A Walk On The Wild Side

Kaleidoscope
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I’ve been reading Melissa Brayden’s books like crazy lately and I’m super whipped, so I can’t help but write a Seulrene version of it. This one is based from Ready or Not. It’s slightly...err, PG-18 I think. Enjoy.

 

-----------------------------------------

 

“Yes, hello Joy, can you at least wait for another five minutes before ringing me again? Apparently, I can’t fly over there and I need to use my feet to walk.” Irene grumbled to her phone once it reached her ear for the third time that night, sighing as she strutted down the street faster with an umbrella in her hand.

It was a little past 9 PM and Seoul was raining lazily like its preceding afternoon, making Irene want to turn back to her apartment and crash under her blanket instead of venturing outside to meet her friends.

It had been a very long day at work.

“I just want to make sure that you don’t get carried away with work and forget your hangout with us again, okay?” One of the said friends spoke.

Irene brushed a droplet of water off her shoulder and glared at the wet spot it left on her dark blue business suit like it had killed her whole family.

Rude. That was Dolce and Gabbana.

“I never forgot our hangouts. I only ever came late.”

“Yeah, like three hours late when everybody’s ready to go home.” Joy drawled. Irene settled into more grumbles.

Well, she had done that before.

Once or twice out of necessity.

She had work to do.

“Office-work, pal. It’s the priority.”

Joy gasped at her comment and Irene smiled as she imagined the taller girl put a hand over her offended heart. “Are you saying that our cute little drinking ritual is unimportant? This friendship needs reevaluation.” She feigned hurt, but Irene knew that she was smiling. Her easy voice came as proof.

“You’ve worked enough, Bae. You pull crazy hours everyday. Heck, you even work harder than Wendy and I who you pay for job. Are you sure that you’re the CEO? Because we’ve been sipping martinis here since an hour ago while you work your off to damnation.”

Irene smiled at the faint boom of music behind her friend and glanced at her watch.

“Well, I don’t mind slaving away if it keeps everything on track. I love it when things are on track.”

She prepared herself for another series of rant about perfectionism -- because really, she was a little too obsessed with perfection and control for her own good -- but received a light, resigned reply from her friend instead.

“Just get your here soon, okay? I have good news to share.”

Joy sounded happy, and Irene nodded her answer before hanging up.

It wasn’t long before she reached their frequent destination; a bar called Showtime which served the best drinks in the city and offered a laid-back atmosphere.

Irene soothed her business suit that barely crinkled and shook the rain off her killer heels before stepping in, all neat and perfect like the Irene Bae that she was.

 

-----------------------------------

 

“So you are dating someone?”

She double-checked, eyeing her two workers -- friends -- in turns as Joy finished her story with flourish, arms hanging mid-air happily with a wide grin.

Wendy watched their leader’s looks with amusement.

“Yes, aaand...are you not going to congratulate me? Seriously? Give me a big, jolly hug or something? Because I’m kinda waiting.” Joy inclined her open arms.

Wendy snorted into her drink. “I think her little Irene brain is still in shock. She’s probably forgotten that we are capable of dating.”

It was right. Totally right.

They had been so busy running their fashion company in the competitive capital city together that Irene had unconsciously dismissed mundane things like dating from her mind.

She had let work consume her wholly but she probably should stop assuming that everyone else had too.

“Well, congratulations.” She said slowly, smiling eventually because no matter what, Joy’s happiness came first. “I hope you last forever with the girl and I will still cut your salary if you skip work for dates.”

She let Joy pull her into a warm, big hug. The tall fashion designer cooed happily. “Aww, thanks you badass little boss. I won’t skip work and oh, I hope you find your love life soon too.” She grinned.

Irene laughed and pulled away. “Well yeah not sure about that. I’m doing fine on my own. Dating takes too much effort. I hate to have my focus divided.”

Wendy shook her finger in disagreement. “You need a little spice in life, Bae. Get out of your business suit and get laid. It helps with productivity when you wake up all smiley the next day, trust me.”

“Yes, exactly. I mean, have you seen my face lately?” Joy said dreamily. “I’m practically glowing. Good saves lives.”

Irene shook her head at her best friends’ obnoxious comments and raised her drink for a toast instead.

“Let’s stop talking like hormonal teenage boys and just cheer for Joy, shall we? For better life and brighter days.”

Three glasses met in the center of the round table and before seconds they downed their drinks like true champions.

Joy let out a satisfied gasp and Irene followed after.

“That’s some pretty kickass martini.” She commented. “Right on spot. How do you know that I like mine dry and shaken?”

At this Wendy’s eyes sparked with sudden interest and mischief took shape on . “I don’t, but the hot bartender over there does, apparently.”

Irene followed her friend’s gaze and her eyes landed on a very attractive brunette tending the bar several meters away from them. Her thick hair was pulled up into loose ponytail and her white sleeves were rolled up to her elbows underneath her fitting black vest, hands shaking and tossing glasses with skilled precision while flaunting her ultra charming smile to everyone and their mothers.

“Kang Seulgi.” Irene said demeaningly. “I should have known better.”

“Oh, come on. Why are you always playing her down? She has been sending you free drinks for longer than I can remember.” Wendy threw her hands up dramatically. “That one you have just finished is free too.”

Irene glared at her just right after the said charming bartender tossed a look at her direction with the same attractive, easy smile that she seemed to always wear.

Annoying.

“Should have told me earlier so I wouldn’t drink it.”

“Oh, come on, Rene. She’s hot! I mean, do you see those lines of girls fawning at her over there? Hot bartender with hands that make the best martinis! Imagine what other things those great hands can do.” Joy implied.

Irene swatted her away. She sobered. “All right, the alcohol is getting me too excited. I’m heading to the dancefloor to burn some energy.”

“Me too.” Wendy said in tandem and followed the designer to slide off her stool. “Are you coming, Rene?”

“Nope.” Irene shook her head disinterestedly. “You guys go ahead. Twerking with strangers isn’t really my thing. Barbaric.”

The two exchanged knowing glances and shrugged as they headed down to chaos, leaving their stuck up leader alone.

 

-------------------------------------

 

It wasn’t until past midnight that Irene started to regret letting her two friends wander into the crowd without her.

The clock was nearing 1 AM and Irene, for the life of hers, couldn’t find the two idiots among the hysterical mass. Her glass had long since emptied and now she was starting to run out of things to fiddle with.

She slid down her stool and made way to the bar, intent on getting herself another shot of martini and olives before she died of boredom.

“Hi, what can I get for you?”

There were lines of girls crowding the bar but the chocolate haired, hot bartender -- okay, hold on a second, she didn’t just call this Seulgi girl hot, definitely not -- glided to her direction immediately as if she was a first priority.

“One dry martini, shaken, with olives as side.”

“Thought so. Coming right up.” Seulgi smiled that easy smile she always seemed to have, complete with a little dance of her charming brown eyes. Irene grunted.

Annoying. So annoying.

Good looking bartenders were the most annoying people on the planet because they thought they could flirt with everyone.

Irene begged to differ.

“Here, enjoy.” Seulgi pushed the glass to her direction and smiled again, looking even more attractive upclose and Irene had to physically force her eyes away from the captivating brown pools. They looked like feline’s. She loved felines.

No.

“How much?” She asked hoarsely.

Seulgi replied with an easy shrug. “On the house.”

Irene stopped reaching for her drink and stared -- glared -- at her. “You should stop giving me free drinks for whatever reason you have because I’m perfectly capable of paying.”

“And I’m perfectly capable of giving it for free.”

Irene stared at the brown-haired girl in disbelief as the said girl only kept on slicing lemon casually, making other drinks and keeping an eye at her with that same annoying smile.

“You don’t make quite a good worker right now. Aren’t you going to get in trouble with your boss?”

“Doubtful. I bring in more than I give out for free, I think.” She inclined her head to the direction of girls lining up for her at the bar and Irene instantly understood the implication; she brought up more customers than the drinks itself. It flared her even angrier.

This smug, overly-confident damn of a girl.

The said girl flashed her a teasing grin. “But aw, thanks for looking out for me. I’m flattered.”

“Oh, don’t be. I won’t go that far.” Irene said brusquely and snatched her drink away rather offensively. “Thanks.”

Seulgi watched as the rude brunette stomped away and smiled to herself.

Damn that hips sway was to die for.

She would like to stop grinning like an idiot but the tight business-suit and killer heels wouldn’t let her.

 

------------------------------------------

 

“Yes, hello mom. I’m on my way there. No, I don’t forget. Everyone should stop assuming that I forget everything, I’m just busy at office.”

Irene stepped deeper into her pedal and the blue sedan took faster charge down the streets, maneuvering turns and crooks nimbly.

“Actually, I’ve just arrived. I will walk down the beach house now.” She hung up the call and parked her car skilfully, stepping down not long after to be swept by pleasant sea smell and refreshing cool wind.

Soothing her white floral dress, she tucked her flying strands of hair behind her ear and made way to her parents’ beach house.

The house they only used for beach party during grand celebration.

It was her parents’ 30th wedding anniversary.

“Hi, sweetheart. There you are. Wow, you look wonderful.” She was welcomed with a kiss on her cheek as she hugged her mother tightly.

“Hi, mom. Where’s Dad? I don’t know half of the people I’m seeing right now.”

Her mother chuckled lightly and led her inside. “Well, that’s because you rarely join us for any party. These are our business partners, and oh, your father is over there speaking to your aunts and cousins.”

Right, her aunts and cousins.

She should totally avoid that area for the rest of the afternoon.

“Is there something I can help?” She asked. Her mother shook her head quickly. “No, sweetie. You’ve done enough work at office. You will sit down and enjoy the party while I’m going there to greet some guests, okay? I love you.”

Irene was left to wander the party alone after a kiss on her cheek and she smiled awkwardly at random guests that she didn’t even know the names of.

When her cheeks started to hurt, she noticed a bar overlooking the beach that her parents had probably set up for the event.

She could use some drinks right now.

“Wow, hello there. Didn’t think I would meet you here.”

Irene stopped dead in her track.

Chocolate ponytail, tight fitting white blouse, and signature black vest that hugged a slender form in all the right places.

Plus blinding smile.

Annoying, bright, blinding smile.

“Seulgi.” She breathed, biting the insides of her cheeks because she didn’t know what else to do. “What are you doing here?”

“That’s a rather hostile greeting.” Seulgi said, but she looked anything but offended. The small smile still adorned her ridiculously attractive lips. “I’m well, working, as you can see.” She lifted one glass with vodka to imply.

“You left Showtime?” Irene asked, climbing to one of the stools. Talking with Seulgi wasn’t the best activity she could come up with but it was better than forcing down smiles at unknown guests. At least she didn’t have to pretend to like this girl.

“Oh, no.” Seulgi laughed, slicing lemon and expertly mixing some rum. “I start working at Showtime from 9 PM to 3 AM. I accept a lot of side-jobs out of that time.”

Irene nodded and the brunette grinned widely. “Now you know my daily shift at Showtime. Wait, was that intentional?”

Irene sent her a glare -- not as fierce because she had somehow adapted to Seulgi’s obnoxious banter -- and replied dryly. “Har, har. Very funny you.”

“I’ve been told.” Seulgi smiled easily again but stopped before Irene’s eyes popped out of their sockets. “Dry shaken martini with olives as side?”

“Yes, please.” Irene sighed, hugging herself from the cool, blowing breeze. “How do you know I like that one actually? I’ve wanted to ask.”

“It happens when you work in a bar someone frequents at least thrice a week.” She smiled. “You just kinda pick it up.”

“So you remember all of your frequent customers’ favorites?”

That earned her a slight change in Seulgi’s smile, deeper and different with slight shimmer in her soft brown eyes.

“No. Not really. Just yours.”

Irene felt her cheeks heat up and prayed that it didn’t come up with stupid blush. Because why the heck would that make her feel lit up like a goddamn candle?

“You flirt way too much.” Was the only lame reply she could muster.

Seulgi laughed softly, tinkling, as she pushed the finished martini to her. “Only with you, if you haven’t noticed.”

At this point, Irene was sure that she was darker than any shade of red. The sheer burn on her cheek was ridiculous, she couldn’t feel her face.

She needed to get the hell out of there.

“I’m going. Thanks for the drink.” She said hurriedly, sliding off the stool.

Seulgi lifted one shoulder and smiled. “Only the best for the best.”

 

-------------------------------------------------

 

By the time sunset rolled that day, Irene had felt more than tired.

Talking with her aunts and cousins -- whom she failed to avoid -- had worn her out more than any kind of all-nighter at office could do.

Her relatives were a handful -- always boasting and bragging among themselves like some sort of competition -- and Irene was dying to get out of their conversations.

She flopped on one of the empty bench facing the sea and rubbed her throbbing temple.

“Having a bad time?”

Seulgi’s voice came as breezy as the wind on the seawaves.

Irene looked up. She wasn’t sure if it was her headache, but standing there against the orange horizon above her head, Seulgi looked exceptionally striking.

She had taken off her black vest and let it dangle lazily on her shoulder, white sleeves pushed up to her elbows as usual and one button near her collar undone.

She looked laid back and relaxed, and Irene’s stomach churned.

“Yeah, family time, never my favorite time.” She managed briefly amidst her Seulgi-induced haze. Something was clearly wrong with her.

“Figure. You looked constipated the whole time you were talking to them.” Seulgi slid casually to the spot next to her and smiled when Irene looked at her weirdly. “What?”

“Constipated. Such description. I should probably feel offended.”

“But you don’t.” Seulgi said, lips tugging up.

Irene tore her gaze away from the very tempting, very full, red lips. “So, you’ve been watching me the entire afternoon? Is that your job?”

“Well, there’s no one here as interesting as you to look at.”

“You mean interesting because I look good or interesting because I look constipated?”

At this, Seulgi’s mouth opened slightly and closed again, discarding attempt at words as she smiled. “Only the former right now. Did you just flirt back with me?”

Irene flushed and looked away. “You wish.”

They stayed quiet for a while in a strangely comfortable silence as Seulgi leaned back against the bench and stared far into the sea. The sound of waves rolled around her and the gentle wind combed through her free hair in lackadaisical waves.

Irene wanted to stop staring but it was so picturesque, it was impossible.

“I really love beach.” Seulgi said, smiling. “It reminds me of my hometown. My brother and I used to run along the shore and make sand castles.”

Something in her eyes dimmed, and Irene thought she looked faintly sad for a moment.

“Where is he now?”

Seulgi pulled a rather heavy smile and looked at her. “He’s still there. He stays with my grandmother because he’s sick. I have to work here because there isn’t much job options available at the village.”

Something told Irene that Seulgi’s parents weren’t around anymore to do the job so she attempted a poor joke to light up the atmosphere.

“Nobody really chugs martinis and whiskeys at village, huh?”

Seulgi laughed softly and it finally reached her eyes again. “No one. Which is unfortunate because I happen to be good at my job.”

“I can tell.”

“You agree?”

“Well, I hate to, but it’s true. You make the best drinks. Your dozens other fangirls will agree too.” She didn’t know why she felt the need to mention the last part as if it would casualize her praise.

“And you are one of them?” Seulgi grinned, seemingly catching her hesitation.

Irene pushed her lightly on the arm. “Not that again.”

“That what?”

“That. Constant smile and cavalier flirting that looks so --“

Seulgi cocked an eyebrow while her red lips curved into a y smile and suddenly Irene didn’t know language.

“Annoying.” She finished with struggle. God. “You are so annoying.”

And she really meant that. She felt horribly annoyed right now while being strangely fixated on Seulgi’s full lips that seemed to part slightly. A strange combination of feelings that made her hot and bothered and even angrier at herself.

She squirmed, feeling weird sensation in her stomach.

“That’s a rather upsetting impression.” Seulgi stared at her lips too. When did they get so close? “I’ve tried to be anything but that. The free drinks are my witness.”

Irene swallowed, physically aching to rip her eyes away from the very tempting lips in front of her but failed miserably. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to -- I mean, damn it, I just wanna --“

Before she finished, Seulgi had pulled her for what she was dying to do at that very moment; colliding themselves in a messy smack of lips, and dear Lord, baby Jesus, and all other great saints on sky, it tasted like heaven on earth.

Irene would sell her soul to the devil for more of this hot kiss.

Seulgi’s lips moved against hers fast and vicious with want. No build-up and no warm-up was needed for Irene to be completely swept off to paradise. Her eyes screwed shut and her hands slid around Seulgi’s neck to pull her in deeper into their kiss.

Her heart pounded madly.

When a hot tongue swirled over her bottom lip and teeth sank into it shortly after, she moaned.

God.

She, Irene Bae, was being owned by a girl in her own beach house where her entire family could possibly watch.

But at that time, Irene found that she didn’t care. Seulgi kissed her hard to oblivion.

Messy. Sloppy. y.

Irene didn’t know that heaven could feel so hot.

“Wow, um, sorry about that.” Seulgi pulled away after some time with bated breath, chest heaving up and down as if they had just done marathon. “I, um, sorry, I couldn’t help but do that, I was --“

She stopped, staring at Irene endearingly, who was still struggling to catch her breath as she brushed her hair frantically -- half messy from the wind and half messy from Seulgi’s adventurous hands.

Seulgi smiled. “You should probably head inside. Your family will be looking for you.”

Irene nodded, said no words, and fled from the place as if she was chased by ghost, hurried and without a glance tossed back.

Seulgi broke into small smile.

Damn, she was adorable.

 

---------------------------------------------------

 

“Rene? Irene? Hello Bae Irene are you listening?” Joy snapped two fingers in front of her and Irene jolted out of her trance.

She took notice of her surroundings before registering that she was in her office, listening to Joy babble about their new designs before she zoned out a moment ago and trailed to less graceful thoughts.

Blasphemous thoughts.

“I’m sorry, what did you say?”

Joy put the files down and folded her arms indignantly, scrutinizing her strangely distracted leader.

“Something’s bothering you? You’ve been weirdly distracted these few days.”

Irene swallowed hard and fixed the collars of her grey suit. Joy noticed that it didn’t even need fixing.

“Nothing. Let’s keep going.“

“Did something happen at the beach house? You’ve been acting weird since then.”

“Nothing.” Irene restated, albeit a tad too fast and strong. “Are we going back to the designs or not?”

“If you insist.” Joy shrugged. “So weird to see you unfocused.”

Right, focus.

Irene hated herself to hell and back for losing the thing she valued the most.

Focus. Focus. Focus. Damn it, Bae Irene.

Ban away stupid red lips and stupid hot kiss on the beach.

Focus.

“Yeah, hello Wen? Oh, you’re there already? Alright, we will head down there in half an hour. Irene’s been weirdly slow with work today.” She cracked a smirk at the guilty leader and drawled. “We’ll see you soon.”

“What?” Irene asked, nervousness bubbling in her stomach as she knew what Joy was about to say.

The place.

“Wendy is already at Showtime. We should head there too.”

She tried to play it cool by nodding briefly but once Joy left her officeroom, she swore she didn’t leap off to bathroom and spend ten minutes trying to tousle her hair into y waves, nor did she intentionally let loose one button of her shirt and put on a red lipstick.

Nope. Definitely not.

 

-----------------------------------

 

When Irene stepped in Showtime that night, it was a little more crowded than usual. It was Friday night so most people were trying to blow off some steams.

She noticed Wendy waving from their usual spot and approached the sales manager easily with Joy tagging along.

“It’s pretty packed up here today.” Wendy said once Irene and Joy settled down. “Things are going a little crazy there with Seulgi throwing darts and being unnecessarily hot in her bartender getup. Damn, look at those girls screaming for her.”

Irene’s gaze flew to the said direction, and indeed, there were hordes of hysterical young girls screeching like hyenas around the said eye-catching bartender, smiling, smiling, and smiling that everlasting charming smile that she always smiled.

Irene bristled.

“You should probably join.”

“You think so?”

Joy stared with wide eyes as both Wendy and surprisingly Irene, replied to her question. “Wow, I mean, I aimed that to Wendy because she loved playing darts but,” She trailed into teasing smile and Wendy watched them in confusion. “Go ahead and play, champion.”

The strangely quiet and furious leader didn’t think twice before rustling down her stool and barrelling her way through the crowd.

Joy broke into amused smile as Wendy picked a fry. “What was that for?”

Joy shrugged. “I don’t know. I guess someone’s a little mad when the hot bartender is spilling attention somewhere else.”

Wendy hummed in understanding and clapped her hands off the crumbs. “This will be interesting. Come on, Joy. We can’t miss this.”

The two devils giggled in sync and made their ways to their hot-headed boss.

 

-------------------------------------------

 

Seulgi was feeling a little down tonight.

She had received a call from her grandmother prior to her shift saying that her brother needed more money for urgent treatment. Her shoulders had felt ten times heavier ever since.

She was never the one to admit helplessness against money but now she wasn’t sure what else she could do to cover the expense.

She had worked

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter