Chapter 0: Pigeons

Them

“Where the hell is your gun, Mira?” Micha seethed through a clenched jaw. Mira looked up with an utterly nonplussed expression, moving up and down as she searched for an excuse. Mira wasn’t the sharpest cop in the shop, but she was about to reach an all time low and she knew it, so after three minutes of imitating a goldfish she settled with an uncertain “I’m not sure.”

Micha took a deep breath and forced herself to relax, smiling bitterly as she slid a familiar gun across the desk towards the girl. “Well, would you look at what I pulled out from behind a gang lord’s ear!” Micha clapped, her voice dripping in sarcasm. “I wonder how he happened to get a standard police issue gun with – excuse me if I’m wrong – a serial number registered to someone with the exact same name, age, profession and address as you… any ideas?” She leaned across the desk and straightened her face back out into a sharp glare, waiting for an explanation. She wasn’t normally like this, but some mistakes are unforgivable.

“Maybe he stole it?” Mira stuttered.

“Or…” Micha hummed; “Maybe a new race of super carrier pigeons pickpocketed you and delivered it to their one true love and saviour?”

“That’s stupid.”

“I don’t know,” Micha pretended to be considering the stupidity of her own comment, “I think it’s a bit easier to believe than ‘maybe he stole it,’ but maybe that’s just my supressed desire for pigeon mail to be cool again talking.” Mira frowned, her eyes darting around the department as if looking for someone to come save her. Micha rolled her eyes and grabbed a seat, trying to look as intimidating as possible – her partner had told her that was the part she at the most, but he was a moody giant. “Look here, Mira, dear. There are few things that bother me more than officers that can’t do their jobs. One of those things are officers that won’t do their jobs and endanger the rest of us in the process.”

Mira swallowed hard, Micha didn’t notice her hand reaching for the gun as she spoke. “Look here, Micha, dear.” Mira choked. “You gave me back my gun just to prove a point.”

Mira’s hand darted forward, snatching the gun from the desk and pointing it at the detective before her. Micha’s first instinct told her to duck out of the way, but instead she lunged for the weapon… and then there was a bang.

Micha knew, that in the few milliseconds before that bullet hit her, she had a choice to make. A choice that could only throw her world into disaster; but she had to choose between the best of two wrongs… She let it hit her.

 

The shock spread through her system like wildfire, and her left hand automatically clasped her side while the other one tried to steady her against the desk – only for her elbow to buckle and send her crumpling into the desk. She gasped for air as her vision blurred, the sound of the gun shot ringing in her ears. She dared not look down at the wound – she could feel the blood oozing through the gaps in her fingers and seeing it would only make the pain more real. Micha could see Mira’s mouth moving... who was she shouting at? She didn’t know; all she knew was that she needed to get that gun, and she needed to do it right… and fast. Micha grunted as she tried to push herself back onto her feet, but the world was moving too fast and the desk was getting closer and closer once again. Micha looked up and saw that Mira was pointing the gun, still moving and hands trembling. She was ready to shoot again. The wounded girl’s eyes followed the direction of the gun and quickly recognised the blurry silhouette of it’s target. Her partner was moving towards them slowly with his hands in the air, and for a second Micha cursed him for being so brave. If Micha reached up she could probably snatch the gun out of the girl’s hands, but the sudden movement might cause her to press the trigger. She knew her best choice was to throw her fear away – to use the power that she had just taken a bullet to keep hidden.

Another bang ripped through the ringing in her head and the choice was made for her.

Adrenaline coursed through her veins and her body moved so fast that she wasn’t sure that she was moving at all, she had to stop the bullet. The detective’s body contorted so that her palm was extended towards the direction that the shot was fired – channelling all her energy into creating a magnetic force strong enough to stop the chunk of metal from sinking itself into Oh Sehun’s torso. What Micha didn’t count on was the bullet coming back, yet a searing pain in her hand told her that it had. An involuntary scream escaped but she wasn’t done yet. She used the last of her adrenaline to shoot her leg into the air and kick the gun out of a very shocked Mira’s hand.

 

Micha could feel everyone’s eyes on her and she hoped that they had called the ambulance before she saved Sehun’s life because no one would want to save her now. Not now that they knew who she was. She was magnetic; she was one of Them.

All that was left to do was to let the world go black.