Daisies and Seashells

When The Shells Replace

Jongin could feel the burn in his back.He could feel the sun's relentless pounding on his skin and it's evil rays clutching away at any spots of water still lingering.

Jongin wakes up,but doesn't move a muscle.He could hear laughter but he couldn't see where exactly it came from.There was the sound of cawing seagulls and shouting men.The scent of sea and salt were permeating everywhere too.Jongin opened his eyes.

The sun caused him to blink a few times and he gulped nervously.The sun?How is it possible for him to see the sun?Hadn't it been hours ago where he was swimming around with the whales?Hadn't it been just moments ago when he was cleaning the stingrays?

Why was he here?Where exactly was here?

His tail flopped as he tried to wiggle around.The wooden floor makes a thumping sound every time he moves.Jongin winces.He's sure his captor would be here any minute now.

The door swung open.

I knew it.The male that had entered was small.Not in the sense of age,but rather his stature.He was muscular.That much could be seen even through his thick regal coat,but he was still very small.Not burly,not tall.Just toned and short.

"Who are you?" Jongin's throat felt like samd had been swallowed by the dozen.He scratched his neck. "What is this place?"

The other neared him before grinning. "I'm Prince Kyungsoo,and you're my new pet!"


Jongin felt himself being submerged into a tank.He could feel the still water around him.He could feel eyes watching him.He refuses to move or open his eyes.He refuses to accept this forced reality.

The tank was knocked on twice,a muffled voice of the prince could be heard.Jongin ignores it.

There was a click from somewhere near him,and suddenly Kyungsoo's voice was clearer than ever.

"Hey,merman man,you need to open your eyes!This is your new home after all,aren't you excited?"

Jongin scoffed. "In your dreams Prince.Excited?More like terrified,"

Jongin's rancor didn't go unnoticed.He could hear a whine before the click resounded again.Then,all he could hear was muffled voices.Jongin sighs before finally opening his eyes and peeking around.

The room was painted blue with hues of green and purple.The furnitures were all basic,simple and modern-styled.None of those were anything fascinating though.What Jongin gaped at was the huge mural of a mermaid in front of him.She had red hair,her torso bare and tail pink and gold.It was a beautiful artwork,and Jongin's interest about the Prince peaked a little.

It wasn't enough interest to make him want to stay,though.

Every day afterwards,Jongin had to tolerate a chattering Kyungsoo.There seemed to always be something he wanted to say.Always that click that Jongin later finds is from a machine that transfers sounds,(Jongin didn't think humans were that advanced).

At first,Kyungsoo asked about mermaids and how life was as a sea-wandering,tail-owning human.Jongin wasn't about to risk the lives of his fellow mermen though,so he said nothing.He merely harrumphs,then looked away.

Kyungsoo then learns Jongin's absolute distaste in talking about mermen or sharing any information about them-understandably so.He begins talking about different things after that,like what he had for breakfast,his favourite book,what his country was like and even what was having a sale down by the markets.

Before Jongin knew it,he wishes to wander on land.He dreams of running through fields of what Kyungsoo called daisies (they were very pretty),he wants to buy things at a cheaper price than they usually are,he's curious about the adrenaline rush Kyungsoo talks about whenever he takes a roller coaster.

Jongin wants them all.

(He hides the lust,because as far as Kyungsoo is concerned,Jongin is only a bratty merman who wants to go back home.)

Kyungsoo offers to bring Jongin around one day and Jongin wonders how the whole time he's brought out of the tank.

He is placed in a smaller tank and this one is currently placed on a cart.A guard pushes him around as Kyungsoo walks next to him,showing him the daisies and the large fields of grasses.He shows Jongin the market and the auntie who always offers the greatest bargains.He shows Jongin the grim haunted park and the colourful amusement one.

Through it all,Jongin could hear the whispers of amazement and he could even see the fingers pointing at him-do these humans not have any respect at all?-but other than the initial discomfort,Jongin finds himself not caring.He was too busy staring at the different varieties of places,of food,of clothes.There was no time to dwell about manners when he had this whole new world.

"Too bad I can't walk beside you," Jongin says without thinking.He immediately covers his mouth.He was suppose to hate this place.Despise it.

"I wish you could too." Kyungsoo whispered as he sat next to Jongin on the dock.The sea was right below him.If he jumped in now,he could escape and swim back to his home.

Something stops him though.Maybe it was the moon combined with the night draft of cool air.Maybe it was the excitement of the whole day resting firmly on his shoulders,happy moments being remembered one by one.

And maybe it was the hand clasping his own.Kyungsoo's small hand was tightly wrapped around Jongin's,his other hand playing with the hem of his shirt.It's stupid,Jongin thought as his eyes absorb the beauty right in front of him.The wide eyes against yellow-toned fair skin,the button nose plus the heart-shaped lips,the silent loneliness radiating off of him,Jongin found it all beautiful.

He's an idiot.

Kyungsoo practically kidnapped him,that he knows,but he still finds himself smiling and leaning into Kyungsoo's shoulder,making the other boy gasp and tense.

Jongin quite enjoys the reaction but he says nothing,eyes staring up at the yellow moon,adoring it's contrast against the navy blue blanket.

For now,he'll stay.He'll escape next time.

Kyungsoo brought him to the town at least once a week after that.Over time,Jongin learnt to be a little more friendly and he starts making friends with the auntie with good bargains (who he learns is called Miss Cho),he begins to see roses along with the daisies and some daffodils too,he lets the children touch his tail (though only for a second because it tickles the heck out of him) and he starts to have a deeper understanding of the other male.

Jongin wants the feeling of legs more than ever now.He wants to feel the sand against his feet,he needs to feel muscles straining to walk,he craves for the moment when a new shoe adorns feet,and appreciation of the new pair as it walks down the market easily.

He wants to be fully human.He wants to go home.He wants them both.

Again,at the end of the day,Jongin and Kyungsoo would sit side by side.Neither mention the fact that the sea was only a splash away.Neither wants to mention it.Jongin keeps saying 'next time' in his head,but now he's not so sure he wants to leave anymore.

It's not like there's anyone waiting for him back in the sea,and here,well,there's Kyungsoo.

Jongin glances at the other male and he knows he can't leave yet.

Things seemed to pick up a little bit after that.Kyungsoo seems more comfortable with him and talks about even the minutiae,like how his cereal turned soggy before he could eat it,or how his maid didn't like his new coat ("what do you think Jongin?" "I don't like it either"),he even talks about his fascination with mermaids and mermen alike.

Jongin expects that much.It was clear from the mural and the tons of bookcases filled with books about the ocean,that Kyungsoo has an absolute immersion on sea creatures-whether they are human-like or not.

Jongin would sit at the edge of the tank,listening to Kyungsoo while staring at his legs.His eyes would trail up from the polished shoes and crisp pants to his equally immaculate shirt and tie combo,then he would trace the innocent features of the Prince and watch in awe as his eyes lit up about the simplest information on the ocean.His mouth would quirk and his cheeks would glow.At least,in Jongin's eyes they glow.

The Prince was truly a beauty.

And no,his beauty definitely doesn't hide the fact that he's kidnapped Jongin,but well,beauty is beauty.Whether he had done a good deed or a bad one,he is still simply beautiful.

Yes,you can distort a person's impression on you with a bad deed,but no one can distort features with bad morals.Perhaps attraction may dissipate,but the view remains to be a pretty one.

Jongin lazily flopped his tail,not really listening to what Kyungsoo is saying since he's talking about the ocean.All Kyungsoo could say is what Jongin has been living with and learnt since young.Nothing Kyungsoo says could amaze Jongin.

"Your Majesty,your father calls upon your presence," Mid-sentence Kyungsoo was cut and both looked up to see the butler,his head bowed daintily in respect.

Kyungsoo sighs,waving at Jongin before leaving and Jongin goes back to flopping his tail.

Kyungsoo didn't come back till the next day.While Jongin found it weird,he didn't question it.When Kyungsoo came in,all he did was sit down cross-legged in front of the tank,staring at the floor.Jongin wanted to knock on the glass and question why,but he kept quiet,watching the other's sad expression closely.

The other sighed,before making a move to go away. "Kyungsoo,"

Kyungsoo looked up,eyebrow raised in question.Jongin's mouth dried.Right,why was it that he called Kyungsoo back again?

"Did I tell you about that time me and my friends pranked my village leader?" Jongin asked,trying to think of any topic at all to distract Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo shook his head,his eyes still downwards. "Well,it was a good one.We tangled his precious bed to a ship's anchor.When the ship moved,so did he.He was so confused,"

Jongin laughed a little and was relieved to hear Kyungsoo chuckle,although it does seem a little forced.Jongin sighed,resting his hands flat on the glass surface, "Are you okay?"

Kyungsoo kept quiet a long time,merely staring blankly at the wall behind Jongin.There was a sob,and suddenly Kyungsoo is crying.Jongin panicked,eyes darting around the tank to find a way to leave so he could pat the other's back or something.

He found no way out so he simply whispered small notes of comfort,hand still pressed against the tank.He finds pleasure when Kyungsoo pressed his own palm against the tank too,crying even harder.

Jongin's heart fell with the tears and he finds himself surprised that he was this sorrowful at his kidnapper's sadness.

"Thanks,Jongin." Kyungsoo's voice was raspy,hiccups passing through sometimes.

"What's wrong Kyungsoo?"

Kyungsoo shook his head,heading to the switch to turn the lights in the tank off. "Just,don't worry about it.Good night Jongin,"

Jongin frowned,feeling a little queasy that for once,Kyungsoo doesn't want to tell him something. "Yeah,good night."

Jongin didn't have a good night at all and found himself sitting blankly,worrying over what's wrong.

The next day brought a bright sun and a brighter Kyungsoo.Jongin's heart slumps in the fact that Kyungsoo was too bright-almost fake.Jongin wasn't there to assume what isn't or what is,though,so he simply smiles back at the grin Kyungsoo gives and nods eagerly to the offer of walking around the town.

They do exactly that,but this time,no bodyguard was present.At least,no bodyguard was pushing Jongin.They probably were following the prince by a distance,though.

Kyungsoo pushed him through the markets,and he has his first taste of watermelon (which was way more watery than he expected).They pick up dandelions and blow on it,some of the wisps catching on Jongin's tail and he laughs delightedly.They also went to the fountain,where Kyungsoo passes him a coin and he has to make a wish.

Jongin shuts his eyes tight,hands wrapped tightly around the circular object before blowing on it lightly and tossing it into the fountain.

Kyungsoo follows suit and they gaze at water spouting at the top only to fall back into the fountain pool.A constant cycle.Jongin wonders if old water could really make his wish come true.

They end up at the docks,and Kyungsoo buys them both ice cream-which Jongin has come to love.As he munched on the last bits of his wafer cone,he felt a hand on his back.

He sputtered as he splashed,familiar scent of salt attacking his nose all of a sudden.He resurfaced,looking up at Kyungsoo confusedly. 

"Go home,Jongin," Kyungsoo says,eyes set straight on the sun currently sinking down the horizon.Jongin gulps,pushing his hair back. "What do you mean?"

"I'm letting you go now."

Jongin scoffed,looking up at Kyungsoo disbelievingly,but the other won't meet his eyes, "Is it that easy for you?Take me in without consent,make me like you,then push me back in the sea again?I get that you're a prince but are people that disposable to you?"

"You're not a person,Jongin.You were just my pet." Jongin wants to think that Kyungsoo said it with hesitation,but he would only be tricking himself.Kyungsoo didn't care,heck,he kidnapped Jongin.Jongin should have known his feelings were the least of the prince's problems.

"Then I hope I was a good boy for you,Your Majesty," Jongin didn't look back.He swam as fast as he could,his tail cutting the current and the ocean rushing by his body.His heart pumped faster and faster as he gulped in every last remnant of smelly fish being sold,Miss Cho's strong floral perfume,the fresh smell of grass and flowers and Kyungsoo's citrus scent.Jongin gulps it all in.

Then he lets it go.

The symphony was grim,a small hum of sorrow lacing the air as the canvas hung itself on the wall.

The painting was a beautiful one-as it should be,it is,after all,for the royalty.She sat prim and proper on her stool,her smile a perfect curve,her eyes glistening with happiness.

Kyungsoo knows better.

Forced marriage was nothing to be happy about,and about four years into the marriage,she died.

Speculations say it's suicide,but Kyungsoo would never know.He never made an effort to be close with her.His energy run through only,and only for his royal duties.His title having been upgraded after marriage.It was tiring,to say the least,running around to different kingdoms,kissing up on royal asses-he wants to quit.He wishes he could quit.

The sea water was cold against his feet.He knows it's almost winter,the frigid air suggests as much,but the ocean has always been a place of solace.A moment to breath in slowly and let it all out.

Thoughts of a certain merman pop up in his head but he is quick to pinch it away.Thinking of it only brings a squeeze to his heart.He'd rather not.

Despite so,he finds himself whispering to the froth of the ocean,hoping the bubbles would pass it along, "I hope you're well,Jongin,

Kyungsoo turned his back,walking back up to normal grounds.What he doesn't know is his whisper doesn't need to be passed along.

The man was already there,and he whispers well wishes of his own.

Daisies were scattered all over the floor and Kyungsoo paused as he picked them up.It's been a long time since he last entered the room where Jongin used to stay,and he smiles at the sight of the yellow flowers.

He lies down by the tank,pressing a palm against the hollow glass cuboid,wishing he'd done it all earlier.

What would his parents say to a marriage with a merman though?It'd be disastrous.It was only right to let him back to where he belongs,even if Kyungsoo wishes that was with him.


He starts coming to the beach a lot,whispering to the white effervescence of his deepest troubles,his deepest worries,because in truth,without Jongin,Kyungsoo was a silent soul.

He never was talkative with anyone other than Jongin.It's a pleasure to be able to tell Jongin story after story.Kyungsoo didn't know why,but he loves it,a lot.

Perhaps it was because of the other's eye lighting up discretely when he talks about the simplest of things,or maybe it was just because Jongin actually had to listen to Kyungsoo,since there was no place else to go.

Either way,Kyungsoo likes telling him everything,and that's what he'll continue to do.Even if it is to the froth,he could imagine the glowing blue-green tail,glittering like the best sequins in town.He could picture the tanned skin,all deep and irresistible.He could see the defined visage,smiling with his eyes squinted to crescents.

He placed two stalks of daisies on the sand,lying down next to it,humming to himself as he stared up at the sky.

He fell asleep just as a hand reached for the daisies.

There was the sound of waves crashing against the shore and a strong smell of sea,of salt.Kyungsoo opened his eyes,greeted by the vast blue sky.His body ached,but he finds himself not caring.

When he sits up,the sea waved at him too,and he smiled.Today will be a good one.

The daisies by his side had been exchanged with seashells.He stared at it.The seashells had been strung together,and all of it had a holographic glow to it.He traced them,looking back at the sea.

"Jongin?"

There was no reply,as to be expected,but the seashells were enough reason for him to come back again,and again.

And again.

A luminous glow casted against Kyungsoo's skin,and he watched in awe as blue and green reflected on his arm.He looked up,seeing for himself the tanned beauty that's been in his mind all this while.The sun casted a golden glow on the deep skin.Everything looked ethereal.He smiles.

"Jongin,"

"I pranked my village leader again," Jongin grinned,and Kyungsoo clutched the daisies to his heart.

 

Something even better than seashells replaced it today. 

 

 

•*•

 


A/N :

If you're here then thanks for reading!Hope it was a pleasant read!

As per usual,comments are appreciated,and have a good day!