teaser

the devil intern
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Who is Jung Jaehyun? Jung Jaehyun is Jung Jaehyun.

Jung Jaehyun is 23 years old. Jung Jaehyun has never been in love before, nor dated, nor been kissed. Most would say that's sad. Jung Jaehyun doesn't mind much though because Jung Jaehyun is a simple man. He entertains only simple thoughts and simple actions and simple solutions to simple problems. 

Should his car break down? No time to wait for a repair, let's just buy a new one! Should his air conditioner break down? Nope, no money to buy a new one (spent it on the new car) — let's just open the windows! Should his parents nag him about getting a GF? "Sorry, mom, dad — I'm gay now."

Some might scold him for being lazy, but Jung Jaehyun is not lazy.

No, he's far from lazy. He's just flexible.

Being so flexible is what earned him a job at a decent, large-scale company and earns him about 35,000 USD per year as an average.

It's not a job that one can brag about, but it's a job. It pays the bills, it puts food on the table and since he's already got an apartment as a graduation gift, that's all that matters as far as Jung Jaehyun is concerned. 

Is it a fun job? No, but Jung Jaehyun does not care much for fun. Not as much as he cares about eating beef for dinner or shopping. Jung Jaehyun loves beef, and shopping, but mostly beef.

Beef is great.

In fact, beef is so great that it's the only thing on Jaehyun's mind as he rushes from house to house under the scorching sun, using smooth words to persuade strangers to buy his cosmetics company's products. From suncreen to BB creams to eye creams to body soap — you name it, Jung Jaehyun's got it. Except for foot oil, he ran out of it this morning.

Jaehyun's been a door-to-door salaryman for about a year, five months, three weeks and four, no five, hours now. The extra exercise is great but the Summers are horrible, it gets hot as damn and Jaehyun turns into a sweaty mess.

He would not mind if he could run right back home once he's done, but he needs to drop by the office in the evening to type up reports. He also stops by the office in the mornings to work on new sales methods, contacting potential buyers via email and phone, and what not. Basically everything the rest of his team are too lazy to handle. 

His job is very demanding to be honest. He doesn't get paid even nearly enough.

He's been dropping hints about wanting a promotion, or at least a raise in salary, to his team leader Johnny for months now.

Unfortunately, the Korean-American is goddamn slow unless you spell it right out for him. And Jaehyun doesn't want to do that either. Johnny broke off a serious engagement recently and he's still bitter as hell about that, even if he's trying to mask his annoyance with a big smile. 

Jaehyun knocks on the last door of the day. A couple of seconds later, an old lady opens.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter