Episode 1

The Doctors

tumblr_o6xzn9kMTG1u7a1sco1_500.jpg

Episode 1

Kim Jong In laid silently in his dull, vacant room. He stared at the polystyrene tiled ceiling, counting each tile. He wondered if he'd ever dance again. Dancing was his life, but when he started to get the headaches and seizures his dancing career died. He began to tap his feet to an unheard song as he finished counting the last tile. Jongin's eyes suddenly widened as he began to feel it. The world around him started to close in, making him feel as if he was being enclosed in a tight box. Jongin didn't even have time to push the call button before he froze. The monitor in his room began to beep rapidly accompanied by extremely heaving breathing. Within seconds of his temperature soaring he began to convulse.  A young nurse entered the room once she heard the rapid beeping of the monitor. She slammed her hand on the Code button to alert the hospital of a code blue. Immediately three doctors and two nurses entered the room. This was the first moment that Dr. Do Kyung Soo laid eyes on Jongin.

"What do we got?" Kyungsoo asked almost in a demanding tone. The two nurses went to grab the chart only to have the younger nurse speak up.

"Kim Jong In, 32 year old male, newly onset seizures intermittent for the past three days." She responded quickly. 

"Help me move him to his side." Dr. Kim Min Seok demanded once he realized vomit starting to pool in the young man's mouth. With the help of the younger nurse they adjusted his position safely. Minseok pointed to the another nurse. "I need 10 cc of diazepam." 

The nurse quickly drawled up the medication and handed it to the impatient doctor whom began to administer it to the ventrogluteal site. After a few moments on his side Jongin stopped convulsing. Minseok cleared the patient's mouth to improve his breathing as he checked the patients vitals.

"What is his diagnosis?" Kyungsoo asked grabbing the chart from one of the nurses. 

"The patient has Leptomeningeal Carcinomatosis." Dr. Kim Joon Myeon stated. This patient had been admitted to his unit for a few days now and Joonmyeon had been treating him for the cancer since then.

"LC?" Kyungsoo looked upon Jongin who was breathing shallowly still unconscious. 

"It is still only in his brain but it progressively expanding each day. I am afraid it will reach his spine." Joonmyeon said eyeing Kyungsoo.

"Chemo?" Kyungsoo asked. 

"Yes but I'm not sure it will slow down the growth. We were going to start radiation today." Joonmyeon said looking at his watch. 

"Let's take another MRI of the patient, so I can see if I can help." Kyungsoo said as Minseok stabilized Jongin. 

"Based on your x-ray it seems you have a sesamoid fracture. I feel that you should wear orthotics which offload the area in order avoid any unnecessary pressure. This fracture will never heal fully but it will become asymptomatic." Dr. Park Sung Mi stated.

"And if it doesn't stop hurting?" The elderly woman asked. 

"If it..."

"If it doesn't stop hurting, I can go in and take out the broken bone. This will help relieve any pain." Dr. Kim Jong Dae interrupted while walking into the room. He had been standing outside listening to the new doctor speak to her first patient. 

"Yes. Dr. Kim and I could discuss who will preform your surgery but that is only if you feel any discomfort or pain. I'd give it a month before you decided anything. If in a month you still feel pain call me and I'll set up the surgery." Sungmi said faking a smile. She could not believe Dr. Kim would walk into the room and take over her patient. 

"Dr. Park will discharge you but if you have any issues please don't hesitate to call me." Jongdae said making Sungmi's blood boil. After they both left the room Sungmi grabbed Jongdae by the arm pulling him into the nearest empty room. 

"Are you kidding me. Who do you think you are?" she said angrily. Jongdae laughed. 

"You are not qualified to preform surgeries." He said still laughing. 

"Not qualified. I was the top of my class and top of my residency in surgical procedures. I am a surgeon as much as you are."She yelled. Jongdae couldn't help but continue to laugh. This woman thought she could come into his hospital and take his patients and surgeries. He wouldn't have that. Moving his face closer to hers he spoke sternly.

"You will never make it in this hospital as long as I am working here. Mark my words Dr. Park, I will not have you thrive here." He said his mouth millimeters from hers. 

"Do what you must, but I can tell you one thing Dr. Kim. Dr. Wu did not hire me because I was a push over." she said then pushed him out of her way as she exited the room. It was then that the war between Jongdae and Sungmi began.

"Did you hear?" Dr. Byun Baek Hyun asked Dr. Oh Se Hun who was carrying a box of theater clothing. 

"Are you talking about Dr. Wu hiring Dr. Park?" Sehun asked struggling keeping the box in his arms. Baekhyun smiled. 

"Yeah. I heard Jongdae tried to steal her very first patient." Baekhyun said. Sehun rolled his eyes. Baekhyun loved gossip and loved when there was tension in the air. 

"Does Jongdae always have to be a prick?" Sehun asked.

"He wouldn't be our Jongdae if he wasn't." 

"I remember when I first started working here. He would change my surgical schedule to fit around his own." Sehun said remembering when Jongdae used to hate him. Baekhyun finally realized Sehun was carrying an oversized box, pushing slightly on the box he almost knocked it out of Sehun's grasp.

"For the kids?" he asked motioning to the box. 

"Yeah. We are putting on a performance for the children." He replied. 

"You have to be the craziest doctor I know." Baekhyun said admiring Sehun's dedication.

"My department of the hospital is a magical kingdom. The children don't realize they are sick. That is why I do what I do."  Sehun said as they reached the elevator. Baekhyun shook his head. 

"Do you need an extra cast member? I heard I am good at acting." Baekhyun asked. Sehun smiled. He was about to respond when Baekhyun's pager went off. 

"Next time. These women can't get enough of me." he said as he began to run down the hallway. It was his 6th emergency delivery within 4 hours and this one was going to be twins.

The monitor continued to beep at a steady pace as Dr. Lu Han finished his last suture. Smiling behind his mask, he was pleased with himself. It was a simple heart transplant that went on without a hitch. Luhan never had any issues with his surgeries. He had never lost a patient on the table and planned on keeping it that way. After degowning and degloving, Luhan scrubbed his hands thoroughly then headed out to discuss the surgery with the family. 

"The procedure went perfectly. He is in the PACU and stable. One of the nurses from that unit will come and get you once he has woken up and moved to his hosptial room in the telemetry unit.." He said then left before they could ask him any questions. Luhan was an excellent surgeon, but one thing he was not good at was talking with people. He could care less and only spoke with the family because Dr. Wu forced him to. As he was heading back to his office he heard a deep voice call his name. Turning around he saw Dr. Wu Yi Fan walking his way. 

"What can I do for you sir?" He asked bowing slightly. Yifan looked at the shorter male and smiled. 

"I need your help with something." he said. Luhan rolled his eyes as he knew it had to do with Jongdae. 

"Anything for you sir." he said in a slightly sarcastic tone. 

"I need you to convince Dr. Kim that Dr. Park Sung Mi will be an assest to this hospital." Yifan said.

"I heard they already had an altercation this morning." Luhan said as they continued to walk. Yifan followed closely listening carefully to Luhan. 

"He is being stubborn. Dr. Park could help him relieve his hectic schedule by taking over all the patient's with below the knee problems." 

"You know Jongdae. He is too proud and will never let that happen." 

"Dr. Lu, please. He will only listen to you and you know it. You both have known each other since you moved here for med school. Please Han, I need you to speak to him." Yifan begged. Luhan would normally say no but when he did his residency at this hospital Dr Wu took him under his wing and helped Luhan through his ups and downs. 

"Okay but if Jongdae doesn't listen then I am sorry. I don't think she will last." Luhan responded. 

"I know. I know." 

 

I am horrible and this is not that good. My English is not that good but at least I tried. haha

I hope you enjoy. 

With Love