The Story Begins

Risk of Rain: Twice (A Risk of Rain-based TWICE Sci-fi AU)

It's another delivery errand given to us. This time, the cargo contents were classified and this was our first time sending one to a high-ranking company named 'JYP Enterprises' and our private military company 'Twice' were up to the job.

The PMC has been around for quite some time and we're only composed of nine members, but I can assure you that we're elite.

Let me introduce the squad to you.

First, we have Jihyo Park, taking the squad's role of commander. She's the strategic caller, commands the battle positions and monitors the group. She's basically our leader. Her name and title was so respected in the military so much that she was allowed to create a private military company. I admire her a lot. She's gone through a lot of training and battles and she still manages to be not so cold to the group. She knows us very well and despite each member's differences, she's got our chemistry on point. Her suit is military-based thus, enabling her to do evasive rolls with ease. She's also armed with an energy pistol that has semi-automatic and burst for firing modes. The pistol could also fire a laser that could stop anyone in their tracks.

Jungyeon Yoo, the veteran enforcer handpicked by Jihyo. She probably signed up for police duties due to her protective nature. She's very cautious and chill at the same time. Apparently, she's been in a lot of raids and riot control which led to her history with Nayeon. Outside missions, she's very energetic and kind. Her police suit isn't much when it comes to being agile but her huge shield make up for it. She carries a shotgun which could also launch stun grenades. She hangs out with Nayeon a lot now despite their past.

Chaeyoung Son, the young and talented bandit. We saw her get ganged up by a bunch of soldiers in a mission and she almost killed them all. Jihyo discovered her potential and picked her up into the group. She's basically a shooting prodigy. Her suit was stolen from a spy which has smokebombs that make her go invisible and emit a stunning wave around her once she reappears. Sadly, it only works on her suit. She has a laser rifle which she found the best since Jihyo assigned Mina to train her. Due to her skill and speed, Sana upgraded the weapon to have the capability of refreshing Chaeyoung's cooldowns everytime she landed a headshot. Chaeyoung's ways still didn't stray away from her bandit life, though. She still carries dynamites around. She used to drift around a lot but that stopped eventually after training with Mina.

Nayeon Im, ex-bounty hunter, now just a huntress. Her beauty is deceiving and I'm not surprised that she's a very known bounty hunter considering her looks and skill. She also used to be Jungyeon's nemesis although their rivalry eventually bloomed into something romantic. Considering Jungyeon's feelings for Nayeon during that time, which was pretty harsh, Jihyo still picked her up recognizing the skill that she has. Her specialized suit's blink mechanism makes versatility unparalleled. She's armed with an energy bow which could also fire explosive energy arrows and a smart laser glaive which bounce to multiple targets. Her mastery with these weapons allow her to easily move while firing. Although she's labeled as "notorious", she's still a sweetheart down to the soul. No wonder she's with Jungyeon now. Does love bloom in the battlefield? Jungyeon and Nayeon have something to say about that.

The HAN-D, the janitor robot turned into a sentient fighting machine. One of Sana's "wonderful" creations out of her experimentations. Sana programmed it to be protective and loyal. She developed a system where it's rewarded whenever it eliminates a target, enabling it to spawn drones that home and damage the nearest target then returns healing the robot. Crazy, I know. But you know what's crazier? It could create a hammer that it could use to hit the ground with a force enough to stumble any foe. It's through forced reassembly though, whatever that means. It needs to recharge after using it once. The robot might be intimidating through description, but interactions with it felt like human-like. I kinda feel bad for it though, it's only a machine and all but almost human.

Sana Minatozaki, the genius engineer and part-time mad scientist. Jihyo and Sana including Mina were already working together since their army days. The reason for our self-sustaining energy weapons? Sana. Jihyo was lucky she had a technological madman as a friend. She created and developed all of our weapons and these are exclusive only to us. The weapon and tools are also smart. They don't hurt friendlies. They aren't perfect though. The downside of ammunitionless weapons and energy reliance is the cooldowns for the special functions. Sana also upgraded our suits, making them able to trane materials into upgrades for either our weapons or armors, saying that our survivability rates should go higher with it. Her suit lacks the mobility but her ability to generate land mines and pocket turrets make up for it. Her suit could also launch tri-nades and heat-seeking harpoons which eliminate anything unlucky enough to get hit by it. Everything to her must be optimized, thus always on the drive to make everything "perfect" for her. She's at the lab or at the bridge as much as I'm in the cafeteria. Speaking of cafeteria, she also makes great food, like spring rolls. She's been spending a lot of time with Dahyun lately though. I wonder if something is going on with them.

Dahyun Kim, the thrill-seeking Eagle Miner. Her title comes from her ability to either dash both forward and backward which disables anything she goes through or jump high, leaving an explosive trail below. Her pickaxes pack the punch too. All this because of her specialzed miner suit's mechanisms strengthened by Sana. It's functions for mining were made stronger to be fit for combat. Now that I think of it, Dahyun and Sana might be a couple. I can sympathize though, she's dorky and quite the sunshine. She's quite young too, her youth doesn't show in battle though. Jihyo had business with a mining company, requesting for raw materials for Sana's research and she saw the feats of the young lady. Dahyun's performance didn't disappoint. She's hard to bring down.

Mina Myoui, the white wolf on the bloodstained snowfield. We refer to her as 'Guardian' as her unmatched sniping skills make us feel safe in the middle of the battlefield. Her quiet personality and beauty can make you forget about her occupation. I'm not very surprised that Jihyo picked her to become part of the company and I feel blessed for that too. Her suit is quite similar to Jihyo's as both came from the military thus, having evasive rolls. Her sniper rifle is probably the deadliest out there, both the gun and the user itself. It's a bolt-action sniper rifle with a gimmick on the reload function since it's energy-reliant as well. If the reload is timed right, the power of the loaded shot is stronger, a half-baked one gives a lesser powered shot and a bad one makes the shot normal. We can trust on Mina getting the timings right as she's hard to disorient. Her sniper rifle has the function to charge up too, making her deadly and powered shot go through anyone in her line of sight. It requires her to stay still to pull off though. She also has a spotter drone that reveals the weak spot of the scanned enemy, making it easy for everyone to take down. She spends a lot of time with Chaeyoung, both training and relaxing. She talks a lot about the kid too, otherwise she would just be playing games or sleeping. Chaeyoung's really lucky to receive training with someone was legendary as Mina.

Tzuyu Chou, the youngest in the group. Also a crazy loader. Jihyo discovered her in the streets after the kid left thugs down on the floor when they tried to mug her. She was unscathed. When Jihyo asked about Tzuyu's job, the leader was surprised. She offered the kid a job opportunity at the company as a cargo delivery person. The kid accepted and soon enough, she wanted to join the crew as well. Her loader suit comes with a debris shield which grants her complete protection from harm only for a few seconds since more would exhaust the suit and a pair of power fists which Sana modified it to have function similar to a grappling hook, making her propel toward anything it latches on to. To add to that madness of an upgrade, she gave the kid M440 Conduits which are basically lightning rods that connect when two are deployed. Only two could be deployed though. The suit was only supposed to be used for loader job purposes but it wasn't confiscated since Jihyo was her commander. The power fists are strong enough to knock anyone off the ground during the deadly three-hit combination that she loves using. Her work nature makes her naturally blunt, and that makes anyone susceptible to her ability to disrespect. That's why we love her though.

Minjoong, Tzuyu's pet "dog" but is actually an alien that walks on four hind legs. It's actually feral but Tzuyu apparently tamed it. No one knows where she found it but she said that she saw it locked inside one of the cargos and pitied it. I guess the alien wanted that freedom and it owes it to Tzuyu. The alien's offensive actions couldn't harm what it thinks is friendly and Sana actually researched using the toxin it released to create her no-friendly-fire technology. It's amazing. It's claws are actually poisonous, making anything it claws out miserable. The slime it leaves on the ground occasionally actually speeds our movement up. It can manually shoot out a projectile spray of neurotoxin which can disable it's enemies. It could also release an epidemic-like toxin which spreads to anything it deems an enemy so fast. Who knew DNA was that intelligent? Tzuyu loves this "dog" so much, she spends most of her time playing with it. They're both lucky to have each other.

And lastly the Chef. The crew's kitchen worker bot turned into an absolute killing machine. Also made sentient. Sana's really gone mad on this one. One day we saw the bot functioning as normal and suddenly when I did my routine of greeting everyone in the morning, it actually responded. I was more confused than amazed. It's actually a chill robot to be with. Cooks you food and can actually protect you. I love it. Sana added a tech like she did on the rest of us that gives it self-generating cleavers which work similar to a boomerang. The bot also has a fire breathing ability, which was the flame used for cooking just turned so strong, it knocks anyone who gets hit away. It's also paired with it's ability to spill oil, making it's "customers" drenched in oil as the bot flies spilling it for a few seconds. She also added something she called "boost tech" to it where if it gets the bot activates it, it boosts the next attack it does. It's cleaver throwing ability turned into it throwing nine cleavers in a CIRCLE, fire breathing and oil spill combinations stronger. This robot is the testament to Sana's insanity.

Oh, I actually forgot to introduce myself. I, Momo Hirai, an ex-mercenary. I was picked up by Jihyo after my failed assassination contract to kill her happened. She respected my skill and spared my life by telling Mina to not pull the trigger while I was under her sights. I'm glad that she did. She's actually better than my contractor. And I actually admire her both as a normal person and as a commander. I'm the fourth member to be added in the squad, making me the first person to become a newcomer in their crew. My weapon is a energy beam sword that I could turn on and off anytime I want to and my suit is specialized for continuous melee combat and is actually bloodthirsty. It allows me to dash in supersonic speed in a short distance, adding another charge to my dash if I slice and enemy in the middle of it. I could only do it in three successions before the dash cools down. The speed is enough to stun the enemy I passed through. I could also disappear and slash anything within a close range in supersonic speed but the technique requires concentration so I can only do it for a few seconds and reappear in where I was from again. It also exhausts both me and my suit. My ninja training gave birth to that skill and my acrobatic feats. One of my specialties is spinning mid-air with my sword, making a circular slashing motion. Off work, I stay in the cafeteria to eat Sana's food or the Chef's food, otherwise I'd stay outside or in my room to train and rest.

So we were all in the UES Contact Light, our space train, assisting in the safety of the delivery of the classified cargo. We were close to the planet of delivery and Jihyo was resting and Sana was on her shift in the bridge, monitoring the travel. I was up in the armory, checking my items when suddenly I heard several explosion in some part of the ship. Everyone on the ship was suddenly alert and Sana announced from the bridge that the storage room was intruded by a big guy with a sword.

"All the cargo holds have blown up! It's gonna crash this train, with no survivors!" Sana announced through the crew's call.

"Everyone get into the escape pod!" Jihyo announced.

All eleven of us got in the escape pod and wondered what the hell was in there and how the hell it got in the UES Contact Light.

"I've never seen it before, it wields something... magical. It generated energy out of the sword and the last thing I saw was monsters teleporting in the cargos. I'm actually intrigued." Sana explained.

"If anything, it surely wants us dead." Jungyeon said.

"What I'm sure is that, JYP Enterprises will want us dead for failing this delivery." Tzuyu said.

"No... They warned me about this. I didn't know it would be this soon." Jihyo said.

"Prepare for impact. We're gonna hit the ground soon." Mina said as the pod started to blaze through the atmosphere.