Our Destiny in the Stars

Viva La KrisYeol 2016!

Author: Skritz
Word count: 6053
Rating: G
Warning: none
Summary: Chanyeol is stuck in a foreign land and Yifan is being a little unmonk-like
Note: Older Chanyeol, Younger Yifan

Word prompts (5): Westbound, Wednesday, Acceptance, Space, Bunting

 


 

“Alright, everyone! Good work!” Commander Chanyeol Park said through his UHF Radio as he made his way back to the control room.

“Everyone on board?” He recognized the voice of Command Module Pilot Kangjoon Seo.

“Commander, this is Jung Yoon-oh. Our team will be there in T-minus 2 minutes.” Chanyeol watched them enter the spaceship through the screens. Once everyone was safely inside, the doors were shut and the spaceship was ready to head back home.




 

“The mission was successful thanks to all of you and your hard work. We are now heading back to Earth. It has been a long three months in space and I couldn’t have wished for a better crew.” The Commander said.

Everyone beamed, smiling brightly.

“And can we all congratulate uri Jaehyunnie for successfully obtaining his Gold Pin?” Chanyeol smiled brightly, clapping as loudly as he could.

He remembered the time he had gotten his Gold Pin. After graduating, he’d been proud of his Silver Pin, but the memory of receiving his Gold Pin couldn’t be compared to anything. He was on board with Shin Sungwoo, now a retired astronaut and a professor of Astronomy in SNU.

He could feel the happiness radiating from Yoon-oh, or Jaehyun, his preferred nickname.

“You must be excited, kid.” Kangjoon congratulated the younger with a pat on the back.

“I am! I can’t wait for the ceremony. My parents have been waiting for this for so long. I miss them a lot.” He sadly smiled.

“Three months is a long time, but we will be there as soon as possible. Don’t you worry.”

Chanyeol left the crew and waved for his Pilot to follow him. They made their way towards the control room.



 

“Mission Control speaking. Mission Control speaking.” The speaker in the control room buzzed.

“This is Commander Chanyeol Park speaking.” He responded immediately.

They had entered into the Earth’s atmosphere, about halfway around the Earth from the landing point.

“Commander, we will have to shift your landing to an area near Guangzhou, China. The current weather conditions in Seoul, Korea will make it impossible for a safe landing.” He motioned for his pilot to open up the map between Guangzhou and Seoul.

“Commander speaking. Are there no other space stations nearby? I believe there is a significant distance between Seoul and Guanghzhou.”

“As you know, Seoul is the only space station in the country. The storms have been coming in from the East. It will be wise to head westward. Guangzhou, China is the closest place currently that is safe from the weather irregularities.” The speaker said, his voice hissy and staticky.

“I understand. The spaceship shall land there. Please make the necessary preparations. Get us in hold with Guangzhou.” Chanyeol motioned the pilot to change the destination of the spaceship.


 

“This is Commander Chanyeol Park speaking.” The crew looked up at the speaker in the room and then looked at each other.

“Unfortunately, the weather conditions in Seoul make it difficult to land there, so our new destination is Guangzhou, China. I ask for your cooperation. Thank you.”

After the beep, everyone looked at Jaehyun, concerned about the youngest member of the crew. He looked dejected.

“It’s okay Jaehyun-ah. Don’t worry about it. Rather land safe and be late, than be on time and jeopardize your safety.” A crew member said, trying to comfort him

“I guess you are right…” Jaehyun said, still feeling upset. It had been so long since he’d seen Seoul, since he’d seen his mother’s lovely smile and his father’s happy eyes, and the day when he would see all that seemed to be fading farther away.

“You can always call them when we land. I am sure the WiFi in China should be good as ours.” Another attempted.

Jaehyun nodded sadly. He was beginning to feel homesick.



 

The crew landed a bit outside Guangzhou, in Xiaozhou.

“It feels weird to be in a foreign land.” Jaehyun mumbled as he stayed near the Commander for comfort.

“It’s okay. We will call your parents as soon as we leave this station. I believe SSRO* would be making arrangements for us to get back home as soon as they can.” Chanyeol smiled as they walked towards the offices of the space station.

“What’s the day today?” Kangjoon asked as they were filling in the formalities.

“I believe it should be Saturday?” Chanyeol forgot as well, he bent down to pick up his pen.

“Coming back to Earth can be a pain.” Kangjoon laughed. “I wonder if I will be able to eat and drink well.” He chuckled.

Chanyeol smiled as he waited for the team to finish the formalities before leaving the space station.

*Seoul Space Research Organization


 

Xiaozhou was a quaint little place. The place seemed away from the technology and modernization of Guangzhou. An untouched village. The overgrown trees seemed to form an interesting architecture of the village, the buildings made of mud and cow dung. The temples were tall, with intricate designs on the walls, telling tales of Gods and Demons. The canoes placed along the stream, the birds merrily chirping away-

“You don’t see this in Korea.” Jooheon said in awe. The members agreed.

As they walked deeper into the village, towards their accommodation, they noticed something.

“Is there a celebration today?” Kangjoon wondered.

Chanyeol wondered as well. There were many little flags tied on strings, decorating the entire village. And as they went deeper, more of these flags could be seen, and the general air of festivity hung in the air.

“They seem like Buddhist hymns.” Kangjoon looked at the said flags.

“They do. Maybe there is a Buddhist festival today.” Chanyeol observed.

“I don’t think so. If so, I would be aware of it. We don’t have a festival for the next 2 months.” Changmin answered. “Perhaps it a ceremony of Xiaozhou.”

“Perhaps.” Chanyeol hummed.

The pushed the doors of the little guest house, place where they would stay for the next few days.




 

“Ge! I heard there are people from space are living here!” Yifan excitedly told an older monk.

“Yifan! If you want to devote your life to the monastery, you better behave yourself.” The monk sternly told the younger.

“Ge! But still! I want to join the monastery, but doesn’t it still excite you? People from space!” Yifan excitedly bounced next to the monk.

The older monk let out a sigh. There was no use in attempting to change Yifan’s ways.

“I will miss you Han-ge. You will be Chief Monk after the ceremony. I won’t be able to be with you.” He smiled sadly.

“Fan…” Hangeng smiled warmly. “Why are you sad? Does it upset you that I am going to be the Chief Monk?”

Unable to reply, Yifan looked down in sadness. “How will you join the monastery if you left your emotions control you like that?” He teased slightly.

“Ahh…look at this person; he won’t even let me be sad anymore.” Yifan scoffed as he got up and walked away, leaving Hangeng warmly smiling at the younger knowing that his little teasing made Yifan feel better.






 

“Commander-”

“Call me Chanyeol now. I am not operating a spaceship.” Chanyeol commented lightly.

“Okay then Chanyeol…” Kangjoon grinned. “I am taking Jaehyun and Joonheon to Guangzhou. The boys have been missing home, and this place has no internet access.” Chanyeol nodded. “Changmin and Hoseok are planning to sight-see this place. Why don’t you join them?”

Chanyeol considered this. He had gone to GSS** that morning and spoke to SSRO. They had booked a flight from Guangzhou to Beijing a few days from now. There was still some time; it would be nice to get acquainted with this little village.

“I think I shall.”

**Guangzhou Space Station






 

“Whoa hyung!! This is so cool!” Hoseok admired the beauty of the temple they had entered. It was the main temple of Xiaozhou.

Changmin said something in agreement as his eyes trailed up the walls on the temple, appreciating the art work on them.

Chanyeol sat in the corner and observed the place instead. The place was beautiful yes, but there was something about this temple that brought him peace. His eyes rested on the giant statue of Buddha at the entrance. It was calming, the giant Being having such a content smile on his smile.

“It’s nice, isn’t it?” A voice broke his thoughts. Chanyeol turned to see a stranger smile and sit down next to him.

“You speak Korean?” Before anything, it was the first thought that struck him.

“Ahh…yes.” The man smiled as his gaze went back to admiring the golden statue. “I studied in Korea for a while, and then I followed my brother to this monastery.”

“Oh, this place is a monastery?” Chanyeol was hesitant now. “Are we intruding?” He felt uncomfortable.

“Oh no, don’t worry.” The man waved it off. “This place is open to the public. The monks have a separate, private place.” Chanyeol relaxed.

“So….” The man said. “I heard that there were people from space visiting us. Are you one of them?” His eyes sparkled.

“Yes.” Chanyeol smiled awkwardly. “That would be us.”

“Wahhh…that is so cool!” The man clapped his hands together in admiration, startling Chanyeol slightly. “How long will you guys stay?”

“We leave on Wednesday morning.” Chanyeol confirmed.

“Ahh… that is a pity; my brother’s ceremony is on Wednesday, around midday. There is a huge celebration, that’s why Xiaozhou has been prettied up like this.”

Chanyeol nodded, taking in the information. “Why don’t I show you around Xiaozhou around as a consolation for missing one of the greatest events in a long time?” The man asked with a slight grin.

“Sure, my crew members would like that.”

Chanyeol looked around once more, taking in the beauty of the temple. When he saw s leaving the place, he excused himself and got up to follow them out.





 

“Where are the rest?” Yifan, Chanyeol inquired, looking around him.

“They were tired from yesterday and wanted to rest. Staying in space for too long has made our bodies weak.” Chanyeol spoke worriedly, glancing back at the door of the cottage they were staying in.

“Oh, that’s a pity.” Yifan frowned. “But what about you? Surely you must be tired and weakened as well.”

“Well I did promise you.” Chanyeol looked uneasy. He felt bad if he would step back from a promise.

“Oh come on! Don’t be silly! Your health comes first.”

“No, no, I really want to see Xiaozhou.” Chanyeol smiled. “Please do be my tour guide.”

“You won’t be disappointed, I promise you! I know Xiaozhou like the back of my hand.” The monk grinned.







 

Turtle Hill Market wasn’t very far from Xiaozhou. In many ways, the bustling little market was something Chanyeol would have seen in the outer parts of Seoul, where one had access to the fresher and less processed foods. Chanyeol took in the wide array of foods, scents and colors that were part of this cozy market; the mothers and grandmothers that were actively haggling food prices and the equally stubborn sellers who refused to reduce. It was all part of the charm of this place.

Yifan pulled him along, occasionally stopping by some street food vendor, asking for a try in his fluent Chinese that Chanyeol had no idea of.  

“I just realized I may have forgotten something so important to us.” Yifan gasped dramatically. “I almost sinned!”  

“What do you mean?” Chanyeol squinted his eyes.

“Morning tea! How could I forget?” He wailed, shaking his head theatrically, making Chanyeol burst into laughter.

“Are you sure the monastery is the place for you?” He wiped his tears from laughter. “I swear that the theatre will best accommodate your colorful self.” He kept laughing, following the huffing to-be monk through the busy crowds of Turtle Hill Market.

“But what’s so special about tea?” Chanyeol inquired as he caught up with the younger.

“Oh…you did not just ask that!” Yifan turned around to face the confused astronaut. “It’s like asking what’s so special about air. Is air special? Is it?” Chanyeol should have gotten used to Yifan’s over-the-top ways, but two hours into the day, he still found it immensely entertaining. “There is nothing special about air, but it’s like…it’s like..” Yifan gestured as he was thinking, “it’s a necessity.”

Chanyeol bit back his laughter and nodded dumbly, not wanting to upset the younger more, but this was hilarious.

“Tea is necessity.” Yifan clasped his hands together as his eyes twinkled. “Tea is life. Tea is love.”

Chanyeol nodded dumbly again, and unable to control his laughter, he burst out laughing, well aware that the younger was shooting daggers with his eyes.

“You need to be educated, mister.” He huffed and walked ahead. “And to think space men were highly educated. What lies...” He scoffed and walked faster, unwilling to wait for the older who was still catching his breath.




 

“This is called Yum Cha, it basically means drinking tea.” Yifan sat down next to a vendor selling hot tea.

“I mean you do drink tea, what other use is there?” Chanyeol dumbly commented as he accepted the small cup, but Yifan pulled it away. “Okay I am sorry. No more silly comments.” Chanyeol flashed a silly smile.

“Generally I like yum cha with wet dimsum but the more popular choice is the dry one.” Yifan commented as he took a small bowl of guiling jelly (which was explained to Chanyeol as some herbal Chinese jelly) and Yifan put down a bowl of steamed buns for Chanyeol. “You might not like my taste, so I am playing it safe by giving you dry dimsum.” Yifan grinned as sat down beside Chanyeol.

Jal moke get sumnida!” Yifan grinned playfully as he took a sip of his tea and a small bite of his jelly.

“That doesn’t even make sense. You bought these foods for me.” Chanyeol corrected. “I should be saying it to you.” Chanyeol smiled. “Jal moke get sum nida Yifanssi.” Chanyeol playfully returned the grin as he took a bite of the steamed bun.

“You are forgetting your Korean mister.” Chanyeol teased as he leaned back in his chair and enjoyed the morning tea over a comfortable conversation with the younger.




 

Chanyeol and Yifan walked through the many markets and little stalls, stopping occasionally when Chanyeol found something worth buying, be it fabric for his sister or a cute little Chinese doll for his niece.

They stopped by another street vendor to buy more food.

“Rice rolls are the best. It would be a crime if you left the Guangzhou province without trying these heavenly delicacies.” Yifan motioned towards the street food.

Chanyeol eyed the street food. It didn’t seem like anything special. At the most it looked like rice with something stuffed in it.

“I am pretty sure we have this in Korea.” Chanyeol commented as he took a piece from Yifan’s bowl.

“I know. But it somehow tastes different here. Trust me.” Yifan urged Chanyeol to take a bite.

The soft bite, following by the explosion of flavors from the pork was indeed delicious.

“It’s delicious, right?” Yifan grinned knowingly. “Right?” He wore a teasing smile when Chanyeol refused to admit that indeed it was delicious.

“In Guangzhou, and also in Xiaozhou, it is commonly described as,” Chanyeol took another bite as he watched Yifan get into his trademark theatrical pose, “‘white as snow, thin as paper, oily and shiny, appetizing and delicious.’” He ended with his eyes closed and hands on his heart, his face full of emotion and Chanyeol threatening to choke because of the sheer hilarity of the situation.

A to-be monk expressed his deepest love for street food.

Not any food.

But street food.

And more specifically, rice balls.

Yifan opened his eyes and saw Chanyeol trying to contain his laughter, but ended up choking on the food that was in his mouth.

“That is what you call Karma.” He scoffed and walked away, not before throwing his water bottle at the annoying giant.







 

Hualong Agricultural Grand View Garden, also known as Hualong, was the last stop of their hectic day of sightseeing in and around Xiaozhou.

It was an interesting mix of nature and modernism. The interiors of the building were constructed with a contemporary feel to it, but the outside, the gardens, still had a raw and earthy feel to them.

“It’s beautiful, isn’t it?” Yifan smiled as they sat on the grass to observe the beauty of the garden and the lake.

“It is.” Chanyeol agreed. His eyes wandered over the lake, followed the birds flying playfully, the colors and beauty of the flowers. “It is.” He turned to smile at Yifan.

“I often come here when I want to clear my thoughts.” Yifan’s eyes were on the birds who were picking on the grass. “It’s a pretty bustling place, but this place calms me down. It’s like despite every bad thing we have done, despite all the people in the world, natural beauty like this still exists.” Yifan explained as he leaned forward to rest his head on his knees.

Chanyeol looked away from Yifan and saw the perspective he was talking about.

It made sense.

Man had gone built roads through mountains, ventured into the depths of the sea, and even travelled into space. There was very little that nature had to itself.

And even if this place was man made, nature’s beauty was incomparable. Nature had made this beautiful, not man.

Chanyeol turned to face Yifan.

 

“Hey, would you like to go stargazing with me tonight?”








 

Chanyeol and Yifan returned to Xiaozhou late afternoon. They separated with a quick promise to meet up that night and Yifan would take them to a place where it was relatively clear so they could see the sky.

“Took you a while, hyung.” Chanyeol was bombarded with the younger crew members as soon as he stepped inside.

“Yeah. I guess.” He smiled as he toed his shoes off and went to go wash his hands and face.

“But like…you don’t even know him, hyung. I am surprised you were able to hang out with a stranger for a whole day.” Jooheon teased the older, who paid no heed while washing his face.

“I guess; he is comfortable to be around.” Chanyeol replied as he went towards the kitchen. “And it’s not like I didn’t invite you. I called you over as well.” He responded while gulping down water.

“Yeah, that’s because we wanted to give you space.” Hoseok joined the teasing while wagging his eyebrow suggestively. “Changmin hyung and I saw you at the temple. That’s why we thought it was best you to be with him alone.” Jooheon and Hoseok hi-fived as Chanyeol escaped the teasing youngsters.

“You guys are silly. What are you even suggesting; that there is something between us?” Chanyeol rolled his eyes as he took off his jacket.

“YES!” This time Jaehyun joined the trio, who were now sitting on their hyung’s bed, not minding as Chanyeol was changing his clothes to something more comfortable.

“Not you too, Jaehyun.” Chanyeol groaned as he threw his clothes into the laundry basket.

“Yes me too hyung!” He jumped excitedly on the bed. “I am sure you like him hyung.” He grinned knowingly.

“Yah, Chanyeol. There is no use lying to us.” Kangjoon added. Chanyeol turned to see Changmin was already in the room and Kangjoon was leaning on the doorframe. “Jaehyun and I were going for a walk.” He grinned at the younger boy who was giddy with excitement. “And we heard you making plans tonight…” Kangjoon added teasingly.

And that was when Chanyeol’s façade dropped and he sheepishly looked at his crew grinning knowingly.

“I guess there is no use lying now. Is there?” He scratched the back of his neck shyly.

“NOPE!”

Chanyeol knew he wouldn’t be able to get away.






 

“And then ge, we ate Shuang Pi Nai and you should have seen his face when he I told him that Long Hu Dou had snake and wild cat in it.” Yifan clutched his stomach from laughing.

“You are mean Fan.” Hangeng said while watching his younger brother’s antics.

“Oh come on ge. It’s not every day you get to entertain people from space. Isn’t that amazing?” Yifan sobered up. “And guess what, Chanyeol said that he wants us to go stargazing. He said that although the Guangzhou sky is affecting us, he can still me some stars. Isn’t that cool?” Yifan’s eyes sparkled and continued blabbering in excitement, reciting all the events of the day he had with space man Chanyeol.

His older brother said nothing.











 

“Oh, Commander Park Chanyeol! Looking good!” Yifan winked. Chanyeol looked down at his clothes.

“Seriously? You call his good?” Chanyeol teased. “This is like the least attractive clothes I own.” He laughed. Yifan laughed at his statement. “Stargazing can be a messy business, mind you. It’s best done lying down. I hope you are not attached to those clothes.” Chanyeol teased.

“Excuse you. I am monk in training! I am not attached to these worldly possessions.” Yifan held his chin up high.

“Not attached? The sightseeing says something completely else.” Chanyeol laughed. “Reme-”

“Don’t you dare!” Yifan’s threat made Chanyeol laugh even more as he followed Yifan.




 

“The sky here isn’t clean here.” Chanyeol observed, Yifan hummed in agreement. “Even back home, you can’t see the stars.”

The two were lying on the sheet that Yifan had brought along. They stared at the hazy sky above them. How did a clear sky look like even.

“I guess I got lucky when I saw how beautiful the sky is when I first went to space as an astronaut.” Chanyeol reminisced those moments with his then commander Shin Sungwoo. He was a father figure.

“Tell me about the stars.” Chanyeol looked at Yifan. His voice had gotten softer and less shrill, something different from earlier that day.

Chanyeol said nothing and turned to look at the sky, well aware that Yifan was watching him waiting for an answer.

“They are mysterious.” Chanyeol voiced out. “They are fascinating.” Yifan pulled away and looked at the sky. “As children, we were told when someone dies they become a star.” Yifan hummed in agreement. “Sometimes I think that’s true, even though I’m an astronaut and I know the science of it all.

“There are souls living in those stars. Protecting us, guiding us, like our elders would.” Chanyeol smiled softly. “They are comforting but so mysterious at the same time.”

No one said anything for a while.

The soft breeze whistled in their ears and the soft chirping of crickets was heard from a distance.

“Would you…” Yifan slowed as Chanyeol faced to address him, “would you become a star as well?”

Chanyeol looked at Yifan in the eye, unnerving the younger slightly. There was something about the older’s gaze. It was filled with emotions, but the same time nothing at all. He would attempt to identify what he saw in those brown orbs, but Yifan couldn’t. Not when he was drowning in the beauty of those warm eyes.

“If it would mean that I could protect my love forever, then yes I would.”








 

Chanyeol went to the temple early that morning. Yifan had told him that the day before the ceremony would be busy for the to-be monk as he would help in the preparations of his older brother’s ceremony. Chanyeol had offered help and Yifan reluctantly agreed saying that he should be at the temple early morning.

“Chanyeolssi!” He turned around to face Yifan in a fresh and clean set of robes carrying a bucket of water. “Wow! You are up early.” Yifan grinned as he put the bucket down.

“I said I would be. How can I help?” Chanyeol inquired politely.

“Well the townsmen are already helping with the preparations of the food and cleaning the temple and Xiaozhou. Honestly there isn’t much you can do.” Yifan scratched the back of his neck with uncertainty.

“Oh…then should I go h-”

“No!” Yifan blurted. “I mean…”He quickly composed himself. “You could help decorate the temple? There aren’t many people right now and…” Yifan shyly stopped.

“I will help then.” Chanyeol smiled brightly and followed Yifan.




 

Decorating the temple wasn’t a big feat. They followed the cleaners and waited for them to clean the room before Chanyeol, Yifan and a few others proceeded to decorate the halls with a fresh, fragrant flowers, hanging lanterns, and-

“You seem to be enjoying this.” Yifan commenting as he watched Chanyeol climb the ladder to tie the garland of flowers on the pillar.

“It’s fun.” Chanyeol didn’t argue. He helped Yifan with the strings of flowers, and watching Yifan expertly weave them between the pillars.

Something changed between them. Both of them felt it but neither dared to acknowledge it. The sneaky glances, and sudden embarrassment, those slight grazes of the fingers, all jolted deep down.

Their eyes locked together, and they stayed there, drowning in the warmth of beauty and-

“Yifan! It’s time to go eat!” The two jolted away in embarrassment. “Bring your friend along.”

Yifan nodded and awkwardly translated the words and told Chanyeol to follow him.


 

 


 

The rest of the day went on without much event. After lunch the two had been separated. Chanyeol continued working on the decorations while Yifan was called to help elsewhere. Unwilling to leave Chanyeol alone, the older urged him to go ahead as he had gotten the hang of it.





 

They briefly met when Chanyeol told him that he needed to go home and pack. The sudden news felt like ice buckets being poured on Yifan. Time had fled so soon, so quickly; he hadn’t realized how fast. He couldn’t ask the older to stay on for longer, his home was in Korea, his life was in Korea.

And Yifan was soon about to become a monk. What purpose did it serve to ask Chanyeol to stay back for a bit?





 

Chanyeol went back to his lodgings and found everyone busy packing. He quietly joined the flow and started packing his things away, wishing that the pangs he was feeling would go away.

“Hyung…” Chanyeol turned around and saw Jaehyun approach him with a sad face.

“What’s wrong, Jaehyun? Missing your parents?” Chanyeol worriedly pulled the younger to sit on his bed. “Don’t worry. It’s just another day. You will see them soon.” He smiled warmly and ruffled the younger’s hair with affection.

“Hyung…why do you want to leave?” He interrupted.

“What do you mean?” The older was confused.

“Hyung…Yifan is here. You really like him.” Jaehyun pressed.

“It’s true, Yeol. You haven’t liked anyone in ages.” Chanyeol turned around and saw Kangjoon leaning on the wall, and he noticed that the rest of his crew members were all present, worriedly looking at Chanyeol.

“Whether I have liked someone in the past or not does not change the fact that my life is in Korea.” Chanyeol responded with a sigh. “Feelings come and go. I will get over it.” He  smiled at his crew.

“But hyu-”

“Jaehyun…I said I will get over it.” Chanyeol pressed slightly. “Why don’t you go? I need to pack my things.” Chanyeol wore a cheerful smile and got up to pull his suitcase out.

Chanyeol knew that they were saying the right things. Romance and fantasy do not go hand in hand with reality.

Reality was always crude. And it had to be like that.

Chanyeol had no reason to stay.

He worked for SSRO and it was something he loved immensely. Here he neither knew people, nor the language. Everything was in Korea.

Chanyeol really had no reason to stay.





 

“Okay! So is everyone ready? Has everyone packed everything?” Chanyeol shouted at the top of his lungs. He was doing a last minute check in all rooms.

“Changmin hyung, did you pack sandwiches and the drinks?” He asked. After crosschecking and making sure that everything was in order, everyone sat inside the minivan that would take them to Guangzhou.

Chanyeol observed the excitement of the day. It was Yifan’s brother’s ceremony that would make him the Chief Monk. The little flags with Buddhist mantras were extra colorful and extra jumpy, as if the ceremony of the new monk brought a new life to them.

The people were bustling with energy and happiness. The air seemed fresh, as if nature itself was blessing the ceremony that was to be held that day.

With a heavy sigh, Chanyeol pulled himself away from the scape of Xiaozhou and looked at his hands in deep thought, not noticing the frowns his crew members were wearing while they watched Chanyeol’s despair.






 

“What’s wrong, Fan?” Hangeng noticed how quiet his younger brother was. It was odd. Generally Yifan was filling him excitedly of the day’s event, not sparing a single details.

Yifan said nothing and quietly continued his preparations for the ceremony that would be held in a few hours.  

“Yifan.” Hangeng sterned addressed the younger, gripping his wrist to stop him from avoiding him. “What’s wrong?”

And that’s when he saw the tears in his younger brother’s eyes. His instinct was to become worried and ask for what was wrong, but he knew better.

Yifan would tell him on his own pace.

“Ge…”It was so soft, Hangeng could have missed it. “How did you decide that you want to be a monk?” He quickly wiped his tears away.

Hangeng sadly smiled.

“Is it Chanyeol?” He knew Yifan would refuse it, and he did. “I never asked you to become a monk. Why regret?” Hangeng calmly responded, letting Yifan take in the information.

“Bec-Because…I…I” Yifan stuttered, unable to find an answer.

“Because your calling was never the monastery.” Hangeng supplied. “You were meant to do other things Fan.” He reached over to cup Yifan’s face with his hand. “I didn’t want you to become a monk. It wasn’t you.”

Yifan finally let him release those sobs that he was holding.

“I am sorry ge…I am so sorry.” Yifan rushed into Hangeng’s embrace. “This was supposed to be your day, and I am ruining it by bringing so much negativity. I shouldn’t be doing this… it’s not fair to you.” He sobbed as he hugged his brother tighter, unwilling to let go. “I should be happy…but…I am sorry ge.” His voice got muffled as he hid his face in his brother’s chest.

“No, Yifan.” Hangeng patted his back comfortingly. “As much as this is my day, why don’t we look at it as the day we brothers had our lives changed.”

Yifan pulled away in confusion. He eyes were red and swollen from the crying.

“Today I become Chief Monk…and today is when you finally decided your true fate.” Hangeng smiled warmly as he handed Yifan a small note.

Yifan took it, not without throwing a look of confusion.

“Open it.”


 

Yifan hyung. I hope you can read Korean.

Hyung…please don’t leave Chanyeol hyung. Please find him. I am leaving his address with you and his phone number.

Please hyung.

I hope you will get in touch with him.

  • Hoseok

 

Yifan looked up in disbelief at his brother. This wasn’t happening. How? When?

“One of the crew members came to me. I didn’t understand what they were saying, but he kept saying your name. I guessed this note was for you.” Hangeng smiled. “And I see I was not mistaken.”

A tear rolled down Yifan’s stunned face.

Choose your destiny, Fan. I trust you.”

 

Yifan nodded, suddenly smiling brightly, rushing towards his older brother to hug him again.


“Thank you ge. Thank you so much.”






 

3 months had passed and the weather was beginning to get chilly. Chanyeol wrapped his scarf around his neck and walked through the cold wind to work.

Contrary to what he had said to his crew members back in Xiaozhou, Chanyeol hadn’t gotten over Yifan. His friends had set him up on blind dates with many men and women, but none had clicked like he had clicked with Yifan.

Chanyeol shook his head, attempting to erase any all the thoughts of Yifan as he walked into the reception, making his way into his office.

“Good Morning sir. I got a call from Professor Shin Sungwoo a few minutes ago. He would like to talk to you urgently.”  

Chanyeol nodded and proceeded towards his work area. He still had quite a few reports to finish from his trip and the professor was most likely to call him for a lecture at SNU.

“So when will you be free?” As expected, when Chanyeol called Sungwoo, it was what he had had in mind. Professor Shin asked him to make some time free for a lecture.

“This week is hectic, sir.” Chanyeol said while going through his calendar. “How does next Friday sound? I have a few hours off, I think I can make it.”

“Next Friday?” He heard the older hum. “Is there no way you could shift it up?” Chanyeol apologized saying there was no way. He eyed at the amount of work that was sitting on his desk. He really could not afford to break away from the work load.

“Alright then, I will slot you in then. But do take a breather from time to time, Yeol. I believe we have yet to meet up over some drinks.” Chanyeol chuckled and promised that he would make plans as soon as work was under control.

He sighed as he sat in his chair, letting himself take a breather before starting work.

“Sir?” He looked up and saw the secretary looking guilty for interrupting Chanyeol’s much needed space and breathing time.

“Yes, Seulgi.” Chanyeol reluctantly let himself up on the chair and politely answered the receptionist.

“Sir. Someone left this for you. I told them I would give it later, but he insisted on having this delivered now.” She seemed uncomfortable as she delivered a small letter.

“Thank you Seulgi.” He took the letter and waited for her to leave before opening the contents.

There were two things. First was a ticket, Chanyeol didn’t dwell much into his confusion, his answers were probably in the letter, that was the second thing.


 

Hi,

You have no idea how long it took me to write this. Like wow…did you know how hard it was to write a letter?

 

Chanyeol scrunched his eyebrows in confusion. He looked at the name of the sender that was written below.

 

Yifan

 

And in desperation and eagerness he started from the beginning and read the whole thing.


 

Hi,

You have no idea how long it took me to write this. Like wow…did you know how hard it was to write a letter? I bet you don’t, being the annoying person you probably still are.

There are many reasons I am writing this letter.

Firstly, I must say you have an amazing crew. I don’t doubt their potential to help you in space but even on Earth, they do an amazing job.

Secondly, I left the monastery. And just like how you suggested, I joined the theatre. I am finding it pretty fun to be honest. How is that you know me better than I know myself?

And thirdly, I joined the theatre in Korea. The ticket I attached with this letter is my first show. It’s not a major role, so don’t get disappointed. But despite the small role, I want you to come.

The show is this Wednesday.

Better not miss it.

Yifan


 

Chanyeol had a wide smile on his face when he finished reading the letter. It was almost as if he could hear the younger speak. He looked at his calendar. It was busy with work. But it was Yifan’s first show. Surely work could wait, right?

He smiled and then read the letter again, chuckling at the weird spelling mistakes and the cute handwriting.

He was going to treasure this; this letter and the second chance with Yifan. He wasn’t going to give it up to reality.

Perhaps fantasy coexisted with reality, and he didn’t know that. But oddly enough, the ex-monk to-be had known it. Maybe that’s why Yifan didn’t give up.  

Chanyeol smiled wider.

He couldn’t wait for Wednesday.