Caffeine (Cross Gene | Sangmin)

Drowninginbiases' oneshots and scenarios!

tumblr_inline_o98v0cOAfd1u86xu8_540.png

---

A/N Because I felt inspired, you can both read this as an addition to 'starlight', as well as a stand alone story. Several of the details match up, but not in such a way that you need to have read one, to understand the other.Anyways, enjoy!

---

Sipping your coffee, you open up your laptop. You like Tuesdays. Thursdays as well, but that was not important right now, today being a Tuesday.

The reason you like Tuesday and Thursday was because they are nice and quiet. Your mornings off allow you to spend some time in your favorite coffee place and have some time to yourself.

Your roommate can drive you crazy at times, so you cherish these moments.

 

But your quiet time doesn’t last long. Apparently there’s an event in town, and the normally peaceful cafe is filled with patrons. You don’t notice until someone taps your shoulder, asking if they can take the seat across from you.

 

“Is this seat taken?”

 

Taking off your headphones, you look around. The cafe is packed, and every table is full.

The man in front of you gives you a questioning look, patiently waiting for your answer.

 

“No, it’s empty. Go ahead, take a seat.”

 

The man nods politely in gratitude before sitting down. You go back to doing your thing on your laptop, but it’s not long before you’re distracted again. Due to the large amount of customers, the waitresses are all over the place, taking orders left and right. The man in front of you has been trying to get their attention, but has failed so far.

 

“Are you trying to order?” You find yourself asking. It surprises you too. Normally you wouldn’t be offering your help like this, but there is just something about him that makes you want to help him.

 

“Who, me?” He looks at you, slightly confused.

 

“No hello kitty. Of course I meant you! There is nobody else at this table.”

 

He is slightly startled by your sarcasm but eventually answers your question.

“Yeah, been trying for a while now.”

 

You put up your hand, waving at one of the waitresses.

“Si Yeon, over here!”

 

Being a regular means you get to know the staff, and that is working in your advantage now. She puts her thumb up, letting you know she heard you before going back to taking the order of the people in front of you.
There is an awkward silence as the two of you wait for Si Yeon to take your order.

 

A few minutes later, she comes over, looking at you as she asks “You wanted to order?”

 

You gesture at the man in front of you. “Actually, he wanted to order. But since you’re here, I’ll just have the usual.”

 

Si Yeon nods, penning down your order before turning to the man to take his order.

 

“I'll have an iced americano. “

 

Si Yeon writes down his order before walking away. You just give him a weird look. It's the middle of winter and he just ordered an iced americano.

He notices your look and gives you a small smile, before turning his attention to his ringing phone.

 

“Hello?”

---

 

It's a week later and you're on your laptop, like you usually are, when the coffee place gets crowded once again. Someone waves their hand up and down in front of your face, and you look up.

It's the same guy from last week.

 

“Oh hey, it's you again?”

 

He cracks a smile as he gestures to the seat in front of you.

 

“Can I..?”

 

You reach over to grab your bag from the seat, assuming this is enough of an answer to the man.

He understands the gesture and sits down across from you.

 

You look around and you lock eyes with Si Yeon a few tables over. She holds up her notepad and you give her an ‘okay’ gesture in return. She then proceeds to point across from you, once again holding up her notepad.

This time it's the mans turn to give you a weird look.

 

“Did you want another americano?”

 

Hesitantly, he nods, and you give her another ‘okay’ sign.

She nods, scribbles in her notepad and moves to the next table.

 

“What was that?”

 

You shrug.

“We developed a code for days like this. Since I'm a regular that usually orders the same thing, she just holds up her notepad to ask if I want the usual.

She usually remembers every standard order her clients make, and since this is the second time we meet like this, she just wanted to know if you wanted the same thing you had last time.”

 

His face clears in understanding. “Ah, like that. But how did you remember?”

 

“You're the one that ordered an iced americano in the middle of winter.”

 

“You got me there.”

 

---

It's the third tuesday in a row. By now you have learned that every tuesday and wednesday, for the upcoming weeks, there are special auditions for several agencies and people are just dying to get a shot at fame.

The coffee place is calm right now, but yet the same man drops down in the seat opposite of yours.

 

The both of you are busy on your phones when he suddenly speaks up.

 

“Sangmin.”

 

You look up from your phone, confused about what he just said.

 

“Huh?”

 

“My name. It's Sangmin.”

 

“Oh. Uh. Okay? Why are you telling me your name all of a sudden?”

 

He shrugs, giving Si Yeon the ‘okay’ sign on your usual orders.

 

“Dunno. Felt like we should at least exchange names if we are going to keep meeting like this.”

 

You put down your phone, giving him a critical once over. A proper one this time, not the short  glances you've exchanged over the past few weeks.

He doesn't look like the type to joke around about things like this, but you also know that appearance isn't everything.

 

“If you say so.”

 

“This is the part where you tell me your name.”

 

“What if I don't want to?”

 

Si Yeon chooses that moment to bring your coffees.

 

“Oh come on, I told you my name?”

Sangmin pouts as Si Yeon puts down his iced americano.

 

“So? Doesn't necessarily mean I have to tell you mine.”

 

“It's y/n” Si Yeon says as she puts down your coffee in front of you.

 

You send her a glare.

“Yah, who's side are you on anyways? “

 

She shrugs.

“The side that wants you to make more friends.”

 

“I have enough friends!”

 

Si Yeon pats your head.

“The staff in this coffee place do not count. “

 

“I hate you.”

---

 

The 4th tuesday, Sangmin brings a friend. A japanese guy called Takuya, with a distinct mark on his chin. You have to try hard not to stare at it as Sangmin introduces the two of you.

You both bow politely at each other, before Sangmin launches into some story that involves 2 guys called Yongseok and Casper, and how their behavior has him on edge sometimes.

 

Trying to tune him out, you focus on the report in your hands, scanning through it. Despite your efforts, you still hear bits and pieces of their conversation. Apparently, the two guys are their friends. They are also in a relationship and despite that their lovey-dovey behavior drives Sangmin crazy sometimes, he is happy for them.

 

Those are the things that stand out to you as you take a marker, highlighting certain parts in the report.

You didn’t bring your laptop today because your roommate borrowed it, but you do just fine with paper and a highlighter.

 

After Sangmins rant, you manage to finally tune him out as they talk about other things.

 

Si Yeon comes by once to take their orders, looking very interested in Takuya, despite already having a boyfriend of her own. You can’t blame her. He is simply a very attractive man.

And tall too, you notice when he gets up.

 

“Where are you going?”

Sangmin looks a little sad as he notices his friend getting ready to leave.

 

“Didn’t I tell you? I have other plans.”

Takuya half evades the question while putting on his coat. Something is up, because his japanese accent was a little stronger in those words than it had been the entire conversation.

“Anyway, bye!”

 

He waves at the two of you before picking up his bag.

 

“Is it a date with Jae Joon?” Sangmin teases.

 

Takuya doesn’t answer, blushing slightly as he makes his way out of the cafe.

 

“He is so easy to tease.” Sangmin grins as if he is pleased with himself.

 

You’re packing your files in your bag, having other appointments as well today. Sangmin gives you the same sad look he gave Takuya.

 

“You’re leaving as well.”

 

It’s more of a statement, rather than a question. You only nod in response. Why is he spending this time with you? The first 2 times were because the cafe was way too crowded and he needed a place to sit. The third time, you tolerated him because the cafe got busy soon after. But it’s the fourth tuesday in a row, and honestly, he is acting too familiar with you. Too familiar for your liking.

 

“Yeah, got an appointment.” For some reason you decide to answer the question anyway.

 

“See you next week!”

Pretending you didn’t hear that, you walk away. No need to get overly familiar.

 

---

 

The fifth tuesday has you leaving the coffee place for yet, another appointment, when Sangmin comes walking in.

 

“Leaving so soon, y/n?”

 

While you nod, the take away coffee suddenly weighs heavier in your hand. Time tells that you should really get a move on, if you want to get to your appointment on time.

Bowing politely at him, you leave. You think you hear him mumble “Do you really not know who I am?”, though you’re not sure. All that you know is that you hear some girls squeel and surround him.

But you don’t pay attention to it, hurrying towards your appointment.

 

---

 

The sixth tuesday has you feverishly typing away on a report on your laptop while the shop fills up again. It’s the first 2 tuesdays of meeting Sangmin all over again.

You are aware it’s busy, but otherwise you are oblivious to your surroundings.

That is, until a cup is set down next to you, capturing your attention. Upon better inspection, you find that it’s your usual order.

 

“My eyes are up here you know.”

 

Looking up, you see Sangmin taking his usual spot across from you with an iced americano.

 

“And my report, that is due thursday is here, you know?” is your answer, as you point at your screen.

 

He leans over, closing your laptop.

“That means you have tomorrow to finish it.”

 

The attempt to reopen your laptop is being blocked by him.

You sigh in response, wrapping your hands around your drink. “Why are you doing this?”

 

“I just want to get to know you.”

 

---

 

In the end, you do end up talking with him. Well, he does most of the talking. You are still hesitant about opening up, though you must admit that he is very pleasant to talk to.

The weird thing is only that when you come back from a toilet break, he is gone, the only thing left being a note that simply says sorry.

Si Yeon only knows that he suddenly left, surrounded by a pack of girls and asked her to keep an eye on your stuff.

It seems odd, but you manage to shrug it off. There is probably a good reason.

 

---

 

The seventh tuesday has you finishing up another report, with an iced americano placed on the other side of the table, meant for Sangmin.

Like clockwork, he shows up at the same time he always does, but he looks a bit more tense as he takes a seat opposite of you, pleasantly surprised by the coffee he finds there.

 

“Is this for me?”

 

“No. I got your regular order and then set it on the opposite end of the table to let it breathe.”

 

A smile finally breaks through on his face.

“You know, I can think of a drink, much better suited for you than your regular order.”

 

You finish your report and save it, before closing your laptop.

“And what would that be?”

 

“An espresso.”

 

“What? Why would an espresso even suit me?”

 

“Because you're also small and bitter.”

 

A small smile appears on your face before you hit his arm. “Yah, you wanna die?”

 

His smile widens. “I finally got you smiling!”

 

You hit his arm again in a playful way. His persistence certainly had you opening up to him a little. But he does not react.

Instead, his expression stiffens and he hastily gets up, apologizing while he puts on his coat. He says a quick goodbye ans before you can say anything he is out the door. A group of girls follow closely, chatting about ‘Sangmin oppa’

 

Was he running from those girls? Who knows. Might just be.

 

It puzzles you, and as you stare at the door, a buzzing noise catches your attention.


 

CHAT: AUDITIONS START AT 11 BE THERE AT 10:45 (YES YOU SANGMIN)

 

from: SeyJon Snow

22122015 10:43 (KST)

SANGMIN WE HAVE AUDITIONS TO JUDGE AT 11 DON’T FORGET

 

from: TaTaku

22122015 10:43 (KST)

SANGMIN WHERE ARE YOU

 

from: SeyJon Snow

22122015 10:44 (KST)

I SWEAR IF YOU’RE AT THAT COFFEE PLACE AGAIN I WILL COME AND DRAG YOU HERE MYSELF

 

from: Seoksper 4eva <3

22122015 10:45 (KST)

Hyung, is that you running from those fangirls?

 

from: TaTaku

22122015 10:45 (KST)

Casper, the fans would like to see our interactions online.

 

22122015 10:45 (KST)

How can we ever post screenshots without leaking out your relationship?  Why is this your username?

 

from: Casseok 4lyf <3

22122015 10:46 (KST)

Because it matches mine.

 

from: Shinderella

22122015 10:47 (KST)

Oh. My… I’m not even going to finish this sentence.

 

22122015 10:47 (KST)

Sangmin, if you’re done being chased by fangirls, please do something about it.


 

from: SangMinnie Mouse

22122015 10:48 (KST)

NEW VOICE MESSAGE

 

from: SeyJon Snow

22122015 10:49 (KST)

Sangmin. Where are you? What are you doing? And why is this girl saying we’re weird?

 

from: Seoksper 4eva <3

22122015 10:49 (KST)

Well you are trying to make a GOT reference with your name

 

from: Shinderella

22122015 10:50 (KST)

YOU’RE THE ONE WITH THE CHEESY COUPLE NAME

 

from: SangMinnie Mouse

22122015 10:50 (KST)

. I recorded on accident

 

22122015 10:50 (KST)

Sangmin left his phone behind running from those fangirls.

 

from: Casseok 4lyf <3

22122015 10:51 (KST)

So… you’re not Sangmin?

 

from: SangMinnieMouse

22122015 10:51 (KST)

nope.

 

22122015 10:51 (KST)

Also, Casper, Seok (or whatever your names are), those couple names are gross.

 

from: Shinderella

22122015 10:52 (KST)

See! Even the stranger thinks it’s gross!

 

from: SangMinnieMouse

22122015 10:52 (KST)

So are you guys like.. kinda famous?

 

from: Casseok 4lyf

22122015 10:52 (KST)

Kinda?

 

from: SangMinnieMouse

22122015 10:53 (KST)

Okay I might not know who you are but I swear guys, if you don’t change those usernames, I’ll put screenshots on the internet.

 

22122015 10:53 (KST)

There’s probably enough people on the internet that will recognize you, even from nicknames.

 

from: Caspers Ghost

22122015 10:54 (KST)

OKAY FINE PLEASE DON’T EXPOSE US

 

from: Young Sock’

22122015 10:54 (KST)

Better?

 

from: SangMinnieMouse

22122015 10:55 (KST)

Yes, alot better

 

221222015 10:55 (KST)

Just… Tell Sangmin that I’ll be at the cafe till 3

 

22122015 10:55 (KST)

After that I’ll leave his phone with the staff

 

22122015 10:56 (KST)

It’s almost 11 so good luck with whatever auditions.

 

from: TaTaki

22122015 10:58 (KST)

Thanks y/n

---

 

It’s 2:30pm, and you’re talking to your roommate when a man stops in front of your table.

“y/n? Sangmin, Takuya and the staff here told me you are the one Sangmin was with before he accidentally left his phone behind?”

 

Your roommate gasps at the sight of the man before you. You just nod as you pull out the phone from your bag, handing it over.

 

“Here is his phone. Why isn’t he coming to pick it up himself?”

 

The man inspects the phone, satisfied that it’s not broken in any way.

 

“Because of the fangirls. Speaking of which, I have to leave before they find me too.”

He holds out his phone to you, and you frown.

 

“Why are you holding out your phone to me?”

 

“Can you put in your contact info, just in case? Like when screenshots do leak and stuff, we know how to reach you.”

 

You shrug, quickly filling out the fields he asks you to fill. Next to you, your roommate can't stop staring at the man who is waiting for you to fill in your contact information.

 

Once you're done, you hand him back his phone. Just as he turns to leave, your roommate can't keep quiet anymore.

 

“Shin? Can i have your autograph?”

 

---

 

After the phone incident, you don't see Sangmin again. It's weird, but you kind of miss his company. At first you were annoyed with his presence and now you were missing him. Once again, Sangmin had you surprising yourself.

 

The rest doesn't contact you either, but you expected nothing less. You did not leak any private information, so there is no reason to try and reach you.

 

Auditions ended the day after Sangmin forgot his phone and Shin picked it up, so the cafe is quiter than ever.

Christmas and new years pass without a hitch and before you know it, it's the second week of January already.

It's thursday and you are in the cafe again when your phone buzzes.

 

By now you have given up hope on contact from Cross Gene. Yes, after that day in the cafe your roommate wouldn’t shut up about the encounter with Shin, and by now, you were pretty sure you knew all there was to know about them. That’s how much your roommate talked about them afterwards.

 

from: S(h)innamon bun

07012016 09:26 (KST)

Y/n?

 

from: Smol Espresso

07012016 09:32 (KST)

New phone, who dis?

 

from: S(h)innamon bun

07012016 09:33 (KST)

Haha, very funny.

 

from: Smol Espresso

07012016 09:33 (KST)

I am not kidding tho. Who dis?

 

from: S(h)innamon bun

07012016 09:33 (KST)

It's Shin. We met before, remember?

 

from: Smol Espresso

07012016 09:34 (KST)

Oh sorry. I honestly didn't expect you guys to ever contact me at all anymore

 

07012016 09:36 (KST)

Did Sangmin tell you to do this?

 

from: S(h)innamon bun

07012016 09:38 (KST)

He doesn’t know I’m doing this.

 

07012016 09:39 (KST)

Look. Y/n, can we talk?

 

---

 

Nervous, you adjust your collar again. It's tuesday and you're waiting in another coffee place on the other side of town. Shin is sitting in the booth behind you, incognito.

Surprisingly, he has brought Takuya along. Even more surprisingly, they have confessed to you that they are dating.

So Takuya was never dating Lee Jae Joon after all.

 

Apparently, despite the fact that Sangmin has met you in a coffee shop and that both Shin and Takuya have only met you once before, they seem to trust you. Enough to even tell you that, unbeknownst to the public, Seyoung is now dating a foreign girl, making Sangmin the only single member.

Suddenly, Shin taps your shoulder, showing a conversation between him and Sangmin.

 

from: Sangerine

12012016 11:47 (KST)

Already almost there. Might be a bit early.

 

12012016 11:47 (KST)

Do you mind?

 

from: S(h)innamon bun

12012016 11:48 (KST)

Nah, I’m already there anyways

 

1201016 11:48 (KST)

Need me to order for you?

 

from: Sangerine

12012016 11:49 (KST)

Iced americano. Extra shot espresso.

 

Shin gives you an encouraging nod and pushes you out of your booth towards the counter. You get the hint and order coffee for both you and Sangmin. Just as you are waiting for them to finish your orders, the door opens.

 

“Iced americano, extra shot espresso for... Sangmin?”

 

The man in question comes walking towards the counter to pick up the coffee, not even sparing you a glance as his eyes roam through the coffee place, trying to find Shin.

He and Takuya are hiding in one of the darkest corners of the shop, but if he does not recognize you quickly enough Shin’s cover might be blown and the plan will have failed.

 

Just as you wonder how to approach him, the barista turns out to be your savior.as he calls out your order. It’s your regular order at your regular coffee place. Sangmin is bound to recognize it.

And he seems alerted by your order being called out, especially when they call your name to go with it.

 

You collect your coffee from the barista, unsure of what to.

 

And then, like it’s slowmotion, Sangmin turns around.

 

“It’s really you.”

 

The comment makes you roll your eyes.

“Who else did you expect? Santa Claus, because then you’re a few weeks too late.”

 

“I thought I’d never get to hear your sarcasm again.”

 

Again, you roll your eyes as you sit down in a booth with him. Shin and Takuya leave their booth now that they’re out of Sangmins sight, Shin giving you a thumbs up before trailing behind his boyfriend.

“You’re not getting rid of me that easily.”

 

“Thanks to that sneaky bastard of a Shin. Guess I’ll have to thank him later.”

 

You point at the window behind Sangmin, where Shin and Takuya are, making funny faces.

“I think they already know”

 

He turns around, smiling widely at his bandmates, before turning his attention back to you.

“y/n?”

 

“yes?”

 

“How cheesy is it when I tell you that I would give up all the coffee in the world, just to be with you, because you’re my caffeine?”

 

It’s silent for a second, before you fake gag.

“So cheesy it makes me want to puke.”

 

Sangmin laughs as he takes your hand. “Then let me ask you another question. Are you willing to put up with that, in order to call me your boyfriend?”

 

Squeezing his hand, a blush creeps up your cheeks.

“Absolutely.”

 

“y/n?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“You’re my caffeine.”

 

“Gross.”