Chapter 15: Her past

A Key To Hold On: the reason for the chase (Hiatus for sometime)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I’m sitting inside her house that is a bit far away from my place. Not that far, considering the walk. It was Victoria’s idea to come here. I thought going against her decision right now won’t be great. Even though I know she wouldn’t mind if I asked her to go somewhere near.

Her house was big but it had a great feeling. What I mean is it felt comfortable.

She brought us two cappuccino white mugs in front of us. I smiled and bowed my head a little.

I’m sitting on the couch that was white in color with 4 light brown cushions on different places. A carpet that had brown and light brown flowers imprinted on it though it was cream in color.

The table in middle that the couch surrounded, leaving on side open. The table base was made of glass and the thing that was holding is made of wood.

I am sitting across Victoria and I know this awkward silence won’t be helping us both so I decided to break it.

“Are you okay?” I blurted it out.

I embarassed myself. How can I just sprout out things like that? I know I should’ve slower and careful but look at me. Aish.

She blinked and then gave me a small smile. It was too small to be noticed but somehow I managed to catch that one.

“I’m fine.”

She cupped her mug and gulped a sip. Then, placed it back down to its position. But her palms were hugging the mug to feel its heat radiate.

“Nari, I’m gonna say you something I hadn’t said ever to anyone. Do you mind keeping it a secret?”

I can feel the moment getting more intense as time passes.

I gulped and nodded.

She looked down and I can see a small sad smile tugging on her side of lips. Her hair covered her eyes and else.

She raised her head and I almost gasped loud, seeing her tears.

She removed them fast with the tips of her fingers while murmuring ‘sorry’.

I bit my lips in nervousness, afraid that I might say the wrong words and make her weaker.

She chuckled sadly, “You and Jae Bum’s the only one who saw me crying.”

“You see you don’t have to force yourself. Just relax, okay? I think I should leave.”

I try to get up but stop at the mid-way.

“DON’T!”

I sit back down and gulped at her scary tone.

“I’m sorry. I don’t know how to explain this but..”

I heard her whimper and I cursed myself in my brain.

“It’s okay, Vic. I’ll stay. Please don’t cry.”

I feel like killing myself at this situations because I’m not so good in comforting.

I went near her and try to calm her which worked.

She chuckled sadly,“I feel like a crybaby.”

“I’lll be back in few minutes.”

I nod and she leaves.

I get up from my seat and start to roam the room.

Since the couch was in the centre of the room, behind it was a huge family frame. I went near it.

It was hung on the white wall. Its end was up to my chest.  I brushed my fingers over the golden outline of the picture.

“2004.”

I read it and I look at the frame and frown.   

The picture had Victoria’s dad, mom, and herself probably 6 year but the reason I frowned deeper was because their a girl and another boy. The boy looked older than Victoria and the girl was on her mom’s arm.

“How come I neveer saw them before?”

Frowning, I looked up again. Victoria never mentioned about her siblings. Or..are they someone else? But it’s a family picture.

I moved my head sideways exaggeratwly to emove the thoughts that were confusing me. Then I look up again.

That’s when realization drowns me. Victoria never mentioned of her family. Not even once.

“That’s my brother and sister.”

Suddenly a voice popped out and I jumped slightly in fear. I held my chest with my right hand and looked at her with wide eyes.

“I know I never mentioned it before. It’s because I had a reason to it.”

She looked at the brother and smiled a little. It was a sad one.

Who knew this cheerful, smiling, bright girl has this grief-stricken side to herself. That’s true that the one who laughs a lot, even at small things, he/she is lonely deep inside.

“Once again, other than Jae Bum. You’re the one to know.”

I showed her a confused face,

 “What about f(x)?”

“They know few things not all of it.”

She kept her gaze on the frame and then she turned it to me.

“I’m gonna say it all to you. Can you promise me not to say it to anyone?”

 It just keeps getting tenser. The atmosphere was sorrowful and worrisome.

“I promise.”

And the next moment I know, I’m sitting on the couch with Victoria.

“When I was six years old, we all lived together. We had all our things and everyhing, we need as a family. We never had trouble. Everyday was the same happy day. Jae Bum became my best friend in school.”

She was smiling but ateri changed into gloomy one.

“But oneday, everything changed.”

Flashback

“Mommy, we should also go for an ice cream. Can we do that, can we do that? Please…” A six year old Victoria saying it  to her mom from her seat.

“Sure, sweetheart. What about you, Liu?”

A nine year old proclaimed, “Chocolate with mint bits.”

The woman giggled, “They got my ice-cream genes.”

The man snorted playfully and said, “But they take after my charming eyes.”

He turned to the woman and smirked before tuning back to focus on he road.

“Feifei, your daddy is really annoying. Isn’t he?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter