Getting Caught In the Rain

Getting Caught In the Rain

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“I wish we had done this sooner.” Jae said, holding my hand making me giggle. I shook my head.

 

“It’s nothing special really.” I chuckle, brushing his comment off. Feeling dramatic, he steps in front of me and stops.

 

“Are you kidding? Of course this is special! Getting to see where you grew up and where you spent time as a kid. Imagining an even short version of you . . .” His voice trailed off, mouth curving upwards into a small grin. Scoffing, I lightly punch his shoulder.

 

“Jae! Just because you’re taller doesn’t mean you can make fun of my height.” I frown, trying not to give in to his playfulness.

 

“I think that’s exactly what it means, but I’ll let it fo this time, just for you,” he pauses to wink behind his lens-less glasses, “besides if we didn’t come here, you wouldn’t have told me all your fun gym class stories.” We both stopped to laugh. Those stories were always silly and immature, as middle school usually was. Most of the time it involves someone getting hit with some kind of ball accidentally.

 

“Hey. I slid across the gym floor trying to get through the jump rope. Still have the scar to prove it. I don’t think you needed to know that. But I’ll let you have that one. There are always funny stories from back then.” I smiled, taking in his laugh and admiring how his face lit up despite the dark clouds. Wait . . . dark clouds? As soon as I looked up, a raindrop plopped onto my nose. Jae looked up next only to have one fall into his eye.

 

“Ow!” He whined, moving his glasses to wipe his eye.

 

“If you wore your real glasses, you would’ve been fine.” I teased lightly.

 

“True, but you know I have to be stylin’ at all times. These glasses are my signature trademark.” He grinned, before taking my other hand in his. My eyebrow rose as my lips flattened into a line. The rain started to steadily come down now and I came to my senses.

 

“Shouldn’t we get out of here? I don’t want us to get sick.” I questioned using logic. He smiled, shaking his head.

 

“There’s something I have to do first.” He answered cryptically, feeding into my curiosity and confusion.

 

“Which is?” I asked, but as soon as the words left my lips, they were captured by his. My eyes widened and my heat stopped as I squeezed his hands slowly falling into the kiss. His smooth lips moving against my own gently, happily. Soon he pulled away, looking in my eyes deeply. His lips a nice pink, contrasting beautifully compared to his blond hair.

 

“Our first kiss.” He answered kindly with a goofy grin.

 

“Of course. And in the rain too? You really are a romantic Jae.” I chuckled, feeling the rain against my skin. But what could I feel more than the rain? I could feel the heat and happiness radiating from him.

 

“Only for you,” he grinned, stealing another peck, “too bad you’re not wearing a white shirt though.” It was then that the moment was over and I pushed him away.

 

“I hope you know your way back from here because I’m not going with you acting like that.” I yelled as I started jogging again, hoping the heat would cover my blush.

 

“You didn’t let me finish! If you were, I’d give you my jacket to cover you up. I’m not like that baby!” He yelled back, running after me.

 

“You could’ve given it to me anyway. Sure you definitely meant that babe.” I retorted back, with a hint of sarcasm. I started speeding up since he was gaining fast. Damn tall people strides.

 

“Please I mean it! If you stop for me, I’ll give you another kiss. I know you liked it.” He teased as he got closer and closer. Feeling competitive I yelled, “You wish! You’ll have to catch me first!” I broke out into a full speed run, despite the rain. However, it didn’t last long until I felt a pair of arms around my stomach and was suddenly stopped.

 

“Gotcha!” Jae grinned as we both breathed heavily from running. I looked back at him to see a triumphant smile graze his face.

 

“And I won’t let go.” He said quietly, as I felt myself blush. I turned around and kissed his nose. He smiled, kissing my own before taking off his jacket and putting it over my head. Jae then kneeled down, offering a piggyback ride. I immediately took him up on it, almost getting hoisted into the trees as I directed him on the way back to my house.

 

“Isn’t the air lovely up here?” He joked, shifting me up to keep me on his back.

“Don’t push it.” I replied, before kissing his cheek, continuing on our way home.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________