one

Headway
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

``Let's take a break`` he said.  

She believed him. Hayi believed in that short four words phrase. She believed in his lies. She should have seen it coming though. The break up. After all, 'let's take a break' is just a nicer way to say 'let's break up', isn't it? The thing is, she didn't expect to see him with another girl so soon and perhaps that's why it hit her so hard realizing that things between them are truly over.

He left and she became someone else. Someone she didn't like. Hayi changed and not for the best. The girl turned into someone who cries for hours in the bathtub while recalling all the moments spent with her ex. Someone who feels nauseous whenever a love song starts playing in a store or on the radio when she's driving and she has to park the car over, because it's too hard to hold back her tears or even breathe.

The endless tears, the suffocating feeling, the pain in her chest. She just hated how soft and vulnerable she had gotten. So Hayi changed again, to someone different. Someone colder. The young female didn't like that personality of her neither, but she had forgotten who she was before she broke. Nothing mattered to her anymore and perhaps, that's why she was eating instant noodles at 1 AM, in a convenience store while facing the world through a window. She had lost the notion of time and maybe with that, herself also.

``What do you mean there's no spicy ramen anymore? `` Someone with a husky voice spoke.

``We're out of stock and that lady over there bought the last 4 packs`` The employee replied as he pointed at Hayi.

Hayi turned around from the window and faced a young boy standing next to the casher. He was wearing a gray hoodie with a pair of black ripped jeans, which were hanging way to low. His hairs were dark brown, curvy and messy. ``Hi`` she saluted him happily though it was last thing she was - happy. ''Want some ?''

The boy sighed as he approached Hayi. Sitting down next to her, he wondered how someone could eat so much. Hayi offered him a packet of ramen, he thanked her as he stood up and left only to came back a few minutes later, with his ramen cooked. 

"A girl shouldn't be out alone this late" he worryingly stated as he took the place next to Hayi. 

"A girl" Hayi snorted and laughed out loud. She didn't turn her head, but kept looking straight ahead, through the window. Nothing was funny about what he had said and he looked at Hayi as if she had lost her mind and maybe she did or maybe laughing for no reason had something to do with the alcohol she was drinking or maybe it was just the side effects of her pathetic life but whatever... Laughing was good even though, it didn't hold any reason.

"You know it really " ️she muffled,  full of noodles. Was she too hungry or trying to suffocate herself, who knows?

"What?" 

"Being a girl. We're always underestimated, put aside, there's the w, all the stereotypes, the discrimination etcetera"

Hayi was always told that she has a tendency to get defensive whenever she's drunk. Well, here's an example.

"I'm sorry" the boy spoke after a while.

Hayi started laughing again, this time louder. Why was he being so polite and awkward? The cashier glared at Hayi and she tried to control herself or he'll kick her out and she didn't want to go out. Because it's cold, because it's scary and because home reminded her of him, of all the movie nights they had there... She was still laughing when the boy asked "You okay?"

Hayi blinked and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter