Quinn your laptop is calling

Dear My Devil,

Quinn groaned.

She decided to leave her work for later when she accidentally glanced at the wall clock while taking her second cup of coffee. It was 5 am then and right now, it feels like she hasn’t slept at all. Her mind wants to continue wandering to that place she keeps on dreaming about for this past few days but there is this distant sound running for minutes now that continues to block her way to peace.

She turned and pulled the covers along with her as she rolled on her bed. She laid face down and continued her sweet ramblings but the sound become louder by the minute to the point that she can’t ignore it anymore.

And even though her mind is still swirling from thoughts and dreams of wonderland, she knew that she can’t stay on bed for long; there are too many designs left to do and missing the deadline is just not her. She’s been left sleep deprived for the past months for this reason.

The knocking on the door brought her back from her musings. She yawned, stretched, sat on the bed, and with eyes still half closed, she slowly went to open it.

“Awake yet?” The girl must want to portray annoyance but obviously failed as her voiced sounded amused.

“Che..y”

Cheyenne is her roommate and best friend. Her professor from the university introduced them to each other as she was looking for an apartment to stay for the meantime since she figured it was too expensive to stay on hotels—well for a normal student it was way too weird anyway. And she thought that it wouldn’t hurt to live like one plus she would be able to save, learn to be independent and won’t need to ask money for months.

It was an apartment with enough space for two. It’s with 2 rooms, a living room and a kitchen.

 At first, it was hard for her to get used to clean on her own, cook and do laundry but so far she’s enjoying it. Chey even teased and called her princess when she discovered she’s not one to do house work. If only she knew, Quinn has never done these things until then.

“What time is it?” Quinn murmured sleepily.

Chey was living alone for a month when she decided she needs to split the bill for the apartment. Apparently, she was living with her boyfriend before but things have gone in a wrong way as she found out the guy was cheating on her and bringing girls over while she wasn’t around. And although it was amusing seeing Chey eat the hell out of the guy when he came back for some of his things, it was hard seeing her cry after.

Quinn didn’t know what to do. She had friends—well family friends who have nothing to talk with her but the brand of their clothes, what karat is their jewelry and what make up to use. It was all her first time that all she did was sit beside her until the girl finished bawling her eyes out. To her surprise, Chey thanked her and right there and then, they became best of friends.

“It’s past 5…” The girl’s red painted lips curved to a smile.

“Oh past 5... Why did you wake me up—“

It took a minute for Quinn to realize that it was 5:00 in the afternoon and Chey laughed, probably because of her expression right now. It seems she can’t move from its current circle form.

“Yes Kin. You slept that long. Give it a rest, you’ve been sleeping less and less for months, you know.” She laughed between sentences.

“My deadline is near…” Quinn said straightly. For a second, her mind refused to function as her stomach started to make its announcement.

Cheyenne clapped her hands happily. She probably remembered the thing she forgot to say to Quinn, the reason why she decided to wake her up after ignoring her to sleep for the whole day.

“I suddenly remembered!” And then to Quinn’s shock, she screamed—she meant giggled or… both.

“Chey are you okay?”

“You’re hungry?” She giggled again. “When was the last time you’ve eaten?”

“This question doesn’t need to be screamed, you know.” Quinn contemplated whether to tell her that she only had 2 cups of coffee for at least 24 hours.

As if reading her mind, she screamed, not in the bad way though and it made Quinn confused. Are you supposed to be happy to find out your best friend’s haven’t eaten all day?

She’s definitely acting weird, she thought.

“Perfect!”

“What’s perfect?” Quinn’s eyebrows rose at the smile on her best friend’s face.

“Remember the party I said a few days ago?” Again, she giggled. “You agreed on it!”

“eer—what?”

“You know the one with my friend’s friend—that if someone backs out in the last minute, I can bring you with me! You agreed on it!” Chey is now jumping back and forth which is probably amusing except that Quinn’s confused state is back pedaling all the thoughts.

“I.. I didn’t agree on anything…” She tried remembering, squinting her sleepy eyes shut as she went to go through her memories for the past few days but nothing ringed a bell.

It was Cheyenne’s turn to raise her trimmed eyebrows. With arms perched up on her hips, she looked at her best friend intently. “You. Promised. Me.” Indenting every word, she blurted.

Quinn’s eyes went pass Cheyenne and landed on the table not far away from where they stood. It was decorated with papers here and there and atop of it all, her laptop is sitting there proud and ready for work.

Before she can say anything though, her best friend decided to block her eyes from the workload that is in need of facing.

“You promised me.” She repeated, pursing her lips.

Quinn sighed and was about to say something when Cheyenne threw her best puppy dog eyes.

Although, they’re best of friends and have almost live together for 3 years, Cheyenne and Quinn had nothing in common. Chey was out going. She likes her dresses, and bar hopping the most and she has never ending circle of friends from every corners of the society.

Quinn is the opposite of her. They were so different from one another that her team in the project wonders why they are so close. Sometimes she wonders that too while often seeing Chey rummaged on her closet choosing her outfit for the night while Quinn sat there facing her laptop with caffeine ready at the side. She prefers her morning coffee than everything else although it’s turning into a night coffee each day. She dislikes gatherings the most—probably became a trauma because of her unpleasant memories of lit parties. And although she doesn’t hate wearing dresses or miniskirts and body fit clothes, she’s now uncomfortable with them.

“Please?”

Quinn signed and raised her hands in defeat and Cheyenne tackled her happily. “Thanks Quinn you’re the best! You’ll have fun! I heard there are many celebrities coming—“

She raised her eyebrows.

“Oooops… I’m not supposed to say anything about celebrities but whatever! It’s not a secret now anyway! Go and doll yourself up girl!” She giggled.

Quinn threw a long look at the living room again, at her laptop and design papers that seem to call out to her even more. Cheyenne interrupted her internal musings as she laughed; her eyes grew even smaller despite of heavy make-up to make it look big.

“That can wait Kin! I’ll even help you with it!”

“As if…” Quinn made a face. “You’re studying literature not architecture…”

Chey laughed. “Seriously, go and wash. Fix that lion’s mane of hair and wear something beautiful.” She smiled teasingly. “I don’t understand you; you have big eyes, fuller lips and the body that every girl dreams of having. You should go out sometime…”

“I don’t have the time for unnecessary things…” Before she can stop herself, the words are already out of . The guilt started to creep to her chest as Chey tried to hide the hurt in her eyes. She really hate this side of her, in which out of nowhere she can just say things outright not even thinking what it would make the other person feel.

For a moment, silence engulfed the room, there was nothing but Cheyenne looking as if she was a kicked puppy and Quinn contemplating on what to say after her remark.

“I know that this is not your thing… but I just want you to have some time out, you know… Spend some time out of this apartment and especially not on the university. You need to enjoy life too….” Chey said slowly.

Quinn sighed. “I know... I’m sorry for that Chey…”

Cheyenne’s expression a while ago came back again. She laughed. “You don’t have anything to wear right?”

As if to answer her best friend’s question, she looked behind her. Her bed is still a mess and her closet stood there open and showing the world her sets of hoodies hanged and aligned together. “What color do I wear?”

Chey rolled her eyes. “Oh please… Not your hoodies!”

“eerr—what? I only have those…”

“Of course! You never wear anything but those anyway…” She said after averting her seemingly disgusted look to her.

She started looking at her up and down, one hand up on her jaw and the other across her chest. And then after a while, Chey looked up eyes blazing with excitement. “I know!” She screamed. “I have those dress—err… presents, they we’re a little smaller to me but—you would look great on them, I’m sure!”

And before Quinn can say anything, Chey excitedly run off to her room, opposite to hers.

“Chey.. I don’t really need---“

“I would die before I let you go with me to the party on those hoodies!” She heard her say and then a sound of rummaging came after.

“Chey…”

“Chey…” She tried again but there was no answer. The rummaging sound continued and there was nothing she can do and stand there knowing that she can’t escape this time. There was nothing in it but to resign her fate to her best friend’s hands.

Not that she has a choice anyway.

 

 

 

 

----

Hello. Although this account is old, I haven't written for months. ;D I came back and pls let me know what you think, if I should continue or not. ;)) lol

Comment&Subscribe, it would definitely mean the world. \m/

BTW this story is posted on wattpad too... so yea. that's it..