One Way Ticket

Fate's Ways

Gyuri’s POV

"I'm home!" I announced as soon as I stepped inside the house.

Jiyeon, one of our maids, approached me then bowed. "Welcome back, ma'am! How are the exams?"

I walked with her towards the kitchen then sat one one of the stools. "It's okay. Quite easy, though." I replied. "Halmeoni," I called out, "do we still have some pie left?" I was starving. I wasn't able to eat breakfast--because I was in a hurry--and lunch--because I was too engrossed in my thought during break time today. Deiay unnie's offer is almost too good to be true. It's already there, just waiting for me to accept it but should I? Is that really the solution? I don't know.

"Earth to Gyuri!" Jiyeon snapped at me. "Ya! Are you okay? You were suddenly spacing out..."

"Huh?" This is probably the nth time I spaced out today but at least, I didn't during our exams. "Wh-what happened?"

Halmeonie, our head house maid (I like to call her halmeoni because she's been like a grandmother to me), sighed. "I said, we don't have any left but I can make some for you. Is that all you want?"

"Oh. Well, can you make some rice dishes too. I'm a bit hungry." I smiled cheekily, hoping to convince them without having them ask any question. But of course, they still would.

"What happened to you today? You seem" said Hwayoung, "..weird?"

"You're spacing out. That's slightly normal." Miyoung, her twin, said. "But you seem so... happy? You're smiling--a lot."

"I'm weird, I know that." I chuckled. "But is smiling a bad thing? I'm just really happy that the exams are over."

Jiyeon eyed me then said, "You're not usually like this. Your smile is different; I've never seen you so much happy for the past seven years that I've been working here."

Miyong and Hwayoung nodded. "Same."

"Tell me, Gyuri," now it was Halmeoni, "what happened?"

"Nothing. It's just nothing." I shook. "I-" My phone suddenly rang; "Mrs. Cho" was flashed on the screen. My happy vibe disappeared as I picked up the call.

"Hello?"

"Gyuri? Is this Gyuri?"

"Yes ma'am, what do you want?"

"Have you finished the presentation yet?"

"Yes. I emailed it to you last night."

"Okay, good. The meeting is at six thirty and I expect you to be here at least fifteen minutes before."

"What? Why am I supposed to be there?"

"Well who do you expect to present? I? Eunmee?"

"But-"

"Don't be late young lady."

Then the line went dead.

"Geez."

"So what did she say?"

"I'm gonna present at the meeting later." I sighed. "I'll just be upstairs, in my room. Call me when the food's ready."

 

I dropped my bag on the sofa then plopped on my bed, sighing. "Ugh!! Why me?" was all I could say. It's all overwhelming. No, not the meeting, I'm used to that, but everything else.

"Take it, Gyuri. Don't let the chance pass."

"I don't know unnie. Is this the right thing? Escape?"

"Look at it like it's a way to get out of the box. Out of your not-so-comfy-comfort zone. A new life, new beginning."

I flipped over so that I was lying on my back. "Six thirty, three thirty-- nine hours after." I have nine hours to prepare--nine hours to escape. I stood up, walked towards the sofa then opened my bag, taking out an envelope which I slowly opened. "Three thirty, three thirty." I couldn't help but mutter. This is like a life or death decision. Am I ready to leave everything behind and go back?

Coincidentally, my phone rang. Using my finger, I swiped it to open, revealing a new message.

Deiay unnie:

Decision please~

"Gyu, the food's ready!"

I hid the envelope back in my bag together with my phone. "I'm coming." I shouted back. Nine hours, nine hours.

 

It's almost five o'clock. I stared at the luggages in front of me. One, two, three. Three luggages all in all. This is it. Or is it?

"Are you really going to leave?" My conscience seem to ask me. "I don't know" I really don't. It's like this is a really big test--a very important one, like the finals. But unlike the finals, they were not reviewers or ample time for studying given--like a pop quiz perhaps. It just happened.

"I'll be back."

I went downstairs with my sling bag and files. "Where's Uncle Rick?"

"Yes ma'am Gyuri?" their driver asked.

"Can you please drive me to the office?" I asked.

"Of course."

 

Third Person POV

The drive was rather short as she used it as a time to think and decide. Flashbacks were playing in her mind, those times that she felt so low, so weak, so useless.

"This mug" she laughed, "is much more important that you! How dare you! Your grandma Cho gave it to me!"

"And it was supposed to be mine~" I heard Eunmee sing.

I felt Mrs. Cho's hand hit my cheek once again for the third time. The could feel my knees getting numb resting on the bed of seeds. It's probably not just about the mug. I remember earlier at school, when I told the principal that Eunmee is adopted. I didn't intentionally tell him; he just asked. Eunmee was so furious; maybe she told mom.

I took a deep breath. "I am very sorry Mrs. Cho and Ms. Eunmee. It will-"

Another hit. "Did I allow you to speak? I don't remember doing so."

"No but I have the liberty to do so."

Another one--fifth. "You brat! How da-"

"How dare I? Because I can and you don't have the right to do this to me." I stood up. "I know this is your usual punishment to me but heck for a mug? A stupid mug that I didn't even break but your stupid daughter did? I am not your slave."

That was probably one of the best nights of her life even since they moved from Korea. That night, she was able to let her anger out--she didn't care if she got a dozen more slaps. She was able to voice out what she wanted and it made her feel so good inside. Maybe that's where Deiay got her idea.

"It's a one way ticket. I didn't get you a return one because you shouldn't go back again. Stay there."

Deiay, her only friend she had here. They were both Korean transfer students and she was the only one who treated Gyuri like a friend. She's the only one, other than the maids, who knows Gyuri's situation and she kept her sane but comforting her and giving her advice; she tried to keep her emotionally healthy and happy. She knows how to make her smile even though that seemed almost impossible.

"I'll be with you for a few days but then I'll have to go to Busan for the Holidays then back here. My parents promised to talk to the school and we've already prepared a unit where you can stay."

"You don't have to do this, unnie."

"Gyuri, if I won't then who will? I know even you won't. You'll try to find a better solution, a fix, but honestly, I think this is the best thing you should do."

"But-"

"No buts. You'll know what do when you get there."

She didn't want to recall any further as she might remember her childhood again, her life back in Korea--the good, normal, almost perfect life.

"We're here Gyuri ah."

"Thanks uncle."

"Anything for you sweetheart." He said. "Whatever your problem is right now, just follow what your heart says." He looked at her through the rear-view mirror.

She smiled her usual melancholic smile. "Thanks" she said, "I will."

She pressed send before putting her phone back in her pocket. She then left the car and proceeded to the conference room.

Reply to: Deiay

I'll see you at the airport at two.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Hello! I know it's been a very long time since my last update. As you can see, the other chapters are gone because I've decided to rewrite this story first before another update. When I reread the story, I didn't really like the way I've portrayed the main characters (because I feel like Gyuri's bipolar or something) and the mood doesn't suit the theme well and also, I don't like the way I wrote the first few chapters. There would be quite a number of changes but I'll try to rewrite it as fast as I could so please bear with me! I'm really sorry for not update so a really long time.

I hope you still support me :3

I love you guys! <3