Fireworks

Summer Sparks
Please log in to read the full chapter

Can we talk?”

 

That would be Jinyoung. He stood by the door, watching as Aera stooped over the bed as she picked up the things she has laid down across the sheet, stuffing them in the usual summer-themed tote bag she carries around with her.

 

He felt conflicted as he stared at her back, half bare as she was wearing a halter, backless sundress over her two-piece bikini. If he could have things his way, he wouldn’t want her to be wearing her long hair in a bun, considering that it could have provided cover for her sun-kissed skin.

 

She stuffed a towel into her bag and turned to face him. She grinned at him and slung her bag over her shoulder. Jinyoung was surprised. Aera is either a very good actress or a numb potato. Not even a single hint of awkwardness registered on her face. She acted as if nothing happened when he tripped on every single word he addressed to her ever since the mid-summer beach party he organized as a part of his summer training at his father’s resort.

 

Since then, Jinyoung always had to gather his wits, or what’s left of it, whenever he needed to speak with her, and now that he had his together, he would arrive to her getting ready to leave for the day.

 

Aera approached him and patted his shoulder, straightening his collar before holding him at arm’s length to admire her handiwork. “There,” she said in that husky voice which made every single cell in Jinyoung’s body tingle. She smiled wider and he felt like the heavens just opened to admit him.

 

“Whatever are you gonna do without me, kid?” Aera said with a snicker before walking past him as if she didn’t hear him say anything, but she paused by the small living room of the cottage which served as her quarters during the summer training. “Maybe tonight,” she said, answering his query. “I need to go.”

 

Jinyoung in air though his gritted teeth, watching as his chance goes down the drain. He pinched the bridge of his nose as he looked over his shoulder. “It’s your day off.” He turned around. “Where do you need to be right now?”

 

“I have several appointments.”

 

“That’s ridiculous.”

 

Aera laughed, feeling a pang of guilt eat through her when she saw the frustrated look on his face. “Fine. I just promised to tutor Kim Yugyeom. I need to be there in half an hour.”

 

“Yugyeom’s dad could get him a professor from Harvard if he wants to.” His brows are furrowed together as he said the words, knowing that the boy in question was just crushing on Aera and is making a way to spend time with her.

 

“I promised,” Aera snapped.

 

“And after that?” Jinyoung asked.

 

“I promised to help Jackson make lunch for his girlfriend. He’ll burn the kitchen down if I allow him to do that by himself. JB needs help painting the new shed so we could store the new surfboards before I go to Mark.”

 

Jinyoung almost did a double take when he heard the last name she mentioned. Mark Tuan. That foreign VIP tourist’s father does business with Jinyoung’s father and he chose to stay at their resort out of all the resorts he could go to in the world. Mark had been plucking at Jinyoung’s nerves ever since he came at the beginning of summer and started flirting with Aera, or probably ever since they were kids because Mark always takes whatever Jinyoung wanted.

 

It’s an unending cycle, and now it’s the attention of Jin Aera.

 

Her training pretty much turned into a summer getaway with Mark taking her for yacht rides and dates at the beach, making Jinyoung’s crew arrange ridiculous setups to woo her. Jinyoung couldn’t say anything about that since Aera pretty much just volunteered to go with him so he wouldn’t throw a fit about his father’s orders. She’s basically on vacation and he had no say in things where she is involved.

 

Mark Tuan just made his blood boil where Aera is concerned.

 

“Again?” He scoffed. “And when did that beefy dummy need help with painting a puny shed?” he demanded, referring to JB. The only person he wasn’t jealous of was Jackson, who had his eyes set on just one person since before summer.

 

Aera put on her sandals. “I promised,” she said with a laugh. “See you tonight, Jinyoung. Bye!” She hurried out the door and just like that, she’s gone, leaving him alone for the whole day.

 

**

 

Yugyeom shut the book he was studying, looking at his tutor through the fringe of brown hair that hung over his eyes. He folded his legs, hugging his knees to himself as he stared at the woman across him.

 

“Noona,” he began, his eyes narrowed.

 

Aera looked up from the activity she was checking. “Are you done reading?” she asked as if he was an afterthought, immediately concealing that with a charming smile. She knew just how Yugyeom hates it when he is disregarded.

 

Damned brat thinking he’s all mighty, she thought to herself as she set down the paper she was holding. She couldn’t blame him since he was showered with all the attention he wanted from the moment he was born. The perks of being the son of a rich tycoon.

 

“Are you a potato or something?” He rolled his eyes and glowered at her.

 

Surprised, Aera looked elsewhere and shook her head. “I…don’t know what you’re talking about. Are you okay?”

 

He laughed without humor. “Do you know why I called you here?” he demanded. “I mean, do you even have a clue why?”

 

“To tutor…” Upon seeing the disapproving look on the boy’s face, she shook her head. “You didn’t really want me to teach you, no?” She chuckled briefly. “Do you want to do something else?”

 

The diva kid made a face. “Yeah, I want to get ice cream with you and take a walk at the beach. Ugh! You’re so annoying!”

 

Taken aback, Aera straightened up and arched a brow at him. “What did I do?” she protested. “If you wanted ice cream then you should have just told me!”

 

“You’re a freak.” Yugyeom sighed letting up on the harsh look on his face. “I wanted to talk to you about something, but I think it isn’t my business.”

 

“So why are we talking about it?” she bit.

 

“Because you’re a stupid potato.”

 

“Is that any way to talk to your noona? Huh?” she scolded lightly, but in all honesty, she was already used to sassy Yugyeom. He’s probably the biggest brat she’s ever known and Mark only comes next.

 

Yugyeom sighed. “What’s with you and that Tuan guy? Are you dating?” His lower lip jutted out as he spoke.

 

Aera laughed heartily at his observation.

 

“It’s not funny!”

 

She shook her head. “No, we’re not. There’s nothing between us at all. He’s a good friend.”

 

“Since when?”

 

“Since I came here.”

 

“Ugh!” Yugyeom stood up. “You better get your act together. You’re hurting people, you know?”

 

Confusion set in. “What?”

 

Yugyeom rolled his eyes. “Stupid potato. Think about what I said. And here I am thinking you’re smarter than that.”

 

“I don’t understand,” Aera told him, frowning.

 

“You’re dismissed!” he said but instead of telling her to get the hell out, he walked out and left her.

 

***

 

Aera walked over to the beach, planning to show up for the painting job she has promised to help JB with, still brooding about the incident at Yugyeom’s summer house just a few hours ago. She doesn’t understand why he behaved the way he did when he always behaved like an obedient, lost puppy following her around, even pissing Mark one time when he tagged along with them for an afternoon cruise.

 

At least Jackson had been very friendly and exceptionally helpful. Though it was supposedly a date for him and his girlfriend, Tzuyu, he even invited her to join them and was honest that Aera did all the work. Tzuyu was really nice, too, and was thrilled by the fact that Jackson is behaving maturely and is learning to do something useful instead of just partying.

 

She was only a few paces from the shed when she felt a pair of strong muscular arms envelop her. The next thing she knew, she was spinning and screaming for her captor to put her down, the food she just ate for lunch threatening to show up in a not-so-pleasant state.

 

She felt the warm sand touch her feet as she was set down, only to come face to face with JB who was grinning happily at her, his eyes turning into inverted crescents as he chuckled. He bowed dramatically like and English noble and pointed towards the shack they were supposed to paint.

 

“Thank you for coming, my lady.”

 

Aera laughed at him and smacked him playfully on the shoulder. “Of course. I promised, didn’t I?” she said when she noticed that JB was looking over her shoulder and around as if there was something missing. “What is it?”

 

He tilted his head to the side, his crescent eyes becoming a little wider. “Nothing. Let’s start?” JB was not able to help it but ask what he wanted to eventually as they were doing their work. “Where is Jinyoung? He doesn’t seem to be around you today.”

 

“He’s not my keeper,” she said, remembering his behavior earlier as well. “He needs to chill, if you know what I mean.” Aera bent down to roll her brush on the paint tray. “I don’t know what his deal is lately.”

 

JB nodded in agreement. “But you know, you’ve been together almost the whole summer. I understand you are best friends of some sort…” He laughed. “I don’t know how that works out. You’re so outgoing and Jinyoung is just as uptight as…”

 

“Himself,” they chorused and laughed. She continued painting the wall. “He’s pressured. You know his dad. He’s usually serious, but he could be fun.”

 

“Yeah I figured you like him that much to be able to keep up. We used to hang out, but he said I’m not his cup of tea.” JB smiled slightly and rolled his eyes. “He said that?” Aera asked, puzzled.

 

JB

Please log in to read the full chapter