His Last Note;

The Last Concerto


"Music is what feelings
sounds like."

 

Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that cannot remain silent. Good music calms the soul; it takes you to  another place where you can be away with problems. Music is the get away to every emotion buried deep within us. Music speaks, sometimes... it was best expressed in notes than in words.

Baekhyun was a successful pianist. He was known for his beautiful music that sends people's heart to heaven. Every he makes on those piano keys were heavenly music that soothes everyone's ears. Those melodies were talking; as if they're reaching the hearts of those people who came to hear him play. It was traveling not just to the ears, but it stays inside the heart.

People loved his hands. Those beautiful slender fingers that produces music for them. People envy him and his fingers and they wish that even if just one day, his fingers will be theirs.

He was all alone when it comes to life. Until one lady who's been brought by his music to him. They were happy—filled with endless joys and music that happiness brings. They both live in life with music for years. The melodies were there to express how happy or sad they were. They have been each other's harmonies.

Baekhyun was known. He was paid to play beautiful masterpieces and sometimes his own compositions. His concertos never end. Every time he was free, he was always invited to play. More music, more income. He was saving for him and his only love. He was planning to give her the life full of happiness and luxury. She was very supportive of him and he wanted to return the gratitude.

He just finished one of his concerto and he went home to his girlfriend with a happy heart. But one thing's not right, his love was playing a sad tune. He decided to ask her what's wrong and she smiled, it didn't reach her eyes and she was crying. 

He was worried. What happened to her that it brought sadness to her whole being? He smiled as he tried to coax her for answers. Once she decided to open her small mouth, it was his turn to remain silent.

"I'm dying."

Two words. Just two short words that sent him speechless. He looked at her in worry and he couldn't understand why she was still smiling. She should be sad and breaking down but no, she was smiling for him. He wanted to rip that smile off her face but it was probably her facade to look strong in front of him. She wanted to be his strength because she was the inspiration of his music.

Baekhyun was devastated. He paused from touching piano keys for a while and reverted to touching his girlfriend's hands all the time—reassuring her that he will be there by her side. It wasn't the best solution but he needed to be there to support her through her trials.

It was heartbreaking to see the only one you cherish in your life suffering from endless pains. If only music could heal her physical pain. He would fill her up with beautiful melodies to wash away what she was feeling. She was fading in front of him and he couldn't let her go away with the wind just like that.

He tried accepting mini recitals for him to earn more money and to divert himself from the pain. His music still remained beautiful but it was laced with sadness. His audience could feel his pain and whatever he's going through. They reached him and offered their help in any way that they could. It brought a little smile on their favorite pianist.

She was there alone on the bed, reading her favorite novel, when he went home. She was still beautiful in his eyes even if her skin paled and filled with bruises. Her face deepened and the liveliness in her eyes were slowly dying. He reached for her once healthy cheek and caressed it lightly. She turned to him and leaned to his touch. 

When you love someone, you commit yourself to them. No matter what happens and how physically sick your partner is, you stay with them. You listen to their pains, you outlook to the petty things you will see, embrace their vulnerability and be strong for them, and emphatize with them in ups and down. That's true love —you wouldn't change a thing.

Her skin felt rough on his knuckles but he wasn't bothered by it. Instead his heart was inside a music chamber and it played another beautiful melody that he could only hear. He leaned to kiss her chapped lips and they both closed their eyes to savor each other's taste and warmth. He kneeled on the ground and brought out a shiny diamond ring that made her cry. After he put the ring on her skinny finger, he wiped her tears away. He kissed her lips with tender in every touch and whispered endless promises that he vowed he will do with her.

He wasted no time and placed kisses on her jawline down to her collarbones carefully and slowly. Every kiss was painful that it was laced with uncertain future. He pushed those worries away and made love to her. Every movement signified love and commitment. 

Seasons passed, the clock ticked, and people came by. No amount of time could measure the life of a person. It was on how you have decided to spend every second of it. 

He promised a mini concerto for her. She was sitting on her wheelchair, waiting for him to send her to the place where she could only think of him and his music. He was smiling and started to play with the melodies that soothes both of their pains. 

The way he played was the indication of his eternal love and promise for her. It was the way he could talk to her without saying any word. Words could be misinterpreted but music would speak directly. She closed her eyes to indulge more in the music and a smile etched on her face.

Baekhyun finished the last note and he saw her smiling with her eyes closed. He felt like he was successful in saying his intentions to her. He went closer and touched her closed eyes. He was paralyzed; she was quite different. Her warmth wasn't there and her skin faded. Baekhyun was left there kneeling alone; she was gone by the wind.


He announced that he would have a concerto. People were ecstatic to hear that their favorite pianist would play again. He arranged the event by himself: he hired professional musicians who would accompany him as he did the concert for the last time. 

It was the last time that he promised himself he will touch those piano keys. His whole being changed and he was not the same pianist he was before. The melodies were filled with sorrow and agony and it pained him to hear the keys playing. Music was the best escape; it will lead you to another place where you would be away from all the worries. 

But to him, it only reminded him of his pain. It turned back to the time he was happy, that she was there existing in his life. And he would be a fool to believe that she was there, but in reality he was left alone to grieve. 


The music brought happiness and pain. He promised himself that without his inspiration, he would stop those beautiful keys. Those melodies wouldn't be heard because it brings painful memories. The way his fingers those magical piano keys was different than how he usually does. The pressure on every note signifies the weight of his burden. He wanted to end of all the suffering because this would be his last. 

 

The last concerto.

 

End.


"Music; the voice of the soul"


Until I find you again, I'll keep the memories and our love deep in my heart.  You will always be remembered. 
All myself to you.
-BBH