Chapter One.

In Your Eyes

“Okay Jimin, can you open wide and look up for me, I’ll be checking your eyes now. You should feel a slight puff of air, try not to blink.” by slight he really meant big. It had caught me off guard, sending a shudder throughout my body. There was a faint sound of pen to paper followed by a dragged out silence.

 

“Well, not too much has changed. Your eyes are as healthy as one’s can be, and there seems to be no physical change. If you don’t mind, Jimin, I would like to have a word with your mother in private.”

 

“Here are the keys to the car, hun, if you want to wait for me. We shouldn’t be too long.” I could hear the smile that was plastered to her face, along with the jingle of the keys. Pushing myself up and off the stool I was currently seated in, I counted my way out of the examination room. It took me seven steps and i was out the door. Counting was my way of getting around, of course I had my walking stick but I felt it attracted more attention than needed.

 

I wasn’t really surprised when the doctor said nothing changed.

 

That wasn’t a bad thing but at the same time, it wasn’t good either. After hoping for years that I would finally get to see, my dreams keep getting dashed over and over again. It’s not fair. It’s not fair that others were naturally born with sight -- and took that for granted! -- while I had been lost in the dark since birth. Mom calls it tragic -- well, not to my face but I know she thinks that. My dad thinks so, too, but he’s a lot more discreet about it than mom.

 

From the moment she and my dad got married, all they wanted were kids. Then, when my mom gave birth to me, that dream shattered. Her first child was born blind as a bat and had no perception of the world around him. Honestly, I don’t even know how my parents or my brother look like. Sure, I imagine the way they look all the time, painting their features on a canvas in my brain, but nothing beats the real deal. And honestly, that goes for everything from flowers to books and watching movies and everything else that I can’t list because I’d be here all day.

 

I make my way down the lobby to the entrance twelve steps and a left , counting the rest of the steps to Mom’s car and I make sure to hold onto her keys, knowing that there was no way I’d be able to find them if I dropped them.As i rounded the corner of the building my body collided with another, knocking me to my knees. Of course, with my counting method there was always the chance of miscalculation, just like right now.

 

“Watch where you're going, what are you blind?” the stranger words were harsh, and sharp around the edges, but that didn't matter I had dropped the keys like I knew I would. My hands reached out beside me searching with no sense of direction.

 

“I’m s-sorry, my keys, I can't find my keys.” the stranger fell silent, as I sat helplessly feeling for the lanyard with the keys attached. Anxiety began to wash over me. I didn't want my mother to walk out and find her blind son sitting on the sidewalk of the parking lot desperately looking for a pair of keys.

 

“Here.” the stranger's voice spoke back up just when I thought they had already walked off. My head snapped to the direction of the sound holding my hand out, grasping around in the air. I soon caught ahold of their hand and pulled myself up off of my position on the ground.

 

“Thanks” I muttered looking in no particular direction. “Do you think you can grab my keys for me?”

 

“No problem, and I'm sorry about the blind thing…” his hand grabbed ahold of my hand again, placing the car keys in my palm. I curled my fingers around them tight, not wanting to drop them again.

 

“It’s fine I’m use to it…” and infact I was. I have been blind for eighteen years, my entire life, and not a day goes by that I'm not made fun of for it. It’s been that way since kindergarten. I can still hear the harsh words of my so called classmates, but I've learned not to let remarks from others affect me, it was just numb feeling I get now.

 

“I’m Yoongi by the way.” but before I could stutter my name out my mom had made her way out of the doctor's office and threw her arm over my shoulder.

 

“You ready to go, Jimin?”