Neighbor from Hell?

Knock-knock

 

 

The sound of the rustling through fabric seemed to match the fast movements of his hands. Wide eyed and sweat trickled on his forehead. It was supposed to be inside his bag. He groaned loudly, pulling his wet hair forcefully. His brain couldn’t even comprehend right now, let alone think where it could possibly be. Damn it! Who the stole his key? He continued his search and now his bag was upside down, mess started piling up on the floor yet he still couldn’t find this damned key. Instead, he found his phone lying on the ground. He sighed. At least he could call that bastard to turn back and pick him up. He picked his phone and the first thing he saw was the red led twinkling in the dark.

 “Great, now my phone is also dying.” He muttered under his breath, almost throwing his phone to the side.

He thought for another way but it only lasted for seconds before he groaned again. Damn he couldn’t do anything without his phone. And right now he only had cents to spare in his pocket. He cussed at himself who thought that it was a good idea to not bring your wallet when you play basketball. He intended to save himself from spending a fortune on food but now he’d rather done that instead being locked outside his own flat.

Taecyeon contemplated. Should he walk to Khun’s? But it was miles away and he didn’t want to risk his legs after that tiring basketball session. He considered about being a hobo and sleep outside his door with his bag as a pillow. Not the best choice, he knew, but still…

As he packed his things back to the bag, his mind got struck by a lightning and an idea came up. He could use his appeals—or his most pitiful looks and intrude his neighbor’s room. And it only came in mind that the person lived beside his was Junho. The guy who he had seen in one of his class, economics maybe? He didn’t quite remember but he was sure that this guy was Khun’s stalker best friend as he often seen roasting Wooyoung for his antics at chasing Khun relentlessly.

He was in front of his door now and his palm began to sweat. He was nervous, honestly. He didn’t really know Junho. They never talked much and it certainly didn’t help that he and Junho lived in a different world. He was never liked art or music and it seemed that Junho was really passionate about it. But it was too late now as his hand had already knocked the door. He could only wait while he heard his heart thumping loudly on his ears.

He heard himself counting on his head one… two… three… four… five—and creak, he was greeted by the figure of a man with half of his face hidden by the fall of the brown messy fringe. He couldn’t pinpoint Junho’s expression, a little bit annoyed, maybe?  He wore a grey hoodie with only a boxer covered his thighs so Taecyeon could see his toned legs—damn he should stop.

“What do you need?” Junho glared up at him, voice came out rather harsh.

“Umm… Uh… I…” Taecyeon was only blabbing. What should he say? He suddenly lost his cool.

“I am closing the door if you don’t say anything in ten seconds. One, two, three—” 

“Okay, okay! C-Can I spend the night in your flat? Because my key is nowhere to be found right now and I cannot bear the thought of sleeping in the ground on this cold night!” Taecyeon was half shouting to him now, and he regretted it when the man in front of him looked at him like he was some weird guy.

“This is ridiculous,” he said, amused. Taecyeon could now see the glint in his eyes. He was glad that the bad mood Junho emitted had dissipated somewhere.

“Please?” Taecyeon offered him his best gum smile.

“I barely know you. Who’s in the right mind let a stranger sleep on your room?” Junho deadpanned. He was clearly enjoying this too much and Taecyeon hated it.

“Uh…” Taecyeon stoned. He thought that it was only partially true because they were not a stranger, at least. But he couldn’t force Junho to give him shelter if he didn’t want to.

A laughter beamed after several second and he looked up to see that Junho was laughing heartily until his eyes copied the shape of a crescent moon.

“Look at your face.”  He said, trying to muffle his laughter but failed so he sounded rather funny. “, you look so terrified that it’s hilarious.”

Taecyeon cheered internally. At least his pitiful face came in handy at situation like this.

“Okay, you can come,” Junho said finally, “but don’t try to do something funny!” he added and made a room for Taecyeon to enter. Relief plastered all over Taecyeon’s face as he stepped into the room.  

 “Thank you,” he said, glancing at Junho who just shrugged it. He looked over the surrounding and he can conclude that it was ten times better than his own. Junho’s room is really neat and also a lot spacious, he thought or it was because he didn’t have that many things, perhaps? Only bed, desk, dresser, and a speaker. So, did Junho practice dancing in here? That answered the faint music sounds he heard every other night.

“Wooyoung is a neat freak so I may have been infected by him,” he said lightly, answering his silent question while he walked to the desk. He sat on the chair after that, and drew his eyes to the laptop screen. Taecyeon just hummed. He had heard a little about Wooyoung from Khun and this one included.

“What are you doing?” he asked, curious at what made Junho frown and creased his forehead.

“A troublesome task that I should collect tomorrow but I cannot bring myself to finish it.” Junho whined. His hand moved to mess his hair up.

“That’s why you sound so annoyed.”

Junho sighed and threw a glance at his side, eyes skimmed his figure. “Until when do you want to stand awkwardly there? You can sit anywhere, you know, I won’t bite.” Junho laughed again. It sounded magical on his ears, like he wanted the sound to be replayed again.

Taecyeon only smiled. He then opted to sit on the bed he was afraid to crumple because it was so tidy. “Do you even sleep in your bed?” “I mean your room is ridiculously tidy for a guy…”

“Well, you’ve heard me. Wooyoung has influenced me I think. What kind of messed up place you’ve been living when you regard this room like the cleanest thing you’ve ever been?”

“Shut up. ” Taecyeon rolled his eyes, slightly annoyed. It was really new for him though, he had been to his friends’ room and all of the places, including his, were a landfill now compared to Junho’s.

“Sorry, I’ve been playing with Wooyoung too much. He always nags me when he comes here.” He stopped typing and sighed, turning to face Taecyeon. It seemed that he was sorry for offending him. “And this ing task clearly didn’t help.”

“You should join us then,” Taecyeon suggest playfully, eyes mischievous. Junho looked like he was thinking a bit but then he casually shook his head.

“I don’t want to even imagine Wooyoung’s reaction.” Junho shrugged. He stared at him for a moment, eyes flickered at Taecyeon’s face and turned his gaze back to the screen.

What was that for? Taecyeon nearly stopped breathing from the way he looked at him. Junho was making him nervous. He fidgeted a little and glanced at Junho. He could see that now Junho’s hoodie were down, that meant the brownish hair of his was visible—and wow he never noticed that Junho had such nice side profile. His defined jaw accented his profile, and even from the side he looked handsome? Taecyeon stopped himself from staring too much and regained his composure.

“Ah, Khun?” He tried to sound normal and it was a success.  

Junho nodded, eyes still not leaving the screen. Taecyeon examined him again as he finally typed something. . He cursed his damned eyes for coming back to his figure once more. Taecyeon then noticed something that peaked his interest. He grabbed a sketchbook placed on the nightstand, a desperate attempt to distract himself, and opened the first page carefully. It was a doodle—an interesting doodles if he could say. A kind of drawing he couldn’t describe. It was probably a collection of Junho’s favorites, as he was sure that he saw a lot music related drawing, cartoon characters and some cats? He didn’t quite pinpoint it clearly, they were hidden and they blended well with the other picture—and oh? He could also discover the subtle of Junho’s name on it.

He turned the page and honestly a little bit surprised by the next sketch that he thought was a family picture. His big eyes directly darted to the boy who had a big grin all over his face, little Junho. Taecyeon couldn’t help the matching smile that spread on his lips. Little Junho on this sketch looked so happy with his parents and his older sister. He knew it where Junho’s small eyes came from now. Taecyeon then eagerly flipped the page to stare more at his effortlessly awesome drawing until he stopped at the sight of a man with a bucket hat. It was amazing, the way the sketch captured the fire in those eyes and the quirk with that ridiculous hat, until he realized that it was someone he was familiar with. Wooyoung. His mind told him the name as he continued to turn the page. It was Wooyoung again, but with different feel than the previous one, this time it was him laughing as nothing mattered in the world, it was so carefree, like a child. He opened the next page and honestly he felt a little annoyed when he was greeted with the same person again. Did Junho just run out of model or something that he drew Wooyoung all the time? He tsked and peeked over the next one. Taken aback was an understatement when he saw what the sketch was. He needed some times to recognize the person because damn, Junho could portray that dried squid like another creature from heaven. Nichkhun was so handsome on that black and white pencil effect, his features are highlighted that made him not humanly. But why did Junho draw Nichkhun of all people? Taecyeon gritted his teeth and his annoyance was tripled from this picture alone.   

He snapped out of his mind when he heard a call of his name. Junho was now facing him and his tiny eyes almost popped out from his lid. Taecyeon’s curious hands stopped turning and he stared back at the bewildered Junho.

“What are you doing?” Junho snapped at him, eyes squinting like a dagger now. Taecyeon only looked blankly at him and finally looked at the sketch book wrapped on his guilty fingers. “Don’t turn it.” Junho warned and his voice low. Taecyeon was an idiot and so he tried to open it, as a meant of a harmless joke by his ignorant mind but Junho was certainly not impressed by that and decided rushing to Taecyeon, sliding his chair so fast and the next thing Taecyeon remembered was the faint of Junho’s loud curse before he realized the bizarre thing that happened now.

Junho was trying to snatch his sketchbook back but Taecyeon, being Taecyeon, put the sketchbook on his back and the event after that was something he didn’t expect. Junho failed to regain his balance that resulting him to fall on top of Taecyeon. He was now lying down on the mattress, hands on top of his head with Junho’s sketchbook—and the owner of the book’s face lied on his belly, dangerously close to his crotch. . Now he could feel the shiver ran through his spine as Junho’s breath ghosted over his thin clothes.

“!” Junho cursed again and tried to stand up, holding Taecyeon’s thigh for support. “Uh, s-sorry!” Junho eyes widened and he quickly rushed back, certainly just realizing what happened. Taecyeon just stared at his sloppy movement, his eyes avoiding Taecyeon’s at all cost. He was a stuttering mess now, and Taecyeon wanted to laugh, he was that calm and collected Junho not too long ago.

“Umm… Give it back to me!” Junho tired to sound menacing but failed miserably, as if his red ears indicate the opposite. Taecyeon’s back still pressed on the sheet, watching Junho intently was more interesting now.

“Well? Never expect that you’ll go berserk with only a sketchbook,” he said after he felt satisfied watching Junho’s expression became a mix of annoyance and shame. Taecyeon then gave him what he wanted and Junho stole it so quick before putting it to his drawer.

“Shut up. You should be thankful I decided not to ditch your sorry , Mr. Borrowing-without-permission.” Junho glared at him, seemed like he had regained his composure now. “And congrats, you’ve officially made my bed messy.” He rolled his eyes and went back to his laptop, leaving Taecyeon alone still on his awkward position.

“Sorry,” Taecyeon apologized sincerely while he sat up on the bed, “I don’t want to interrupt you and your task so I try to entertain myself.” He hoped that it made him less guilty, but he couldn’t deny that it became too awkward now. Junho only spare a glance at him before sighing to himself and continued his task. Damn, what should he do now? The room became silent and he couldn’t do anything except maybe he could try to make his bed. Yeah, it sounded like a good making up attempt by his desperate self.

“Hey, can I use your charger?” Taecyeon asked carefully after what seemed like an eternity. He did nothing for the past minutes after he had done the bed and stared at Junho for god know how many times. He honestly really liked what he saw but the silence was killing him slowly.

“Sure,” Junho answered after a long pause as he continued typing again without even bother to look back. It successfully made Taecyeon’s heart plummeting down into the dark ground far below. His inside felt like it has been jabbed several times but he tried to ignore it so he bring his phone to the charger and distract himself. The phone’s finally on and a notification of new messages appeared. He opened it straightly and noticed that there were three unopened messages and one missed call.

From: Eyebrows at 7.49 pm

Why is your key inside my pocket? Get it by yourself I have more important things to do.

 

From: Eyebrows at 7.54 pm

You alright man? where did u go?

 

From: Eyebrows at 8.05 pm

Wow you ditched your flat for somewhere else? At least tell me where you are er

 

Taecyeon was right, his damn key was with Khun all this time. But he didn’t remember ever giving him his key, why would he anyway, and Taecyeon didn’t care. His priority was he should get his key back as soon as possible.

 

To: Eyebrows at 9.18 pm

Thanks to you I’m in lion’s den rn. give me back my key now

 

From: Eyebrows at 9.18 pm

Wow, you are still alive, man! where are you exactly?

 

To: Eyebrows at 9.19 pm

In Junho’s. I don’t know man but I think I made him angry and now it’s hella awkward

 

From: Eyebrows at 9.20 pm

Junho as in your neighbor and Woo’s sassy friend? Wow freak what did you do this time?

 

To: Eyebrows at 9.22 pm

This is your fault for keeping my key . Come here and save me. I’ll tell you later

 

From: Eyebrows at 9.23 pm

No, I told you I’m busy. Since when did you care if you made someone angry? You always do it anyway.

 

To: Eyebrows at 9.23 pm

you and your ing caterpillar eyebrows, khun

 

From: Eyebrows at 9.24 pm

My, my, if you don’t wanna make your cutie pie angrier just play with him and stop texting me ;)

 

From: Eyebrows at 9.24 pm

I’m serious, just talk to him or flatter him, he’ll be less angry.

 

To: Eyebrows at 9.25 pm

How the do you know that anyway?

 

From: Eyebrows at 9.25 pm

Someone just told me now. Have fun, I’ll bring ur key tomorrow ;)

 

Taecyeon turned off his phone, annoyed. He left his phone on the nightstand and pulled his hair forcefully. That eyebrow prince didn’t help him at all—except he did help a little but why did Khun seem like to know Junho well? He couldn’t shrug off this weird feeling but he definitely should interrogate him tomorrow. Plus that sketch of his friends on Junho’s sketchbook didn’t help either. Why did Junho has to draw that good looking bastard anyway? His felt his blood boiled the more he thought about the possibility of them together. He forced to stop his train of thought and found himself staring again at that annoying person who still glued to the computer. Annoying, because Taecyeon couldn’t stop tearing his eyes and one hundred points from making his supposedly easy life harder.

Taecyeon finally came closer to Junho and take a peek on what he was doing. He seemed to be troubled, he hadn’t move his fingers to type something for about several minutes so Taecyeon thought that maybe he could offer a help.

“You seem frustrated.” Taecyeon said while bending his posture a little to take a look at the screen.  Junho was really surprised by his presence judging by the shook on his face when his eyes met Taecyeon’s.

“Umm,” Junho didn’t continue, instead his eyes wandered on Taecyeon’s face a little bit too long. Taecyeon felt his face heated and cleared his throat that made Junho jumped in surprise. “Uh, I’m really at econometrics, honestly.” Junho shrugged, his face became a little bit impassive.

Taecyeon scanned the screen and smiled at himself. This was Junho’s problem all along? He felt his pride went up.

“That was Mr. Park assignment? You should’ve told me earlier.”

“What?”

“I’ve finished it since ages ago.” Taecyeon answered lightly, eyes at Junho’s surprised one. Junho didn’t answer that, clearly didn’t believe him.

“I may not look like it, but I actually care about my grades, you know.” Taecyeon laughed but Junho still looked at him weirdly. Okay, he should probably prove it if he wanted to turn Junho’s shocked expression into fascination, he hoped.

Taecyeon squatted down and stood with his knee and began typing. He thanked God for his excellent brain that he had no problem solving those statistical and mathematical models. He only needed 30 minutes to solve it all for himself before and now he could do the rest of Junho’s problem for less than five minutes. He typed the answer without a pause and he could feel the other person’s gaze bore a hole through him. He was sure that Junho was staring at him continuously.

“There you are, easy peasy.” Taecyeon let himself be a little bit boastful at that. Junho’s eyes then flickered when he saw the screen.

“Wow, I’m actually amazed,” He stated after checking Taecyeon’s work thoroughly. “Thank you,” he said sweetly or maybe it was only in Taecyeon’s imagination.  But he couldn’t deny that Junho’s smile eyes were very beautiful that night. He wouldn’t mind to be the person who was lucky to see it every day.

“No biggie.” Taecyeon just shrugged and tried to play it cool but he actually had a problem keeping his heart rate normal after seeing that smile for the first time. “You know, I’m really sorry for earlier. I was stupid I know.” He trailed, eyes on the floor. He was rather embarrassed.

“Well, that’s okay, don’t worry too much, I’m just afraid,” he said, “…since no one has ever seen the sketchbook,” Junho added, his voice soft.

“Even Wooyoung?” he asked, rather surprised.

“Well, he is an exception since he had seen almost all of me anyway.”

“Hmm,” Taecyeon nodded, Wooyoung was his best friend since forever so it wasn’t too weird if Junho has a couple of Wooyoung sketches. But he was rather tempted to ask him about that Khun sketch instead.

“Did you see something on my sketchbook?” Junho eyed him suspiciously, maybe because of his lack response of this matter or because Taecyeon’s face was not that convincing, he didn’t know.

“I only saw your family sketch and Wooyoung. Many Wooyoung.” He stated like Wooyoung had offended his life. He refrained to ask about Khun since he was afraid that Junho would be angry again at the fact that he had seen his sketchbook that far. “Seriously your sketches are really cool. I wish I had half of your talent.”

“Thank you,” Junho said coyly. Taecyeon noticed his ears turned red when he said that. That bastard Khun was right, Junho seemed to enjoy being praised. Maybe Junho had a praise kink—okay that sounded wrong. He should stop staring at those sinful lips as they parted slowly while Junho was talking. He tried to tear his eyes away when he heard Junho’s voice crept out.

“I’m happy when someone appreciates my drawing, it’s not often someone thinks that way,” he said faintly, lips formed into a bitter smile. His voice evaporated into the thin air and Taecyeon looked at him, face painted with surprise. Taecyeon opened his mouth to show his disapproval but he was cut off by Junho.

“Hey, we have a problem here.” Junho suddenly shifted his glance to the bed and Taecyeon followed his eyes. Right. He only realized it now. But where he was supposed to sleep? Junho’s bed was nice but it may be too cramped for two men. But he didn’t really mind sleeping closely to Junho actually—he should stop really, blame the night.

“I could use the floor,” Taecyeon offered quickly as he didn’t want to trouble Junho.

“You sure?”

Taecyeon nodded and proceed to sit on the floor. He heard Junho sighed afterward before the man went to the bed slowly and threw his body on the sheets. He dragged his body to the bed’s end side so his body touched the wall. “Just sleep with me, you can fit here.” Junho motioned his hands on the bed and Taecyeon honestly surprised. He searched for Junho’s eyes but they kept avoiding him. The tip of his ears became redder than before. Taecyeon gulped hard. His heart was jumped erratically on his ribs while he was stoned on the floor. He wasn’t sure if this was a good idea, sleeping with Junho right beside him. He was not sure if he could sleep at all.

He got up and slowly walked to the bed and this time Junho actually stared right at him. Taecyeon was embarrassed and it was a little awkward. He practically moved his body like it was a robot, a robot with a racing heart was it. His body finally spread out on the sheets, eyes could only see the ceiling. Taecyeon stilled his body for several minutes, unable to lull himself but he could hear the soft in and out Junho’s breath. He certainly had made a great mistake to tilt his head to the right side before he closed his eyelids. Junho’s sleeping face was only an inch from his, and Taecyeon held his breath because well, Junho’s face looked so innocent like this and he just wanted to close the small gap and kissed the peaceful boy in front of him. Taecyeon heaved a long sigh while he could only wonder when he would sleep with a sight like this.

 

***

 

That is the end for chapter one. See you in the next chapter xoxoxo