muster in that moment and retreated towards the back.

"Hana? You look like you have seen a ghost. Everything ok?" Yuri greeted her as soon as she made it to the kitchen. Hana could only nod as her eyes searched the crowd for Taekwoon. Her cheeks burned red when she found that Taekwoon was looking in her direction and their eyes met once more. It caused her to wonder how he forced such a strong reaction out of her. "Hana?"

She snapped her legs together, pointed quickly towards the hallway and disconnected her line of sight to Taekwoon.

"I'll be back. I just need to use the restroom." In a flash, Hana was out of the kitchen and in the closest ladies room. Only there could she deflate the breath she had been holding in. She dabbed a cold, wet towel to her face and neck. Nothing she did erased the small flush staining her cheeks. The surprise of Taekwoon being at the event had caught her off guard. What did it mean meeting him here of all places and so quickly after yesterday's fiasco. She took a few more minutes to think about it before exiting the restroom and taking her time walking back to the kitchen. As soon as the majority of the event attendants finished eating the volunteers would be removing the plates and the more popular presentations of the event would start. That is when her favorite part of the night would begin.

"Oh ho. Look what we have here, fellas." A man to her right surprised her as she hadn't been aware that anyone else was around. It was only then that she noticed another man behind the first and they were both swaying unnaturally. "Say pretty lady, what brings you out here all alone? Looking for a little-" The second man moved his eyebrows provocatively as his gaze raked over her.

Hana turned her head away and attempted to walk faster past the both of them.

"Oh no. What is the rush, dear?"

The first man grabbed at her, causing her to scream and jump back from him. The smell of alcohol wafted over her face. The second man managed to catch her wrist and twist it painfully.

"Let me go." She didn't know how she managed to keep her voice low and level or raise her head to look at the man holding her wrist. The men only laughed and glanced at each other as though they had won some kind of prize.

"Now now, there is no rush, is there babe?"

She was about to respond when the sound of slow, steady footsteps distracted all three of them. They found the source just a little ways down the hallway, and she couldn't help but to admire the long legs and the fashion of the celebrity Jung Leo. The idol stopped when he was only a little ways away and he stared at them beneath clouded, hooded eyes.

"I believe she said to let her go, Joo Hyuk."

The man, she guessed the man named Joo Hyuk, huffed but wasn't scared enough to back off. "Go mind your own business, Taekwoon."

Taekwoon raised his head, anger seeming to bristle up his spine and made him seem taller. Anger flashed in his eyes and in his demeanor. The hand twisting Hana's wrist was suddenly dropped and she quickly rubbed the area.

"I know you came here just to make me angry. You never before agreed to come to the fundraiser. You have succeeded, so now buzz off."

Joo Hyuk snarled at Leo's words but soon turned towards the exit and shakily left the location with his friend tailing close behind him.

Jung Leo kept his distance from Hana but they remained in the hallway alone for quite some time. Hana finally raised her eyes to his which immediately made her flush again when she realized he had been staring at her all that time.

"Thank you for helping me."

There was a silent pause between them in which Leodidn't seem to realize that she had said anything at all. She was torn between staying put or heading back to the kitchen. She made up her mind a few moments later and was about to return to the kitchen when Leo finally spoke up.

"I was surprised to see you here."

She nodded, glancing around to give her an excuse to not look directly at him. She didn't want to admit that she was just as surprised to find him there as well.

"This fundraiser is important to me, but it is almost impossible to get in unless you are a celebrity or have some money. I work as a volunteer so I can at least be a part of a little bit."

Her statement seemed to leave him without anything to say once again, forcing her to look back at him. A smiled had formed on his lips as he continued to stare at her.

"I'll walk back with you."

With a nod they began to walk back in silence, glancing at each other and smiling when their eyes met.

"I went to the coffee shop earlier. I wasn't going to tell you, but I feel as though MiJin may tell you the moment you see her.MiJin said you wouldn't be working there today. You took the day off to volunteer for this event?"

Hana nodded at him before glancing at the event banner. She then turned to face him, smiling a bit sadly before turning her face towards the floor.

"I want to make a difference and right now this is the only way I know how."

Taekwoon stopped walking to listen to her, the words echoing inside his head and heart. He nodded in understanding and his eyebrows furrowed in concentration.

"I really hate to see children in orphanages or homeless. Single parents struggle to provide a house and food. There are so many children that enjoy a spoiled and happy life, including myself when I was younger, and I don't think it is fair for some children to struggle in their youth." Taekwoon seemed happy to explain what brought him here to the fundraiser. Hana nodded and glanced away for a moment. When she looked back at him her eyes were bright and left a fire behind her soft brown eyes.

"Jung Taekwoon, make sure your friend Hwang Brian does not hurt my friend MiJin. She has been hurt enough and burned by so many other guys. I don't want to see her upset. If he isn't real about liking her you better to tell him to quit now." Taekwoon was quiet due to the surprise of her sudden outburst. All he could do was nod in agreement and continue to stare at her.

She then smiled and was happy to have gotten her mind across to him. That didn't stop her from being startled when the idol suddenly dipped his head towards her, suddenly just a few inches away.

"Hana-shi, would you like to go out with me sometime?"

The question obviously stunned her as she could only stare back at him with no attempt to make a coherent answer. Her heart raced and pounded inside her chest as she tried to figure out some words to say to him. Before she could do that, the doors to the dining hall flung open. Taekwoon's manager, Hwang Brian, skidded to a stop and gave each of them a look of horror. The reason was obvious. Reporters and paparazzi of every shape and size were just behind him and went into a frenzy of flashing cameras and caught the two of them in such a friendly distance. Taekwoon immediately stepped up in front of Hana to block the cameras' view of her.

"Sorry Taek, I never expected the two of you to be right behind these doors. They called for you to make a speech. Grandmother had made it known about your donation." Brian quickly tried to explain in a whisper as he helped to block the cameras' view.

"It is ok. Just do me a favor? Don't let the reporters get to her. Do whatever. Take her to my vehicle or whatever she is comfortable with and whatever the boss will accept. I don't need her pressured by the press."

Taekwoon smiled tightly as he moved away from Hana and his manager, distracting the cameras, reporters and onlookers from the woman behind him. He trusted Brian to protect her from any and all exposure. Almost instantly he was blinded from the large amount of camera flashes.

"If everyone could give a round of applause to Jung Taekwoon for his wonderful donation to the fundraiser." The grandmother, the woman in charge of the event, winked at Taekwoon from her podium and he dipped his head to her in gratitude. She was the best help he could get to distract the press from everything else.

LEO & HANA
//CHOANNA320