Three years

This Love (drabbles)

 

This is a plot from a manga I’ve read and I just tried to twist it a little bit.

 

 

 

 

 

When I was in middle school, our teacher explained to us that love has a lifespan of three years.

According to science, your heart starts beating faster because there’s a narcotic being released inside your chest. It is called pea (phenyl ethylamine) and humans interpret it as love. But since the substance has a limited amount, after two to three years being with your partner, it won’t release it anymore and the abnormal condition would end.

I can’t really ignore that fact, when that is what happened to my parents. They decided to have a divorce after 2 and a half years of being married. So I thought back then, grown-ups are idiots for falling in love.

But then, the following year, I fell into it rather quickly.

He was the school doctor, and I met him for the first time after I threw up because of running in P.E. His hands were gentle as they soothe my back, and the smile he gave when he told me I should rest before going home were so kind. Starting that day, I hang out on the clinic even when he told me I shouldn’t and would hit me jokingly. He’d threw a lot of lame jokes and I’d lie if I’ve said that he isn’t funny. Then we’d go home together since our way was also the same.

Once I’ve realized my feelings, I’ve decided to bear with it patiently and fight against it until my feelings calmed down.

Three years.

For just three years, I’ll be okay again.

“Hyung, do you have someone you like right now?” I asked as my legs swing alternately on the desk.

A shocked face looked up at him and a blush crept into his cheeks. “Don’t ask me that, Taehyungie.”

“Heh, so you got one, huh? Is she pretty? Long legs? A student? Ew hyung, don’t do that, it’s child abuse.” I said, smirking and patting his wide shoulders.

“I’m not that old! And why are you asking?”

“I’m just curious.”

“How about you? Do you like someone?”

I grinned at him. “I do.” It’s you.

“And?”

“And it doesn’t matter because it’s only a one sided love, hyung. Also, feelings only lasts for three years. It wouldn’t matter after that.”

Seokjin hyung didn’t answer.

 

 

Three years. Bear with it. Because if I can do that, these feelings should disappear.

I wouldn’t have to worry about losing him when he knew what I feel. We could stay as friends and I could get to hang out with him a little longer at the clinic and he’d still let me sleep there in vacants. I’d still hear his jokes and his laugh. It’ll be alright.

 

But thinking back, it was in my second year in middle school. I’ve already graduated in college and those three years already passed. Still, if I wait just a little bit longer… maybe these feelings would disappear one day.

“Hyung!!!” I called at him and wave as I saw him on the front of the train station. Running towards him, and seeing as he smiled kindly at me, it felt like I was back on that very first day I saw him. He was my love, the only love that my heart had been beating this fast.

“Taehyungie! Aah, so cold.” He said as he patted my head. “How’s your work?”

“I’m so tired, hyung. I’d like some burger.”

“Just burger?”

“Will you treat me to anything?”

“Of course! After all—“

“Jinnie!”

We both looked to where that soft voice came from. A pretty girl walked to us and clung onto Seokjin hyung’s arms. I smiled at the both of them, trying to ignore the stabbing pain in my chest.

“Yeah, after all, it’s your 1st anniversary as a married couple.”

 

 

Love only lasts for three years. After that, the abnormal condition would be gone.

Still, why can’t my love for you won’t disappear?

 

 

 

 

I know, I'm sorry TAT