— TEASER ONE

REVERIE  \  waking up...

 

 

HOVER FOR WARNINGS
pull
pull
Jinyoung threads long fingers through Jaebum's hair, as the older boy rests his head in Jinyoung's lap. Sweat slides between his shoulder blades. The air conditioner thrums with life. It's unbearably hot, but Jaebum is content.

This is one of his favorite memories.

He isn't really paying attention to the book Jinyoung is reading to him. Syllables and words go in one ear and out the other. Jaebum focuses only on the soothing voice, pitch rising and falling depending on the paragraph. His eyes begin to droop, his breathing becomes deep, when Jinyoung jolts.

Jaebum is alert in an instant. "What happened?" he asks, sitting up.

Jinyoung's cheeks have tinged pink. "Oh, just a line I read."

"Let's hear it." Jaebum shifts, sitting so he's cross-legged facing Jinyoung.

There's a small smile on the younger's face as his eyes dart back to the book. "My soul sees its equal in you."

Jaebum grins back, even wider. He opens his mouth to reply, when the dream shifts.

His surroundings are stark white, and fluorescent lights swing above him. The scent of saline and Clorox is pungent.

The woman is trembling. Beads of sweat glide down the side of her face. Her gaze flits back and forth between them—Jaebum, Jinyoung, Jaebum, Jinyoung.

Jinyoung gives a minuscule nod, detectable only by Jaebum's trained eye. Jaebum steps forward, taking the woman's hands in his own, and wills himself to look as earnest as possible. "Please, Jinhee-ssi. You have to understand. This..." He curves his back, drawing his eye level down to hers. "Telling me this could save a lot of people. Think of all their families, what the workers have to bring back to them."

There are tears now, and she breaks down in sobs. "Alright, alright." The woman kneels on the linoleum floor. "I did it. I did it, I took the papers, I wanted it all for myself."

Jaebum kneels down with her, placing a steady hand on her shoulder. "Thank you."

The kick comes, sending them all flying backwards, and the dream shifts again.

The conference room is dim. Jaebum has been here before.

There is shouting, and people are struggling, but he doesn't want to hear any of it. He pulls the stopwatch from his pocket, clicks the top with a shaky hand, and after two minutes, bile rises in his throat.

Someone is screaming his name. Jaebum grabs the handgun, presses it to his temple, and pulls.
AUTHOR'S NOTE im sorry my jj project heart couldn't help it LOL. hope this doesn't make yall uncomfortable. for what it's worth, i'm trying to depict them as inseparable friends who are perfect complements to each other, especially in jobs.

that line jinyoung reads is from The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh—one of my favorites, btw. hopefully this is an interesting teaser!! leave your critiques, comments, etc below. if you'd like to alter ur app after reading this go ahead and feel free to, just let me know. tysm for dreaming w me!