final

Promise

 

 

"Yah...you...what is your name?" the 63 year old man sitting in front of me asked, yet again.

 

I smiled as I helped him put on his shoes.

 

He doesn't recognize me.

 

But I do. I know him very well.

 

His name is Mark Yi-en Tuan.

 

Born on September 4, 1993.

 

His husband's name is Jackson Wang Ka-Yee.

 

He's scared of spiders. But strangely likes spiderman.

 

He loves plants and trees.

 

Likes the colour blue.

 

Wears the shoe size 9.

 

He's a quiet and reserved person. Specially with strangers. But can be really outgoing when he gets to now the person.

 

He loves spicy curries but hates pea egg plants.

 

And he loves listening to this song whenever he eats...

 

The day I saw your eyes...
I saw countless stars in them...
The day when I dressed kind of funny...
Why that day of all days?
....

Miss you I really miss you.

But I'll sing for you so you won't be bored,

Turn the radio on
Turn the radio on..
....
Forever young
Our time together
Forever young
I don't wanna lose it
....
Forever you're my shawty.

 

He dances in his seat while continuing to eat.

 

He's old, but he loves cleanliness.

 

He is amused by a lot of things and laughs easily.

 

Loves to complain and sulks.

 

He also has Alzheimer.

 

We were married on 6th July.

 

Its been 37 years now.

 

I remember how he'd cried when I got down on one knee to ask him to be with me forever. To allow me to love him everyday for the rest of his life and to give him my entire world.

 

He'd looked beautiful, walking down the aisle in that white tux. He was literally glowing. I had never been so nervous in my entire life, but the moment I saw him and that lovely smile of his, I knew that it was all gonna be alright. I felt like the luckiest alive that day.

 

I still remember the promise I'd made to Mark, in front of everyone present that day...To take care of him for the remainder of his days...to give him all my love. No matter how hard the times get. No matter what comes in between us. I'd always be there for him through thick and thin. He's smiled at that and punched me lightly for being too cheesy. I laughed along, obviously. But, I'd meant every single word of it. And I'm sure he knew it too. Even though...even though he probably doesn't remember any of that now. 

 

"Yah...eat your veggies...its good for your health." I said, putting back the vegetables Mark had not-so-sneakily taken out from his own plate.

 

He gave me a look and for a moment I thought that he could actually recognize me.

 

"Who are you seriously?" He asked, with genuine curiosity.

 

"I'm Jackson...I'm here to take care of you.." I sighed, in exasperation.

 

"Hmm."

 

"Yeah.."

 

Its not easy.
 

Of course its not easy. It's never easy. It's down right painful. To not be recognized by your other half. To look at him with so much of love but be stared back at by blank eyes. Sometimes I feel so tired of all this. But, I had made a promise. Forget about the rest of the people that were present there, that day. I'd promised to myself before I'd even popped the question, that if Mark were to say yes, I, Jackson Wang, would live the rest of my life for him and give him everything he's ever wanted because he's that special to me. Honestly, I'd never thought the perfect being called Mark Tuan would ever agree to marry the mess that was me. 

 

So, if you think I'm going to leave him now, just because he can't remember me or any of those memories that we'd made together for the past 45 years, then you're wrong.

 

"Are we taking a walk?" Mark asked, as he watched me put on his shoes for him.

 

"Yep." I replied, tying his shoe-laces.

 

"Won't you get tired?" He asked, sounding concerned.

 

I smiled at him.

 

Typical Mark. Irrespective of whether he remembers me or not, he's always caring. 

 

"Nope." I replied, shaking my head,"I'll never get tired of this."


 

**********

A/N: Kinda inspired from a Thai Life Insurance ad..dunno if you guys have seen it before..
          Please comment and upvote if you liked it! ^^

         The Mark-facts are not Legit tho...just some things taken from the ad and from this wonderful thing called my brain (it not wonderful, tho )