Prologue

태양 처럼 - Just Like the Sun
Please log in to read the full chapter

Edited (13 Jan 2019)

This was the very first page, not where the story line ends

 

"And that should be the last one” she says as she tapes the last box. 

The girl cannot believe how 4 years of her life can be packed into only 2 boxes, 1 large luggage and a backpack. Having finally finished high school, she has to remove everything from her room, as per the dorm’s rules. The shelves are now void of her books, wardrobe stripped of her toppling clothes, and no more paraphernalia strewn over her desk. The room is back to its original state, except for that one yellow trashcan she bought in Daiso. It’s too bulky to bring home but will definitely be useful for the next inhabitant of that room. That will be the only trace that she was there.  

It’s bittersweet. She’s excited to see what the future brings but there are too many precious memories made in this very dormitory. That is the place where she forged so many new friendships, experienced so many ridiculously fun episodes and learned so many things. But life goes on and she has to close this chapter of her life. 

“Ya, are you done? You gotta start showering soon! We need to leave in around 1 hour, in case you haven’t realised” Yeonwoo, her roommate and best friend for 4 years said. 

With that, she immediately snaps out of her trance and moves to their shared bathroom for one last time. Last one, at least for now. 

“Yeon ah, this might sound sappy, But really, thank you for accompanying me to the airport” the dark-haired girl says. 

“Look at all the stuffs you’re bringing, what will people say if they know I’m not helping you” she says jokingly, bumping shoulders with her best friend. Despite the joke, she knows that Yeonwoo just wants to spend more time with her before the half-year long holiday. As soon as the exam ended, Yeonwoo always took her window shopping around town and wake her up early in the morning for a jog. So it is no surprise that she wants to go all the way to the airport with her. Even when her own parents are coming over in a few hours to pick her up. But then again, they don’t even know whether they can end up in the same university after this. So, the last few days after exam were truly precious and she appreciates the gestures. After all, Yeonwoo is the one who can better express her feeling in this friendship. 

As soon as the two girls step down from the taxi, they are welcomed by the hustle and bustle in the airport. It is crowded like always, and even more so because this is holiday season. Many people are going abroad for some travelling or going home, like she is. It is such an interesting place. Its walls probably hear more laughter, prayers and cries than some churches. It is the place where people are anxiously waiting for their loved ones to come back, also a place to send off precious people in their hearts. 

Finding the allocated counter for her flight is not difficult at all. As she’s queueing to check-in her belongings, Yeonwoo waits at the chair just across the counters. It feels rather weird to have someone waiting for her. She is usually independent. She usually cannot wait to go home, to be finally back in her parents’ arms. She usually goes home alone, Yeonwoo always has her parents pick her up as soon as the holiday starts. Not this time. 

From strangers to the bestest friends, she can’t fathom how grateful she is to get Yeonwoo as her randomly assigned roommate on day 1. Thinking about the 4 years spent together… She can’t even imagine having anyone else as her roommate now. 

The long queue doesn’t feel that long with all the time spent reminiscing. After successfully checking-in her luggages, she looks for the all too familiar girl in her signature ponytail.  

“Yeon, thanks for waiting. Sorry, it takes longer than I expected.” 

Yeonwoo replied by saying the wait was nothing because she has her phone constantly ringing because of her parents messages. The ponytailed girl has to leave soon if she wants to

Please log in to read the full chapter