santa can you hear me?

My Only Wish

 

Kangin had been looking at Donghae with a concerned expression on his face, especially after seeing Donghae’s score in their Algebra midterms. How could someone who just failed their midterms and perhaps be on the blacklist be so happy? Unable to bear Donghae’s giggling, Kangin pushed him and almost off his seat but enough to snap him back to reality.

 

“Yah! What are you giggling there about? Are you happy that you failed?” he said, his brows knitted.

“It’s really a bummer that I still failed after all that studying but…”

“But what? Hurry up before I lost my patience with you.”

“It’s almost Christmas hyung, and I’ve been really good this year. Now Santa’s surely going to grant my wish!” Donghae finished with a big grin.

 

He looked so innocent that Kangin thought twice of smacking him but instead scratched the side of his face although he didn’t feel an itch.

“You still believe in Santa? What are you, seven?” and it took a lot of self-restraint to just ask.

“No one’s too old or too young for Santa.” Donghae pouted.

Kangin was about to rationalize when a pair of arms wrap around his neck, with a pink baller bracelet at the left wrist. Kangin turned around and automatically kissed the owner of the arms at the cheek and earned himself a tight, warm embrace. Donghae pouted more at the sight of their public display of affection.

“Are you going to argue with someone who believes aliens exist among us?” Sungmin asked his lover.

“Fine, let’s say Santa is real, what is this wish you’ve been wanting that you’re giggling like an idiot over your failed Algebra exam, hmm?”

“Santa is real! Well… I want… all I really want…” Donghae murmured, looking at the couple uneasily. When his eyes wandered outside the restaurant he saw more couples snuggling at each other, arms around each other, smiling, laughing, kissing, teasing at each other then he glanced back at his hyung and his lover waiting expectantly at him.

“A spaceship?” Kangin suggested uninterestedly.

“No. I just want…” and Donghae started to feel awkward and embarrass. “Ah, forget it! It’s only between me and Santa it’s in my letter… ! I left it at school!?!” and Donghae dashed out without even saying goodbye to them. Sungmin laughed heartily the moment Donghae left.

 

“Awww… Donghae is so cute and pure. Did you see his ears flashing red?” Sungmin said.

“Stupid, with him watching those couples outside like a stalker it was too obvious what he wants.”

“Don’t be a grouch. He must really want a lover to be envious of others.”

Then as if a light bulb flicked inside his mind, Sungmin grasped Kangin’s hand and looked at Kangin excitedly, a certain look Kangin didn’t like but has no power to repel it. Towards Sungmin, he was vulnerable.

 

***

Yesung had just finish band practice and went back to the classroom to take something he forgot. But something beneath one of the desks was a piece of envelope, with his curiosity taking the most of him he crouched down to pick it up.

 

Donghae was almost out of breath when he reached the classroom and was taken aback when he found Yesung inside… with his letter in his hand! Donghae attempted to run and grab the envelope but Yesung had read his moves and evaded. Donghae flailed his arms everywhere but couldn’t reach the envelope, Yesung was holding him back.

 

“Give it back! Please! It’s important that I mail it right away!” Donghae wailed.

“To the North Pole? Seriously?” Yesung said, chuckling.

“Just hand it over Yesung!” Donghae ordered, placing his palm in front, he was more embarrassed now than when he was about to disclose his greatest desire to his hyung. Yesung sighed deeply. He liked teasing Donghae but not to make him cry, what if he tells on his brother? Kangin is really scary with the exception of his boyfriend, the menacing tiger suddenly becomes a domesticated kitty.

“Ask politely.”

“Excuse me?”

“Ask me again for the letter politely, then I’ll give it to you.” He said with a roll of his eyes.

“Oh! Then, could you please give me back my letter? It is imperative that I mail it. It’s very important to me.” Donghae asked, no trace of sadness or annoyance in his face instead there was a big, cheerful smile. Yesung scratched his nape and let the letter fall unto Donghae’s palm then walked out with his belongings.

 

***

On Christmas eve, Donghae was even bubblier than usual. He was so excited for the party his school prepared, other than it would be the night that Santa would give him his gift. But he had been stricken by the flu and was forced to stay at home where he stayed glued on the couch, scowling at the merry Christmas shows and events on television. He wanted to be part of that celebration as well, his brother has even abandoned him for some happy time.

 

He vowed to stay up late until Santa arrives with his present but at eleven o’clock pm, his medications took its effect on him and he slept like a baby.

 

Donghae was startled awake by a loud bump. His eyes darted towards the wall clock, it was half pass three. He shifted his excited eyes towards the Christmas tree but there were no presents below it, beside it or anywhere near it besides the gift they bought for their selves. Disappointed at Santa, Donghae retreated to his room.

 

“And I have been so good this year! I let hyung abuse me without taking revenge, I didn’t cheat on that exam even though it was so hard…” and on and on did Donghae complained while rubbing his eyes, his pride wouldn’t want him to cry, it was already hurt when Santa did not come. He flopped on his bed – “Oofff!” came a muffled sound. Donghae jumped up and turned. His jaw fell open, his hand pointing, shaking.

 

“Wh-Wh-what are you doing here?!” Donghae stammered.

Yesung was sitting on his bed, cross-legged, and hands, feet and mouth tied up. He was fidgeting around and making muffled sounds.

“Oh wait… forgot you can’t talk.” Donghae said and hunched over to untie the cloth around Yesung’s mouth and the ropes binding Yesung’s hands and feet. Donghae turned the desk lamp on then stood inches away from Yesung, just near enough the door if the situation calls for it. Donghae can’t help but do a head-to-toe appraisal of the person still sitting cross-legged but this time comfortably on his bed.

 

Yesung’s hair was slightly messed up, heavy dark eyeliner on both eyes, silver, cross earrings, and dark, punk wardrobe even his socks were black. So whoever kidnapped Yesung had the decency to take off his shoes before dropping him off in Donghae’s room. The thought of him and Yesung alone in his room made Donghae cough involuntarily until it was followed by a series of dry coughs.

 

“I heard you’ve been sick. That .” Yesung muttered.

“Did the party at school end already? Stupid, of course it did, what I meant was, how was it?”

“That was entertaining.” Yesung said after watching Donghae hit himself for asking the wrong question. “Anyway, if you stop distracting me I’ll answer your questions.” Yesung shifted as he massaged the mark left on his hands that’s beginning to sore.

“First, I have no idea how I got here. Whether I was drugged or hit, I don’t know all I know is that when I came to, I wasn’t backstage anymore. Hmmm… nothing but the rope marks hurt so I guess I was drugged. Second, because I was kidnapped I don’t know what’s happened at the party except the first half was awesome, of course it was because of Old is Gold.”

“Ah, I see.”

“Hmmm… you’ve actually endured your brother’s harassments and everything else you were blabbering just to get what you want for Christmas?”

“Oh that… pfftt... of course not, I was just… whining.”

Yesung was staring at Donghae, with amused eyes and a smirk, leaning his head on his propped hand. Donghae was beginning to feel uneasy, he wanted to run. All his nervousness was putting pressure on his lungs that a series of cough came out.

 

Donghae didn’t know if it was him getting out of balance and falling or gravity pulling him but he landed on his soft bed and a pair of soft, sweet lips ceased his coughing. It was then he realized it was Yesung pulling him and now straddling on him.

“Are you crazy? You’ll get infected by my cough.” Donghae was blushing mad.

“I don’t believe in Santa but someone else must’ve read your letter and took all the trouble to wrap me for you… if you’re looking for the red bow and gift tag, you squished it and there’s no way I’d wear such cheap things again.” Yesung was pushing against Donghae, towering over him, concealing the blush tainting his cheeks. “I thought you want me so much that you’re being extremely good all year?”

“Yeah… but you’ll catch my colds… and also…”

“Also what?!”

“I want you to be mine, I want you to hold me and I want to do all those lovey-dovey things couples do! But I don’t want to force you… I don’t want it if it’s only a one-time thing.” Donghae bit his lower lip and looked at anywhere but Yesung. With a soft smile, Yesung lowered himself and embraced Donghae tightly but carefully.

“Stupid, Santa never gives gifts for one-time use only unless you break it. I’ll hold you until you’ll get tired of me. I’ll kiss you even when there’s no mistletoe. I just wished you wished sooner though.”

 

***

Dear Santa,

See I’ve been really, REALLY, extremely good this year! I might even be in your Top 3 Nice Kids List =D

There’s really nothing else I wanted as much as this. Please I want someone to love me, someone to hold. Someone to call mine. I really envy those other couples, and I feel left out when everyone around goes kissing each other whenever they see the mistletoe >.<  Please can you give me the vocalist of Old is Gold? I really don’t need to say it out, right? He has been my classmate all throughout high school, he owns a very wonderful voice, he usually wears earrings even if it’s not allowed. He’s all I really want in a big red bow ahahaha… but seriously, that’s my only wish this year… hoping for more would be abusive right?

Donghae <3

 

“Wow! Kangin, how did you know it was that vocalist Yesung?” Sungmin asked as they strolled the park hand in hand, waiting for the fireworks. Despite the cold weather, Kangin had been sweating.

“How could I not, that’s almost all he talks about at home and even gawks at him at school, it’s amazing he was being discreet about it. Man, that Yesung sure is heavy.”

“Awwww… I know you’re tired being Santa but I’m really proud of you! And because of that I’m giving you one wish.”

“Service me.”

“Yah!” Sungmin punched Kangin on the arm. But he didn’t say he was complaining.

 

THE END