The Two Girls

The Red String

"An invisible red thread connects two people who are destined to be together, the moment they are born. The string can be strecthed or tangled, but it can never break."

 

 

 

Choi Hyojung has known about the red string attached to her left pinkie for as long as she could remember. She would often stare at her pinkie, the thread wrapped around her little finger and never leaving. She once told her parents about the string when she was young.

 

"Mommy? Daddy?"

 

"Yes dear?" They both replied.

 

"How come there's a red string wrapped around tiny finger?" She showed her parents her pinkie with a look of confusion. Her mother knelt down to the toddler's level and 'examined' her finger.

 

"Does it lead to nowhere?" the mother asked. Hyojung nodded her head. Her mother smiled gently. "There is a legend called the Red String of Fate, which says that this red string leads to your soulmate." The girl gasped and stared at her pinkie.

 

"Really?" Her mother nodded her head. Hyojung smiled. "My soulmate~" she said happily to herself.

 

She hasn't spoken to anyone, other than her best friend, Hyejin, about her string since. She thought it would be difficult to explain that there was a red string always attached to her pinkie that no one else could see but herself.

 

Kim Jiho, on the otherhand, dealt with the red string of fate a little differently. She couldn't see other people's strings until she hit puberty. From then on, any time she looked at someone, their red string would appear and would disappear when she looked away. At first, she was excited that she could see everyone's string, knowing if they'd be a happy couple or break up. But, she learned it that hard way when looking at her parent's strings. She hoped to see them attached to each other, but they weren't.

 

"My darling. You look so beautiful today," Mr. Kim said to his wife. Mrs. Kim smiled and kissed her husband, complimenting him back. An eleven year old Jiho looked upon her parents sadly, knowing that they weren't meant to be.

 

"Are you okay, Jiho?" her mother asked. Jiho snapped into reality and faked a smile.

 

"Everything's fine, eomma." Though in her heart, she knew she it wasn't. Once, on "Take Your Daughter to Work Day," Jiho's father took her to his office. After introducing her to his collegues, one woman in her mid-twenties walked up to say hello.

 

"Jiho, this is Ms. Lee. She's my secretary." Jiho stared at her finger and gasped internally: her string was attached to her father's. Her heart broke at the sight. She excused herself to the bathroom and didn't come out for another hour, crying.

 

Since then, she hated the red string of fate. Seeing happy couples who weren't meant for each other broke her heart and made her bitter. She never told anyone of her ability, feeling it wasn't her place to make or break a relationship. And yet, still she wondered, "Why can't I see mine?"

 

-----------

 

Jiho looked around the masses of teens being served food, searching for a place to sit, or chatting away with their friends. She gripped her lunch bag tightly. Red strings popped up everywhere, giving Jiho a slight headache. Her phone vibrated in her pocket, breaking her from her thoughts.

 

"How are you doing, honey?" Jiho's mother texted.

 

"I'm fine, eomma," Jiho replied and sighed.

 

"I know you don't like the move, but look on the bright side. It's a fresh new start." Her mother divorced her father after he got caught sleeping with his secretary. Ever since her parents divorced, Jiho started becoming more distant and less bubbly than she used to be. Her mother got custody of Jiho and Jiho had heard nothing from her father since then. Even though he tried to contact Jiho, the latter wouldn't speak to him.

 

"I'll be there to pick you up after school. Have fun, sunshine~" Jiho gave a little smile.

 

"TTYL, eomma." She breathed in and out and went to find a seat. She found an empty corner and decided to sit there. She didn't care what sort of stares she was getting. She just cared that she could eat her food in peace.

 

"Hello!" Jiho looked up and saw a girl with soft features and bright smile looking down at her. "Are you new here?" Jiho nodded slowly, unsure of the current situation she was in.

 

"My name is Bae Yoobin, but most of my friends call me Binnie." She plopped herself next to Jiho. "What's your name?"

 

"Kim Jiho."

 

"Would you like to sit with me and my friends?" Jiho sharply shook her head. "Aw come on~ They don't bite." Jiho went back to eating her lunch, ignoring the girl's plea. "Alright then." Jiho sighed, hoping this would be the end of the conversation. "I guess I'll just sit here then!" Jiho looked at the girl with a confused look, but then accepted it, seeing as she wouldn't be leaving.

 

Meanwhile...

 

"You're staring at your string again, aren't you?" Hyojung looked up to Hyejin who was shifting her eyes between Hyojung and said girls' pinkie. Hyojung sighed, realizing she was staring at her pinkie. Currently, the girls were in the school cafeteria eating lunch.

 

"Sorry," Hyojung apologized cutely. Her friends rolled their eyes. "I can't help it, you know. It's a constant string attached to my finger."

 

"I know, but you don't need to look at it ALL THE TIME," Hyejin said. "I mean, I still exist and like talking to you." Hyejin poked Hyojung's side for emphasis. Both girls giggled. Just then, Hyojung's red string pulled.

 

"Yah," Hyojung winced.

 

"What's wrong?" Hyejin asked.

 

"My string has been pulling a little recently and I can't figure out why."

 

"Could it be that your soulmate is near? I heard something about on the internet. "When your soulmate is near, the string will pull you toward them"," Hyejin inquired. Hyojung gave the younger a skeptical look.

 

"You really trust the internet with this sort of thing?" Hyojung asked.

 

"The internet can sometimes be the best place to find info." Hyejin meronged Hyojung, which the latter copied. The bell for then end of lunch rang, signalling students to head to their next class.

 

After school ended, teens scrambled to get where they needed to be. Hyojung happily walked out of the school with a bright smile on her face. She waved goodbye to her friends and started walking down the street. Jiho walked out a little later and saw that her mother was waiting for her. She smiled as she walked toward the car.

 

"How was you day today, Jiho?" Jiho stared outside the window and watched as trees swiftly went by in a green blur.

 

"It was okay. I made a friend." Ms. Kim smiled at her daughter. The car passed by Hyojung and both girls felt a sudden pulse on their left hand. Hyojung looked at her string, noticing it was tight on her pinkie, while Jiho was completely confused.

 

"What just happened?" They both said.

 

----------

Hello, my lovely readers and writers! How did you like this so far? I'm so excited for this story and am intrigued myself on how it will go. More characters will be added as the story progresses. Also, can anyone tell me what Hyojung and Jiho's ship name would be? I'm not entirely sure. Anyways~

Subscribe, comment, and/or upvote if you liked it.

Love Ya! <3

Geeky