Chapter 1: Drugs

I Can Hear You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

CHAPTER 1: DRUGS

 

Taeyeon is nervous. This is her very first time to attend a party even though she’s already in her senior high. She’s maybe the type of the stereotypical introvert girl. She has very strict, over-protective parents. Although sometimes she’s not sure if they are overprotective of her or it’s their status/reputation they are protective that’s why they always lived by the norms.

But if it’s not because of Yuri’s incessant begging for her to come to the party, she wouldn’t be.  But of course as a normal person she also has a desire to go to parties; to socialize with people; to have many friends without her parents judging/choosing who she should be friends with; and to also do dangerous things or maybe not really dangerous but to be kinda adventurous sometimes.

Kwon Yuri is her only friend who never thought of her as a freak or weird just because she’s really quiet and who always study and read books. Yuri never judged her lifestyle. She feels like Yuri just treats her as she is. Yuri sees her as nothing else but Kim Taeyeon.

Taeyeon loves Yuri and never wanted to lose her. Thankfully her parents liked Yuri to be her friend. Maybe it’s really one of Yuri’s charismas- she’s easily liked by other people. And it’s really surprising how Yuri had persuaded her parents to agree for her to come to the party.

But as D-day of the party has come, Taeyeon wished that her parents have not agreed.

Half of her wants to attend the party but half of her is super anxious. She started to overthink.

‘What if I will just be embarrassed?

What if, if I’ll just ruin the party?

What if it’s not going to be okay?

What if I will just embarrass Yuri?’

 

She has full of what ifs.

It was Jessica Jung who hosted the party and it’s like a year-end party for them since this is their last year before they step onto the crucial life of a college student. But it’s only inclusive for their homeroom, the 12A class. Jessica is like one of the famous person in school. She’s very rich, beautiful and her friends are also popular in their batch. Her parents are influential. They own the known fashion brand of Blanc and Eclare. And because it was Jessica who hosted it and it’s a year-end party in the middle of the school year, most of them call it The BIG party. And it really sounds awesome in her ears although kind of scary too. She thinks no one really cares if she appears or not. Nobody cares about her, only Yuri cares.

Taeyeon sighed and questioned why she is being a drama queen. It’s just a party. The very first party she’ll attend… But it’s not just a party. It’s BIG. It’s starting to freak her out. Again.

‘No one is expecting me to be there. I don’t belong there.’

Maybe she should text Yuri to just go without her. She suddenly feels sick. Her heart is starting to beat fast. She’s seriously freaking out. And even starting to sweat. All her negative thoughts caused it all.

But even before Taeyeon can get her phone, a honk was heard. She jumped.

“Taeyeon! Yuri’s here!” Her mom called. “Are you ready?”

Taeyeon took a deep breath. She can’t properly breathe. “I-Y-yes mom!” But she tried to be positive. ‘It’s going to be okay. Whew.’ She took a quick glance at the mirror before leaving her room.

“Go home on or before 10 not past 10. And don’t let them pressure you into drinking.” It was her dad. Taeyeon look at her watch, its 7 pm.

“Yes dad.”

She left the house and saw Yuri waiting for her inside her car; A red Hyundai Elantra. Her dad followed her outside.

As Yuri saw Taeyeon’s dad she rolled down the windows.

“Yuri, kindly fetch home Tae on or before 10 and don’t get drunk.” Taeyeon’s dad said then he went back inside the house.

“Yes uncle!” Yuri answered as she opened the door of the passenger seat for Taeyeon.

Taeyeon sat down on the passenger seat.

“How are you feeling?” Yuri asked.

Taeyeon gulped before answering. “Uhm… Nervous.”

And Yuri can see that on how stiff Taeyeon is. Yuri reached for her hand and squeezed it. “Relax. I’m here.”

“I know. Thanks.” She responded. Yuri let go off her hand.

“Loosen up.”

Taeyeon smiled. “I’ll try.”

“No. Do it. Loosen up. This is a party… Let’s make some noise!” Then Yuri played an upbeat music on the radio. Yuri’s a good mood maker. Somehow she feels at ease.

“Wooooh~!” Yuri is the only one who can see her carefree side like this. They started to sing songs that are being played on the radio. And it was only Yuri who knew and only has the pleasure to hear Taeyeon’s melodic voice. Yuri was about to make it known to the whole class before but Taeyeon told her that she doesn’t want anyone to know about it, she has no confidence at all and she doesn’t want to stand in Jessica’s way. Jessica is well known for her good singing voice and also, Tiffany Hwang, who only transferred last year but became famous instantly this year because Jessica befriended her. They are popular girls and Taeyeon thinks that people will only judge her, if she make known her talent, that she’s just being a showcase who only wants to have a name because she’s a nobody. So it’s better to have a quiet life. And that means living in the background. She’s that negative.

But unbeknownst to her, she’s also popular: Popular for being a shy awkward girl.

 

After a few minutes they reached the Jung’s residence. Yuri parked her car on the roadside since the parking in the house are already full and she’s not on Jessica’s VIP list to have their car parked in their large garage.

“We’re here.” Yuri said. They can already hear faint booming music from the inside.

“That was fun. I guess having a party inside your car is more fun than going in there.” Taeyeon said.

Yuri chuckled. “I bet but hey, we’re here. Don’t think too much. Just go with the flow. Enjoy.”

Taeyeon’s anxiousness came back. She doesn’t know how to go with the flow. ‘It’s gonna be fine. It’s gonna be fine. It’s gonna be fine. I wish I could just act like the way I did in the car, but no. I can’t.’ Just thinking about her classmates gives her an anxiety attack and her feet paused a bit. She wrapped an arm around her like it could protect her.

“Are you okay? Come on. I promise you that no one is going to bully you inside. If that is what you’re thinking.”

Taeyeon sighed. “I’m sorry if I’m making a big deal of this. I just can’t help but to feel this way. It’s just that I’m not used to this. I don’t know how I should act inside.”

“Just be yourself. Besides, the guests are our homeroom. It’s only us 12A. They know who you are at least. Just enjoy. And your dad said that on or before 10 you should be home. I’ll drive you home. So don’t overthink. Or I’ll freak out too.”

Taeyeon smiled. “Thank you, Yuri.” She said and thought. ‘But no, they didn’t know who I really am. I am only the awkward Taeyeon to them. ‘

 If Yuri just happens to be a guy, she’ll probably fall in love with him. Thankfully, Yuri is a girl. Because she also thought that if Yuri happens to be a guy, she’ll be one of those popular guys in school who is not going to notice her. Taeyeon sighed again. Now she’s thinking about Yuri in a strange way.

 

Taeyeon never expected that Jessica’s house looks like a night club: Everyone’s dancing. Disco lights. Loud music. Some are drinking. Some looks drunk already although it’s only 7:30 pm. And it seems that 12A class became so huge. She never expected that they are this crowded when they hang-out in a house. She tried to look in their faces if it’s really only 12A here in the party. And it is only them: Her classmates who she always saw every day although they’re different outside the campus. They are wild. She’s not used to this setting but her deeper self, feels kind of thrilled and likes this kind of setting.

But as for Yuri, it was… “Nice.” She commented. She’s impressed on how Jessica had set her big house, maybe it’s a mansion, into looking like a club. It has a party spirit. Some of their classmates are having fun at the pool out the backyard. It’s great. Well, that’s how Yuri’s point of view of the setting.

Taeyeon watched how some of her classmates acknowledged Yuri’s presence even though she’s just beside her. And it was Sooyoung who noticed her. “Wow, Taeyeon! The Kim Taeyeon came!”

Choi Sooyoung is also Yuri’s friend. But Sooyoung and she are not that close even if they always eat lunch together. Sooyoung will only talk to her when she’ll ask about assignment and if she can copy. But she flushed on how loud Sooyoung acknowledged her. Yuri grinned. “Of course she’s one of us.”

“Yeah, right. But sometimes I forget that because… Taeyeon, you should make yourself noticeable. Haha. Just kidding.” Sooyoung gave her a light tap on her shoulder,

Taeyeon just gave Sooyoung a smile and they continued inside the house. Sooyoung went with them.

“Drinks?” Yuri asked. Taeyeon hesitated. “Err…” It doesn’t have alcohol right? “Sure.” She answered rather unsure. But Sooyoung was like, “Surrre!”

Yuri chuckled. “You’re cute. Like a kid. Don’t worry I don’t think it has alcohol in it, Tae.”

“Oh, right, Baby Taeyeon.” Sooyoung patted Taeyeon’s head like a kid just because she’s really tall. Taeyeon cower a bit and moved away from Soo.

They approached the drinks. It’s on the dining. And they saw Yoona, one of Jessica’s friends. She’s getting a drink and some food. Taeyeon was intimidated by Jessica’s circle. But Yuri and Sooyoung is so cool around them. Taeyeon wished she’s cool like them.

“Heyyy,” Yuri greeted Yoona.

“Heyyyy…” Yoona greeted playfully back. Then she noticed Taeyeon and she looks really surprised. “Oh, hey, Taeyeon.”

Sooyoung laughed at Yoona’s reaction. “You look so surprised.”

“Well, I never thought—“

“It doesn’t have alcohol in it, right?” Yuri interrupted Yoona before she can say anything that might offend Taeyeon or might make Taeyeon feel uncomfortable. But it’s already too late.

“Uh…” Yoona smelled her glass and took a sip. “Mmm… I don’t think so. You judge. Here try it.”

Yuri took a sip from Yoona’s glass then she contemplates. “Hmm… maybe I’ll just have a soft drink. Come on Taeyeon.”

Yoona giggled. “Don’t wanna get drunk, Yul?”

“Yeah.” Yuri answered.

“I wanna get drunk. I’ll get drinks. You go on with Taeyeon.” Sooyoung said.

“She’s like your baby.” Yoona said.

“Yeah she is.” Yuri responded which made Taeyeon blush in embarrassment. As they are kind of far from the drinks, Taeyeon held Yuri’s wrist. “Uhm… go on without me. I’m fine.”

Yuri felt confused. “Huh? What do you mean?”

“Go socialize. Go drink whatever you want. I’m fine. Maybe that drink doesn’t have alcohol in it or maybe a little alcohol in my system is not that bad.”

Yuri just stared at Taeyeon. How she wanted to help Taeyeon to build up more self-esteem. She smiled and reassured Taeyeon that she is not being a burden to her. “I don’t wanna get drunk. And I like your company.”

Taeyeon blushed. But she decided to instead, just to push away the warm feeling that’s building up inside her. She’s having unexplained feelings recently towards Yuri. “It doesn’t sound like you. You, not getting drunk.”

“What? I’m not a drunkard. I drink sometimes but I do not—“

“Drunkard.” Taeyeon bantered playfully. Yuri’s cute when she’s being teased. Yuri is kinda weak from teasing. Especially if it was Taeyeon who teases her. But she’s careful not to go overboard, because she is afraid she might annoy Yuri.

“Ah, Taeyeon. You’re teasing me~” Yuri whined playfully as she realized it.

Taeyeon laughed.

“Taeyeooon~~” Yuri whined like a kid which made Taeyeon laugh more.

“You should do that more.” It was Jessica. She came from the kitchen and she saw Taeyeon laughed. It’s a refreshing sight. Taeyeon blushed and immediately stopped laughing.

“Hey, Yuri.” Jessica greeted before turning back to Taeyeon. “By the way, I never really thought you’ll come here Taeyeon. I should’ve ordered more food.” Jessica added.

Taeyeon felt more uneasy. She shouldn’t have come. No one is expecting her to come here. But Jessica can be a bully sometime. Her smile soon faded and she lowered her head a bit but giving a careful glance at Jessica. Unconsciously, she moved a bit behind Yuri like Yuri is her shield.

“Jessica.” Yuri warns.

Then Jessica giggled. “I’m just kidding. Of course there’s enough food for all of us. Enjoy. By the way is there something you need? Especially you, Taeyeon? I bet this is your first time coming to parties. And as a courteous host… ”

“Just soft drinks for the both of us.” It was Yuri who answered. She doesn’t like Jessica much. How she wished Jessica would stop giving her that amazed but sort of mocking look.

“Okay? Uhm… let’s see.” Jessica went back to the kitchen. They followed.

Jessica went to the fridge and took two cokes in can. “Here. So, I’ll just go check on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter