001

Meet you on the Edge

                “Haneul, could you come in here for a moment?”

                The girl sighed, bookmarking tabs of good looking apartments before placing the laptop on the desk and walking over to her mother’s study. Her mother was a stately woman, almost regal in the way she held herself. She always looked at a person with focused eyes that forced you to sit up straight and put your shoulders back. Even after living in a house with just the two of them for the past 13 years, Skye had never gotten fully used to it.

                She sat in the chair across the desk and waited patiently as her mother finished signing some kind of document and placing it in a pile with a bunch of others that all looked identical. Once satisfied, the eagle eyes her,

                “Your father has invited you to stay with him.” Straight to business then, well Skye was ok with that.

                “Not happening.” She replied, eyes not wavering.

                “Han-”

                “I’m getting my own place there even if I have to pay for it myself.”

                Skye was well used to these ‘debates’ with her mother, so she’d been building this argument for a while now just in case this came up. There was a brief staring contest as the two women waited for one to back down, and Skye internally cheered when her mother let out a sigh,

                “Go on then, what are your reasons?”

                Strict though she may be, Skye had to admit that her mother always gave her the option to fight for what she wanted.

                “First, I haven’t seen dad in thirteen years, I was five last time we were all together. I’ve never even met his new family, I don’t feel comfortable staying with them. Second, I don’t have a driving license over there, so I want somewhere closer to the university.” Well, not entirely true. South Korea would temporarily recognise a Canadian license, but Skye was planning on using a license that her mother wasn’t entirely aware of. “Third, I’m fully capable of living by myself.”

                Her mother looked at her for a few moments, as if sizing up the argument and weighing it on that balancing scale in her mind. Then, “alright.”

                That… was easier than expected. Her mother’s lips twitched, barely visible but Skye knew that was pretty much a full on coat-hanger smile in her book, “if you want to take responsibility for your own life then I’m not one to stop you. Would you like to look for the apartment yourself?”

                The words hurried out of Skye’s mouth, “yeah, I’ve found some good ones already.”

                “Send me the links and I’ll get it taken care of. You’ve got enough to do over there without having to get a job to support yourself.”

                “Thanks, this means a lot.”

                “I suppose you’ll have to get used to being called Haneul again.” Skye knew what that subtle comment meant, the hidden message to leave this ‘Skye’ persona behind and take up the mantle of the respectable Park Haneul she was supposed to be. She only nodded, knowing that the argument there was a whole can of worms she would prefer not opening.   

 

 

__________________________________________________________

Hey!

So, to clear some things up: her official name is Park Haneul, but she prefers going by Skye (just want to make sure that’s crystal clear)

And prepare to learn about Canadian culture! Our darling Skye is FROM CANADA, and therefore will be bringing pieces of it with her as she travels to Korea, fellow Canadians reading this, hope you enjoy them.

This will be a tad darker than FoS, it’s a bit more serious, more MONSTER than LUCKY ONE (and how epic are those songs, btw!! I can’t get over the beat to Lucky one. I saw the MV for Monster and almost died because the Sehun there is the Sehun this story will be using!!)

(Also, to those of you who wanted to vote for Baek for this, I’ll admit he was not anywhere near my bias list before, but I watched him singing Lucky One, and he’s climbing the ladder very quickly, so I may have to tweak his role in this fic, just a little ;) )