Meeting

Suffocating (Can I Survive?)

He has many names for Hakyeon.

Angel.

Gift from heaven.

He uses them during different times.

He always starts out the same: “Angel, how are you doing today? Did you sleep well?”

And that’s what he’s doing right now.

One hand is placed on Hakyeon’s cheek, his touch gentle and his eyes soothing. Hakyeon pulls

away as he always does. Hakyeon also does not respond.

“Angel? Did you eat?”

Eat and sleep always come first. He’s always concerned about Hakyeon and his well-being it seems.

He glances over at the untouched bowl of stew as Hakyeon takes the moment to press himself back against the headboard of the bed, the chain around his ankle clinking softly. A soft pout forms across the lips of the other.

“Hakyeonnie. . .you have to eat or you’ll starve.”

Hakyeon looks at him for only one second. Then he stares at the bed.

“Hakyeonnie. . .listen to me. A boy like you, with a body like yours. . .angel, you need to eat.”

Hakyeon grunts softly. His ankle chain clanks again as he shifts on the bed.

Now come the compliments.

“I would hate for you to lose this body. What can I do? Should I feed you? Am I not taking good enough care of you already?”

Hakyeon bites his lip.

The other boy sighs.

“I don’t want to lose you. You’re my gift from heaven.” Placing a quick peck on Hakyeon’s forehead, the other boy grabs the tray of food and walks back out again.

Gift from heaven. That is what he calls Hakyeon when he leaves.

Ironic.

Hakyeon believes he’s in hell.

 



 

Only two days ago Hakyeon was living his perfectly normal life. Only two days ago he was working as the porter at the five star Aloft Hotel and Suites. It was a new job, and the pay was great. He had no complaints and a spectacular view of Gangnam. Helping people in the hotel carry their baggage made for a fine job; it kept him in shape, and he also met many people from around the world. High standard people too. An ordinary man could not afford a job at Aloft.

But on the fifth of May, everything changed.

Hakyeon arrived early. Donned in his navy blue suit and crimson bowtie, he was ready for a full day. His boss greeted him, as did another customer he helped the other day. She was from America, somewhere Hakyeon always dreamed of going, which he told her. She laughed and said how she dreamed of coming here. He took his lunch early, too. A simple Caesar salad without the dressing (he was on a strict diet.) Everything seemed to be going fine. But he wouldn't be going back to work that day.

He saw Hakyeon before Hakyeon saw him. Two tables in front of him, eating just a normal bowl of dolseot bibimbap like an ordinary, everyday man. Hakyeon saw him and thought nothing of it until he caught his eye. His eyes were breathtaking. Intense, yet beautiful, like deep onyx gemstones.

Hakyeon glanced away, taken aback by the intensity. He ate a couple bites of his salad, but when he looked back, the other’s gaze hadn't wavered.

A heat rushed over Hakyeon as he felt a quick moment of embarrassment, as if he was or some kind of food was stuck in his teeth. He swallowed. Told himself it was nothing. But the other's eyes didn't avert.

Feeling violated yet flattered, Hakyeon decided he was finished eating. His stomach fluttered and he wondered if these were butterflies some people talked about. He knew he was gay for a long time, but a boy never made him feel like this before.

But when he stood up, so did the stranger. And both of them walked to the same trash can.

Hakyeon threw away his salad and the stranger smiled faintly at him. Mustering up a bit of courage, Hakyeon made the first move.

“I love the bibimbap from there,” he commented, taking note that the other had finished most of his food. He assumed, because the other ate a lot, maybe they held that in common. At least, he hoped. “It's the spices or something, but I can't get enough of it.”

“Then why didn't you get some bibimbap?” The stranger questioned in a voice so fine and delicate that the softness could almost be felt, like it was a blanket made of air.

“Diet. Watching my weight,” Hakyeon responded, then felt silly and added, “Because I have no time to work out right now.”

“If you asked me, you don't seem like you need to watch any weight at all.”

“Ah, thank you.” Smiling a little bit, Hakyeon casually checked the time. “Oh! I have to return to work! It was nice meeting you. Who knows, maybe I will see you again during another lunch break!”

“Perhaps,” the other agreed.

Hakyeon started to walk towards the hotel, and to his surprise, his new acquaintance started to follow him. Adjusting his watch on his wrist, he asked, “Oh, you’re headed this way too?”

“Yeah.”

“Oh,” Hakyeon commented, and then he wanted to hit himself. What a dumb comment; how to sound so foolish. He opened his mouth to say something else, but couldn’t think of anything. What should he talk about with the stranger?

“Um. . .” He started, trying to make the walk seem less awkward.

That’s when the stranger spoke up.

“Do you want a mint?”

Mint. There it was. That was casual and acceptable.

“Sure!”

The other man took out the canister and shook out one for Hakyeon. He took it, thanking him, and pushed it into his mouth. It was a strong peppermint piece that dissolved quickly on his tongue. His breath felt fresher already just in the seconds he had it.

“I’m Hakyeon, by the way,” he threw in. That was casual enough too, right? He thought so. Names were casual and easy conversation continuers. If anything, it would make the stranger feel more comfortable around him. He was hoping the other didn’t feel as awkward as he did.

Aloft came into view, only a couple of meters away, and Hakyeon started to feel slightly dizzy. He wondered if he had enough to eat. Sometimes he would get light-headed if he didn’t eat enough food, but he had been eating salads for a couple of days now and they were holding him well.

Then his eyesight started to play tricks on him; it looked like that cobblestone underneath his feet was spinning. He placed one hand on his head.

“Whoa. . .”

He could feel the salad-bile mixture sloshing at the back of his throat as he started to sway. Maybe he had some bad lettuce today and it wasn’t agreeing with him.

“Hey, are you okay?” The acquaintance asked him.

“I’m fine. Really, I’m fine.”

But as soon as Hakyeon finished his sentence, his vision turned black, his legs grew numb, and he fell sideways onto the pavement.