Chapter 3

Worlds Apart

3

On the outside, Myungsoo looked like a normal guy. It wasn’t very obvious that he had an intelligent mind, and can easily cope up with the advanced subjects in school. He figured out to start using this for his planned change.

And because he consistently maintained A++ grades in school, his History teacher Mr. Kim, took notice of his characteristics. It was not long after he turned 17 that he was especially taken care of the teacher. Mr. Kim and his wife were childless for so many years and they saw the feature of a perfect child in Myungsoo. In short, they fostered Myungsoo became the model parents for him, giving him everything he needed. The couple was not considered very rich but due to their pensions, they could easily afford a quality education for Myungsoo.

A year after graduating senior high school, Myungsoo easily topped the entrance exam for Seoul National University, the most prestigious academic institution in Korea. At 18, he started his college life, taking up Bachelor of Science Major in Business Administration. After 4 years, he graduated with flying colors.

He became a professor for a year before he was sent to an Ivy League in the United States. At 23, he started earning his Masters in Business Administration majoring in Sales, Marketing and Finance. At the same time, he set up his small company MegaWare, a production line. He finished his MA degree in two years time and was not contented he immediately took his Doctor of Philosophy in Business Administration.

His company flourished during the years and he gained a lot of partnerships in America, Europe and Canada. When he finished his last degree, he concentrated in expanding his company and it soon became a group of companies, making it MegaWare Corporation.

Myungsoo, now aged 28, became unmeasurably wealthy. But again, he wasn’t contented; he wanted to gain a partnership with an Asian company.

--

 

Park Jiyeon walked the glass floors of ProHomes, a company that specializes in producing home decors and furnitures. At 27, she was the President of the company of her father who is now in bed rest due to a heart attack. She hastily walked in the conference room along with a couple of men and company staff; then she started the meeting.

The meeting was about the constant decrease in sales of the company, along with the absence of a CEO. “We need to look for an investor who is willing to provide us new things and ideas, as well as financial assistance.” Kim Do Hyun said, the Managing Director.

“We really need to. But given our current economic situation, I doubt it will be easy to find one.” Park Sehun added, the CEO of SKJ Housings Inc., a sister company of ProHomes.

“At the least, we have to try.” Jiyeon responded.

“Actually, I have one prospect investor.” Lee Seo Joon interrupted, the Executive Assistant. All eyes were on him when he said that. “As a matter of fact, I received an email that he might be coming tomorrow, to look at the company place. What do you think?”

Everybody’s faces in the room beamed in relief. This could be their last hope to save the company from possible bankruptcy.

--

 

As early as 6:30 am, my plane landed on Incheon National Airport, South Korea. With Secretary Ahn and an excessive number of escorts (which was arranged by him), I rode the white Mercedes Benz, followed by a convoy of two black cars.

“I already booked your stay in a five-star hotel in Seoul sir.” Secretary Ahn said. He was in the driver’s seat, and he looked at me through the rearview mirror.

“Cancel that Secretary Ahn. Please book a hotel in Anyang. I want to see my parents.” I replied, and looked at the window- examining the city. Compared to America, Korea is still very much neat and comfortable. Though 12 years had passed and there had been a lot of industrial changes in the country, I still don’t forget that I grew up in this place and nothing seemed more home to me than here.

“What time should I set the appointment with the company?”

“Lunch.”

“Is there anywhere or anything else you want to go or do sir?”

“Ah let’s stop by a shopping center,”

“List down the things you want to buy here sir. I will buy them,” Secretary Ahn said, offering me a small piece of paper and pen.

I laughed, “Secretary Ahn, you’re too much. What would the people say if they knew a 28 year old guy like me can’t do shopping? I’ll do it.”

Secretary Ahn pulled the paper and pen back.

“I knew you’re going to be like this ever since you arranged for that convoy behind us.” I smiled and looked at him through the rearview mirror.

 

 

“Myungsoo, I’ve arranged a luxurious Mercedes Benz for you so you can use it here on Korea, but why did you buy a bike?” Secretary Ahn said, when two guys unloaded the things that I got from the shopping center, including a bike.

“Just that I missed biking…” I grinned.

“Well you had plenty of time in America, yet you didn’t even bother to buy one. You’re not telling but I know it means something else. Right?” he muttered when we rode the elevator to the 29th floor of the hotel. I did not answer. “Memories…. They surely are powerful.” Again, Secretary Ahn spoke as if he was talking to himself.

When he swiped the card key on the door and we entered the suite, I stared at the window which overlooks the city and its busy highways. I can say that the busyness of this place is practically similar to the United States.

“You can put everything there, then you might as well go and tour the city.” I turned around and told the two White guards. “Secretary Ahn,”

“Yes sir?”

“Book a room for yourself and I’ll contact you if I ever need something.”

“I’ll just find a pension house for myself-“ Secretary Ahn protested.

“I said book a room for yourself..” I repeated and winked at him. Secretary Ahn is like a father to me. He was my assistant since I started the company. Back then, I remember him working his off on paperworks because I was very busy with school. Now, I’m grateful that he stayed through those hard times and continued to be with me. That is why as much as possible, I give him everything back by providing for his comfort especially now that he’s aging quite fast.

“Then tell me immediately if you need something.” He said and then excused himself out of the room.

 

When I was left alone, I sat down on the leather couch and looked around the place. It was huge and complete with all modern furniture and décor. There was a 55-inch flat screen TV, as well as a cinema surround stereo component. A bar counter was also present, along with Chivas, Bourbon, Whiskey and several other types of wine and liquor. The kitchen was especially equipped with a coffee maker and tea brewer.

When I went to the bedroom, the bed was a king-sized one and a Victorian style lampshade was willing to provide light during the night. The bathroom had a huge bath tub and the shower stall had marble tiles and a blurry, glass divider.

I looked at my jetlagged state in the mirror and thought about how I was standing here today. Then I realized I should go and pay my greatest respects to the persons who made everything of this possible.

--

Putting on my sweatsuit, I plugged in my earphones and drove the bike at 9:00 in the morning. As I drove, I noticed that the lush green fields and forest from twelve years ago now became a series of subdivisions and industries. Anyang has progressed so much through the years.

In ten minutes time, I arrived at a greenhouse in the middle of the untouched forest. I parked the bike near and glanced at the place. I went inside and I immediately saw the man I was looking for. He was fairly busy watering the plants in small pots.

“Father,” I called onto him.

He turned to look at me, squinting his eyes. I walked towards him. “Myungsoo?”

“Yes, dad. It’s Myungsoo.” I replied, and as I looked at his expression, tears started to fill my eyes.

“Myungsoo!” Dad bursted into a wide smile but it just made me cry even more. Ever since I studied abroad, I never once visited him and mother. I missed him so much I could not put it into words and just cry instead. “Why are you crying? Are you sick?” he asked.

I knew it; father has not changed. He’s still the one who’d care for you even though he couldn’t take care of his self more. “I’m sorry Dad. It took me so long to come back. And I’m not sick, I just missed you a lot. How are you?” I told him and wiped my tears.

“You should’ve told me you were coming. I could have told your mother to prepare.”

 

Just a few meters ahead the greenhouse, we walked to the house. “Have you been receiving everything I send?” I asked him as I dragged my bike.

“Yes. Thank you son- especially for the food supplements.” He grinned. My father is getting old and he really needs those supplements to get going.

“Is the greenhouse work exhausting? I told you, you should stay at home. “

“I can’t. It bores me.”

“The winter season is coming, here- I brought a jumper for you.” I handed him a bag with the jacket I just bought.

“How about mom? You told me her eyesight is getting worse.”

“Yes… but with the pension, she managed to get her eyes examined. She was given an eyeglasses but seldom wears it because she says it makes her look old.” The two of us laughed.

“She’s still the mother I used to know.”

Just in time, we reached the house. Mom was in the yard, taking her time to sweep the fallen leaves. “Guess who we have here, honey?!” Dad yelled.

Mom looked at him and then at me. “Hi mom. It’s a long time…” I walked to her and hugged her. She hadn’t said anything but cried.

“Ayyy, stop crying… it’ll make you old.” Father teased.

“You jerk,” she said to me, slightly tapping my chest.

“Hm?”

“You should’ve told us in advance. I could have cooked your favorite beef stew!” she added, now slowly wiping her tears of joy.

I held her hand and felt the wrinkles and roughness of it. “Look at your hand. I told you to stop working too much….. Here, it’s a beauty and handcream set.” I handed her the bag, the one I also shopped for earlier.

“Are you going to stay?” she asked.

“Actually, I’m on a business trip here. I have an appointment at lunch. I just arrived this morning and figured out to stop by.”

“So you’re coming back here again?” she started to tear up again.

“You know your son in busy…” Father consoled her.

“I’ll be coming back tonight or tomorrow. I could even stay for a week…. It depends on the deal that I’m trying to work on.”

“Alright. Just tell me in advance so I could prepare the room and cook some food.” Mom, who is now smiling, replied.

“Now I got to go back to the hotel and prepare. I missed you mom.” I smiled. I rode my bike and waved my hands at them. “I’ll see you again!”

--

 

Jiyeon’s POV

“Give me a background check, Mr. Lee.” I asked Mr. Lee Seo Joon, the Executive Assistant who recommended the investor I was about to meet today. The appointment will be at 12:00 today, and an hour before, I was walking throughout the place to give last minute instructions to the staff and employees. For the first time in the company’s life under me, I seriously prepared very much just to accommodate an investor.

“Graduated in Seoul National University with a BS degree in Business Administration. Earned both Master and Doctorate in Harvard University, USA. Started his own company at a very young age of 23. Gained a lot of partnerships in Eastern Europe, Canada and America. A very brilliant and intelligent person.”

“Is there anything else relevant that I need to know?” I said as I run my fingers on the second floor railings to make sure it has been polished clean by the cleaning staff.

“That is all that says on his company profile.”

I nodded. I leaned on the railings and looked over the ground floor lobby, waiting for the investor to come.

“Ah, this man is a bachelor at 28, and is very famous for being good-looking.” Mr. Lee added, but I do not see that information as relevant to the process of investor acquirement.

“He is here…” he said.

When I looked, it was true. A white Mercedes Benz stopped by, followed by a convoy of two black cars. Two white men each came out of the black cars and stood before the Mercedes. A middle-aged man stepped outside the driver’s seat and opened the door to the back passenger’s seat.

Meanwhile, all of my employees lined up from the door up to the second floor where I was, to form a human sort of pathway.

When he entered, together with his four white escorts, everyone bowed down in respect. He walked as a man of his own, looking very smart and elegant in a black Armani suit and slacks, and neatly polished shoes. He sported black tinted shades which perfectly matched his curled back hairstyle. When I watched him walk to us, it was difficult to say if he was indeed handsome.

“Mr. Lee?” In a short time, he arrived at where we were standing. Mr. Lee bowed down to him. “How are you? If I’m not mistaken, we last met at a conference in London, right?”

“It’s my pleasure to meet you again.” Mr. Lee replied.

He looked around the place once in a while and said, “The company is a bit small and old-fashioned.” I was surprised since as far as I know, we had the best building in the industry.

“It’s also a bit hot.” He fanned his face with his hands and the middle-aged man beside him handed him a handkerchief. I was really shocked, it was the first time we had our airconditioning system on full throttle.

He wiped his forehead and spoke, “And this is?” he referred to me. I bowed down.

“Ah, this is Park Jiyeon, the President of ProHomes. She was the one who needed this appointment the most.”

“Oh, the President,” he slid the handkerchief in his pocket. “I was not really impressed by what your people did. It’s a bit cliché.” I felt my insides being wrung out. I thought everything was going well but there is nothing that seemed right to this man. Still, I managed to smile.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you,” he muttered and took off his shades. “Matthew Kim, of MegaWare Corporation.” He smiled and offered me a handshake. But I was lost in his face because his features all seemed familiar.

 

A/N: The story of revenge starts..... will Myungsoo be successful or will love prevail? BTW i am so overwhelmed by the comments, upvotes and subscribes, i hope you keep them coming!! Stay tuned <3