Final

The Perfect Life

“Let’s get a child." While they were having breakfast and coffee this morning, the usually quiet Dongwan suddenly annnounced, his expression as though he had finally come to a decision, and a pretty good one at that.

"What?” Minwoo, who was enjoying his coffee, spluttered as he heard Dongwan’s sudden declaration. Curiously, he got closer to Dongwan, faces inches away as he stared into those clear eyes of his husband, looking for any signs of it being a joke or a lie.

“What are you doing?” Dongwan raised a finger to Minwoo’s forehead, voice hinting a bit of annoyance as he pushed Minwoo away. He sighed, and ran a hand through his unkempt hair, one that Minwoo loved so much,“I said, let’s get a child. Is it so surprising to you? You were the one who suggested it months ago!”

“No, no. Of course not! I’m just curious…at your sudden change of thoughts. Weren't you opposed to having kids in the first place?” Minwoo asked carefully, a coffee mug in his hands, as he raised it to his mouth to hide his imminent smile.

“I wasn’t opposed to having kids, you know. I was just being opposed to myself being a father.” Dongwan huffed, and stabbed his fork into a piece of bacon before shoving it into his mouth.

It was true though, and Minwoo’s question was justified as well. They had been married for two years now, and they were really happy. They go to work together, and during the weekends, they will both go to different spots in the city to look for breathtaking scenery. On rainy days, they snuggle up to warm each other up, two cups of hot chocolate on the table, and the television playing their favourite Disney movie.

Life was perfect. No, close to perfect. It was nice and comforting with the two of them around, but Minwoo thought that kids will bring much energy and joy to the family, and that would have made life perfect in every sense. Yet, when he raised the idea to his love, it was shot down as quickly as lightning strikes.

This went on for two months as Minwoo tried his best to persuade Dongwan. For the first time since their marriage, the couple fought and quarrelled like no one’s business, and it only halted when one of them walked out of the room. It often ended up in tears.

“Why?” He asked one day, tired of all the fighting, and already given up at that point of time. A child. Maybe not now, he just wanted Dongwan to be happy.

“It’s not that I hate kids, Minwoo.” Dongwan sighed, his eyes bloodshot from all the drama before. Turning, he looked deeply into Minwoo’s eyes, “I’m just afraid I won’t be a good father to them.”

Then, everything came to realisation. Minwoo, who understood everything, never pressured Dongwan again. He felt so guilty for it, knowing how Dongwan doubts himself so, because of his family.

“So what made you change your mind?” Minwoo took Dongwan’s hand into his, rubbing his thumb on the back of the hand as he asked, not even bothering to hide his smile anymore.

“You know how I often go to different orphanages every month for charity work, those that you often come along. The kids, I see them in myself, in a way I understand them as though they were me. I see the joy and I hear laughter. It kind of melts me everytime. ” Dongwan gave a small smile as he added,“I just never had the idea of family before, Minwoo. But maybe with you, I’m willing to try. You will be a good father.”

“Oh, you will be! You will see, just don’t start your life talk with them.” Minwoo laughed softly as he placed down his mug and pulled Dongwan closer.

Dongwan hears and pouts, eyebrows scrunched together as he pinched Minwoo’s arm lightly,“What’s wrong with my life talks?” Minwoo shrugged and laughed, earning another death glare from Dongwan.

“Thank you so much though, Minwoo. You gave me everything I never thought I would one day have. A happy life, a family…I’d do anything for you, really. No words can describe how much I love you.” Dongwan snuggled closer, raising his face up to Minwoo, smiling as he said.

“There’s nothing to thank, silly. I love you too.” Minwoo smiled as he planted a kiss on his forehead,“Happy Fathers Day from our kid in advance, dearest. ”

“Hmm…Happy Fathers Day to you as well.”